Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
There was a game a few years back, Texans @ Colts, where our punt returner bobbled the ball, got tackled, and the Colts recovered. The refs ruled it as interference on the part of the Colts and gave us the ball +15 yds, the reasoning being that the returner has until the ball hits the ground to secure it. The exact same thing happened in the game last night, but the Broncos got to keep the ball.

My question is, did the rules change, or do I not remember that Texans vs Colts game right? Does anybody else remember that game?

I don't know, but Chris Collingsworth said it best last night, "the NFL rule book is like the IRS code. Nobody knows what's all in it."

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There was a game a few years back, Texans @ Colts, where our punt returner bobbled the ball, got tackled, and the Colts recovered. The refs ruled it as interference on the part of the Colts and gave us the ball +15 yds, the reasoning being that the returner has until the ball hits the ground to secure it. The exact same thing happened in the game last night, but the Broncos got to keep the ball.

My question is, did the rules change, or do I not remember that Texans vs Colts game right? Does anybody else remember that game?
I don't think so. The penalty was that the kicking team didn't give our guy an opportunity to catch the ball. Jacoby was bobbling the ball when he got hit. Last night, the kicking team didn't touch the receiver. He just muffed the catch all on his own.

IIRC

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I don't think so. The penalty was that the kicking team didn't give our guy an opportunity to catch the ball. Jacoby was bobbling the ball when he got hit. Last night, the kicking team didn't touch the receiver. He just muffed the catch all on his own.

IIRC
Can't find a gif of it from last night, but that's what the Patriots returner was doing last night, he was bobbling it when he got hit.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame

IIRC
Can't find a gif of it from last night, but that's what the Patriots returner was doing last night, he was bobbling it when he got hit.
Here it is. FF to 1:14

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame

If memory serves, the Texans @ Colts example you cited occurred after the signal for a fair catch. The example in last night's game did not.

Scooter

Funky
With the way his career has fallen off, I'm really hoping Schaub can put together a good game tonight. And PLEASE no pick sixes.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Football Gods decided to act. A pure act of karma right there. That's what the idiot Browns fans get for booing the absolute hell out of Davis.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Football Gods decided to act. A pure act of karma right there. That's what the idiot Browns fans get for booing the absolute hell out of Davis.
That and they decided they'd had enough laughs at Schaub's expense. I think they took pity on him

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't stop watching the video at the below link. So many layers... Apathy, despair, cussing, anger...

http://thecomeback.com/blog/nfl/watch-browns-fans-souls-crushed-by-ending-of-ravens-game.html
I know most people won't see it the same way as I do, but.. I'd have felt I got my money's worth put of that game. I was entertained right to the very end, & in the end that's all you can really ask for in return of the money spent to attend that game.

At the same time I'd be extremely frustrated with the organization over the way the season has gone, is going... how the franchise has fared over the last 16~17 years.

I'd wish like hell they'd stop swinging for the fences & hire a Gary Kubiak or Marvin Lewis to fix their crap. Maybe it'll take 8 years... 10 years... whatever but mediocrity would look awesome to me as a Browns fan.

I do like how their uniforms say Browns on the side of their pants.

Two proposals passed at the owner meetings today:

1. Ability to trade compensatory picks starting in 2017.
2. Legal tampering period before free agency changed from 3 days to 2 days starting in 2016

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't understand why no DB was in front of Rodgers (TE). He cleared out a space like Wes Unseld used to and went up and got the rebound.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Over 74,000 Fans Signed a Petition to Get Greg Hardy Banned From the League

By Brian Josephs
Brian is a freelancer living in Brooklyn, NY.
2 hours ago

While Jerry Jones and the higher bodies at the NFL have moved on after seeing the devastating results of Greg Hardy's domestic abuse, one fan — as well as at least 74,000 — has not.

An Eagles fan who goes by the name of Freddy Martinez wrote a petition to Jones and Commissioner Roger Goodell that demanded Hardy be banned from the league. Martinez specifically notes that since there is very clear, very public evidence that he is an abuser, Hardy shouldn't have a place in the league.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell -- who made several mistakes in the handling of the Ray Rice incident -- and the organizations that represent players are making a clear statement that they still aren’t willing to severely punish players who commit such serious crimes against women. That’s not OK.

As a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I am having an increasingly hard time supporting a league that gives players the privilege to play in the NFL despite these kind of actions.
In the NFL, moral bankruptcy is overlooked if you play well enough. Even that terrible defense won't help Hardy, since he's been decent at best these past few games.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I've been forced to watch San Francisco-Chicago due to a F up Time Warner company and this game has been something. Chicago misses a game-winning chip shot, so on to OT.

PapaL

Loose Screw
As much as I wish the entire state of Tennessee would fall off the map, I must admit that Mariotta looked damn good today. That 87 yard run was nice. Real nice.

Wolf

100% Texan
Saints Anthony grabbed a blocked extra point and ran it back for 2 points.

First time in NFL history

Saints lead Panthers 16-13 with a minute left in 2nd

Last edited:

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Saints Anthony grabbed a blocked extra point and ran it back for 2 points.

First time in NFL history

Saints lead Panthers 16-13 with a minute lwft in 2nd
I can't wrap my mind around the other team scoring off of getting scored on. To me, fundamentally, there should be no reward for the defensive team during what was designed as a bonus point for ramming the ball into the opponent's end zone.

I see other viewpoints on this. Thoughts. Wolf? Anyone else?

Showtime100

Got JJ?
You got your 6 pts for ramming it down their throat. Now is an extra opportunity.

I like the philosophy of either team can score on any play.
I understand your thinking. That's what I'm talking about, that makes sense too (in my mind). This might make for a great discussion in a thread of it's own. This is one of those topics that has two very legit trains of thought IMO.