Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Was not on either camp.

Was on the camp for Duane Brown and Brandon Br

Not in the camp of either of those guys.

Was in the camp of Duane Brown (nailed that one when I said he's likely the 8th LT pick and a good match for Kubiak's offense.)

Was in the camp of Brandon Brooks.

Was also in the camp saying Newton was a great pick up in the seventh round.

Point is, the GM and the coaches still need to find the right guy(s) for the system.
Yep. If BOB was smart, he would've kept the oline and coach in place vs dismantling it. @steelbtexan and i have this argument abaout Ben Jones who they let walk. He was the replacement for Meyers, have been very good with Titans since leaving, but he keep saying he's been average. He's been one of the better graded centers since he's been in Tennessee, but BOB wanted something different.

Thinking about it, maybe the $40M available cap space is after $8M is subtracted for the PS and other incidentals.
Try looking at it from a different perspective. You'll notice on Sportrac's 2023 salary cap that Tunsil and Cooks's salary cap hits $37.2MM and $26.6MM respectively, accounting for over 25% of the 2023 salary Cap. If you add in Tytus Howard that is 1/3 of the cap for those (3) players. The Kool-Aid Brigade calls this, cleaning up the cap.

Now if Caserio had NOT restructured Tunsil and Cooks' contracts TWICE, their salary cap hit would have been $18MM and $12MM respectively. That's a difference of $33MM. So in essence with a little prudent fiscal money management, the Texans' available salary in 2023 could be, should be over $80MM. Now that is a much better definition of cleaning up the salary cap.

Now if the Texans trade or cut Tunsil they could save $18MM in cap space. If they trade or cut Cooks, that's going to cost them $8MM in dead money.

Last edited:
No, I was in the Steve Young's camp.

He said Watson can return at least 3 first round picks and I was with him all the way.

I had laid out the timeline and the situation when I responded to Double Barrel.

The players for Watson's service were always there. It was just a matter of time.
If you listen to some, they thought he was in the 10-15 range, so they never thought he would fetch that when everyone in their right mind knew that was the minimum. Hell, if Nick wouldn't have excluded division opponets, they probably could've gotten more.

I'm not totally sold on either one of them either.

But Young is really a player.
He's an honest shot for a franchise QB.
And you don't have too many shots at them.

It could be better had Caserio make better decisions on the offensive line the last two years.

He compounded the problem by not addressing the situation properly.

Now I want a new GM and a new HC and hope they have a better vision.

With this group, I don't think it matters.
I'm all in on Young. For one particular reason. If by chance Caleb Williams does fall into your lap, you draft him. Young is the only player in the 2023 draft where I can see the Texans getting their money back and then some. Even if you only get half (mid-1st RD pick) of what you paid for Young back in a trade you're still way ahead of the game with Williams. If you miss on Williams then you still have the best QB in the 2023 draft. If my options are having either Caleb Williams at 1A or Bryce Young at 1B, with the GUARANTEE that you will get one, I'll take it.

Last edited:
For starters

He cut Cunningham and Merciless and took the cap hit rather than letting it play out.
You forgot about the part where Caserio gave them a new contract and restructured their contract before he made them dead money.

Last edited:
If Caserio actually knew what he was doing, why would he hire David Culley, a clearly unqualified coach that no other team thought that was qualified to even be a coordinator for - coach in his 60s! That’s remarkable to be coaching that long yet no team college or pro think that you’re good/smart enough to be a coordinator.

Let’s say his plan was to hire a disposable coach for this **** period, the result was that he had hired such a laughably inept coach last year that he had to fire causing the team to eat $22 million. He followed that up by hiring Lovie Smith, who no other team in the NFL would have hired. That’s his track record. How about hiring a young coordinator as your disposable coach with the chance at least you might have lucked into a good coach. The truth is that Caserio hired Culley and Lovie because he wants to step out of his lane and put on a headset and pretend that he is a coach. He could roll over these 2 bottom of the barrel coaches and pick their assistants which no coach with any self respect and chops would allow. I also hate listening to his disingenuous verbal diarrhea saying nothing when he is interviewed on Payne & Pendergast. Fire his ass and hire a GM from any organization other than the Patriots.

He clearly made the wrong picks and overreached with Stingley and Green. Passing on Sauce is going to haunt us for a decade. Green was supposed to be plug and play and immediately improve our offensive line. Caserio ignored Stingley’s injury history and has already bit us. He deserves to be fired. No other team would allow this management to continue.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the same people who agree that Lovie and Pep are bad coaches are also saying Nico and Mills are bad?

You can expect to see players play at their full potential if the coaching sucks.

Not saying Mills is the future, but you can’t say he has been a total abomination without pointing out the play calling and coaching that goes along with it.

Unless you have a narrow minded agenda.
not every bad play or decision by a player is coaches fault.

Tunsil's contract is up after next year.

How much will they have to resign/restructure his contract for?

With the way things are going, I'm not all sunshine about it.

You pay premium for a franchise LT when your team is truly contending.

You're wasting money keeping him while the team is going nowhere.

I was on the fence, but I still thought it's best to move one.
Get yourself a draft pick and cap relief while your team is in a rebuilding mode.

By the time your team can contend, his contract is already up.
You're paying premium all the while, last year, this year, next year.

And you're not guaranteed to be able to bring him back in 2024.
I want to select Skoronsky in 2023 and play him at OG; if Tunsil has another good season and goes elsewhere, we are not caught with empty glass; if Tunsil extends favorably we have a vastly improved line. We can draft the best LT and OC this coming draft.

If Caserio actually knew what he was doing, why would he hire David Culley, a clearly unqualified coach that no other team thought that was qualified to even be a coordinator for - coach in his 60s! That’s remarkable to be coaching that long yet no team college or pro think that you’re good/smart enough to be a coordinator.

Let’s say his plan was to hire a disposable coach for this **** period, the result was that he had hired such a laughably inept coach last year that he had to fire causing the team to eat $22 million. He followed that up by hiring Lovie Smith, who no other team in the NFL would have hired. That’s his track record. How about hiring a young coordinator as your disposable coach with the chance at least you might have lucked into a good coach. The truth is that Caserio hired Culley and Lovie because he wants to step out of his lane and put on a headset and pretend that he is a coach. He could roll over these 2 bottom of the barrel coaches and pick their assistants which no coach with any self respect and chops would allow. I also hate listening to his disingenuous verbal diarrhea saying nothing when he is interviewed on Payne & Pendergast. Fire his ass and hire a GM from any organization other than the Patriots.

He clearly made the wrong picks and overreached with Stingley and Green. Passing on Sauce is going to haunt us for a decade. Green was supposed to be plug and play and immediately improve our offensive line. Caserio ignored Stingley’s injury history and has already bit us. He deserves to be fired. No other team would allow this management to continue.

100% correct. But we both know this team has no standard of excellence. Their standards relate more to off field stuff that is ancillary. It’s like going to a fine steak house and getting a steak that tastes like a wet sock, and the owner comes out and says ya but how about a round of applause for your wait staff.

How many times in the past two decades have we heard all kinds of PR for the game day experience, the tailgating, the food, Texans ambassadors, how great the stadium is, our players sure are fine young Christian men, the locker room is sweet…I could go on.

The simple truth is this ownership cares about everything except the only thing that matters. We want the acorns that fall off the tree to be unlike the tree. Sorry folks, we are doomed unless the McNairs sell to someone like Crane that has a clear standard of on-field excellence and pursues perfection like it’s a 22 year old French model. And when it falls short, he holds people accountable. Zero accountability for 20 friggin years here.

100% correct. But we both know this team has no standard of excellence. Their standards relate more to off field stuff that is ancillary. It’s like going to a fine steak house and getting a steak that tastes like a wet sock, and the owner comes out and says ya but how about a round of applause for your wait staff.

How many times in the past two decades have we heard all kinds of PR for the game day experience, the tailgating, the food, Texans ambassadors, how great the stadium is, our players sure are fine young Christian men, the locker room is sweet…I could go on.

The simple truth is this ownership cares about everything except the only thing that matters. We want the acorns that fall off the tree to be unlike the tree. Sorry folks, we are doomed unless the McNairs sell to someone like Crane that has a clear standard of on-field excellence and pursues perfection like it’s a 22 year old French model. And when it falls short, he holds people accountable. Zero accountability for 20 friggin years here.

My wife asked what was wrong with the Texans in a sentence or two and the answer I gave
"Making football decisions for non-football reasons"

show me the injury history. If you don’t learn from history you are doomed to repeat it. Every single rookie other than Pitre has been injured and on the shelf. You think that’s just total coincidence?

Uh Yes…. Lots of guys with about as clean an injury history as you can get have been nothing but injury prone since entering the NFL.

Zach Wilson had a relatively clean injury history coming out of BYU except the hand fracture to his throwing hand….He’s been nothing but injured in the NFL….1 lower leg injury, 1 shoulder injury completely unrelated.

Trey Lance, clean injury history all through College…since being picked in the NFL, he’s been nothing but injured to the tune of only able to play in 4 games in 3 years

Jeff Okudah, literally the same thing…

These are just a few top 5 picks over the last few years.

Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow…

Simply put, all the extra risk you THINK you’re eliminating by selecting a guy that doesnt have a significant injury history as you’re really not.

Think The teams that drafted each of the Bosa brothers weighed their significant injury histories much? Hell no….still selected them both top 5….and they are better for it.

Last edited:
Don’t have much grasp of math? Hey it wasn’t my subject either so I’ll forgive you for being poor at math. I’ll take you to the horse track where you can place your hard earned money on that horse that has pulled up lame three times. I’ll stick to the horses with a more healthy history.

Math wins every time. Or let’s call it playing the odds.

@steelbtexan was a build-from-the-inside-out guy up until the moment Pep Hamilton convinced Nick Caserio to draft Davis Mills. Then his allegiance to Caserio took over.
If you noticed, which you probably didn't, taking a shot on Mills (why not what I would have done) was a good shot in the 3rd rd.

If you noticed what I wanted to do in the last draft was

Rd.1 Neal
Rd.1 Davis
Rd.2 Sam Williams

So I was ok with drafting Mills and Collins and then building up the OL/DL in 2022.

They did Mills a disservice by not going trenches last draft and I'm not saying Mills is the QB of the future.

Yep. If BOB was smart, he would've kept the oline and coach in place vs dismantling it. @steelbtexan and i have this argument abaout Ben Jones who they let walk. He was the replacement for Meyers, have been very good with Titans since leaving, but he keep saying he's been average. He's been one of the better graded centers since he's been in Tennessee, but BOB wanted something different.
Yep, you were right about the Jones vs Martin thing. RS chose to save the money and draft Martin.. Even if I'm wrong this was just another side of the dysfunction.

If you noticed, which you probably didn't, taking a shot on Mills (why not what I would have done) was a good shot in the 3rd rd.

If you noticed what I wanted to do in the last draft was

Rd.1 Neal
Rd.1 Davis
Rd.2 Sam Williams

So I was ok with drafting Mills and Collins and then building up the OL/DL in 2022.

They did Mills a disservice by not going trenches last draft and I'm not saying Mills is the QB of the future.
This is called hindsight.

This is called hindsight.
Except

That was my mock draft

We both agreed about Davis at the time

In fact if you go back and check out what I said before I realized that Caserio wasn't picking Neal and I switched to Sauce.

I wanted Caserio to pick what I considered at the time to be the 2 biggest baddest guys in that draft and Williams who as an edge ran a A 4.33, and even though I knew that the McNair's would never let Caserio pick Williams.

Out of curiosity. Has any team, not just the Texans ever followed or even come close to drafting your preferred draft order? Is the objective of making draft selections/prediction and hindsight posting for the thrill of having a player you would select become a great NFL player?

BTW. This is an honest question from someone who doesn't follow pre-draft discussions. Based on my knowledge, neither the Texans nor any NFL GM is making draft picks similar to what is being posted here. But I seem to always read what one poster, or another would do with draft picks.

Out of curiosity. Has any team, not just the Texans ever followed or even come close to drafting your preferred draft order? Is the objective of making draft selections/prediction and hindsight posting for the thrill of having a player you would select become a great NFL player?

BTW. This is an honest question from someone who doesn't follow pre-draft discussions. Based on my knowledge, neither the Texans nor any NFL GM is making draft picks similar to what is being posted here. But I seem to always read what one poster, or another would do with draft picks.
I usually put out 1 mock during the season, another after the combine. Yet another one a couple of weeks before the draft and a last mock the week before the draft. Sometimes I may put one more mock in there.

I like seeing how the guys I would have drafted vs what Caserio does. A few of these guys I've seen since HS. ( Green)

I don't know this to be a fact. But wouldn't doubt it. Do you think RS went out and got BOB's guy, knowing the dysfunction in the org?
As soon as BOB came in, he stated he wanted bigger players. He wanted the ol to gain weight to be bigger. Look at that 1st draft and none of those guys were the body types Smith drafted under Kubiak. I mean Fido was a big slow te, Sio was a none movement type of guard. Those were BOB body type of picks.

The only draft picks where the Texans and myself have agreed are Mario Williams and DeAndre Hopkins. On occasion other teams GMs will match 3 or 4 of my draft picks. Right now I would be surprised if the Texans and me don’t agree on Young.

Nick Martin isn't really any bigger than Ben Jones

You're letting the truth get in the way of a good narrative.

Jones was let go because he wanted to get paid. Which is what happened, this came down to money. Was BOB over this part of the org then? I honestly don't know.

Nick Martin isn't really any bigger than Ben Jones
As I recall Martin had spindly legs, not much sand in his britches.
He was probably drfated primarily because of his pedigree, not very talented, not really worthy of the second round.

Jones was a zbs guy vs Martin who was a power blocking guy. Martin couldn't move on a rail and neither could Xavier

Ben Jones could play either. He's big, strong, & smart. I don't know why BO'b didn't want to keep him.

If you were here back then you should remember I argued against it. He wasn't going to cost much & he's the kind of guy that would stay forever if you wanted.

But just because Martin or XSF couldn't zone block doesn't mean Jones couldn't power block or pull.

I agree, BO'b didn't want him. That's why they made no effort to keep him. But it had nothing to do with his size.

You're letting the truth get in the way of a good narrative.

Jones was let go because he wanted to get paid. Which is what happened, this came down to money. Was BOB over this part of the org then? I honestly don't know.
Ben Jones didn't "want to get paid" he signed with Tennessee for less than $5M/yr.

Texans didn't try to lock him up before his 4th year. I don't think they even made an offer after his 4th year

I thought Jones left because he wasn't happy how the Texans were treating his condition and how they (OB and Med crew) thought it wasn't legit.

Lol exactly. I dabble in it as well but I don’t get upset when they don’t draft the player/s I wanted. I’m not going to crucify the team or GM for not coming on here and using my mock draft. :lol:

Ben Jones could play either. He's big, strong, & smart. I don't know why BO'b didn't want to keep him.

If you were here back then you should remember I argued against it. He wasn't going to cost much & he's the kind of guy that would stay forever if you wanted.

But just because Martin or XSF couldn't zone block doesn't mean Jones couldn't power block or pull.

I agree, BO'b didn't want him. That's why they made no effort to keep him. But it had nothing to do with his size.
That's coaching. When he was hired, you should come in and see what the team does well, instead, he came in with the iron fist. At the very least, the o-line and the coach should've been kept. Jones was the successor to Meyers, Brooks and Brown were also in place. There is no way Smith wouldn't have resigned Jones, especially since he drafted him, but BOB didn't want him.

Lol exactly. I dabble in it as well but I don’t get upset when they don’t draft the player/s I wanted. I’m not going to crucify the team or GM for not coming on here and using my mock draft. :lol:
Yep, what do you say when the guys you like are much better than the guys that the GM picked 4 yrs later and this is a consistent thing?

Don’t have much grasp of math? Hey it wasn’t my subject either so I’ll forgive you for being poor at math. I’ll take you to the horse track where you can place your hard earned money on that horse that has pulled up lame three times. I’ll stick to the horses with a more healthy history.

Math wins every time. Or let’s call it playing the odds.

lol, obviously b/c if you actually did know the math, you wouldn’t be in here spouting about it…

speaking of verbal diarrhea…..

You are going to hit on some picks and miss on some. That’s the nature of the business.
And coaching matters.
Yep,

I like comparing

The record wouldn't have been better this yr because Davis and Neal got hurt. But I believe the future would be brighter. Williams is going to be a stud in a couple of yrs. Too bad he's not Texans worthy.

You are going to hit on some picks and miss on some. That’s the nature of the business.
And coaching matters.

Exactly. You never know what's behind the door until you open it. No one can hit on ALL their draft choices, but you can lessen your chances of a bad draft by NOT drafting injured players. Enough of them will get injured anyway without help from their college injuries.

Back