Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

McNair Reflects and Reveals..........

What is the average logevity of a HC with one team in the NFL?

Dont know this answer but it would give insight into how McNair thinks.

McNair is probably a guy who doesn't like change. He only makes changes if not making a change is going to cost him money.

Sheesh, that's a good question. I think the Raiders really bring down the average though. :heh:

If the Texans regress next year then fine. Say whatever you want. But until next year is played out... its kind of all premature imo.

Lets put Kubiaks coaching in terms of wins into a line graph. 6, 8, 8, and now 9. Is the arrow pointed up? Lets just pretend the Texans win 10 or more games next year. Then how does the line graph look? Totally acceptable and seemingly set for steady success thereafter? Damn sure thats how it would look to me and would prove everything he is saying about building through the draft for long term success. So lets see where 2010 takes us.

Agreed

We'll just have to see how it plays out

That's the fun part.

Reupping for tickets while waiting to see how it plays out is the part that stinks.

How many Parcells-type guys take over a fledgling expansion team coming off a 2-14 season? Wasn't Dom Capers highly regarded when McNair hired him?

Not by me,

Another Casserly screw up

Or he sees a good coach on the verge of becoming a very good coach and doesn't want to start the whole process all over again.

Parcells did take over 1-15 Miami team

steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon are spot on in this thread. It comes down to results and based on that criteria (which is a hallmark of well run franchises) Kubiak should have been fired for his pathetic 1-5 division record alone.

I don't get why so many Texans fans are content with mediocrity. I am sick of the excuses made for the lack of performance. I really believe the pathetically soft Houston sports media and Kool Aid drinking fans are a big part of the problem as it allows McNair to keep feeding us dog **** at filet mignon prices because he doesn't feel the pressure that others do in cities like Philly, New York, etc.

steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon are spot on in this thread. It comes down to results and based on that criteria (which is a hallmark of well run franchises) Kubiak should have been fired for his pathetic 1-5 division record alone.

I don't get why so many Texans fans are content with mediocrity. I am sick of the excuses made for the lack of performance. I really believe the pathetically soft Houston sports media and Kool Aid drinking fans are a big part of the problem as it allows McNair to keep feeding us dog **** at filet mignon prices because he doesn't feel the pressure that others do in cities like Philly, New York, etc.

Well that's one way to put it.

LOL

I don't understand why people keep saying this. I don't think anyone is content with mediocrity. I just believe that we are heading in the right direction. As McNair said, you have to take a look at what the cost would be of making a change. If you bring in a new head coach every 4 yrs or so, the new coach is going to have a new scheme and that means he will have to rebuild to get the players for his scheme. Add a few years to the progression of the franchise.

Making a change just to make a change is a horrible way to run a business.

Translation for the rest of us: Yall don't think the way I do, so you are wrong and accept mediocrity and/or are happy with losing seasons.

Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Frank Bush

Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton (kinda), Vonta Leach, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Bernard Pollard, performances from guys like Zac Diles, Glover Quin, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, Mike Brisiel, Connor Barwin, the potential of guys like Duane Brown, Antoine Caldwell, Xavier Adibi, James Casey, Brice McCain, Amobi Okoye, etc etc

THIS team has me excited, I'm really looking forward to the guys we add from the deep draft and REALLY like our chances of shortly becoming a dominant team.

Can you imagine if... no, WHEN we add a playmaker at RB from the draft?
This Offense = :firework:

Translation for the rest of us: Yall don't think the way I do, so you are wrong and accept mediocrity and/or are happy with losing seasons.

Oh THAT'S what it means.
hehehehehe
old Soapers never die, they just gripe away.

Oh THAT'S what it means.
hehehehehe
old Soapers never die, they just gripe away.

And you know, it's not like I'm thrilled with the fact we've never been to the playoffs, and that last season was a kick in the gut. It's just after a while I get SO tired of the bitchin' and moanin'.

It's a new year, last year is over with. Let's wait for the new season to at least start before we start bitching or drinking the kool-aid.

Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Frank Bush

Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton (kinda), Vonta Leach, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Bernard Pollard, performances from guys like Zac Diles, Glover Quin, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, Mike Brisiel, Connor Barwin, the potential of guys like Duane Brown, Antoine Caldwell, Xavier Adibi, James Casey, Brice McCain, Amobi Okoye, etc etc

THIS team has me excited, I'm really looking forward to the guys we add from the deep draft and REALLY like our chances of shortly becoming a dominant team.

Can you imagine if... no, WHEN we add a playmaker at RB from the draft?
This Offense = :firework:

This is what I'mlooking forward to next season. They need one moe interior OL too. IMHO

There's talent there no question about that. McNair and you think Kubes is the one to get the team over the top. I hope y'all are right.

And you know, it's not like I'm thrilled with the fact we've never been to the playoffs, and that last season was a kick in the gut. It's just after a while I get SO tired of the bitchin' and moanin'.

It's a new year, last year is over with. Let's wait for the new season to at least start before we start bitching or drinking the kool-aid.

Thorn when would be a good time to voice concerns about the direction the franchise is headed?

After the draft?

At TC

Just asking

The average life span a HC gets to turn a team around is 5 yrs. This is year 5.

There will be more excuses if they dont make the playoffs this year. It gets tiring after awhile.

For me it's make the playoffs or bust. But it doesn't matter what I think. Only what McNair thinks.

Thorn when would be a good time to voice concerns about the direction the franchise is headed?

After the draft?

At TC

Just asking

* heavy sigh *

Any time is a good time I suppose. Me telling yall what you can and can't post is as stupid on my part as I think yall's continual bitching about the Texans is. So, go for it. Yall *****, and I'll ***** about your bitching.

Does that work for you? :)

What is the average logevity of a HC with one team in the NFL?
Dont know this answer but it would give insight into how McNair thinks.

McNair is probably a guy who doesn't like change. He only makes changes if not making a change is going to cost him money.

According to the 2004 book Winning the NFL Way: Leadership Lessons From Football's Top Head Coaches ,

Being an NFL coach is the ultimate high-pressure job. The average life span of a coach is two and a half years, so there is an enormous amount of pressure and scrutiny, from demanding owners, millions of fickle fans, and unyielding media. Every Sunday he makes split-second decisions that will not only decide the fate of a game but also his team's season and, ultimately, his own job.

Works for me.
Besides, in a couple of weeks or so, we all can ***** about who they did or didn't draft.
:)

...Stands up and gives a HELL YEAH! :texflag:

hekkyes.jpg

* heavy sigh *

Any time is a good time I suppose. Me telling yall what you can and can't post is as stupid on my part as I think yall's continual bitching about the Texans is. So, go for it. Yall *****, and I'll ***** about your bitching.

Does that work for you? :)

It doesn't work for me.

LOL

You're such an Aggie homer

If Kubes wasn't an Aggie it would be off with his head.

LOL

Honestly it has nothing to do with him being an Aggie, going to St. Pius or being Elway's back-up for that matter. I like the fact the he took a **** team, essentially turned the roster over and are now on the cusp of the playoffs... It's really that simple.

The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.

Giving a local legend and former A&M great twice the average of the typical HC in the NFL wont be enough for the Aggie fans on this MB.

There will be injuries,excuses and more mediocrity but it wont matter to McNair and the rest of the Aggies on this MB. If you just give Kubes one more year he will make this team great.

Kubes will do this because he's a local legend and gosh darn it an all around great guy.

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.[/QUOTE]

How do you know this to be a fact?

Who was beating down Kubes door to hire him?

Giving a local legend and former A&M great twice the average of the typical HC in the NFL wont be enough for the Aggie fans on this MB.

There will be injuries,excuses and more mediocrity but it wont matter to McNair and the rest of the Aggies on this MB. If you just give Kubes one more year he will make this team great.

Kubes will do this because he's a local legend and gosh darn it an all around great guy.

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

wow, just wow

Why did they have to overcome this adversity?

Having rookies at key positions in the organization was McNair's choice.

Why did he choose to bring this adversity on himself and the organization. Hiring rookies basically says the organization is willing to go through a 4/5 yr learning curve.

This is why teams usually hire vets like Parcells or Holmgren to run their organization. Proven winners that know how to set up and run an organization.

After 4 yrs we still dont know if Smithiak can build a championship organization. Cleveland knows that within 5 yrs they will have a winning organization.

McNair took/is still taking a huge risk on the Smithiak regime. If they fall on their face this year and with this years schedule it's possible this could happen, where does McNair turn then?

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

please stop.

Honestly it has nothing to do with him being an Aggie, going to St. Pius or being Elway's back-up for that matter. I like the fact the he took a **** team, essentially turned the roster over and are now on the cusp of the playoffs... It's really that simple.

The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.

simply laughable

there was a reason he never got a job before the Texans

in fact, we didn't even hire him in 2002...what did he do between then and 2006?

oh that's right, nothing except stay cheap and stay local 'legend'

whatever, you have your .500 hero and you have your delusions

and unlike you, i wont resort to name calling or being a complete ass about it

kubiak is .500...he is your hero

congratulations

simply laughable

in fact, we didn't even hire him in 2002...what did he do between then and 2006?

congratulations

HA!!!! What's laughable are your oft unintelligeble, agenda driven diabtribes.

simply laughable

This is FAIL

simply laughable

congratulations

kubiak could've been head coach long before he interviewed for the 2002 texans. i've got no interest in digging up the reports, but to even assume the OC of back to back superbowl champs doesnt have half the league beating down his door is just plain ignorant.

kubiak could've been head coach long before he interviewed for the 2002 texans. i've got no interest in digging up the reports, but to even assume the OC of back to back superbowl champs doesnt have half the league beating down his door is just plain ignorant.

I think Brakos would call it Rule 4. No facts or common sense allowed in this thread.

Now he's determined to do the same for Houston.

“I always wanted an opportunity to be a head coach, but I always liked the job I had,” he said. “I didn't want to be a head coach just to be a head coach. I wanted an opportunity that was special.

“I interviewed for (the Texans) job the first time it came around. I never dreamed the opportunity would come around again in my hometown. It's special.”

http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/Dec/11/kubiak-has-stayed-true-to-his-roots/

Oddly, SH and Steelbtexan found quite a bit of time in their busy schedules once an article appeared that could be spun negatively towards Bob McNair... Demeco Ryans gets a 6 year contract and they have almost nothing to say. However, an article that discusses problems with the organiztion from 5, 6, or 7 years ago, now that deserves hours upon hours of rehashing and complaining. Interesting.

Oddly, SH and Steelbtexan found quite a bit of time in their busy schedules once an article appeared that could be spun negatively towards Bob McNair... Demeco Ryans gets a 6 year contract and they have almost nothing to say. However, an article that discusses problems with the organiztion from 5, 6, or 7 years ago, now that deserves hours upon hours of rehashing and complaining. Interesting.

:lol:

I'm glad McNair re-signed Ryans and Pollard. He would've been stupid not to re-sign them. Good job Bob. What more do you want me to say?

I said good job in another thread. If you want me to I will say good job in all threads from now until TC.

Thanks for signing Ryans and Pollard
Thanks for signing ryans and Pollard

And so on and so on, Good enough or do we need a praise be to Bob

Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob ETC.............................

How about making the playoffs

LOL

i gotta call bs on this
you must not be paying attention because I posted plenty on the DeMeco thread

i love my Texans and consider myself a pretty rabid fan but sometimes I can't post on a topic immediately. i would hope that wouldn't be automatically considered like I was ducking the issue or somehow thinking it would be humble pie because McNair paid Ryans. nothing could be further from the truth.

just sayin, but i dont think i have ever shown a propensity to try and sugarcoat anything or lift up my skirt and run when something i didn't expect to happen happens or when something happens that some people would assume i wouldn't be happy about. i expected demeco to be re-signed and he was. they frontloaded the deal which makes sense too. its a win-win and proves again that McNair can retain key players (AJ, DR, and last year with Dunta) my problem has been the ability to attract, lure, and finish the deal on players that could be key for us and instrumental in taking the next step as a franchise, and for giving Kubiak an extension after a .500 record. Play out your contract, and please don't give me the BS about luring assistants. Gary was inexpensive and convenient. Any prospective OC would be doing cartwheels to come to our offense with the talent we have and established quality starters at every position except G, C, and RB. Prospective OCs would be more than happy to come to Houston either way. Just another excuse is all it is by the Kool Aid Krew.

I don't see how expecting and wanting more is so vilified by the KoolAid Kids. Spend the money and get a better HC if Gary craps the bed again this year. No more stupid mistakes by the coaching staff. Stop coming out flat. Play with some more intensity (which did improve this year, mind you) and stop shooting yourself in the foot. Stop making stupid decisions. Is that too much to ask?

I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone. Snap the ball and spike it. It's pretty simple and that one brainfart by Gary cost us the playoffs just as much as coming out like a bunch of Girl Scouts against the Jets in our Home Opener. Plus the love affair with Chris Myers and Chris Brown cost us big time. Myers has been total garbage since Day One and Chris Brown cost us more than a few games. Nice call on the option pass too, Gary. Just a total sh*t for brains move.

I'm glad McNair re-signed Ryans and Pollard. He would've been stupid not to re-sign them. Good job Bob. What more do you want me to say?

I said good job in another thread. If you want me to I will say good job in all threads from now until TC.

Thanks for signing ryans and Pollard

And so on and so on, Good enough or do we need a praise be to Bob

Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob ETC.............................

How about making the playoffs

LOL

You don't seem to have a problem repeating yourself over and over when being critical of the organization. Can you not see that it is peculiar that you get so excited and energized to complain about the team that you root for and yet are almost silent when good things happen.

Believe me, I understand reacting strongly after a bad game or when Kasey Studdard makes the roster. However, it's April. The Texans finally had a winning record last season. The team is very young and quite talented. We have all our draft picks. Ryans has been re-signed. OD and Pollard are staying put. We've added a nice player for the interior line. We've lost one contributor to last season's squad. We've upgraded the coaching staff.

So, what happens: a thread pops up that Demeco Ryans will be here for the next 6 years and most of you that argued Bob McNair was too cheap, too indifferent, or too stupid to sign him have very little to say about it. Then, a day later, an article rehashing the beginning years of the franchise appears, and you have about 25 negative posts on it. I'm thinking that being a Texan fan isn't much fun for you. And, that's a shame.

i gotta call bs on this
you must not be paying attention because I posted plenty on the DeMeco thread

i love my Texans and consider myself a pretty rabid fan but sometimes I can't post on a topic immediately. i would hope that wouldn't be automatically considered like I was ducking the issue or somehow thinking it would be humble pie because McNair paid Ryans. nothing could be further from the truth.

just sayin, but i dont think i have ever shown a propensity to try and sugarcoat anything or lift up my skirt and run when something i didn't expect to happen happens or when something happens that some people would assume i wouldn't be happy about. i expected demeco to be re-signed and he was. they frontloaded the deal which makes sense too. its a win-win and proves again that McNair can retain key players (AJ, DR, and last year with Dunta) my problem has been the ability to attract, lure, and finish the deal on players that could be key for us and instrumental in taking the next step as a franchise, and for giving Kubiak an extension after a .500 record. Play out your contract, and please don't give me the BS about luring assistants. Gary was inexpensive and convenient. Any prospective OC would be doing cartwheels to come to our offense with the talent we have and established quality starters at every position except G, C, and RB. Prospective OCs would be more than happy to come to Houston either way. Just another excuse is all it is by the Kool Aid Krew.

I don't see how expecting and wanting more is so vilified by the KoolAid Kids. Spend the money and get a better HC if Gary craps the bed again this year. No more stupid mistakes by the coaching staff. Stop coming out flat. Play with some more intensity (which did improve this year, mind you) and stop shooting yourself in the foot. Stop making stupid decisions. Is that too much to ask?

I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone. Snap the ball and spike it. It's pretty simple and that one brainfart by Gary cost us the playoffs just as much as coming out like a bunch of Girl Scouts against the Jets in our Home Opener. Plus the love affair with Chris Myers and Chris Brown cost us big time. Myers has been total garbage since Day One and Chris Brown cost us more than a few games. Nice call on the option pass too, Gary. Just a total sh*t for brains move.

:yawn: thanks for more tired, boring........... typical drivel....

You rock on my entertainment radar.... Love ya!!!!!!!! Mean it!!!! lol:

Keep it coming! This is some funny shite!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, btw have I called you a name?? I know you're sensitive that way.

I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone..

This is what I take issue with. You are so anxious to attack the Texans that you don't even bother to concern yourself with accuracy:

1. No timeout was called. It was the 2:00 minute warning. The argument at the time was that they should've run up to the line and either spiked the ball or called a play before the two minute warning.

2. If the fumble was so clear to everyone, why did Caldwell not throw the flag until the 2:00 minute warning.

3. Caldwell said after the fact that the stadium didn't show the replay until after the 2:00 minute warning. Normally, he said, his home stadium is very good about giving him a look at a close play in that situation.

4. It was not clearly a fumble. That was a call that could've gone either way.

5. Name a coach that hasn't made a bonehead call? They all do. You guys have a valid argument concerning Kubiak when you bring up his record the past two seasons and the way the Texans don't consisently finish off games in the second half. But, cherry-picking a miscalculation on an instant replay seems a bit of a reach. Particularly, if you watched the absurd things Belichek did last season.

I'm actually kind of excited by the fact that Cal is pretty much right there at Mr. McNair's side during all of the day to day operations.

He's relatively young and takes a substantial intrest in the Texans.

I was thinking about a few different organizations and their ownership situations while everyone complains about this one.

I have a friend or two that are Redskins fans and they are hopeless because their owner is very young and well, they're kind of stuck with him.

Then on the other side of the coin you have Al Davis who refuses to die but equally, refuses to give up control of the circus of the decade.

Mr. McNair appears to be in fairly good health but for me, and I know I'm thinking waaaaaay down the road, but It's comforting to know that Cal is right there learning the ropes and seems genuinely interested.

sorry for the tangent... back to your sand box fight. don't eat the cat sh!t.

Cal might be great, we dont know. Obviously he has Bob's ear.

Hopefully it will be like the Joneses. Where Stephen listened to the coaches and offensive leaders on the team.

Stephen took their opinion to Jerry and told Jerry TO needed to go.

Fortunately for the Cowgirls Jerry listened to Stephen.

Lets hope this happens with the Bob and Cal.

Cal might be great, we dont know. Obviously he has Bob's ear.

Hopefully it will be like the Joneses. Where Stephen listened to the coaches and offensive leaders on the team.

Stephen took their opinion to Jerry and told Jerry TO needed to go.

Fortunately for the Cowgirls Jerry listened to Stephen.

Lets hope this happens with the Bob and Cal.

All 3 of Jerry's kids are involved with decisions regarding the Cowboys but Stephen will be the one to take over. Terrell might still be there if Stephen hadn't laid the law down to his dad.

Why did McNair put himself through all of the growing pains of hiring all 1st timers GM?HC. Knowing that it would take 4 or 5 yrs for them to hopefully become upper echelon type guys? Instead of hiring a Parcells type guy?

There is no guarantee that a Parcells type guy would have done any different. Remember what Parcells did in Dallas... not much different from where we are today, 4 years after Kubiak. Holmgren had 10 years in Seattle, how did that turn out?

What was the honest opinion of Dungy going to Indy? The HC that can't win the big one, with the QB that can't win the big one?

McNair's reasoning is sound in my mind for extending Kubiak's contract. He's done a good job building our team, and teaching our guys how to play at this level.

I don't disagree that we need to see more wins. But I believe they are coming. There is plenty of evidence to support that thinking.

I don't think they're so much as excuses as they are mitigating factors. You have those in any line of business. i.e. the economy would be a mitigating factor as to why a salesman's sales were down. So if he didn't get the revenue you wanted and you fired him, you're going to have to hire somebody else, get him used to the company, fellow employees, product, etc. Or hire him/someone when the economy picks back up - trouble is your competition may have already snatched him up and you're stuck with product waiting to be sold and nobody sell it.

The bottom line is McNair thinks going forward, Kubiak is the quickest way to get this city a winner.
I like your analogy, I think it's very appropriate for our situation. It's arguable that the AFC South is the strongest division in the league, but the AFC North looks pretty scary as well. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore. Then Miami is getting stronger and so are the Jets, and so is Denver.

Not making excuses, but look at how many teams were in the race for the wildcard in weeks 15, 16, & 17. IMHO, there are only 3 bad teams in the AFC right now. A bunch of mediocre teams, and 4 solidly good teams.

Yes, there are probably coaches & GMs out there, that probably could have improved our W/L each year by one or two games, but I don't believe there are many that could have had built a team ripe with talent that improves on the field every year, and maintain an improving W/L. 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7....

The points about past record, division record, etc. are critical but absolutely warranted. The question is, will changing coaches right now make us a winner quicker. Some think yes, some think no. If it's my money... I'm sticking with the guys I've got with Kubiak, Smith, Bush, etc. You may think differently, you're free to, I don't think its dumb/stupid... I get your reasoning but I see it a different way.

Either way, I think it's a gamble, a question of probability. What are the chances that we're going to get a first year Mike Smith, Tony Sparano, or Sean Peyton? What are the chances that we land Gruden, who can take us to & win the SuperBowl his first year? What are the chances we can land Cowher, implement a hard-nose ground attack, a 3-4 defense, and get us to the play-offs year one?

I'm with you, I think our chances of a championship, or a play-off win is much better with the guys that got us here.

& no, I don't think we are a Championship team right now, but the way the NFL works, you don't have to be. I think last years team was good enough to beat any team in the play-offs, if we had got there. I have faith that Kubiak & Smith will field a team as good if not better than that team in 2010.

Back