Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

I would prefer to get someone who will not give up so many sacks. This will be where Jonah Williams will run into problems with his new trade demands, IIRC he allowed 12 sacks?
Because Williams can't play LT. LG he could play. But they aren't payed as much as LTs.

Because Williams can't play LT. LG he could play. But they aren't payed as much as LTs.

I really liked him coming out. But the lack of length has been too much for him to become an upper echelon starter. I think he would be great at LG. Maybe the contracts given to Nelson and Lindstrom will encourage players like Williams to make the move inside.

Following the 2022 season, Russell Wilson underwent a right knee arthroscopy for an issue he has been dealing with for 2 seasons. In 2016, he suffered a Grade II MCL tear, of his left knee.

Jets deal WR Elijah Moore and 3rd round pick to Browns for 2nd round pick.

Back to back picks at #42 & #43 should help the Jets make the Aaron Rodgers deal happen.

For NFL’s rule against negotiations with uncertified agents, enforcement is the challenge
MIKE FLORIO
Fri, Mar 24, 2023, 3:13 PM CDT3 min read

Most of the time, a player who represents himself in negotiations with teams is, in reality, represented by an agent who is not certified by the NFL Players Association. It’s rarely presented that way, either because the player prefers the perception that he’s doing it alone — or because the player realizes the importance of discretion.

Consider this portion of Thursday’s memo from the league regarding the work of Ken Francis on behalf of Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson: “As an uncertified person, Mr. Francis is prohibited from negotiating Offer Sheets or Player Contracts, or discussing potential trades on behalf of any NFL player or prospective player or assisting in or advising with respect to such negotiations.”

The rule is clear. The uncertified agent can’t negotiate with teams — and the uncertified agent can’t assist or advise with respect to such negotiations.

Earlier this week, Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil was nonchalantly candid regarding the fact that uncertified agents do indeed assist and advise him.

“I have Saint Omni,” Tunsil told reporters. “I have Laolu Sanni. If I had any questions about the contract, I’d just hit those guys up and be like, ‘How do you feel about this?’ or ‘How do you feel about this?’ We got it done pretty quick man. It didn’t take long. It was very easy.”

Even with this admission, what can the league do about it?

It’s entirely possible that Omni and/or Sanni did more than assist and/or advise Tunsil. For some self-represented players, the uncertified agent sends and receives emails to the team through a dummy email account. (At least one team has received an email from a self-represented player — while the player was on the practice field.)

We asked the league, three times, if the league will investigate whether the Texans negotiated with Saint Omni, who was the subject of a do-not-negotiate-with-this-person memo sent last year to teams. The league responded to none of these emails.

So what can really be done? While there’s no way to prevent a player from using uncertified agents to advise or assist them, steps can be taken to ensure that an uncertified agent doesn’t negotiate with teams.

It’s easy, if the NFL is willing to do it. The league could require all negotiations with self-represented players to occur either face to face or in a two-parties-only Zoom call initiated by the team.

Of course, at some point it would be important to reduce communications to writing. That’s where it becomes difficult if not impossible to prove violations, if the player and uncertified agent are discreet.

Still, at some point it potentially becomes more trouble than it’s worth for the self-represented player. But if only the most cursory measures are going to be taken (e.g., sending a periodic memo), and if they aren’t going to work (i.e., Saint Omni’s ongoing work with players), nothing will ever really change.
For now, it’s not a huge problem; not many players represent themselves with uncertified agents. If it grows, however, certified agents have to ask themselves whether it makes sense to keep paying annual fees, to continue buying malpractice insurance, to attend the mandatory annual meeting, and to comply with rules and regulations that necessarily don’t apply to those who operate beyond the reach of the NFLPA.

I see Jeudy or Sutton getting traded on draft night like Marquise Brown and AJ Brown last year. I would give up 33 for Jeudy. He’s an ascending player and better than any WR in this draft. Have to redo his contract in two seasons but that’s why i’d go 33 instead of 12.

I see Jeudy or Sutton getting traded on draft night like Marquise Brown and AJ Brown last year. I would give up 33 for Jeudy. He’s an ascending player and better than any WR in this draft. Have to redo his contract in two seasons but that’s why i’d go 33 instead of 12.

I hear you, but I bet he goes for a lot less than 33.

I'd be willing to go there, absolutely. But I'm starting much lower.

I hear you, but I bet he goes for a lot less than 33.

I'd be willing to go there, absolutely. But I'm starting much lower.

I agree. As does all the GMs calling I bet. But I suspect draft night when the Broncos and whichever team is calling see how the board falls that a deal will get done.

I’d love to get a 3rd or 4th back with Jeudy for 33. But I doubt the Broncos will just give him away.

All I know is that he would make a larger impact on this team than any WR I see in this draft or player I see being at 33. A true building block for this offense (which makes it puzzling he’s being shopped in the first place).

33 seems a bit rich for a guy who came into the league injured and has missed 9 games over the last two years, who also has already eaten up 3 years off his rookie contract.

That said I do like the player. When healthy he's gotten successively better year to year to year, and this is with abysmal QB play in Denver. Could be a great fit with Metchie and across from Nico. Maybe a pick swap with Jeudy involved or a package that involves a conditional based on games played over so long could do the trick.

33 seems a bit rich for a guy who came into the league injured and has missed 9 games over the last two years, who also has already eaten up 3 years off his rookie contract.

That said I do like the player. When healthy he's gotten successively better year to year to year, and this is with abysmal QB play in Denver. Could be a great fit with Metchie and across from Nico. Maybe a pick swap with Jeudy involved or a package that involves a conditional based on games played over so long could do the trick.

I’d say 33 is about right. AJ Brown went for 18 and 101. He played in 14 and 13 games his final two seasons in Tennessee. Had better stats over his three years than Jeudy so gets a bump in compensation.

Jeudy has played in 10 and 15 games his last two seasons. Both players “dealt with injuries” leading up to trade.

Diggs and a 7th went for a 1st, 5th, 6th and 4th the following year. He had played five seasons. 13, 13 and 14 games his first three before 15 back to back seasons.

Hopkins got traded for David Johnson and a ham sandwich. No further analysis needed.

I’d say Jeudy’s talent level is right in line with Diggs and Brown. I could see him get the same explosion in production with a change of scenery (and staying healthy of course).

Would have liked Chark here for 5 million.

Side note: Anyone know why there are void years on one year contracts? I see that listed on several one year contract breakdowns.
I just looked at this. It looks like the same reason they have them on multi-year contracts. To spread the cap hit over multiple seasons. The signing bonus is going to be spread out over those voidable years. I BELIEVE I saw we did this with someone or a few someones. I could be wrong though

Reactions: JB
I just looked at this. It looks like the same reason they have them on multi-year contracts. To spread the cap hit over multiple seasons. The signing bonus is going to be spread out over those voidable years. I BELIEVE I saw we did this with someone or a few someones. I could be wrong though

I’ve been seeing it on lots of the one year deals this FA season. Rankins I believe has his contract structured this way.

I know that, but it seems like funky accounting. Shouldn’t a cap hit be spread over the life of the contract signed? But its legal so every team will take advantage.
It's all about structuring. That funky accounting is how the cap is manipulated err managed and all teams must eventually face the music. No one cares as long as the team is a consistent winner, but the moment they start to suck then it's hell.

Minshew signed a one-year deal with a maximum value of $5.5MM, giving the Colts a No. 2 option with 24 starts and 32 appearances to his name. However, the team’s Week 1 starter in 2023 has long been expected to be the signal-caller drafted with their top pick. On that note, though, The Athletic’s Zak Keefer notes that the Colts feel “pretty strongly” that the 2023 class is devoid of a can’t-miss franchise QB (Twitter link).

Last edited:
This is too funny except for some involved:

Woman who says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is her father now accuses him of defamation
A 26-year-old woman on Monday filed a federal defamation suit against Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a longtime Arkansas friend and a Cowboys spokesman, alleging the three men "initiated a deliberate plan" to portray the billionaire's "own daughter ... as an 'extortionist' and a 'shakedown artist' whose motivation was money and greed."
Alexandra Davis, a Congressional aide, sought recognition as Jones' daughter in a lawsuit filed last year that indicated Jones paid her $375,000 and set up two trusts to conceal that he was Davis' biological father. The new lawsuit states that in the weeks after Davis' March 2022 filing, Jones and his representatives waged a public campaign attacking her character, "based knowingly on false statements and accusations."

Lamar Jackson says that he in an impasse with the Ravens.........and has requested a trade.

Sounds like Lamar the player wants the Ravens to do the heavy lifting of finding a team that wants hunt. Because Lamar the agent has struck out.

PFT
Owners table third quarterback rule, but there is a “lot of support” for it
Posted by Charean Williams on March 28, 2023, 4:08 PM EDT

The 49ers lost both of their active quarterbacks to injuries in the NFC Championship Game, essentially turning them into a run-only offense and ending any chance they had of upsetting the Eagles. That prompted a call for a return of the emergency quarterback.

The Lions formally proposed a rule that would allow for a third quarterback to dress on game days and enter the game if the other two quarterbacks are injured.

Owners tabled it Tuesday but expect to discuss it again in May.

Under the proposal, teams could designate one player on their inactive list or practice squad to be eligible to play in the event that their first two quarterbacks are ruled out due to injuries. If a practice squad player is used in that role, it would not count as one of the three elevations practice squad players can make before being subject to release or waivers.

“We talked through it. I think there is a lot of support for it,” Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said. “There’s just a lot of logistics that go into it. Then, there’s the question of: Should that third quarterback rule apply to the practice squad player or only a player on the 53? There’s definitely a difference of opinion when it comes to that.

“I think our idea was to work on that, and it could be something that shows up this year. We’ll talk about it again in May. But I do believe there was a lot of support for it.”

Teams are free to carry three (or more) quarterbacks on their gameday rosters now but rarely does a team do so.

2023 Approved Playing Rules Summary

1. By Philadelphia; amends Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to permit the use of zero (“0”) as a jersey numeral; to allow kickers and punters to use any jersey numeral between 0-49 and 90-99.

3. By Los Angeles Chargers; amends Rule 4, Section 6, Article 3 and Section 7, Article 4, to make the adjustment of the play clock following an Instant Replay reversal consistent with other timing rules.

7. By Houston; amends Rule 15, Section 1, Article 2, to expand the Replay Official’s jurisdiction to allow for review on failed fourth down attempts.

10. By Competition Committee; to change the definition of a launch to leaving one or both feet.

11. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for tripping a personal foul.

12. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for illegally handing the ball forward consistent with other illegal acts, such as illegal forward passes.

13. By Competition Committee; to make the penalty for illegal punts, drop kicks, or placekicks consistent with other illegal acts, such as illegal forward passes.

15. By Competition Committee; to prevent the offense from benefitting by an extension of the half as a result of their foul.

17. By Competition Committee; to clarify use of the helmet against an opponent by removing the “butt, ram, spear” language from Article 8 and incorporating those actions into Impermissible Use of the Helmet.

2023 Approved Bylaws Summary

3. By Competition Committee; to change the claiming period to Monday for players who are waived on the Friday and Saturday of the last week of the regular season.

4. By Competition Committee; to insert Strength of Victory as the second tiebreaker for awarding contracts.

5. By Competition Committee; to adjust the rules for postseason signings to account for standard elevations rule; to freeze postseason rosters at 4:00 p.m. New York Time on the Wednesday following the last week of the regular season

2023 Approved Resolutions Summary

G-2. By Buffalo; to make the regular season and postseason roster transaction deadlines the same; changes the transaction deadline for Saturday night postseason games to 4:00 p.m., New York time on Saturday.

G-3. By Los Angeles Chargers; to provide greater clarity as to a player’s availability for a game.

G-4. By New Orleans, Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota, New York Jets, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Washington; to establish one preseason roster reduction date and related procedures.

So the league is not even looking into the "rugby scrum"? Someone's going to get hurt badly on this. Has to be removed from the game.

Reactions: JB
Back