Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Bills WR Sammy Watkins expects to play against Jets despite severe discomfort in foot

Watkins underwent a screw repair of a Jones fracture in May of this year. He had a prolonged rehab. He is still having significant pain in his foot and has been told by his operating surgeon that he did not suffer another break upon x-ray exam. He has been told that the recommendation is no surgery at this time, but to give it several weeks of rest. I believe what is going on is that he has not "technically" suffered another break, but that with the screw intact, his fracture has failed to totally heal, a condition known as "nonunion" (in some patients this can take more than the expected 8-10 months). His surgeon is probably telling him that pain tolerance is his major obstacle to playing, extended rest is preferable to see if can still heal. But if he wants to salvage the season avoiding surgery and try to play through the pain, he can until the screw inevitable break, at which time he will not be able to avoid placing a bigger screw with bone grafting.
Just thought of another possibility that could cause Watkins prolonged unusual pain symptoms.............osteomyelitis (infection of the bone) bone would not necessarily demonstrate fracture, but the marrow surrounding the screw may be infected. This, especially in earlier phases. will not be reliably detected upon plain x-rays, which is the imaging technique usually used to follow bone healing.

Adam Schefter Verified account ‏@AdamSchefter

Giants released kicker Randy Bullock - job belongs to Josh Brown.

This one has been weird. Hope Ivory is ok.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 16h16 hours ago

RB Chris Ivory released from hospital today and is doing well. No timetable set on his return. Status for Sunday remains in question.

---

Jaguars' RB Chris Ivory remains hospitalized with what team is calling a "general medical issue." Team expects to know more in next 48 hours

Laquon Treadwell on not playing Week One: I’ll work harder and get better
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ying-week-one-ill-work-harder-and-get-better/

The Vikings drafted wide receiver Laquon Treadwell in the first round of this year’s draft and many thought that he’d move immediately into the team’s lineup as they worked to improve their passing offense from last season.

Treadwell’s ascent hasn’t been that quick, however. The rookie didn’t play any snaps in Minnesota’s Week One victory over the Titans as Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson, Adam Thielen and Cordarrelle Patterson were the wideouts to see action. Coach Mike Zimmer said after the game that Treadwell “still has work to do” and Treadwell said Wednesday that he’ll put it in.

“It was more mentally challenging,” Treadwell said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “But you’ve got to go through it, create some fuel, I guess, to play harder. I don’t know. I’ve never been through this. I’ll just come in and work harder and get better.”

Zimmer told Treadwell before the game that he wouldn’t be playing unless there was an injury and pointed out that Diggs didn’t play for several weeks as a rookie before moving into a prominent spot in the offense when the team deemed him ready to go. With Johnson catching just one pass for five yards on six targets, an opening for Treadwell may not be far off if he does the work that Zimmer wants to see.

Rams’ Case Keenum was “seeing ghosts” in season-opening flop
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/14/case-keenum-los-angeles-rams/

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Case Keenum waited five years to begin an NFL season as a starting quarterback. When he finally got the chance with the Los Angeles Rams, his first start was haunting.

“I think that I was seeing ghosts,” Keenum said Wednesday. “I was seeing things that weren’t there. I wasn’t trusting myself and my abilities. I tried too hard.”

And now Keenum’s job status is increasingly tenuous after just one week.

The Rams can’t wait much longer to cure the profound offensive ineptitude of their opening 28-0 loss to San Francisco. Their official homecoming game against the Seattle Seahawks looms Sunday, and Keenum likely must improve sharply and quickly to persuade the Rams not to play No. 1 pick Jared Goff immediately.

The more I see and read about Luck's pattern of practice and play, the more I am convinced that his right shoulder issue will turn out to be a labrum, not only an A/C problem. If so, his performance will deteriorate, not improve as the season continues.

Has something been revealed? Did he not practice this week?
He didn't practice Wednesday, then was limited on Thursday. He fully participated in a low energy Friday practice. He originally injured his shoulder the very beginning of October 2015. If this were an A/C separation, there should be no reason for Luck to have been so limited in offseason/preseason/regular season practices. This goes more with a subluxation injury which not uncommonly is accompanied by a labral tear. It has been reported that he has apparently re-injured his shoulder in week 1, probably from heavy use (consistent with labral tear) since it wasn't appreciated until after the game.

The Rams for the past couple seasons always gave Seattle a run for their money. So Seattle losing to the Rams is no surprise actually...

I need to get my eyes checked, I thought I just read that the Rams beat the Seahawks.

ever since the Rams came into our house and took us to the shed I also thought man that's a talented team when there firing on all gears

I don't know why but for some reason the Rams own the Seahawks. They've now won 3 in a row and 4 of the last 5 against them.

The Rams for the past couple seasons always gave Seattle a run for their money. So Seattle losing to the Rams is no surprise actually...

Understood, but they looked so bad against the 49ers last week. I mean worse than your avg Rams team. I didn't think they'd win a game this year. To win one against the Seahawks (even though they own them) was a heck of a surprise.

Adrian Peterson suffered a noncontact right knee injury yesterday. His coach has stated that the injury is "minor" and he shouldn't be out more than a week or so. Meanwhile, he wasn't able to place weight on the knee, he is now in a large knee brace and walking on 2 crutches. He is getting an MRI today, and I wouldn't be surprised if he may have suffered another ACL injury. He suffered a left ACL a few years earlier. There is high risk in ACL injuries that the player subsequently suffers an ACL injury of the other knee.

Adrian Peterson suffered a noncontact right knee injury yesterday. His coach has stated that the injury is "minor" and he shouldn't be out more than a week or so. Meanwhile, he wasn't able to place weight on the knee, he is now in a large knee brace and walking on 2 crutches. He is getting an MRI today, and I wouldn't be surprised if he may have suffered another ACL injury. He suffered a left ACL a few years earlier. There is high risk in ACL injuries that the player subsequently suffers an ACL injury of the other knee.
Damn. Hate to see that.

Anyone still think going to get Sam Bradford was a bad move for the Vikings?

I'm going to stay the course for now with my opinion on Bradford. Green Bay played possibly the ugliest zone defense I've ever seen and allowed Bradford to make throws he's comfortable with. I doubt he gets much more of that the rest of the season, and I doubt the Vikings get close to a winning record. I wouldn't have traded a 1st round pick for what I saw last night unless I knew that Bridgewater's career was over.

That being said, congrats to Bradford on the win, he certainly played tough and won the game in a difficult situation.

Apparently the MRI revealed no ACL, but did reveal a severe meniscus tear. If so, the decision will probably for repair not excision. The latter would end his season.

I'm going to stay the course for now with my opinion on Bradford. Green Bay played possibly the ugliest zone defense I've ever seen and allowed Bradford to make throws he's comfortable with. I doubt he gets much more of that the rest of the season, and I doubt the Vikings get close to a winning record. I wouldn't have traded a 1st round pick for what I saw last night unless I knew that Bridgewater's career was over.

That being said, congrats to Bradford on the win, he certainly played tough and won the game in a difficult situation.
I can't say for sure that they think Teddy's career is over but I believe they knew for sure that he wouldn't be back until late in TC/preseason in 2017.
And who would want to ride with ancient Shaun Hill through this season and maybe the first part of 2017?

Randy Gregory has dropped his appeal.............besides his 4 game suspension, of which he has only served 2, he will now have the additional 12 month suspension tacked on to the remaining 2 from the first suspension. Jerry, you think it's time to cut bait?....ya think?

Back