Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Jimmy G did make it to a SB.

Caserio was the highest paid 2nd in the NFL. Paid like a GM.

Caserio took a promotion to the 3rd highest paid GM in the NFL. It's really as simple as dollars and cents.

Again, the Pats were clearly high on NC as their number 2 but maybe not enough to outbid the Texans to keep him when they’re in the process of rebuilding after losing their HoF QB. They could possibly have someone else they feel is confident enough to take over if their 68 year old coach/gm decides to retire. Who knows, except the Pats.

Texans gave new GM Nick Caserio a six-year contract that makes him one of the three highest-paid GMs in the league, per source.

As mentioned before, I do like that Cal is not scared to spend the money. I wish I had the money to pay for all my mistakes! lol

That's the question mark.. they're now paying four GM's all within the last couple years. Take that into account with paying the new head coach as well as the old head coach plus the cost of assistants etc.. sure there's no rule-based salary cap, but there may well be a financial cap on what an owner is willing to fork over.

Man, when you put it that way. . .:thinking:

It does put the 'fun' in dysFUNction, tho'!

Hopefully he keeps that wallet open for the rest of the staff that Caserio will need to do his job.

I’m glad they gave him 6 years and he is going to get to hire the HC. For the first time Texans might be able to have a long term vision for the team and maybe even a HC and GM that are on the same page and not having conflicting visions.

Yep, I agree. I'm a fan of the old-school model, i.e. owner>GM>HC. And I think this is how Caserio learned and operates. I doubt Belichick held a boardroom meeting to make decisions.

Let this be a lesson for all, this is what BAD meddling ownership looks and acts like. The Texans are not fixing anything. Cal is just doing another round of laundry, wash, rinse, REPEAT. Watson figured it out and now too understands this. "Some things never change" This is what the McNairs DO! Like every classroom of 32 students (owners) there is always a class clown (Cal).

Maybe Cal learned some of the lessons his dad experienced. Hiring a GM first to interview and hire his own HC is a big step away from the status quo on Kirby.

I'm still skeptical, of course, but this seems like it has the potential to correct the course of this franchise.

Proof will be in the future and seeing how they operate. I get the feeling that Cal does not like the spotlight, both in terms of media relations and scrutiny from various football decisions. Hire a GM and let him take the heat. Now, as an owner, sit back, enjoy the games, count the money, and hold the GM accountable when required.

We shall see.

I listened to a radio interview yesterday with one of the local NE radio hosts. He said that Caserio was really hands on in scouting as well.
Running drills and throwing all the passes during receiving drills. I'm not sure how I feel about Caserio overall, but I did like what I heard regarding scouting

Not gonna' lie, the more I hear about him, the more I like his qualifications. Dude was ingrained into the Patriots system. Belichick showed him a lot more of how things work than he did his assistant coaches. That's the basic nature of a "right hand man", which everyone is referring to as Caserio's relationship with Bill. Caserio was in the middle of front office operations and scouting analysis, certainly more than any given asst. coach. Hopefully Belichick's obvious desire to keep him with NE is indicative of qualifications that he knows will be hard to replace.

Again, the Pats were clearly high on NC as their number 2 but maybe not enough to outbid the Texans to keep him when they’re in the process of rebuilding after losing their HoF QB. They could possibly have someone else they feel is confident enough to take over if their 68 year old coach/gm decides to retire. Who knows, except the Pats.

Kraft was never going to pay BB top $$$$ and Caserio #3 GM $$$$.

That's bad business.

Lets hope Kraft regrets not handing NC a blank check. Letting a young talented guy that’s been groomed for the position by their HoF coach/GM could prove to bite them in the arse.

I actually don't think it has alot to do with money, though that certainly plays a factor. I read an article in the Boston Globe, which I am to busy to find again right now, the first time we tried to hire Caserio that talked about NE has a problem in that there is a ceiling and that ceiling's name is Belichick. Anyone that wants to be promoted past a certain point either as a coach or in the front office has to leave NE to do it because there is a hard cap on how high you can go. If BB looked to be about to retire then maybe he would have stuck around to be the heir but BB is showing no signs of stopping and he sure isn't going to let this last season be the period on his career. I think Caserio knew that if he was going to be a GM anytime soon then he had to leave NE. After 20 years of being a first officer I'm sure he was ready to sit in the captain's chair himself.

I actually don't think it has alot to do with money, though that certainly plays a factor. I read an article in the Boston Globe, which I am to busy to find again right now, the first time we tried to hire Caserio that talked about NE has a problem in that there is a ceiling and that ceiling's name is Belichick. Anyone that wants to be promoted past a certain point either as a coach or in the front office has to leave NE to do it because there is a hard cap on how high you can go. If BB looked to be about to retire then maybe he would have stuck around to be the heir but BB is showing no signs of stopping and he sure isn't going to let this last season be the period on his career. I think Caserio knew that if he was going to be a GM anytime soon then he had to leave NE. After 20 years of being a first officer I'm sure he was ready to sit in the captain's chair himself.

I very much hope this is the case. If not, the Texans have once again bought fools gold from the New England gold mine.

Your statement about out bidding the Texans is based on assumption.
The Pats might have made an attempt but Caserio wanted to be a GM, and build his own team.

Is this the 1st time that the team preacher picked a GM for an NFL team? They are talking about Deshaun maybe wanting a trade on Sirius 204 if they hire a defensive HC. Deshaun was apparently not overthrilled with the GM hire.

Again, the Pats were clearly high on NC as their number 2 but maybe not enough to outbid the Texans to keep him when they’re in the process of rebuilding after losing their HoF QB
That's exactly what they did when the prevented him from interviewing with us & extended his contract.

However, Caserio demanded he would be allowed to leave for a GM position.

NE isn't ready to let Belichick go. Caserio isn't ready to wait another year.

Texans General Manager, Nick Caserio's Biography

Nick Caserio was named general manager of the Houston Texans on Jan. 7, 2021, becoming the fifth general manager in franchise history. Caserio joins the Texans after spending 20 seasons with the Patriots, including 18 in player personnel. During his time with New England, he won six Super Bowl titles, which is tied for the most by any NFL franchise in league history, and was credited as one of the architects of the Super Bowl XLIX, Super Bowl LI and Super Bowl LIII teams.
In Caserio's 20 seasons with New England, the Patriots made the Super Bowl nine times with six wins, captured 17 AFC East division titles and were a playoff team every year except 2002, 2008 and 2020. Caserio was instrumental in drafting, signing and developing players who were essential pieces of one of the most successful dynasties in NFL history. Along with his time in the player personnel department, Caserio coached the Patriots wide receivers in 2007, in which the offense helped break the NFL record for points scored (589) en route to an undefeated regular season.
Caserio was named the director of player personnel in 2008 after serving in a number of roles for the personnel department and coaching staff. He was the Patriots wide receivers coach in 2007 following a three-year stint as the team's director of pro personnel (2004-06).

Read more

Is this the 1st time that the team preacher picked a GM for an NFL team? They are talking about Deshaun maybe wanting a trade on Sirius 204 if they hire a defensive HC. Deshaun was apparently not overthrilled with the GM hire.

He wanted a culture change and Cal ignored that request/ concern. For some reason they’re still stuck on Bill O’Briens vision. And that’s doing things the Patriots way.

Yep, I agree. I'm a fan of the old-school model, i.e. owner>GM>HC. And I think this is how Caserio learned and operates. I doubt Belichick held a boardroom meeting to make decisions.
I'm sure that's exactly how Belichick runs things. He can't do everything he does & have it any other way.

The only difference is that Belichick sits at the head of the table. Between everyone & the owner.

Our screwed up model had everyone reporting straight to McNair & Bob (rip) wasn't very good at defining lanes & getting people to do their job.

I'm not saying there was. Someone laid out all the salaries McNair is paying out to exGMs & coaches.

Fact is we don't know that he is.

& while a lot of things happened in the last 18 months, getting out of contractual obligations would go a long way towards explaining them.

We know that these are almost without exception guaranteed contracts. Barring bad personal behavior they're paid out in full even when relieved of duty. And I know that I've never once heard of a 'go 0-4 eject lever' clause.

Just speaking to what we know here.

He wanted a culture change and Cal ignored that request/ concern. For some reason they’re still stuck on Bill O’Briens vision. And that’s doing things the Patriots way.

Based on OB's vision/results.....the Patriots went right, then North and the Texans went left, then South, directly into the shittter.

Last edited:
McClain: Those who know Nick Caserio believe he’ll thrive with Texans
John McClain an. 6, 2021 Updated: Jan. 6, 2021 7:43 p.m.

As New England’s second-round draft choice in 1995, Ted Johnson played inside linebacker for 10 years and earned three Super Bowl rings.

Johnson was a six-year veteran when Nick Caserio was hired as a 26-year-old offensive assistant in 2001. Johnson watched Caserio progress through the organization to become Bill Belichick’s director of player personnel in 2008 before the Texans hired him as general manager this week.

Johnson, who covers the Patriots for NBC Sports Boston and 98.5 The Sports Hub, joined me on a Texas Sports Nation podcast that’ll be posted Thursday. On Friday, my podcast with longtime Patriots beat writer Mike Reiss, who covers the team for ESPN and ESPNBoston.com, will be posted. Reiss offered fascinating insight into Caserio’s career with the Patriots and the impact he can have on the Texans.

As a former Patriots player and current member of the media, Johnson has an interesting perspective on the Caserio hiring. I asked Johnson: If he were back in Houston and still on the air as a co-host of Sports Radio 610’s afternoon talk show, what would he tell angry fans who are livid about the Caserio hiring?

“I think he’s going to be a great general manager,” Johnson said. “I hope fans give him a chance and don’t automatically assume he’s going to be a failure just because he’s coming from the Patriots.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

He’s not going to directly call anybody’s name out. Come on bro you should know this.

No I don't know this. You say that he is unhappy and wants out well I'm asking what evidence there is of that. Ok he said there needs to be a culture change well they've had that, OB was fired and a whole new regime brought in. He said there needs to be one guy who is the leader and his vision is followed, again they have that now, its Caserio who will hire the HC that best fits his vision. So all the things Watson was asking for and saying was needed the Texans are doing.

OB didn't do things the "Patriot way' in fact he was far to nice and gave guys to many chances. No way in hell Martin or Mercilous get those kind of contracts on the Pats and Clowney would have been made to play on his franchise tag while BB ran him into the ground.

What I don't understand is to be as high on Watson as you have been are you saying he is the type of player that would sign a new super high dollar contract with a team and talk about loyalty and being a leader and then want out the first time he didn't get his way? Nothing I have seen in him suggest that seeing as just a year ago he was defending OB. CAT posted this up little bit up the thread but it breaks it down nicely.

Now could he be wanting a trade, yeah of course but if so he's not the kind of player I thought he was and I'm not sure I even want him frankly.

That isn't the way I read it.

“We just need a whole culture shift,” Watson said Monday. “We just need new energy. We just need discipline. We need structure. We need a leader so we can follow that leader as players.”

It sounds more to me, that Watson is in agreement with Watt as far as there being a number of players in the locker room not giving effort. What I read out of Watsons comments, is that he believes the team needs someone in charge who is going to make the rules, and enforce them. Someone who comes to work enthusiastically, and someone who through that enthusiasm energizes the team. This to me.....sounds like the culture shift Watson speaks of. Not whether or not a GM/HC belongs to this tree or that tree.

And this little tidbit: “We’ve all got to be on the same page,” Watson said, via ESPN. “There’s too many different minds, too many different ideas and too many people thinking they have this power, and it’s not like that. We need someone that stands tall, and this is who we follow and this is the way it goes.” goes hand in hand with the quote above. Watson is directly saying this organization has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, i.e. NO REAL LEADER (in coaching staff and office).

Watson has never said "Don't hire people from Boston".

“We just need a whole culture shift,” Watson said Monday. “We just need new energy. We just need discipline. We need structure. We need a leader so we can follow that leader as players.”

It sounds more to me, that Watson is in agreement with Watt as far as there being a number of players in the locker room not giving effort. What I read out of Watsons comments, is that he believes the team needs someone in charge who is going to make the rules, and enforce them. Someone who comes to work enthusiastically, and someone who through that enthusiasm energizes the team. This to me.....sounds like the culture shift Watson speaks of. Not whether or not a GM/HC belongs to this tree or that tree.

Then why did he text "Some things never change" which was copied by his QB guru?

And this little tidbit: “We’ve all got to be on the same page,” Watson said, via ESPN. “There’s too many different minds, too many different ideas and too many people thinking they have this power, and it’s not like that. We need someone that stands tall, and this is who we follow and this is the way it goes.” goes hand in hand with the quote above. Watson is directly saying this organization has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, i.e. NO REAL LEADER (in coaching staff and office).

My reading of Watson's comments and a plea for a culture shift is Watson saying what we need is the WCO and a coach like Andy Reid like his buddy Patrick Mahomes has.

Last edited:

Then they weren’t on the same page because they didn’t use the search committee they paid for. And the surly didn’t talk this over with their very on search committee. Another thing they haven’t reached out to ole buddy from KC for an interview.

No we hired OB because he was, at the time, considered a very qualified candidate, one of the hot prospects to be a new HC after he turned Penn St around and was the recommendation of Korn Ferry. So seeing as you are complaining that we could be stuck with him for 3-4 years I'm assuming that you think Caserio should have the team turned around in what 2 years? Without anything before a 3rd round pick next year and a team in salary cap hell? So basically you are asking him to be one of the greatest GMs ever? All this anger is based on them giving him a pay rate that doesn't affect the Texans salary cap at all and is money straight out of Cal's pocket.

Don't care about the money. I care about the way it came about and what it means.

Of course, if he sucks, then he'll be cut loose sooner than 6 years.

If he doesn't, OK great.

Just saying that the team has a history of hanging on too long. Like I said though, consistency is important so "committing" at the outset is understandable. This **** isn't getting turned around in 2 years. But it should be. John Lynch hasn't been GM of the 49ers too long.

Lot of reports say it was in relation to the Jacob Blake ruling and one report said it was in regards to the Georgia seanate race . This is the problem with these cryptic tweets, it can apply to so many different things.
I think Watson too sharp to send out a post about Georgia for example then not explain/clarify when he realizes later it could be interpreted to be directed at his new boss.

Don't care about the money. I care about the way it came about and what it means.

Of course, if he sucks, then he'll be cut loose sooner than 6 years.

If he doesn't, OK great.

Just saying that the team has a history of hanging on too long. Like I said though, consistency is important so "committing" at the outset is understandable. This **** isn't getting turned around in 2 years. But it should be. John Lynch hasn't been GM of the 49ers too long.
Here's hoping OBrien taught owners much not to do or allow in the future. Evryone messes up some continue.

Interesting dynamic that was mentioned on 610 yesterday afternoon. It's a bit tin foil hat type stuff but it makes some sense.

It all but appears that Caserio was the GM target for the Texans and the search was just a show for us fans to feel like they were doing it the right way. Highly likely that if this was the case that Caserio also knew this. Hell maybe through some backdoor meetings he had already met with the Texans brass, it's happened before right? Well who did Caserio also interview with the same day he met with the Texans? The Carolina Panthers. Whose offensive coordinator did we just interview and then had nothing but glowing things to say afterwards? The Carolina Panthers. What are the odds that Caserio took the Panthers interview to gain more intel on the coaching candidate that his buddy Easterby really likes? Idk, but seems as good of a theory as any.

TL;DR Caserio knew he was getting the job in Houston. Took the Panthers interview to gain intel on one of the Texans top HC candidates, Joe Brady.

Jesus Christ.....

McClain: Those who know Nick Caserio believe he’ll thrive with Texans
John McClain an. 6, 2021 Updated: Jan. 6, 2021 7:43 p.m.

As New England’s second-round draft choice in 1995, Ted Johnson played inside linebacker for 10 years and earned three Super Bowl rings.

Johnson was a six-year veteran when Nick Caserio was hired as a 26-year-old offensive assistant in 2001. Johnson watched Caserio progress through the organization to become Bill Belichick’s director of player personnel in 2008 before the Texans hired him as general manager this week.

Johnson, who covers the Patriots for NBC Sports Boston and 98.5 The Sports Hub, joined me on a Texas Sports Nation podcast that’ll be posted Thursday. On Friday, my podcast with longtime Patriots beat writer Mike Reiss, who covers the team for ESPN and ESPNBoston.com, will be posted. Reiss offered fascinating insight into Caserio’s career with the Patriots and the impact he can have on the Texans.

As a former Patriots player and current member of the media, Johnson has an interesting perspective on the Caserio hiring. I asked Johnson: If he were back in Houston and still on the air as a co-host of Sports Radio 610’s afternoon talk show, what would he tell angry fans who are livid about the Caserio hiring?

“I think he’s going to be a great general manager,” Johnson said. “I hope fans give him a chance and don’t automatically assume he’s going to be a failure just because he’s coming from the Patriots.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

Uggh, Chronicle won't let me read, they want .99 from me! lol

Uggh, Chronicle won't let me read, they want .99 from me! lol

The rest of the story

But many already have. They’re convinced Caserio will be a failure with the Texans because he came from the Patriots, where he worked with former coach Bill O’Brien and executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby.

“I understand the frustration of the fans,” Johnson said. “Any link to the Patriots they’ve got to be sick and tired of, but Nick’s seen the good and the bad. He’s been around the best of the best. Belichick is the best who’s ever done it.”

Caserio, 45, worked his way up through the personnel department. Two times he moved to the coaching staff before Belichick promoted him to director of player personnel. Caserio became a Belichick confidant and played a substantial role in the Patriots’ reaching nine Super Bowls and winning six.

In practice, Caserio likes to work with the quarterbacks and throw passes to receivers. On game days, he sat in the coaches booth, wearing a headset and communicating with Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

“He’s got a ton of energy,” Johnson said. “He’s done everything you can ask for a guy that’s worked that long in a front office: coaching, game planning, and the college and pro side when it comes to scouting. This guy has been exposed to all of it. I think that’s a huge asset for the Texans.”

Johnson thinks Caserio is his own man and won’t try to be Belichick and implement the Patriot Way that’s caused so many other head coaches and general managers to fail with other teams.

On Wednesday, I talked with five people who worked for the Patriots or cover the team. All spoke favorably about Caserio and how they believe he’ll do as a general manager who’s out from under the Belichick umbrella.

Their observations are in stark contrast to fans and media in Houston who are hysterical about the hiring.

Nobody can say for certain how Caserio will do as a first-time general manager who has power over personnel and will recommend a new head coach to owner Cal McNair. But they’re convinced that of all the personnel experts in the NFL waiting for opportunities to become GMs, none is more deserving. And the others haven’t experienced Caserio’s remarkable success.

Working for Belichick, the greatest coach in history, and having Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback in history, was essential to the Patriots’ success, of course.

Back