Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

2011 Draft class seems to have bulging pockets and bulging discs.

Jerry Jones calls Tyron Smith's bulging disc issue more like muscle spasm
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ths-bulging-disc-issue-more-like-muscle-spasm

Smith missed Sunday’s win against the San Francisco 49ers because of a back issue that popped up two days before the Cowboys beat the Chicago Bears on Sept. 25.

He is working through a bulging disc in his back that owner and general manager Jerry Jones said is not uncommon for players on the team, however, a source said the disc is symptomatic at the moment.

"Tyron has something that probably a huge percent of this league has," Jones said. "It is not something that we would directly list on our report, and so it’s very common. It’s very common. It’s very common. And it’s more now like a muscle spasm. I would couch it as a muscle spasm. Treatment is more like that than it is anything to do with what I would consider traditional looks at bulging discs and things like that."

Jones said "it wouldn’t surprise me at all," if Smith plays this week against the Cincinnati Bengals. Last Thursday, Smith said he was feeling much better, but he did not practice during the course of the week.

then the Patriots got shut out by the, then, 1-2 Bills.

Only the Broncos and Vikings remain undefeated

it's a goofy league

The Jags have lost their LG Luke Joeckel to IR and knee surgery. There are some rumblings that the Jags may try to bring him back as "designated to return."

Chris Johnson catch a break. Last year, he fractured his tibia and landed on IR. He has now again been placed on IR, this time for a groin tear. Likely, part of a sports hernia complex.:crutch:

Help me understand it in the non literal sense.

In all honesty, I don't get it. I would love to.

We lost to the Patriots. They lost to the Lions, Raiders, Chargers...

It was a joke about how, in the NCAA, it is better to look good than to be good. On the heels of our 27-0 loss at New England I was simply making a joke at my relief we don't have to worry about AP, UPI, or coaches polls to retain 1st place in the AFC South.

I don't always get a laugh, but I still love to try. :D

Yeah as really glad that the Texans have rebound. Really should had won against New England. Since it was a third string QB there.

Yeah as really glad that the Texans have rebound. Really should had won against New England. Since it was a third string QB there.

I agree. & I put that loss on the coaches. playing not to lose & you end up losing. I hope the coaches learn that if they want the players to act & play like winners, they have to coach that way.

Reactions: ROO
What good Indian warrior would be caught dead without his bow and arrow? Come on NFL........:toropalm:From the Washington Post :

The NFL is cracking down on simulated bow-and-arrow violence. It’s about time.

By Dan Steinberg October 5 at 11:46 AM
imrs.php

Josh Norman was rightly penalized for mimicking violence. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)
A specter is haunting professional football. The specter of simulated violence.

For too long, we’ve sat idly by while giant, hulking men simulated potentially violent acts during stoppages in play. That’s not funny, and it’s not right. No one goes to a sporting event to see violence — simulated or otherwise.

I’m writing this now, of course, because Redskins cornerback Josh Norman was penalized last week for simulating bow-and-arrow violence, and some barbaric enthusiasts and/or archery cultists disagreed with that call. They are under the mistaken impression that violence is okay. It is not.

Look, I’ve seen my 9-year-old daughter and her fourth-grade friends play with bow and arrows. They even teach archery in her D.C. elementary school, blinded to the real-world possibilities of these devil tools. Merchants, if you can believe this, sell bow-and-arrow sets in toy stores — and right in the very front, too. Kids read popular young adult novels that feature bows and arrows. So you don’t need to tell me how much violence is implied by a bow-and-arrow motion. You know how much happier I would be if my kid would stop with the bow-and-arrow business and instead go out and play some sports, maybe take a few head shots from someone running at full speed? A lot happier, that’s how much.

I would image that like MJ, this wouldn't be terribly difficult to get around. Assuming they're not heavy users, wouldn't it be out of their system within a couple of days?
Asking for a friend...hahaha JK JK
The NFL's marijuana testing tests the urine not for THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) itself, but actually the non-psychoactive marijuana metabolite THC-COOH. After a single use, it can be detected in the urine for anywhere from 1 to 10 days. After more regular use, it can detected for anywhere from 1 to 12 weeks.

The NFL's marijuana testing tests the urine not for THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) itself, but actually the non-psychoactive marijuana metabolite THC-COOH. After a single use, it can be detected in the urine for anywhere from 1 to 10 days. After more regular use, it can detected for anywhere from 1 to 12 weeks.

Would that, THC-COOH. still be susceptible to being flushed out faster via a diuretic? That's how I'm assuming they do it. Drink a lot of fluids and clean out the system.

I probably shouldn't be looking this up at work hahaha. Might send the wrong signal. I'm just genuinely curious.

Would that, THC-COOH. still be susceptible to being flushed out faster via a diuretic? That's how I'm assuming they do it. Drink a lot of fluids and clean out the system.

I probably shouldn't be looking this up at work hahaha. Might send the wrong signal. I'm just genuinely curious.

They know within a mandated window when they get tested. One test from late April to late August, and most likely it'll be during early preseason when they're all gathered and easy to reach. 4/20 the entire rest of the year with no worries.

I'm not going to propagate this discussion except to say that, despite anectdotal stories and articles you hear about people swearing by the use diuretics for flushing, it is at best Russian Roulette. To have any effect, it must be timed so that it is taken within a couple of hours of the test to be effective to any extent.................but the most important thing to remember is the metabolite THC-COOH, unlike THC, is stored in the fat and cannot be extracted by diuretics, only lightly masked in the urine as it is released............intensive exercise for many hours, usually for several days, is the only real way to "use up" the substance.

This is not only to mention that most testing is performed simultaneous with diuretic testing, and testing for the concentration/dilution state (specific gravity) of the urine. Lastly, if the urine is so diluted that the tester notes that the urine is visually entirely clear (strong proof that dilution has occurred), the test will be considered invalidated and classified a failed test. So regarding the use of diuretics for attempting to mask, my only free advise for when taking this urine test is have a friend take a sledge hammer to your penis prior to testing so that the blood adds a little color to your urine. Consider my input on this subject now closed.:tiphat:

He's actually been a pretty solid CB during his career. Seems like the Panthers are using him as the scapegoat here to cover for their failure to address the secondary with experienced players. It's not like he got torched by some scrub. It was Julio Jones and they had him manned up 1-on-1 on the guy for the majority of the game which is just ridiculous.

He's also coming off a broken leg and said his conditioning still isn't where it needs to be which may be why Jones gassed him.

Patriot's Brissett underwent ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb repair today........placed on IR just in time for Brady's return.

The Patriot's Edelman has again found himself on the injury report for a "foot." His participation Sunday is now in question. Everyone probably remembers his left Jones fracture last year that required reoperation. He had an injury to his foot this past August again which was not characterized, and not specified as to left or right. What most don't probably remember is that in 2012, he fractured his right foot (not ever specified as a Jones fracture, but likely). So now we don't yet really know which previously fractured foot is having problems. Needless to say, this warrior's poor feet are unlikely to take to much more.

It's bad enough for a player to be dealing with 1 hamstring injury, but Orlando Scandrick for the last 3 weeks has been dealing with a hamstring injury to both legs.:choke:

Kaepernick contract talks reveal real reason for his absence from lineup

With 49ers quarterback Baline Gabbert continuing to play in a manner that suggests he doesn’t deserve the job, the team is facing mounting pressure to return Colin Kaepernick to the starting lineup. The 49ers can’t be any worse with Kaepernick in the lineup; why not find out if he can be better?

News that the team is talking to Kaepernick about a restructured contract that would address the remaining guaranteed money in his deal shows that the 49ers are moving toward making a change. Absent a revised contract, any injury to Kaepernick that would prevent him from passing a physical before April 1 would result in Kaepernick having a fully-guaranteed salary of $14.5 million in 2017.

That dynamic prevented the 49ers from trading Kaepernick to the Broncos or cutting him in 2016. With a trio of surgeries and an inability to pass a physical before April 1, the 49ers couldn’t cut him by then, and Kaepernick had no reason to reduce his fully-guaranteed salary of $11.9 million for 2016 to facilitate a trade to the Broncos.

The mere fact that team and player are attempting to resolve the situation in 2016 confirms that the 2017 injury guarantee has become an impediment to the team putting him on the field. Which means that the things we were being told (specifically, that he weighs enough to be No.2 but not enough to be No. 1) amount to a load of bovine No. 2.

The fans and media should be used to teams telling something other than the truth for strategic reasons. Here’s who should be upset: All of the people at CBS who were duped into believing that Gabbert will remain the starter indefinitely for some of the reasons proffered on Thursday night. Bill Cowher, for example, pointed to Kaepernick’s status as a loner during the pregame show. Phil Simms fell for it, too, declaring that “I haven’t in anything I’ve read, watched, watching practice, talking to the players, talking to the coach — there’s nothing that’s given me a hint that anywhere close with that quarterback change could happen with the San Francisco 49ers.”

Now there is. Talking to Kaepernick about wiping the 2017 injury guarantee off the books means that the 2017 injury guarantee was a major reason — and perhaps the only reason — for Gabbert not getting benched.

Suddenly, Kaepernick will be ingesting a magic smoothie and gaining enough weight to become the starter again, and the coaches and front-office executives and everyone else who was sucking through a straw a smoothie with a sprinkle or two (or more) of bovine No. 2 will suddenly start building up Kaepernick for his triumphant return to the lineup, which will come with a clear incentive to show that he still can play at a high level, in the hopes of getting paid on the open market in 2017.

Of course, Kaepernick can still refuse to re-do his deal. Now that the cat is out of the bag, it will be hard for the 49ers to not play him. Why give up the $14.5 million insurance policy for a shot at the open market next year and a shot at playing when he already has the former (since he’ll be cut if he’s healthy) and could end up getting the latter sooner than later, because the fan base is likely to turn to apathy if the offense doesn’t turn to Kaepernick.

Kaepernick's safest approach is to sit on the bench for the national anthems.........and continue to do so during all of the playing of actual games through the 2017 season.........:chef:

Kubiak 'feeling much better' after being hospitalized
By Around The NFL NFL.com
Updated: Oct. 10, 2016 at 11:51 a.m.

Broncos
coach Gary Kubiak was taken to the hospital with flu-like symptoms on Sunday after Denver's 23-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Per the team, Kubiak was diagnosed with a "complex migraine condition that caused extreme fatigue and body weakness." He is expected to be released from the hospital Monday afternoon after "feeling much better" Monday morning, the team wrote in a statement.

Kubiak has dealt with health issues during the course of a game before. He suffered a transient ischemic attack in 2013 during halftime of a contest while serving as head coach of the Houston Texans.

What comes to mind immediately is that TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) and complex migraines can share an almost identical picture. I hope they have made a correct diagnosis and responded accordingly...............even in the event that the "complex migraine" diagnosis was put out there just for public consumption.

What comes to mind immediately is that TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) and complex migraines can share an almost identical picture. I hope they have made a correct diagnosis and responded accordingly...............even in the event that the "complex migraine" diagnosis was put out there just for public consumption.
wow.... again?
hope he recovers fully

Kubiak will not coach Broncos Thursday vs. Chargers
By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Oct. 10, 2016 at 04:16 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 10, 2016 at 05:04 p.m.

The Denver Broncos will be giving coach Gary Kubiak the week off as he deals with a complex migraine condition, general manager John Elway announced Monday.

Kubiak will not coach the Broncos during Thursday's game against the San Diego Chargers and won't return to the team until Oct. 17, Elway said.

Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis has been elevated to interim head coach. Elway said that promoting the special teams coordinator was the most seamless way to reorganize the staff with offensive coordinator Rick Dennison taking on full-time play calling duties and Wade Phillips calling the defense. While DeCamillis still has extensive responsibilities during the week with special teams, he can shift a focus on game day to game management and allow the other two coordinators to have a relatively normal Sunday.

DeCamillis, 51, has been a special teams coach or coordinator in the league since 1988 and arrived in Denver back in 2015. Elway said that the Broncos did not even broach the subject of Kubiak working this week with the ailing coach still recovering in the hospital.

"We're excited about Gary's future and I think what we heard last night is good, but I'm going to let Gary handle (speaking about his medical issue) when he comes back," Elway said.

Elway noted that Kubiak clearly did not feel well before Sunday's loss to the Atlanta Falcons, but declined to say if this condition was at all related to a 2013 incident where Kubiak was carted off the field as head coach of the Houston Texans due to a transient ischemic attack.

When asked if Kubiak's mounting on-field health issues were a concern to Elway, he said that he's trusting his coach, friend and former teammate.

"We'll find that out this week, but like I said, the information we received last night of the different things that have happened -- we felt good about the fact that he was going to continue to be able to do what he does.
That's the best thing. I think that when you go through these things, sometimes they're bad but really good things come out of it -- and I think this is one of those things. The timing is a short week and it's almost better that it's a short week. That was not us yesterday (in a loss to the Falcons). We get turned around and Gary can take this week and work on himself then get back to normal on Monday."

These statements reinforce my feelings that Kubiak has suffered another TIA. (See my previous post above.)

Re. Kubiak's "condition," I was asked to explain my concerns and especially as it relates to the relationship between "complex migraines" and TIAs and strokes.

It is a known that complex migraines increase the risk for TIAs and strokes. It is not clear why a migraine TIA or stroke happens , but there are several changes during a migraine, which may be important for explaining this phenomenon. At the beginning of a complex migraine attack, the blood vessels constrict (narrow) leading to reduced blood flow with reduced flow to the brain resulting in a TIA. [This is as opposed to the compensatory vasodilation (widening) of the blood vessels in that occur later changes in the progression of complex migraines.] This process can also cause changes in the blood, which cause clots to form. These, in turn, could cause a blockage in an already narrowed blood vessel leading to a stroke. Dehydration and vomiting during migraine can cause low blood volume, which decreases blood flow to the brain and makes blood clots more likely to form. If you have other risk factors for stroke such as atherosclerosis (build up of irregular plaques in the inner walls of blood vessels), this could happen more easily. Strokes will not necessarily occur during a migraine attack. There are several possible reasons why having the condition may increase the risk of TIA or stroke. These include migraines contributing to damaging the blood vessels through the release of vascular and neurological chemicals, and migraines increasing the risk of fluid building up in the blood vessel wall tissues again constricting the lumen (inside) of the blood vessel and/or leading to the layers of the walls separating (dissection). This can lead to bleeding or clots forming in damaged blood vessels.

Hope I've presented this complex issue in an understandable format.
LlE0pczH0i9P_QdwXjcYFU-REQcIcTuMKRMA9mvaqFy-AAcHkmr9D8oO1yPkjNhf9_aedw=s114

Dez Bryant returns to practice, understands conservative approach
Cowboys Corner Blog
The latest news and notes about the Dallas Cowboys

By Charean William
Dez Bryant is back, at least on the practice field in some capacity.

The All-Pro receiver returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday, the first time since injuring knee Sept. 25 that he worked in individual drills.

“It felt good,” Bryant said. “Of course, it’s something minor. But at the same time, even if I didn’t go Sunday, this is much needed. I need to get that work in and I need to be ready to go whenever I get back. So it was much needed.”

The Cowboys’ 4-1 record combined with next week’s bye could factor into the team holding Bryant out until the Oct. 30 game against the Eagles. While Bryant wants to play, he also understands the conservative approach after not playing a single game at 100 percent last season because of foot, ankle and knee injuries.

“Don’t have to worry about making it worse, which I feel like I can’t at this point,” Bryant said of the possibility of sitting a third consecutive week. “It’s only getting better. What we’ve got going on here is extremely amazing, and you don’t want to force anything.”

Bryant has a hairline fracture in the tibial plateau of his right knee. After spending two weeks on the StairMaster, the elliptical and the underwater treadmill, Bryant was excited to get back to running.

Bryant called his status “day to day” and said how he feels Friday will determine whether he plays Sunday against Green Bay. If Bryant doesn’t play, he again will serve as the team’s biggest cheerleader in his sleeveless hoodie that has become a good-luck charm.

“Anytime you feel like you have a chance to do anything great, you want to be patient,” Bryant said. “You want to take your time. You want to get everything right. You don’t want to be back and be half-stepping. You don’t want to be doing none of that. If I play, I’m going to be rocking and rolling. I’m going to be going full speed.”

To be coming back this soon, either his diagnosis is NOT a hairline fracture of the tibial plateau, or Jerry Jones put on yet another hat..........as the team doctor.......and gave Bryant his "medical clearance."

Back