Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

I'm OK with that (not my $$$). Just don't get cheap with the rest of the scouting department and coaching staff.

That's the question mark.. they're now paying four GM's all within the last couple years. Take that into account with paying the new head coach as well as the old head coach plus the cost of assistants etc.. sure there's no rule-based salary cap, but there may well be a financial cap on what an owner is willing to fork over.

That's the question mark.. they're now paying four GM's all within the last couple years. Take that into account with paying the new head coach as well as the old head coach plus the cost of assistants etc.. sure there's no rule-based salary cap, but there may well be a financial cap on what an owner is willing to fork over.
It's not like they're changing HCs like underwear. The Texans have been one of the most stable franchises in the league, in that regard. Cal should know this is the cost of doing business.

It's not like they're changing HCs like underwear. The Texans have been one of the most stable franchises in the league, in that regard. Cal should know this is the cost of doing business.

I didn't speak solely to head coaches..

Rather appears they treat their entire front office and staff like underwear..

We'll see if it matters when they tally the bill for that expensive underwear.

I wasn’t impressed by the Caserio hire because of all the other possibilities, but I see that he was probably the most qualified out of the whole lot. Had a hand in building 3 SB winning teams, great at getting good FAs at a value, not to mention him being used to picking low in every round and all the connections he has. It’s a win.

I wasn’t impressed by the Caserio hire because of all the other possibilities, but I see that he was probably the most qualified out of the whole lot. Had a hand in building 3 SB winning teams, great at getting good FAs at a value, not to mention him being used to picking low in every round and all the connections he has. It’s a win.

This is kinda where I'm at with the hire.

The McNair’s have wanted Caserio for some time and even risked 2 tampering charges to get him. He finally became free and the team did what the NFL mandated by interviewing potential candidates before interviewing and hiring the GM they’ve coveted.

I’d be pretty happy if Caserio could lure Eliot Wolf away from NE with the offer of Asst GM. I would hope that Wolf would be able to reach out to Alonzo Highsmith in Seattle so he and Caserio could convince him to come to Houston. I like projecting this b/c all 3 have years as talent evaluators, which the Texans are going to need in order to begin the turnaround.

I’d be good with Brady being named as the next HC. I’m agreeing with articles that see him as the next Sean McVay, a young up and coming coach with a solid playbook that should not only cater to Deshaun Watson’s skill set but transition to the NFL as well. I would trust Caserio to help find a solid veteran coaching staff to help in Brady’s transition to HC.

This group would have more than a fair shot to turn this team around since it is a forgone conclusion that it takes the Texans organization a good 6-7 years to figure out when they’ve totally screwed up.

I don't blame Caserio for asking for 6yrs its going to take at least 2 to get out of salary cap hell with all the bad extensions BOB/ Preacher Jack handed out.

For someone who asked what has the hood every done without Brady he did go to one AFCCG in Cleveland in 94.

I’m glad they gave him 6 years and he is going to get to hire the HC. For the first time Texans might be able to have a long term vision for the team and maybe even a HC and GM that are on the same page and not having conflicting visions.

What do we care, GM and HC doesn’t count against the cap so pay whatever they can agree on.

Cuz it's stupid and reflects that even if he sucks, we're stuck with him for 3 or 4 years. Seems like it's just based on masturbatory BS about him being a Patriot. Hired Bill O'Brien for the same reason.

I get that consistency is incredibly important. Hopefully he doesn't suck.

Cuz it's stupid and reflects that even if he sucks, we're stuck with him for 3 or 4 years. Seems like it's just based on masturbatory BS about him being a Patriot. Hired Bill O'Brien for the same reason.

It's not stupid to give a guy 4 yrs to rebuild a team and if it doesn't workout youpay off the last 2 yrs. It a show of comittment to Cal for a guy he's wanted to be a GM.

I get that you hate all things Foxboro, how long would you have signed him for?

Two possible reasons that I can think of.

One, because they were in contact with Caserio all along and they wanted to cover up their tampering.

Two, it was a legitimate search to cover the possibility that NE ended up convincing Caserio to stay with the Pats somehow.

*edit*

Three, McClain is wrong and the Texans don't actually have a deal with Caserio.
FWIW, I don't see Caserio mentioned anywhere on the Texans website.

No we hired OB because he was, at the time, considered a very qualified candidate, one of the hot prospects to be a new HC after he turned Penn St around and was the recommendation of Korn Ferry. So seeing as you are complaining that we could be stuck with him for 3-4 years I'm assuming that you think Caserio should have the team turned around in what 2 years? Without anything before a 3rd round pick next year and a team in salary cap hell? So basically you are asking him to be one of the greatest GMs ever? All this anger is based on them giving him a pay rate that doesn't affect the Texans salary cap at all and is money straight out of Cal's pocket.

Hoodie always wins. We got our guy, but IF he would not have blocked us previously, look at all the damage BOB did without NC here in just a year. Hoodie screwed us over by leading us to BOB and keeping NC from being here doing sane signings and trades. As other posters say, I am pivoting to long term thinking and a strategic GM hopefully. I dont expect 2021 miracles, and want to see how much pain versus trying to compete we do for 2021

Let this be a lesson for all, this is what BAD meddling ownership looks and acts like. The Texans are not fixing anything. Cal is just doing another round of laundry, wash, rinse, REPEAT. Watson figured it out and now too understands this. "Some things never change" This is what the McNairs DO! Like every classroom of 32 students (owners) there is always a class clown (Cal).

I’m glad they gave him 6 years and he is going to get to hire the HC. For the first time Texans might be able to have a long term vision for the team and maybe even a HC and GM that are on the same page and not having conflicting visions.
True dat !

For someone who asked what has the hood every done without Brady he did go to one AFCCG in Cleveland in 94.
Bill Belichick had 1 winning season & won 1 wildcard game while he was with Cleveland.

Belichick's Record with Cleveland.
1991 6-10
1992 7-9
1993 7-9

1994 11-5
Won Wild Card Against Patriots 20–13
Lost Divisional Playoff Against Steelers 29–9

1995 5-11

Let this be a lesson for all, this is what BAD meddling ownership looks and acts like. The Texans are not fixing anything. Cal is just doing another round of laundry, wash, rinse, REPEAT. Watson figured it out and now too understands this. "Some things never change" This is what the McNairs DO! Like every classroom of 32 students (owners) there is always a class clown (Cal).

The fact you say this when you have owners like Jones and Snyder is laughable. Also I haven't heard if Watson has clarified what he was talking about as reports have said he was referencing everything from the Caserio hire to the Georgie senate race to the Jacob Blake shooting.

The fact you say this when you have owners like Jones and Snyder is laughable. Also I haven't heard if Watson has clarified what he was talking about as reports have said he was referencing everything from the Caserio hire to the Georgie senate race to the Jacob Blake shooting.
He has not clarified, so people pushing the agenda that is in reference to Caserio are only guessing the intent.

Serious question what are this guy's strengths? Is he known for doing anything particularly well? I keep hearing that he was valuable to the Patriots and teams wanted him yada yada ya...Has he nailed any hidden gems in talent acquisition (consistently)? Is he a contract/cap wizard? Does he run a a tight ship? The fact that the search committee didn't have him as a recommendation proves it was all a facade and Cal paid Korn Ferry to just ignore what they were hired to do (IMO). It all just seems too odd. If this is what they wanted all along then why not just get him last year and give OB the help he needed in a GM. I know he was under contract and the whole tampering accusation but could he have just resigned and accepted an offer for the GM position similarly to how Belichick went from the Jets to the Patriots as their HC. I don't have anything against him but just curious as to what makes this guy the most qualified to Cal besides the Jack Easterby link.

The Patriots may have had more success with undrafted players in the past seven seasons than they did with picks in the first three rounds. David Andrews, Jonathan Jones, J.C. Jackson, Malcolm Butler, and Adam Butler.
Add to that their later-round picks. They’ve done a great job. Aggressive trades at the deadline. Mid-tier free agents. Cap maneuvering. There are some dud deals and the draft stuff is what it is, but Caserio has more experience than anyone in the league at working phones, relationships and different avenues for collecting talent. That’s what makes him a great hire

For one, he was the Patriots’ de facto general manager and as such the right-hand man of head coach/general manager Bill Belichick. He was responsible for setting up free agency signings and trades, and although Belichick had final say on decisions played therefore an integral role in building the roster year-in and year-out.
If there is one thing we all should have learned is Belichick administration assistants are more like clerks than they are like managers. Their main responsibilities are making sure Belichick's scouting reports are filled out properly and using the correct terminology for Bill's perusal. Make no mistake the Pats man in charge at the Combine and NFL Pro Days is Bill Belichick. You often see Bill running drills at the pro days.

Harken back to when Scott Pioli was the Golden Boy and the #1 must have in all of the NFL. GM Scott did almost as bad of job of destroying KC than GM O'Brien did destroying the Texans.

Reading the tea leaves, after Easterby's arrival, Brian Gaine, Chris Olsen, Amy Palcic were all fired. It appears as though Caserio - Easterby are implementing Pioli's KC gestapo on Kirby Drive. The new gulag is the old Reliant Stadium. When I said things could be worse than the last two Texans trades, I wasn't kidding. This is what Belichicks admin clerks know.

Last edited:
No we hired OB because he was, at the time, considered a very qualified candidate, one of the hot prospects to be a new HC after he turned Penn St around and was the recommendation of Korn Ferry. So seeing as you are complaining that we could be stuck with him for 3-4 years I'm assuming that you think Caserio should have the team turned around in what 2 years? Without anything before a 3rd round pick next year and a team in salary cap hell? So basically you are asking him to be one of the greatest GMs ever? All this anger is based on them giving him a pay rate that doesn't affect the Texans salary cap at all and is money straight out of Cal's pocket.

His hate for the Pats knows no ends

I didn't speak solely to head coaches..

Rather appears they treat their entire front office and staff like underwear..

We'll see if it matters when they tally the bill for that expensive underwear.

For all we know O'Brien had an "if you loose the first four games of the season, you get nothing" clause in his contract, which would explain why they waited so long to fire him.

Same thing with Gaine. He's probably not getting paid for conduct unbecoming or something like that.

If there is one thing we all should have learned is Belichick administration assistants are more like clerks than they are like managers. Their main responsibilities are making sure Belichick's scouting reports are filled out properly and using the correct terminology for Bill's perusal. Make no mistake the Pats man in charge at the Combine and NFL Pro Days is Bill Belichick. You often see Bill running drills at the pro days.

Harken back to when Scott Pioli was the Golden Boy and the #1 must have in all of the NFL. GM Scott did almost as bad of job of destroying KC than GM O'Brien did destroying the Texans.

Reading the tea leaves, after Easterby's arrival, Brian Gaine, Chris Olsen, Amy Palcic were all fired. It appears as though Caserio - Easterby are implementing Pioli's KC gestapo on Kirby Drive. The new gulag is the old Reliant Stadium. When I said things could be worse than the last two Texans trades, I wasn't kidding. This is what Belichicks admin clerks know.

I listened to a radio interview yesterday with one of the local NE radio hosts. He said that Caserio was really hands on in scouting as well.
Running drills and throwing all the passes during receiving drills. I'm not sure how I feel about Caserio overall, but I did like what I heard regarding scouting

View attachment 7317
What will Nick Caserio do about this? First Nuk, now Deshaun? Lawd almighty...
I bet he does the only thing he can do: sit down with DW4 and talk about how they see the franchise moving forward. Nick should do everything he can to assuage any bad feelings DW4 has at the moment.
I don't see Caserio as having the same bully-type drill sergeant mentality that OB has.

For all we know O'Brien had an "if you loose the first four games of the season, you get nothing" clause in his contract, which would explain why they waited so long to fire him.

Same thing with Gaine. He's probably not getting paid for conduct unbecoming or something like that.

So you're suggesting that OB had a provision in his contract that stipulated that square in the middle of a four year extension he has a 0-4 all or nothing clause in his guaranteed multi-million dollar professional contract?

And because four games into a season is so long?

Honestly tk, I get the devil's advocate thing, but c'mon man..

I’ll give NC an opportunity to prove himself but I’m not getting a great feeling from the hire. Lots of experience but far from clear if it was quality experience.

Was this guy making big time decisions that shaped a championship organization or was he just another byproduct of TB/Bill’s once in a generation success, like so many others? We’ll find out in the coming years.

I will say if he hires McDaniels, I’m mentally checking out for awhile.

This is where I am at Mav in wanting long term stability and as others have said Caserio's $ does not effect the cap. Nick is young and if he can bring the magic here hopefully he will be a cornerstone in a new foundation. A side note to the "Watson wants a minority HC"; even if true I don't see that as necessarily racist. He has a tremendous apparently loving relationship with former coach Dabo Sweeney who doesn't even have a tan. lol! Give Dashaun a coach that understands the gifts of #4 and more importantly how to use, develop and maintain them and Dashaun will be pleased. I am still not thrilled with Kelly remaining as OC and breathlessly await that turmoil-- er--decision.

Interesting dynamic that was mentioned on 610 yesterday afternoon. It's a bit tin foil hat type stuff but it makes some sense.

It all but appears that Caserio was the GM target for the Texans and the search was just a show for us fans to feel like they were doing it the right way. Highly likely that if this was the case that Caserio also knew this. Hell maybe through some backdoor meetings he had already met with the Texans brass, it's happened before right? Well who did Caserio also interview with the same day he met with the Texans? The Carolina Panthers. Whose offensive coordinator did we just interview and then had nothing but glowing things to say afterwards? The Carolina Panthers. What are the odds that Caserio took the Panthers interview to gain more intel on the coaching candidate that his buddy Easterby really likes? Idk, but seems as good of a theory as any.

TL;DR Caserio knew he was getting the job in Houston. Took the Panthers interview to gain intel on one of the Texans top HC candidates, Joe Brady.

I bet he does the only thing he can do: sit down with DW4 and talk about how they see the franchise moving forward. Nick should do everything he can to assuage any bad feelings DW4 has at the moment.
I don't see Caserio as having the same bully-type drill sergeant mentality that OB has.
If I were Caserio, I wouldn't do anything about it. There's nothing he can do if Watson is upset about things that happened in the past, before he even got here.

Nick should put his head down & go to work. If DeShaun is not happy about what happens between now & camp then I would address those things with Watson if I were Nick.

So you're suggesting that OB had a provision in his contract that stipulated that square in the middle of a four year extension he has a 0-4 all or nothing clause in his guaranteed multi-million dollar professional contract?

And because four games into a season is so long?

Honestly tk, I get the devil's advocate thing, but c'mon man..
It was just an example. The point being there was probably some performance clause that negates the Texans' obligation to pay.

I mean if I'm getting paid millions to sit at home I'd sit out a year before I take a college coordinator position.

It was just an example. The point being there was probably some performance clause that negates the Texans' obligation to pay.

I mean if I'm getting paid millions to sit at home I'd sit out a year before I take a college coordinator position.

Why probably? Is there some info on that.

Because we hear all the time of guys getting to do just that, sit at home and collect on the remainder of their guaranteed deal.

And of course you could just sit, like I said it happens all the time. But gaps in a resume are considered negatively and that coupled with a pretty ugly dismissal means you might want to jump back quickly to correcting the narrative on you career.

And cashing two large paychecks probably don't hurt either.

If I were Caserio, I wouldn't do anything about it. There's nothing he can do if Watson is upset about things that happened in the past, before he even got here.

Nick should put his head down & go to work. If DeShaun is not happy about what happens between now & camp then I would address those things with Watson if I were Nick.

Between now and the draft is when Caserio needs to find out if DW4 wants to be here.

I’ll give NC an opportunity to prove himself but I’m not getting a great feeling from the hire. Lots of experience but far from clear if it was quality experience.

Was this guy making big time decisions that shaped a championship organization or was he just another byproduct of TB/Bill’s once in a generation success, like so many others? We’ll find out in the coming years.

I will say if he hires McDaniels, I’m mentally checking out for awhile.

This should give you hope

Caserio was the only guy BB wouldn't let leave for a GM job.

Why probably? Is there some info on that.

Because we hear all the time of guys getting to do just that, sit at home and collect on the remainder of their guaranteed deal.

And of course you could just sit, like I said it happens all the time. But gaps in a resume are considered negatively and that coupled with a pretty ugly dismissal means you might want to jump back quickly to correcting the narrative on you career.

And cashing two large paychecks probably don't hurt either.
I'm not saying there was. Someone laid out all the salaries McNair is paying out to exGMs & coaches.

Fact is we don't know that he is.

& while a lot of things happened in the last 18 months, getting out of contractual obligations would go a long way towards explaining them.

This should give you hope

Caserio was the only guy BB wouldn't let leave for a GM job.

My thing is, is NC another JimmyG, where he’s valued as #2 but not capable of replacing #1. If this was really Bill’s guy, why not finally make him GM even if it’s only in title? Bill ultimately was fine letting him go to another AFC team.

I could be making something out of nothing, or maybe Bill isnt as high on this guy as reported. Again NC will get his shot to answer that. I hope it works out.

My thing is, is NC another JimmyG, where he’s valued as #2 but not capable of replacing #1. If this was really Bill’s guy, why not finally make him GM even if it’s only in title? Bill ultimately was fine letting him go to another AFC team.

I could be making something out of nothing, or maybe Bill isnt as high on this guy as reported. Again NC will get his shot to answer that. I hope it works out.

Jimmy G did make it to a SB.

Caserio was the highest paid 2nd in the NFL. Paid like a GM.

Caserio took a promotion to the 3rd highest paid GM in the NFL. It's really as simple as dollars and cents.

Back