Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

McNair Reflects and Reveals..........

There is no guarantee that a Parcells type guy would have done any different. Remember what Parcells did in Dallas... not much different from where we are today, 4 years after Kubiak. Holmgren had 10 years in Seattle, how did that turn out?

What was the honest opinion of Dungy going to Indy? The HC that can't win the big one, with the QB that can't win the big one?

McNair's reasoning is sound in my mind for extending Kubiak's contract. He's done a good job building our team, and teaching our guys how to play at this level.

I don't disagree that we need to see more wins. But I believe they are coming. There is plenty of evidence to support that thinking.

Holmgren won aSB at Green Bay so he had a track record. He took Seattle to the SB and would've won it if not for th refs.

While I'm not a Dungy fan he did have atrack record of building a good defense and took Tampa to the playoffs many times. So he had a good track record.

Kubes has done a god job rebuilding this team. Where we differ is I dont think Kubes is a SB winning coach. You do, I hope I'm wrong.

What evidence suggests that more wins are comming? 7-9,8-8,8-8,9-7. I dont see a whole lot of improvement. But maybe I'm blinded by their record. I hope that's the case.

This is what I take issue with. You are so anxious to attack the Texans that you don't even bother to concern yourself with accuracy:

1. No timeout was called. It was the 2:00 minute warning. The argument at the time was that they should've run up to the line and either spiked the ball or called a play before the two minute warning.

2. If the fumble was so clear to everyone, why did Caldwell not throw the flag until the 2:00 minute warning.

3. Caldwell said after the fact that the stadium didn't show the replay until after the 2:00 minute warning. Normally, he said, his home stadium is very good about giving him a look at a close play in that situation.

4. It was not clearly a fumble. That was a call that could've gone either way.

5. Name a coach that hasn't made a bonehead call? They all do. You guys have a valid argument concerning Kubiak when you bring up his record the past two seasons and the way the Texans don't consisently finish off games in the second half. But, cherry-picking a miscalculation on an instant replay seems a bit of a reach. Particularly, if you watched the absurd things Belichek did last season.

ok, not necessarily a timeout, but Kubiak just let the clock go down and didn't run a play when everyone knew that was a fumble and a reversal would jeopardize a First and Goal opportunity.

are you serious? you don't think that was a fumble? that just shows the bias you play with. clearly it was a fumble.

here is the bottom line. gary was scared of giving Peyton an extra 10 seconds on the clock so he let it run down. so in order to protect 10 lousy seconds, he blew a 1st and Goal opportunity that was there for the taking. I was watching with my friends and every last one of us were like 'spike the freaking ball' and then when they let the clock run down because Gary coaches like a scared little girl....and it came back to bite us.

was he not watching the play like he does with fields goals....total wuss
was he hiding behind the Denny's menu in fear of the outcome....total wuss

kubiak is .500 coach and for some reason a lot of you think he is going to take us to the Super Bowl...forgive me for not buying it.

I can understand TB's myopia. After all, Kubiak is the best err only QB that Texas A&M has had that has been worth a crap...so he has a bias that makes him blind to the facts and to Kubiak's ineptitude as a game day decision maker and an in-game adjustment manager.

Cal might be great, we dont know. Obviously he has Bob's ear.

Hopefully it will be like the Joneses. Where Stephen listened to the coaches and offensive leaders on the team.

Stephen took their opinion to Jerry and told Jerry TO needed to go.

Fortunately for the Cowgirls Jerry listened to Stephen.

Lets hope this happens with the Bob and Cal.

Actually, I hope it will be like the McNair's where Bob writes the checks and hires football people that he believes in and lets them do their jobs. It's been a learning experience for him. I recognize that, but at least he's learning unlike Jerry who has to have his kids smack him upside his plastic face and say "daddy, this isn't working. please change things."

Why not hire coaches competent enough to not even bring in a guy like that? Why not let football people make football decisions? Jerry Jones is not a good GM. As a good buisiness man he knows that but this is his one baby where making money will come anyway. Owning an NFL franchise is easy money. So he can play big baby and make a killing.

I'd rather have Mr. McNair and Cal sitting next to him listening to Smithiak any day.

Either way, I think it's a gamble, a question of probability. What are the chances that we're going to get a first year Mike Smith, Tony Sparano, or Sean Peyton? What are the chances that we land Gruden, who can take us to & win the SuperBowl his first year? What are the chances we can land Cowher, implement a hard-nose ground attack, a 3-4 defense, and get us to the play-offs year one?

I'm with you, I think our chances of a championship, or a play-off win is much better with the guys that got us here.

& no, I don't think we are a Championship team right now, but the way the NFL works, you don't have to be. I think last years team was good enough to beat any team in the play-offs, if we had got there. I have faith that Kubiak & Smith will field a team as good if not better than that team in 2010.

I think a big difference between us and those coaching situations is that all of them took steps backwards after their successful first seasons. Gruden was never as successful as he was that first year that he took over Dungy's team. Did he get them over the top? Perhaps, but it's only part of the equation. Sparano and Parcells have done a terrific job of utilizing the talent that they have but it is already being phased out. Payton is the big winner here (and not just because of the obvious superbowl win.) He has bounced back with go figure, multiple 8-8 seasons and then ultimate success.

I think you're dead right about the last comment you made about the Texans going into the playoffs last year. We were playing as good as any team in the NFL. We could have beaten any of those teams if the chips fell right. I wouldn't be surprised if Cincy laid down for that reason specifically.

ok, not necessarily a timeout, but Kubiak just let the clock go down and didn't run a play when everyone knew that was a fumble and a reversal would jeopardize a First and Goal opportunity.

are you serious? you don't think that was a fumble? that just shows the bias you play with. clearly it was a fumble.

here is the bottom line. gary was scared of giving Peyton an extra 10 seconds on the clock so he let it run down. so in order to protect 10 lousy seconds, he blew a 1st and Goal opportunity that was there for the taking. I was watching with my friends and every last one of us were like 'spike the freaking ball' and then when they let the clock run down because Gary coaches like a scared little girl....and it came back to bite us.

kubiak is .500 coach and for some reason a lot of you think he is going to take us to the Super Bowl...forgive me for not buying it.

I can understand TB's myopia. After all, Kubiak is the best err only QB that Texas A&M has had that has been worth a crap...so he has a bias that makes him blind to the facts and to Kubiak's ineptitude as a game day decision maker and an in-game adjustment manager.

you swing that pendulum way to the other side

I as far as the Texas A&M thing where do some of y'all get that crap? I don't recall ANYONE giving someone a free pass because of the school they went to

seems to be a Big foot argument.. heard about but never seen

I support Kubiak because I think he's a good coach. I think he has this team moving in the right direction. And I expect great things from him in the future.

I do NOT support Kubiak because he's from Houston. I do NOT support Kubiak because he's an Aggie.

I really do not care where a coach comes from or what school he went to or what teams he played on as a player. I just want the coach to be able to put together a great team and win.

Kubiak has not been a rookie coach since his first season. Smith hasn't been a rookie GM since his first season. I think they've both improved and continue to improve.

I think changing either at this point would probably be counter productive.

Many of the Aggies in my family talked about it when I was growing up. "Aggie Ring Stories". Guys flash their ring and things happened for them. Job interviews and the like.

I dropped out and got into the music industry so that doesn't really fly but I can say at least at one time it may have carried some weight.

Do I think that has ANYTHING to do with Kubiak in the NFL?

nope.

Actually, when it happened, it looked like a fumble out of bounds. And the player that recovered it had one foot out of bounds when it happened and did not re-establish position in bounds before he had control of the ball. Simply a bad call.

Sorry, I meant to say that I think it was a close call whether it should've been a change of posession or not. There were two issues at hand on that play: Moats may have been out of bounds when he lossed control and the ball may have been touched by a player while that player was out of bounds... Third, by the way, the Colts probably should've gotten the ball inside the one and not a touchback if the ball was ruled live.

Regardless though, the point is that even the Superbowl caliber coach on the opposite side of the field (Caldwell) didn't recognize the potential fumble until after the 2:00 minute warning. Why should Kubiak be held at a higher standard? Should the Colts be livid that Caldwell didn't react to the play any faster? If not, is it only because fortune smiled on him?

You don't like Kubiak, you don't like McNair, you don't like Rick Smith. If I was you, I simply wouldn't root for the team. Perhaps you just really like the mascot? I can't root for organizations that I don't believe in. I know I'm in the minority. But, if I don't respect the owner and believe in the organization, I simply can't root for them. That's why I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore. Perhaps living in Austin gives me the advantage or disadvantage of not feeling some connection to the team based on civic pride. Of course, I would think it quite a challenge to be proud of the city of Houston but I know that a lot of you are.

Sorry, I meant to say that I think it was a close call whether it should've been a change of posession or not. There were two issues at hand on that play: Moats may have been out of bounds when he lossed control and the ball may have been touched by a player while that player was out of bounds... Third, by the way, the Colts probably should've gotten the ball inside the one and not a touchback if the ball was ruled live.

Regardless though, the point is that even the Superbowl caliber coach on the opposite side of the field (Caldwell) didn't recognize the potential fumble until after the 2:00 minute warning. Why should Kubiak be held at a higher standard? Should the Colts be livid that Caldwell didn't react to the play any faster? If not, is it only because fortune smiled on him?

You don't like Kubiak, you don't like McNair, you don't like Rick Smith. If I was you, I simply wouldn't root for the team. Perhaps you just really like the mascot? I can't root for organizations that I don't believe in. I know I'm in the minority. But, if I don't respect the owner and believe in the organization, I simply can't root for them. That's why I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore. Perhaps living in Austin gives me the advantage or disadvantage of not feeling some connection to the team based on civic pride. Of course, I would think it quite a challenge to be proud of the city of Houston but I know that a lot of you are.

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be a grammar or spelling nazi; but I have always wondered just exactly does "lossed" mean? I have seen it numerous times on this board, but it must be some of that "new local" language that I have not figured out. :drunk:

tumblr_komboe44671qzhsn4o1_r1_400.jpg
rep from another Star Wars geek for quoting Yoda
:D

At the game, it wasn't even in question. Watching everything in real time, the play was dead.

If there was a question, you bet your arse, Schaub would have been running up to spike the ball.

That's the hindsight thing, and that's the beauty of being able to watch the game on T.V.

Kubiak's fault? If someone in the booth saw it, told Kubiak, and he decided not to run a play, yeah, then it would be his fault. We can blame him for putting incompetent people in the booth. Or, there wasn't a damn thing that could have been done, after we allowed the time to expire, and enter the two minute warning. Which is more evidence, that nobody at the time saw anything worth challenging. It's not like the red flag was thrown right away.

What??? Quit being a jackass. I thought you (tried) to make it a point that you don't go out of your way to be an ass........ Again, major serving of FAIL.

I would put the likes of Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson and certainly Jerrod Johnson over Kubaik's A&M career.

Dude, seriously - get over yourself. Your a pompous ass joke.

By making stupid assertion about me being myopic, just weakens your (already) weak ass arguments, that much worse....

Second Honeymoon equals multiple FAIL....

AND awesome, MB fodder for people that like to laugh at ignorance.

SH.....
dunce-emoticon.gif

Right at ya Sh, errrrr Woodlands Doug:

C9G5W9ovldCbOcf.jpg

:spit:

God I love Dave Campbell's Texas Football. (except for the fact that picture is v. UH)

Furthermore, from what little I've seen from Cal himself he seems very interested in the actually operations of the team. I'm very proud of being a Texan fan specifically because of Mr. McNair and Kubiak and his entire organization. On a level much bigger and way more important than your silly debates, these appear to be good men doing honest work and that alone is enough for me to root for them for many years to come.

Furthermore, from what little I've seen from Cal himself he seems very interested in the actually operations of the team. I'm very proud of being a Texan fan specifically because of Mr. McNair and Kubiak and his entire organization. On a level much bigger and way more important than your silly debates, these appear to be good men doing honest work and that alone is enough for me to root for them for many years to come.

Nice!! Repped!!!!!!

Thank you.

Being genuine is something that I feel very strongly about. Even to a fault. And I remember McClain talking about Gary one time on the radio and his tone shifted from wheezing doughnut voice to a very different tone and I remember that he said that without question Kubiak is the most genuine, ego-less coach he has ever seen in all his years covering sports.

Bob McNair built this brand spanking new facility and ... well, I'll save that story for Dale to tell but guys, there is so much to root for here. ON TOP OF THAT...WE'VE GOT A PRETTY DAMN GOOD TEAM TO CHEER FOR TOO!!!!

Thank you.

Being genuine is something that I feel very strongly about. Even to a fault. And I remember McClain talking about Gary one time on the radio and his tone shifted from wheezing doughnut voice to a very different tone and I remember that he said that without question Kubiak is the most genuine, ego-less coach he has ever seen in all his years covering sports.

Bob McNair built this brand spanking new facility and ... well, I'll save that story for Dale to tell but guys, there is so much to root for here. ON TOP OF THAT...WE'VE GOT A PRETTY DAMN GOOD TEAM TO CHEER FOR TOO!!!!

And I will add......... On the cusp of many years to come.

And I will add......... On the cusp of many years to come.

because you say so? why not have one good year before we start acting like we are a dynasty in a making. we have some pieces in place, but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

just one good year and if you think last year was a good year, you are fooling yourself

last year was lost opportunity after opportunity and bonehead move after bonehead move

lets just have one good year before we start the parades, Bill...

because you say so? why not have one good year before we start acting like we are a dynasty in a making. we have some pieces in place, but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

just one good year and if you think last year was a good year, you are fooling yourself

last year was lost opportunity after opportunity and bonehead move after bonehead move

I don't entirely disagree with you on lost opportunities, but here's the thing. You come across as someone who if say the Jets lost either of their last two games last year, we make the playoffs, beat Cincy (again), pull an upset in the divisional round and get to conference to lose to the Colts you would be here saying:

but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

Everyone gets it. The Texans UNDER achieved last year. They should have pounded teams. Now take a step back. Could you ever have said either of those things with HWWNBN as QB or Capers as coach? No you couldn't.

Football under Capers was a test of faith supporting a team with no logical reason to do so.

Football under Kubiak is a test of faith that a really good team will put the pieces (just not make bone headed mistakes) together and become a championship team.

I prefer watching a team who could beat anyone to watching a team who gets lucky to beat anyone. That's why I see improvement.

I know you dont like the coaching staff or the think the team is headed in the right direction, but why do you get upset with people who do?

I don't entirely disagree with you on lost opportunities, but here's the thing. You come across as someone who if say the Jets lost either of their last two games last year, we make the playoffs, beat Cincy (again), pull an upset in the divisional round and get to conference to lose to the Colts you would be here saying:

Everyone gets it. The Texans UNDER achieved last year. They should have pounded teams. Now take a step back. Could you ever have said either of those things with HWWNBN as QB or Capers as coach? No you couldn't.

Football under Capers was a test of faith supporting a team with no logical reason to do so.

Football under Kubiak is a test of faith that a really good team will put the pieces (just not make bone headed mistakes) together and become a championship team.

I prefer watching a team who could beat anyone to watching a team who gets lucky to beat anyone. That's why I see improvement.

I think that there is a little piece of SECOND HONEYMOON and CAK in all of us fans. Sort of an inner struggle to maintain a balance of hope with reality.

I think that there is a little piece of SECOND HONEYMOON and CAK in all of us fans. Sort of an inner struggle to maintain a balance of hope with reality.

This

I dont care who McNair hires to run the organization.

I dont care if there are players who are chior boys or axe murders on the team.

It's time that the Texans make the playoffs and start playing championship quality football.

Enough with the excuses. SH doesn't understand how a team that obivously underachieved last year HC get a contract extention.

The answer to that is McNair likes Kubes. He thinks Kubes can be a SB winning coach.

You and I disagree with McNair and think he's selling the great Texan fans a bill of goods. It's clear to you and I what's going on. But there's a segment of great fans who are very loyal to the team who are blind to the business aspect of this organization.

Bottom line with this contract extention McNair is saying this is my business. I'm going to do what I want with it (Make cash). If you dont like it you can root for another team.

That's just the way it is.

If you bought your stocks like you're judging this team, you would be buying high, and selling low.

This

I dont care who McNair hires to run the organization.

I dont care if there are players who are chior boys or axe murders on the team.

How? Please explain this to me. Why do you spend hours upon hours talking and thinking about the team but not invest any intrest in the organization how it's run etc.?

Do you only invest intrest in the guys running around on the field? If so, why?

Very true. All of us should be a little bit Pink Soaper and a little bit Sunshine Clubber.

now come up with an avatar for that combo! LOL

How? Please explain this to me. Why do you spend hours upon hours talking and thinking about the team but not invest any intrest in the organization how it's run etc.?

Do you only invest intrest in the guys running around on the field? If so, why?

Yes because Professioal football is entertainment.

I dont care about what entertainers in other professions do in their personal lives either. Football players are no different. IMHO

I only care say if I go to a concert that the performer puts on a great show.

Same thing with the Texans and the NFL. I only care about the results on the field. (W-L's) If players off field conduct affects the on field product then said player needs to be traded/cut.

Obviuosly McNair/Barrett dont see it like this and you are entitled to your opinion.

But for me it's all about W-L's

So far the McNair organization has failed miserably in this respect. (W-L's) Hopefully this changes but I question if the Texans are truly commiteed to putting the best team on the field as possible. They seem to only want to aquire players through the draft/FA that fit a certian criteria.

We'll see if they can win with these type of players and this type of criteria.

I dont care about what entertainers in other professions do in their personal lives either. Football players are no different. IMHO

Same thing with the Texans and the NFL. I only care about the results on the field. (W-L's) If players off field conduct affects the on field product then said player needs to be traded/cut.

Obviuosly McNair/Barrett dont see it like this and you are entitled to your opinion.

So far the McNair organization has failed miserably in this respect. (W-L's) Hopefully this changes but I question if the Texans are truly commiteed to putting the best team on the field as possible. They seem to only want to aquire players through the draft/FA that fit a certian criteria.

I'm having trouble with something. If this is only "entertainment" then why do you care if we win or not?

For example, I can watch a fight and not really care which guy wins as long as it's a good fight. If they just push each other around the ring and not mix it up, then I'm changing the station to something else. If they go toe to toe for 12 rounds with the winner in doubt until the last round, then that's entertainment and I'll watch until the end. But I still don't care who wins.

I can't watch a Texans' game with that kind of detachment. I'm betting you can't either. So it's not "just entertainment".

When watching something like boxing, unless one fighter is a home boy and you're rooting for him, you can enjoy a good fight for fight's sake (if you're into that). A Texans' fan watching their team , has a dog in the fight........you want a win...........every game...........regardless of.......

It's harder to walk away from a loss and feel justified that you've been "entertained."

You don't need to question any more. The answer is no. They are not committed to putting the best team on the field as possible. The Texans have made a conscious decision to put the best team on the field that they can so long as it's done with genuine integrity and honest hard work. They have chosen to try to be a successful organization on and off the field. I think that's admirable at worst. Have they been successful as a football team? No. Not yet. But it means more to me that they are trying to do it with integrity (and making progress) than to do it at any costs.

It doesn't to you.

Same thing with the Texans and the NFL. I only care about the results on the field. (W-L's)
If players off field conduct affects the on field product then said player needs to be traded/cut.

Then why are you a fan?

I go to games with Barrett and watch many of the away games on TV. We have an absolute blast. It's definitely entertaining to us! We are entertained talking about them in the off-season also. The team brings joy to us.

You and SH, however, don't seem to enjoy the entertainment at all. Using your concert analogy, why do you continue to spend your time and money to see the Jonas Brothers in concert?

The Cowboys are calling your name. You should change your name to "royalbcowboy".

When watching something like boxing, unless one fighter is a home boy and you're rooting for him, you can enjoy a good fight for fight's sake (if you're into that). A Texans' fan watching their team , has a dog in the fight........you want a win...........every game...........regardless of.......

It's harder to walk away from a loss and feel justified that you've been "entertained."

Thank you.
You validated the point I was attempting to make.
If you're a fan of any given team, then "you have a dog in the fight". If you wear the jersey of a given team it's because you are not ashamed to be associated with what they represent - on field and off.
As such, to call on the boxing example one more time, if the owner trots out 22 Mike Tyson-like, "Immo eat your children", mental cases or 22 Pac-Man "make it rain" Joneses all because he wants to win no matter what, I'd bet a lot of us would find another team to cheer for.
I would.

So yeah. I believe the total package matters. ...if you're a fan.

then again, maybe it's just me.

Seasons past does not matter all it takes is one bad season for any H.C. to be fired not just Gary. Every coach is on a one year limit in the the sports world. A new contract means jack if you do not prove you are worth keeping from year to year. The F.O. may let you go tomorrow if their taste for you all of a sudden grows old and sour and that is the bottom line. I want to see improvment from last season. If not, all options would be on the table but there is a reason we are just fans and not making the calls for our beloved team. So I suspect improvment had better be shown or a change might happen and I am willing to bet when everything is said and done if you love Gary or hate him at the end of the day if he stays or goes life will go on and our support of the Texans is always going to shine. You do have to admit though he has allowed the Texans to progress much further along JMO.

Thank you.
You validated the point I was attempting to make.
If you're a fan of any given team, then "you have a dog in the fight". If you wear the jersey of a given team it's because you are not ashamed to be associated with what they represent - on field and off.
As such, to call on the boxing example one more time, if the owner trots out 22 Mike Tyson-like, "Immo eat your children", mental cases or 22 Pac-Man "make it rain" Joneses all because he wants to win no matter what, I'd bet a lot of us would find another team to cheer for.
I would.

So yeah. I believe the total package matters. ...if you're a fan.

then again, maybe it's just me.

LMAO!!!

BTW, to correct the quote:

"I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"

:lol:

You don't need to question any more. The answer is no. They are not committed to putting the best team on the field as possible. The Texans have made a conscious decision to put the best team on the field that they can so long as it's done with genuine integrity and honest hard work. They have chosen to try to be a successful organization on and off the field. I think that's admirable at worst. Have they been successful as a football team? No. Not yet. But it means more to me that they are trying to do it with integrity (and making progress) than to do it at any costs.

It doesn't to you.

I respect your way of thinking on this matter. So far the Texans organization has counted on fans like you to make millions and will continue to do so. There's nothing wrong with this as long as you're content with just having a good time at the game. Some fans expect more than this. Fortunately for McNair we're in the minority.

The Texans have the perfect organization that you described as being important to you. They've forgotten one important element. The product that has been put on the field. Where we disagree is I dont think the Texans can win big with this polyanic view towards players/coaching staff. You think they can.

Believe me when I say I hope you're right and I'm wrong. The games will be alot more fun if you're right. But what if you're wrong? How long will it be before you start demanding a winner? 5-10 more yrs? Never? Just asking.

You're right it doesn't matter to me only the W-L's

Then why are you a fan?

I go to games with Barrett and watch many of the away games on TV. We have an absolute blast. It's definitely entertaining to us! We are entertained talking about them in the off-season also. The team brings joy to us.

You and SH, however, don't seem to enjoy the entertainment at all. Using your concert analogy, why do you continue to spend your time and money to see the Jonas Brothers in concert?

Because I'm a Houstonian.

I try to support all things Houston and Texas.

What? I fail to understand your logic.

I disagree with the way the Texans are run and I'm a Royal Cowboy fan?

HUH

LOL

By the same token people disagree with your opinion of how the Texans are run... That's not to suggest that many of us don't recognize that mistakes were made.

OTOH, many of us believe they are now on the right path, now. Will be it be Kubes & Rick Smith that gets us there (to the Promised Land)? Who knows? However to not recognize the direction the Texans are heading, is foolhardy to say the least.

Back