Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

McNair Reflects and Reveals..........

How do you define support? I am almost scared to hear the answer.

Season ticket holder since 2003. Haven't missed a game. Go to atleast one road game a year. Dressed in full Texans gear the whole weekend. Tailgate and take my Texans tent on the road with me.

I take the losses much harder than I enjoy.

Look we're all Texan fans and we all want the same thing. (A Lombardi Trophy)

I dont appreciate my fandom being called into question just because I disagree with how the Texans are run as an organization. To me there has been way to much mediocrity accepted in this town as it relates to all sports in this town.

Not just the Texans

Season ticket holder since 2003. Haven't missed a game. Go to atleast one road game a year. Dressed in full Texans gear the whole weekend. Tailgate and take my Texans tent on the road with me.

I dont appreciate my fandom being called into question just because I disagree with how the Texans are run as an organization. To me there has been way to much mediocrity accepted in this town as it relates to all sports in this town.

Not just the Texans

Apparently you missed at least 10 games (including preseason) from 2002... ;)

By the same token people disagree with your opinion of how the Texans are run... That's not to suggest that many of us don't recognize that mistakes were made.

OTOH, many of us believe they are now on the right path, now. Will be it be Kubes & Rick Smith that gets us there (to the Promised Land)? Who knows? However to not recognize the direction the Texans are heading, is foolhardy to say the least.

Great response

I hope you're right about the Texans being on the right path. With the schedule this year it's going to be a tale tell year for the Texans coaching staff and the organization as a whole.

I'm going to give them another year. What else am I going to do? I'm a Steelbtexan fan.

I've been called foolharded before and I LOL'ed then and will continue to do so. You may be on to something.

LOL

Apparently you missed at least 10 games (including preseason) from 2002... ;)

Yeah I had a prsonal thing about the paying for the right to but a ticket thing. (PSL's)

But I went to the 2002 Buffalo game as a birthday present from my wife,felt the atmosphere,got hooked and have been hooked ever since.

I guess being some of us doesn't live in houston and /or can't be at every game ...we are not fans being we didn't spend money

so.. it makes our voice less

Not just the Texans

So, you're a guy with some expendible cash and weekends off who enjoys going to the games but doesnt enjoy the team you're helping Mr. McNair make millions on? Maybe you're a fan of tailgating and large buildings more than anything. I'm not picking on you either. I'm asking you to re-evaluate what it is you want from your entertainment. You may have more fun.

I guess being some of us doesn't live in houston and /or can't be at every game ...we are not fans being we didn't spend money

I don't think he was saying that at all. He's talking about what he does. Not anyone else.

Are you :drunk:? That was a tough read. ;)

:jk:

No, just because you can't make it to the games in no way makes you less of a fan... I was poking fun at SteelB for not having his PSL's/ season tickets in order prior to the 2002 season.. Wolf, you are and always have been, one of the good guys. :)

No JB just asked me to define how I was a Texan fan. Not that any Texan fan should have to do that. I responded to his post.

I appreciate all Texan fans. One Texan fan is not better than another Texan fan.

As Texan fans we make up the greatest fan base in the NFL. As evidenced by being the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Despite being basically a bottom dweller franchise for 8 yrs.

So, you're a guy with some expendible cash and weekends off who enjoys going to the games but doesnt enjoy the team you're helping Mr. McNair make millions on? Maybe you're a fan of tailgating and large buildings more than anything. I'm not picking on you either. I'm asking you to re-evaluate what it is you want from your entertainment. You may have more fun.

With 8 years of bad to mediocore football you had better enjoy the tailgating.

The Casserly years were rough.

I enjoy the team, I'm just really disappointed that the team didn't make the playoffs. This is the first season that I felt the Texans should've made the playoffs.

I put this directly on Kubes head and I'm frustrated that instead of McNair holding Kubes feet to the fire next season. McNair decides to give Kube a contract extention and I can believe McNairs reasoning behind giving Kubes the extention as stated at the begining of this thread.

McNair seems like he's spinning the PR stuff to me. You obviously feel differently about this.

No JB just asked me to define how I was a Texan fan. Not that any Texan fan should have to do that. I responded to his post.

I appreciate all Texan fans. One Texan fan is not better than another Texan fan.

As Texan fans we make up the greatest fan base in the NFL. As evidenced by being the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Despite being basically a bottom dweller franchise for 8 yrs.

Believe me.... I was not questioning you as a fan. I just wanted clarification on our idea of support. If because you have season tickets and go to the games and that makes you a fan, ok.

I am a fan because the Texans are my team. I don't always agree with what they do. I was upset when they hired Capers. I was upset when they selected Bosselli in the expansion draft. And so on and so on.

My team is not perfect, but they are my team!

I just question how much enjoyment you get out of your team?

I understand disappointment (sp?) , but I look at our current team and think we are on the right path, and McNair did the right thing by extending Kubiak's contract. To make the change at this point would have been counter-productive. Unless McNair hired Shanny, any other coach would have a radically different system, would have to totally overhaul the coaching staff, and would have to rebuild the roster.

This would have set us back a minimum of 2 years.

Besides, it's a lot more enjoyable to look at the future with a sense of anticipation instead of dread! How often could you do that in the CC/C era?

Because I'm a Houstonian.

I try to support all things Houston and Texas.

So, it isn't about entertainment to you. Instead, it is about some sort of jingoistic mentality stemming from being in Houston. That's fine. I know it's common.

Supporting all things Houston, I guess you're a big fan of illegal immigration, childhood obesity, traffic, and air pollution. Personally, I'm not into that stuff. I just really like football.

So, it isn't about entertainment to you. Instead, it is about some sort of jingoistic mentality stemming from being in Houston. That's fine. I know it's common.

Supporting all things Houston, I guess you're a big fan of illegal immigration, childhood obesity, traffic, and air pollution. Personally, I'm not into that stuff. I just really like football.

That is a really ridiculous statement!

Jackass

I just really like football too and teams that do everything possible to put the best product they can on the field.

You value things I dont.

I'm glad you're BS attitude isn't representative of most Austinites.

I agree. I've been into childhood obesity for years but I would NEVER support illegal immigration!!!!!!! I'm uh 'merican damnit!

You ass hole.

Jackass

I just really like football too and teams that do everything possible to put the best product they can on the field.

You value things I dont.

I'm glad you're BS attitude isn't representative of most Austinites.

You don't think most Austinites have a negative perception of Houston? Really?

That being said, it's hardly my point. You are bouncing all over the place explaining why you root for a team that you don't like or believe in. First, it's purely for entertainment purposes. Though, for some reason, you aren't entertained by the most exciting team in the NFL. Then, you say that you just root for all things Houston. I guess that's not the case either. Seems like you are simply a sheep with a typewriter. Someone or something you don't understand has herded you towards the HOuston Texans and even though you don't like it, you aren't going anywhere. Brilliant!

Lots of fat kids and pollution here too though Dale. Illegal immigrants? Yup. Last time I checked I wasn't cruising down 35 at 3 in the afternoon either.

At least Houston's football team is better than ours. Ugh.

Why make it about our town versus theirs. Focus on your argument. I believe in you! You can do it!

After 4 yrs we still dont know if Smithiak can build a championship organization. Cleveland knows that within 5 yrs they will have a winning organization.
But Cleveland doesn't know if they will win a championship... and we do know we've got a winner. So really was it that different?

What is the bar.. 5 years and a winner or 4 years and a championship...

Mike

Lots of fat kids and pollution here too though Dale. Illegal immigrants? Yup. Last time I checked I wasn't cruising down 35 at 3 in the afternoon either.

At least Houston's football team is better than ours. Ugh.

Why make it about our town versus theirs. Focus on your argument. I believe in you! You can do it!

I never said that I root for all things Austin. That was his point. Just trying to illustrate how ridiculous that is. I've never understood supporting/rooting for something simply because of one's proximity to it. After all, I'm in Austin and loath Mack Brown. Matter of a fact, I don't really even like Berkenstocks or Petuli Oil.

You don't think most Austinites have a negative perception of Houston? Really?

That being said, it's hardly my point. You are bouncing all over the place explaining why you root for a team that you don't like or believe in. First, it's purely for entertainment purposes. Though, for some reason, you aren't entertained by the most exciting team in the NFL. Then, you say that you just root for all things Houston. I guess that's not the case either. Seems like you are simply a sheep with a typewriter. Someone or something you don't understand has herded you towards the HOuston Texans and even though you don't like it, you aren't going anywhere. Brilliant!

I just disagree with the direction of the franchise. You dont, I get this.

The difference between us is that I'm not being an ********* when I'm stating my postion.

You on the otherhand can continue to live amongst the bluebonnetts in your polyanic little world.

A thread started with a nice article turns into the questioning peoples fanhood. Imagine that! Meh, this is getting old.

dog_chasing_tail_lg_clr.gif

:brickwall:

But Cleveland doesn't know if they will win a championship... and we do know we've got a winner. So really was it that different?

What is the bar.. 5 years and a winner or 4 years and a championship...

Mike

Within 4 years the way the NFL is set up with the schedule and FA/Draft a well run team should be able to make the playoffs.

Within 5/6 years they should be able to compete for a championship. IMHO

I hope everyone had a great Easter with their family and loved ones.

Oh, and the draft is getting really close...and what an almost surreal trade of McNabb yesterday.

Andy Reid better update his resume because this could go poorly for him. You don't trade guys within your division. You just don't do it. The Packers tried to prevent it, but just ask them how well playing against Favre went last year. That was still some serious egg on their face but at least they tried to prevent it from happening by sending him to the Jets only for Favre to fake retire to get to Minny. The Eagles willingly sent McNabb to Washington. Wow.

Happy Easter again

I did, we just found out my father in law has prostate cancer and is going to have a pretty rough year ahead of him.

But we all had a great time just being around each other enjoying laughing and joking together.

I just disagree with the direction of the franchise. You dont, I get this.

The difference between us is that I'm not being an ********* when I'm stating my postion.

You on the otherhand can continue to live amongst the bluebonnetts in your polyanic little world.

You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" to you and you "disagree with the direction of the franchise" but are powerless to change it, then why do you spend your entertainment dollars and time on this franchise? Clearly, it is because you get some sort of reward from the complaining and the bitterness.

What other explanation is there?

I was there once too. I hated the direction and leadership of my football team as a Cowboy fan in the mid 1990s. I hated the owner and the head coach (Barry Switzer). So, I stopped rooting for them and spending my time and money on them because it was no longer enjoyable and because I don't like to support things that I don't believe in.

Within 4 years the way the NFL is set up with the schedule and FA/Draft a well run team should be able to make the playoffs.

This presupposes that most of your draft choices will turn out as expected, which isn’t always the case. There are many examples of 1st and 2nd round choices being major busts (or performing at a lesser level than the round they were taken in), and 6th and 7th round choice making a big splash on their teams. Also take into account injuries to key players and staff/player changes and you’ve got a volatile mix that doesn’t really count for stability in all cases.

You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" ....

from strictly an entertainment perspective, I can't understand why anyone would be upset with our 2009 season. That was the most entertaining season to date. IMHO. We were competitive in every game (save one), very entertaining to the last play in most cases.

I was there once too. I hated the direction and leadership of my football team as a Cowboy fan in the mid 1990s. I hated the owner and the head coach (Barry Switzer). So, I stopped rooting for them and spending my time and money on them because it was no longer enjoyable and because I don't like to support things that I don't believe in.

So why didn't you become a Patriot fan?

What??? Quit being a jackass. I thought you (tried) to make it a point that you don't go out of your way to be an ass........ Again, major serving of FAIL.

I would put the likes of Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson and certainly Jerrod Johnson over Kubaik's A&M career.

Dude, seriously - get over yourself. Your a pompous ass joke.

By making stupid assertion about me being myopic, just weakens your (already) weak ass arguments, that much worse....

Second Honeymoon equals multiple FAIL....

AND awesome, MB fodder for people that like to laugh at ignorance.

SH.....
dunce-emoticon.gif

we will leave being a jackass to the pros....like you, but if your going to continue to try and make this personal, so be it. it just shows your immaturity and your inability to make a cogent argument without coming off as a blithering *****.

Bucky Richardson? hahahahhaha. Kevin Murray? hahahhaa. Jerrod Johnson? maybe JJ should start by actually leading his team to relevance. Gloves are off. Your program is a joke. Truth hurts. The only time you were even partially relevant, you were paying kids to play football in that cowtown and cheating your balls off. Go hang out with your all male cheerleaders and your stupid 50's era homo-erotic traditions that mean nothing to anyone with an IQ over 12 or an age under 80.

as for people laughing at me...do you think I give a crap what an inbred yokel like you thinks of me? give me a break. you can't defend your .500 coach so you resort to name calling and being a petulant little prick. very impressive. how old are you? i tried to be civil with the likes of you, but I have had enough of your tired little act.

i have tried to elevate the argument past name calling and flame wars, but you just keep trying to make it about me or about SBT or something. You know why? Because you have nothing to stand on. The only thing you have is your fairy tale belief that Kubiak will be a good coach someday and be a winner. That is it. We have 4 years of evidence that shows Kubiak is nothing more than a good OC and a .500 HC. I know you can't dispute that, so why not call me another name.

Stop being a troll and grow up, TB. You call me a dunce but at least I am not a sad and aging jackass like yourself.

I did, we just found out my father in law has prostate cancer and is going to have a pretty rough year ahead of him.

But we all had a great time just being around each other enjoying laughing and joking together.

i am very sorry to hear that, SBT.

family is the key to challenging ordeals like that. hopefully your laughter and family bond will help him get through this tough time.

You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" to you and you "disagree with the direction of the franchise" but are powerless to change it, then why do you spend your entertainment dollars and time on this franchise? Clearly, it is because you get some sort of reward from the complaining and the bitterness.

What other explanation is there?

hey DM,

just wondering. why did you hate Switzer so much? i know he wasn't JJ, but he did a good job with that team. they came out fired up, they were well prepared week in and week out, and he was a helluva head coach.

i wasn't down with the hiring when they made it, but he had those guys ready to play. they kinda shat the bed against the 49ers, when they were down over 3 touchdowns just minutes into the game, but even then they fought back and nearly pulled that game out .

not an attack on you, DM, just wondering. hope you had a great Easter.

This presupposes that most of your draft choices will turn out as expected, which isn’t always the case. There are many examples of 1st and 2nd round choices being major busts (or performing at a lesser level than the round they were taken in), and 6th and 7th round choice making a big splash on their teams. Also take into account injuries to key players and staff/player changes and you’ve got a volatile mix that doesn’t really count for stability in all cases.

Well run teams dont miss on high (you should have high draft choices when rebuilding) on 1st and 2nd rd picks. They also hit on 6/7th rd picks ocasionally. (Diles) Smithiak have done a good job in the draft. (excluding the 2007 draft)

There are going to be injuries but as long as your core guys (Schaub,AJ, MW,DeMeco,Cushing) type guys stay healthy you should make the playoffs in 4 yrs. The Spencer and Dunta injuries hurt but there should be enough depth to overcome them by year 4. IMHO

hey DM,

just wondering. why did you hate Switzer so much? i know he wasn't JJ, but he did a good job with that team. they came out fired up, they were well prepared week in and week out, and he was a helluva head coach.

i wasn't down with the hiring when they made it, but he had those guys ready to play. they kinda shat the bed against the 49ers, when they were down over 3 touchdowns just minutes into the game, but even then they fought back and nearly pulled that game out .

not an attack on you, DM, just wondering. hope you had a great Easter.

I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane. More than my issue with Switzer though, was the fact that Jerry's ego was so monstrous that he risked destroying the greatest team in modern NFL history in order to get more credit for himself. Also, I found the off-season personnel decisions distasteful: signing guys like Deion Sanders while letting go of many of the players that were there from the beginning. It became a collection of stars and personalities and much less of a team, IMO.

Finally, though, I just don't know all of the reasons why. What I do know is that I watched the Cowboys beat the Steelers in the Superbowl and felt absolutely no joy or satisfaction. I was happy for some of the players but it was a very hollow experience for me as a fan. That's when I knew that I couldn't root for the team anymore. Also, I had just started attending games at Texas Stadium in the early '90s and was quickly disenchanted with the gameday experience there. So, that didn't help any. The stadium sucked. The parking situation was a nightmare and I was surrounded by Cowboy fans- and that ain't no picknup, let me tell you!

Well run teams dont miss on high (you should have high draft choices when rebuilding) on 1st and 2nd rd picks. They also hit on 6/7th rd picks ocasionally. (Diles) Smithiak have done a good job in the draft. (excluding the 2007 draft)

There are going to be injuries but as long as your core guys (Schaub,AJ, MW,DeMeco,Cushing) type guys stay healthy you should make the playoffs in 4 yrs. The Spencer and Dunta injuries hurt but there should be enough depth to overcome them by year 4. IMHO

Agreed. We definitely blew an opportunity in 2009. Where we diverge regarding Kubiak is the idea that he should be punished for that blown opportunity or that we are destined to repeat 2009 if he isn't removed. I don't think that is the case. I believe keeping this ship pointed in the same direction is the most likely scenario for success over the next 5 years, or so.

First, what makes any of those things unique to Houston? I'm sure Austin has it's share of all of those societal maladies plus those associated with being in the shadow of the state capital and the university known more for it's propensity for parties than for it's educational benefits.

Second, you sound like some New England Yankee who's never been to Texas with statements like that.

First, what makes any of those things unique to Houston? I'm sure Austin has it's share of all of those societal maladies plus those associated with being in the shadow of the state capital and the university known more for it's propensity for parties than for it's educational benefits.

Second, you sound like some New England Yankee who's never been to Texas with statements like that.

I have lived in Texas 35 of my 36 years. I spent much of my youth in the Houston area. There are things I like about Houston and things I don't. The same can be said of Austin. I've never gotten into the civic and state pride thing that is so popular in Texas. That quote of mine was tongue and cheek responding to SteelbTexan's assertion that he's a Texan fan because he roots for "all things Houston and Texas".

but, since you brought it up, there is less pollution in Austin, the traffic is much more manageable, kids aren't as fat... I'm not sure about the illegal alien ratio, though. Oh, and I despise the University of Texas!

The only thing you have is your fairy tale belief that Kubiak will be a good coach someday and be a winner. That is it. We have 4 years of evidence that shows Kubiak is nothing more than a good OC and a .500 HC.

But you quickly dismiss any other argument as if there is no merit.

We're very talented.. that because of Kubiak. He's the guy who brought Rick Smith in.

You know all about the offense.

The defense,
Texans' defense improve from allowing the most total yards (436.7) and rushing yards (163.3) per game in the NFL over the first three weeks to ranking fourth in total yards (299.1) and second in rushing yards (84.3) over the final 13.

Remember in 2008, the argument was the offense was top ten in yards, blah, blah, blah... but not where it counts. In 2009, we changed that. In most offensive categories, we are top ten, I dare say top 5. Same thing is going to happen to our defense in 2010. I know this, because GK is (& has been) very methodical in his approach to building this team, from the ground up.

You want to argue that it's taking too long, that's fine, I can't argue that. I'm not happy with how long it is taking. But you've got to be blind not to see there are more good things going on than bad.

We're chipping away, & eventually the damn is going to break, and there will be a flood of success in H-Town.

hey DM,

I think Switzer, Campo, and Gailey were all yes men. IMHO, that was the "dark ages" for the Cowboys. Jerry ran the team a little too much.

I think the Coach & GM has to be peers, and have to work together, with equal input. Kinda hard to do, when the GM is signing your pay-check.

I personally think Switzer was a much better coach than what he showed in Dallas.

But you quickly dismiss any other argument as if there is no merit.

We're very talented.. that because of Kubiak. He's the guy who brought Rick Smith in.

You know all about the offense.

The defense,

Remember in 2008, the argument was the offense was top ten in yards, blah, blah, blah... but not where it counts. In 2009, we changed that. In most offensive categories, we are top ten, I dare say top 5. Same thing is going to happen to our defense in 2010. I know this, because GK is (& has been) very methodical in his approach to building this team, from the ground up.

You want to argue that it's taking too long, that's fine, I can't argue that. I'm not happy with how long it is taking. But you've got to be blind not to see there are more good things going on than bad.

We're chipping away, & eventually the damn is going to break, and there will be a flood of success in H-Town.

That's a damn funny Freudian slip! Because if the dam that is holding back the Texans's success doesn't break, there will be a lot of "damn's" coming from my mouth!

I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane. More than my issue with Switzer though, was the fact that Jerry's ego was so monstrous that he risked destroying the greatest team in modern NFL history in order to get more credit for himself. Also, I found the off-season personnel decisions distasteful: signing guys like Deion Sanders while letting go of many of the players that were there from the beginning. It became a collection of stars and personalities and much less of a team, IMO.

Finally, though, I just don't know all of the reasons why. What I do know is that I watched the Cowboys beat the Steelers in the Superbowl and felt absolutely no joy or satisfaction. I was happy for some of the players but it was a very hollow experience for me as a fan. That's when I knew that I couldn't root for the team anymore. Also, I had just started attending games at Texas Stadium in the early '90s and was quickly disenchanted with the gameday experience there. So, that didn't help any. The stadium sucked. The parking situation was a nightmare and I was surrounded by Cowboy fans- and that ain't no picknup, let me tell you!

Didn't like the Switzer hire.

Jerry did ruin a dynasty and the problems that team has had since he fired Johnson he kinda brought on himself.

We disagree about Deion, Jerry is an owner who will do anything to win. As long as he gets credit for winning. He saw Deion as the last piece of the puzzle to win a championship. He was right.

Did you wish at that time as a Cowboy fan that they didn't sign Deion?

What if not signing Deion meant no championship? Would you still be against signing him?

The reason I asked these questions is because when(Hopefully) the Texans get close to winning a championship will you be willing to sign a a FA or draft a player with character questions?

I'm willing to bet the answer is no. I think that McNair agrees with you on this topic and that concerns me about McNair.

Didn't like the Switzer hire.

Jerry did ruin a dynasty and the problems that team has had since he fired Johnson he kinda brought on himself.

We disagree about Deion, Jerry is an owner who will do anything to win. As long as he gets credit for winning. He saw Deion as the last piece of the puzzle to win a championship. He was right.

Did you wish at that time as a Cowboy fan that they didn't sign Deion?

What if not signing Deion meant no championship? Would you still be against signing him?

The reason I asked these questions is because when(Hopefully) the Texans get close to winning a championship will you be willing to sign a a FA or draft a player with character questions?

I'm willing to bet the answer is no. I think that McNair agrees with you on this topic and that concerns me about McNair.

I was excited about the Deion signing when it happenned... I think it's impossible to not get excited about those things. Even now, if the Texans went for someone like that (say haynesworth last year), part of me would be excited about it. However, I would also be worried about it and concerned that it is irresponsible and would end up doing more damage to the team than helping.

Also, though, I think those moves cheapen the fan experience. Look at Dallas a few years ago. That fan base absolutely despised TO. Then, they signed him and everyone had a TO jersey. Then, he was gone and everyone celebrated that he was gone. Those events don't allow for the kind of relationship with the team and players that I really enjoy. So, while I was thrilled to get Deion on the team and he helped them win that season, I think it actually cheapened the experience for me- particularly in combination with losing players that I had rooted for since they were rookies... Ken Norton, for instance.

I absolutely love how this team is being put together. Drafting well, developing young guys and then (hopefully) retaining them. Even our FA signings are young players. Sharing and participating in the growing pains of these young players and coaches will make the winning so much richer. For me, it already has.

I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane.

I thought it was more a mistake than trying to deliberately take the gun in. Perhaps he kept a gun in his travel bag while driving and forgot to remove it before flying. It's possible. Heck my grandmother forgot to remove her brass knuckles from her purse when we went to the airport to pick up my kids (a while ago of course). The security attendants thought it was hilarious and actually returned them to her when we returned and all of them called her Grandma. I know, I know, that was illegal.

I thought it was more a mistake than trying to deliberately take the gun in. Perhaps he kept a gun in his travel bag while driving and forgot to remove it before flying. It's possible. Heck my grandmother forgot to remove her brass knuckles from her purse when we went to the airport to pick up my kids (a while ago of course). The security attendants thought it was hilarious and actually returned them to her when we returned and all of them called her Grandma. I know, I know, that was illegal.

Remind me not to mess with your granny. :)

You do realize that after the first 4 years with Seattle (as GM & Head Coach), Holmgren's record was 31-33 with year one being the only playoff appearance - earned via a 9-7 record. FWIW, years 2-4 were 6-10, 9-7, and 7-9 respectively.

All I'm saying is if this is the run-up to competing for a Championship in years 5/6, by your own logic, you should be feeling pretty good about Kubes right now.

Last edited:
I was excited about the Deion signing when it happenned... I think it's impossible to not get excited about those things. Even now, if the Texans went for someone like that (say haynesworth last year), part of me would be excited about it. However, I would also be worried about it and concerned that it is irresponsible and would end up doing more damage to the team than helping.

Also, though, I think those moves cheapen the fan experience. Look at Dallas a few years ago. That fan base absolutely despised TO. Then, they signed him and everyone had a TO jersey. Then, he was gone and everyone celebrated that he was gone. Those events don't allow for the kind of relationship with the team and players that I really enjoy. So, while I was thrilled to get Deion on the team and he helped them win that season, I think it actually cheapened the experience for me- particularly in combination with losing players that I had rooted for since they were rookies... Ken Norton, for instance.

I absolutely love how this team is being put together. Drafting well, developing young guys and then (hopefully) retaining them. Even our FA signings are young players. Sharing and participating in the growing pains of these young players and coaches will make the winning so much richer. For me, it already has.

Sorry, I've sat out and heard too much of this.

First of all, this is the day and age of the new FA so the early 90s Cowboys were the last of the teams that were able to just pay guys to keep a core together. Once that cap and new FA started, no team can build and just keep all their guys....including todays Texans.

Secondly, since when have the Texans been drafting gurus that are taking all these young studs and FAs and developing them? For every Cushing there is an Omobi and others. For every Pollard there are many Ahman Greens. They are doing the same thing all the other teams are doing. Hoping to hit in the draft, keeping the guys through their first contract and then maybe keeping them...thus the contract problems of late with Dunta, OD, etc. Right now there is zero evidence on whether it will work or be a failure. So far it is soso.

As far as Deion. It was a great move. They did the same thing getting Charles Haley, a move that propelled their defense to those SBs. They needed another fix when they had CB problems and just did what the 49ers had done before them, bring in Deion. It was the only way they were going to win another one.

As far as TO..not everyone liked the TO move. Most I know didn't. But once a guy is on the team you have to pretty much accept it as fact and cheer your team on. Once he pulled what he did in San Fran and Philly, fans saw the writing and wanted him gone. Philly fan loved him too. Same with 49er fan. That is the way FA and the business works.

Overall none of it is an offense to make me dislike a team I cheered on since the mid 70s. I'm lucky to have seen alot more success than failure and no team is perfect in how they are run or coached. I mean NE was a joke before this regime. Did their fans quit?Just saying.

Too funny Star. I thought it was a mistake too. Switzer was a fool at times but I do think post Jimmy, he worked because the players were worn down by Jimmy. I also agree with SH that he could have easily of had 2 SBs if they hadn't have started with 3 turnovers straight and then still made it a game vs the 49ers. I liked his work more than Campo or Gailey, though Gailey did decent and had a good background with the Steelers.

Last edited:
I have lived in Texas 35 of my 36 years. I spent much of my youth in the Houston area. There are things I like about Houston and things I don't. The same can be said of Austin. I've never gotten into the civic and state pride thing that is so popular in Texas. That quote of mine was tongue and cheek responding to SteelbTexan's assertion that he's a Texan fan because he roots for "all things Houston and Texas".

but, since you brought it up, there is less pollution in Austin, the traffic is much more manageable, kids aren't as fat... I'm not sure about the illegal alien ratio, though. Oh, and I despise the University of Texas!

hmmmm... commitment issues, eh?
:)

and not just Texas, America.

hmmmm... commitment issues, eh?
:)

and not just Texas, America.

I'm committed to my wife and my kids. I live in Texas.

If I left my wife and kids, that would be a betrayal.
If I left the state of Texas, that would just be a relocation.

I'm committed to my wife and my kids. I live in Texas.

If I left my wife and kids, that would be a betrayal.
If I left the state of Texas, that would just be a relocation.

depends on what made you decide you needed to leave.
divorces and relocations happen for many reasons

...but I get the distinction you're making.
some folks feel the same way about their sports teams and communities as you feel about your family. I'm not going to tell them they shouldn't.

Back