Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Leigh Bodden to visit Houston-Re-Signs with Pats for 28.5 million /5 years 10 guar.

I expect greatness from this team.

Really?

Well whose fault is that? :fingergun:

I think I see your problem. You have expectations. If you lowered them, or just got rid of them altogether, then you'd never be disappointed by this franchise's product. Because, let's face it, 8 years and counting of mediocre results should not be the foundation by which great expectations (or is that expectations of greatness...) are based. :shades:

A lot of people are overreacting to the fact that were not doing anything. I'm happy were not overspending for someone like Leigh. I mean, we would have had to offer more than New England did which would be $6+ mil a year, and I don't think he's worth that. This is a very deep draft and I think that is way more important than the week free agency class. Remember the Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and did absolutely nothing in free agency and went on to make the playoffs last year and looked really good. The reason: the year before they just lost a lot of close games...sounds a lot like us huh? I'm not worried I doubt we miss the playoffs with the team we have.

Really?

I think I see your problem. You have expectations. If you lowered them, or just got rid of them altogether, then you'd never be disappointed by this franchise's product. Because, let's face it, 8 years and counting of mediocre results should not be the foundation by which great expectations (or is that expectations of greatness...) are based. :shades:

Signed Saints fan.

Really?

We are the new Saints/Cards/Bucs of the NFL except without the SB creds.

We are not going to get anyone of any real value to sign here anyway. Not with us not paying our own super stars. What kind of message does that send to our own players if we go off and spend big money in the FA market.

Browns fans know our pain. Bu at least our playoff failure doesnt have a label on it like "The Drive."

Our offer wasnt even good enough to force NE to match. So we were obviously low balling him. Otherwise he would have signed, and NE would have the OPTION to match. But we didnt even get that far.

Really and you know this how? Bodden was UFA. Didn't matter what the Texans offered it was totally up to Bodden on whether to let New England match or up the ante.

We are the new Saints/Cards/Bucs of the NFL except without the SB creds.

We are not going to get anyone of any real value to sign here anyway. Not with us not paying our own super stars. What kind of message does that send to our own players if we go off and spend big money in the FA market.

Browns fans know our pain. Bu at least our playoff failure doesnt have a label on it like "The Drive."

yep, we are that team in the NFL until proven otherwise. Often, perception is reality, but in our case, reality is reality.

Oh yeah, 'cept for 9-7 and losing 6 out 7 games by less than a touchdown, because, as we all know, those things count!...at least in our heads...which reminds me, needs be checked. ;)

Really and you know this how? Bodden was UFA. Didn't matter what the Texans offered it was totally up to Bodden on whether to let New England match or up the ante.

The players' free will is always at issue, but we will still see "the texans should sign or why didn't the Texans sign or they should just kept offering utnil he signed post"

yep, we are that team in the NFL until proven otherwise. Often, perception is reality, but in our case, reality is reality.

Oh yeah, 'cept for 9-7 and losing 6 out 7 games by less than a touchdown, because, as we all know, those things count!...at least in our heads...which reminds me, needs be checked. ;)

A radio host in Dallas a few weeks back called us the "picture of mediocirty" and some version the most "non-descript team" in the NFL. I wanted to call in rag on him, but he spoke the truth of our league wide perception.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

OMFG.

Can you believe we let Deon Sanders get away? I mean he was right her.. huh?
<someone whispering>
That wasn't Neon Deon?
<pspspspspssssps>
You sure? Oh.. Champ B.. No? Jerry Gray??? No?
<whisper whisper psst psst>
Leigh who? Bodden? Why this is the best free agent class...
<whisper whisper>
No its not THAT Bad is it?
<nod nod>
Um.. THAT bad?
<whisper whisper>
You mean outrageous contracts for average players who make a crap-load of money are going to be a problem whenever a salary cap gets reinstated? But Bob Mcnair needs to...
<whisper whisper>
Of course its not my money... but I pay for ticke...
<whipser whisper>
Well yes I get a seat at a stadium... one of the best in the country... that doesn't mean that I...
<whisper whisper>
Why no, I've never been told there wouldn't be a game.. well other than Ike...
<whisper whisper>
I most certainly will NOT shut up... I'm a FAN... I have a fanboard... I will whine and ***** and moan about it ALL EFFING DAY... DO YOU HEAR ME??? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M A FAN DAMMIT!!!...

Mike

that is a lot of effort for nothing but hope you feel better. i hope you weren't going for laughs.

but yeah, he isn't Deion Sanders so he couldn't help our team. Let's just stand pat. Everything is fine.

Signed,
2-14 season

A lot of people are overreacting to the fact that were not doing anything. I'm happy were not overspending for someone like Leigh. I mean, we would have had to offer more than New England did which would be $6+ mil a year, and I don't think he's worth that. This is a very deep draft and I think that is way more important than the week free agency class. Remember the Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and did absolutely nothing in free agency and went on to make the playoffs last year and looked really good. The reason: the year before they just lost a lot of close games...sounds a lot like us huh? I'm not worried I doubt we miss the playoffs with the team we have.

we also won a lot of close games. what is your point?

Signed Saints fan.

Saints went out and addressed weaknesses in FA, trades, and draft and improved their coaching.

Voila, Super Bowl.

without Vilma and Sharper and Shockey and the money it took to pay them the market value, the Saints are not Champions. But keep making excuses, par for the course round here.

I can't wait for next years excuses.....

Can somebody explain to me how McNair does not open up his wallet when the Texans are routinly at our near the salary cap each year? As for going nuts this year, who besides the Bears (whose FO are all in fear of losing their jobs) is spending big time money?

So the Texans FO and coaching shouldnt be worried about losing their jobs if they have a 5th straight non-playoff season? But I guess you are right. If we go another season under .500 or missing the playoffs McNair will just give Rick Smith and the coaches another contract extension! Keep the party going!

Oh, and PS. Ticket prices will go up again.

Asked and answered! :mcnugget:

bob_drayton-2.gif

Just kidding, I had a feeling all along that Bodden wasn't going to sign here. It was all about the money, thats just the nature of the business.

Saints went out and addressed weaknesses in FA, trades, and draft and improved their coaching.

Voila, Super Bowl.

without Vilma and Sharper and Shockey and the money it took to pay them the market value, the Saints are not Champions. But keep making excuses, par for the course round here.

OK. How would you address ANY free agents in this offseaon? I mean any? Is there a Vilma? Sharper? Shockey? Why don't we go give Bodden 10mil a year? Would you have been happier? Bodden AIN'T ALL THAT.

Mike

Voila, Super Bowl.

Shockey was a trade. two seasons earlier.
Vilma was a 2008 FA
only Sharper was a 2009 FA.

Compare that to the Texans:
Pollard = 2009 FA
A. Smith = 2009 FA
S. Cody = 2009 FA
Reeves = 2008 FA
E. Wilson = 2008 FA

(that's 5 starters on defense in the past 12 1/2 months)... not to mention these draft picks last season: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain... that makes 9 heavy contributers on defense that have been added since last March.

... we are a few days into the 2010 calendar year. And, you are already on a rampage. Besides that, you are make a ridiculous comparison without any consideration for accuracy.

OK. How would you address ANY free agents in this offseaon? I mean any? Is there a Vilma? Sharper? Shockey? Why don't we go give Bodden 10mil a year? Would you have been happier? Bodden AIN'T ALL THAT.

Mike

please. do the math, please. Bodden was $10 million guaranteed, not 10million per....geez.

do we have to make up numbers now? i have a number. ZERO. as in number of playoff appearances.

thanks for trying

he got paid 1/2 of what Dunta got paid, so it wasn't an insane deal. but the patriots paid it so I guess it was a bad deal. they are infamous for overpaying, huh?

next

Something I found

Link
Leigh Bodden might not be on the field with the Detroit Lions' starting defense when the Browns visit Ford Field on Saturday.
The former Browns cornerback, who was included in the trade for Shaun Rogers on March 1, is listed as a backup on the Lions' depth chart. The starters are Brian Kelly and Travis Fisher, though Bodden has worked with the first team on occasion.

"I'm not complaining," Bodden said in a phone interview. "It's been a good camp. I've been picking up the defensive system. Guys are treating me good."

Management treated Bodden well, too. He signed a four-year contract extension last month for a reported $27 million. The deal includes an $8.6 million option bonus in March -- a possible bailout for the Lions if they don't like what they see.

Thus, Bodden knows he's on a one-year trial.

"But it can work in either's favor," he said. "It was the best-case scenario for me, something I could live with. I'm either going to get the big payday or be a free agent. Plus, it gave me $1 million more than I was supposed to make this year."

Bodden admitted that his parting from the Browns stemmed from his desire to seek a new contract. He had discussions with General Manager Phil Savage soon after the 2007 season ended.

"I stated my case that I felt I should be paid more than what I was getting," he said. "Phil said, 'Can you play one more year with it?' And I didn't think I could. From that conversation, I figured I'd be traded."

Bodden said he "would have loved to be a part" of a playoff season in Cleveland, where he played for five years. "But at the end of the day, it's a business. It was a good five years. I met a lot of great people. Not too many players stick around with one team forever."

He said while the Browns may have some issues in the defensive backfield, he believes Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald will acquit themselves well as starters.

"Those two young guys are really talented," Bodden said. "Definitely, they can handle it and make a lot of plays. They won't be hurting with those two guys."

Bodden said he would have fun playing live against his former offensive teammates. He's disappointed receiver Braylon Edwards (cut foot) won't be active for the game.

"There's a lot of talented guys over there," Bodden said. "They're definitely on the verge."

Link
He's making $1 million more this year with the Lions than if he would have stayed in Cleveland. But he wanted to play for money instead of being apart of a winner with the Browns for another season.

Might give you an insight into the type of guy Leigh is, a little Duntaesque

ok its Smith's fault. McNair is willing to spend the $$ but Rick just won't let him.

and if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona you might like.
I think there is some truth to both. I think the whole "McNair won't spend money" idea has turned into the exact same arguement of "Kubiak won't pick RB or OL early in the draft" rumor.

I think McNair doesn't want to spend stupid money (ala Dunta Robinson contract) but I do think he gives Kubiak & Smith considerable leeway in running this team. People used to be so up in arms at how he let Casserly do whatever he pleased but now have teetered so far on the other side that he won't let Kubiak or Smith build this team with who they want? I believe McNair has hired people that he now trusts in running/building this team into a championship calibre organization and I doubt he's hampering them by not allowing them to get key players in this organization.

I think another side to the coin is the Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get comperable players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

please. do the math, please. Bodden was $10 million guaranteed, not 10million per....geez.

do we have to make up numbers now? i have a number. ZERO. as in number of playoff appearances.

thanks for trying

he got paid 1/2 of what Dunta got paid, so it wasn't an insane deal. but the patriots paid it so I guess it was a bad deal. they are infamous for overpaying, huh?

next

Mike isn't saying that Bodden was signed for $10 million a year... he's asserting that it may have taken an irresponsible amount of money in order to get him in Houston.

Shockey was a trade. two seasons earlier.
Vilma was a 2008 FA
only Sharper was a 2009 FA.

Compare that to the Texans:
Pollard = 2009 FA
A. Smith = 2009 FA
S. Cody = 2009 FA
Reeves = 2008 FA
E. Wilson = 2008 FA

(that's 5 starters on defense in the past 12 1/2 months)... not to mention these draft picks last season: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain... that makes 9 heavy contributers on defense that have been added since last March.

... we are a few days into the 2010 calendar year. And, you are already on a rampage. Besides that, you are make a ridiculous comparison without any consideration for accuracy.

its called a trend, DM. The Saints improved their team and they did it by spending money. Pollard was cheap. Cody was cheap. Wilson was cheap. Only Smith and Reeves got decent contracts whereas Vilma, Sharper, and Shockey all got paid good money.

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players. from your FA list only Pollard approached Pro Bowl level.

you get what you pay for....not like that is a news flash or anything.

Quin and McCain? if they were so good, why is DB an area of need? because we wanted to save money and McNair felt like 1/2 a billion wasn't enough return on his investment.

Something I found

Link

Link

Might give you an insight into the type of guy Leigh is, a little Duntaesque

so is that also Owen Daniels-esque? keep the same intensity come TC time when OD is MIA.

but he will get a pass. geez, we have people even clamoring for him to be re-signed after a major knee injury

different rules for different players..nothing new.

I think there is some truth to both. I think the whole "McNair won't spend money" idea has turned into the exact same arguement of "Kubiak won't pick RB or OL early in the draft" rumor.

I think McNair doesn't want to spend stupid money (ala Dunta Robinson contract) but I do think he gives Kubiak & Smith considerable leeway in running this team. People used to be so up in arms at how he let Casserly do whatever he pleased but now have teetered so far on the other side that he won't let Kubiak or Smith build this team with who they want? I believe McNair has hired people that he now trusts in running/building this team into a championship calibre organization and I doubt he's hampering them by not allowing them to get key players in this organization.

I think another side to the coin is the Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get comperable players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

yeah that is the Rick Smith way and its been so fruitful so far...oh wait, nevermind.

its called a trend, DM. The Saints improved their team and they did it by spending money. Pollard was cheap. Cody was cheap. Wilson was cheap. Only Smith and Reeves got decent contracts whereas Vilma, Sharper, and Shockey all got paid good money.

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players. from your FA list only Pollard approached Pro Bowl level.

Quin and McCain? if they were so good, why is DB an area of need? because we wanted to save money and McNair felt like 1/2 a billion wasn't enough return on his investment.

Sharper was cheap. Look at Wilson's contract. He's getting paid decent money, so will Pollard... not to mention Demeco, OD. If I'm wrong, we'll lose them and I'll be right with you screaming about it and probably giving up my season tickets...

However: Matt Schaub, A. Johnson, Mario, Winston, K. Walter, Chester Pitts have all been given very healthy second contracts. Heck, part of the problem with the organization is the huge dollars it threw at people like: Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Gary Walker, Seth Payne.

Vilma = DeMeco (needs a long-term deal) *2nd Round Pick
Sharper = Pollard (needs a long-term deal)
Shockey = OD (needs a long-term deal) *4th Round Pick

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players, we need to sign these guys too, not just a bunch of FAs. We also have a trend of drafting badass players.

Peter King said it best in MMQB "Free Agency is overrated"

Sharper was cheap. Look at Wilson's contract. He's getting paid decent money, so will Pollard... not to mention Demeco, OD. If I'm wrong, we'll lose them and I'll be right with you screaming about it and probably giving up my season tickets...

However: Matt Schaub, A. Johnson, Mario, Winston, K. Walter, Chester Pitts have all been given very healthy second contracts. Heck, part of the problem with the organization is the huge dollars it threw at people like: Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Gary Walker, Seth Payne.

i get what you are saying, DM. we will keep DeMeco but I think we let OD walk.

yeah the previous regime overpaid but we were expansion team with Carr as a starter and no real upside. we had to pay the 'expansion premium'. maybe players still view us that way...i surely don't but my opinion means nothing to these guys.

I think Mario is still on his original deal fwiw. when its time to pay him, i may just let him walk. he is going to want much more than Peppers got and if the market 'bears' it (no pun intended) he is worth it.

hopefully they institute some rules where FA losses are more adequately rewarded with extra draft picks and maybe where a FA signing means you sacrifice a draft pick(s). That would make the league more like the good ole days when you really did build a team through the draft.

Holovak sure put some nice rosters together...too bad they didn't win the big ones.

Antonio Smith
Eugene Wilson
Kevin Walter (RFA)
V. Leach
J. Reeves
in addition to Pollard

I realize that list isn't sexy. But, it's going to look pretty good if those are 5 of 22 starters who win 11-12 games and make a run in the playoffs. In addition to A. Smith, I think we were aggressive in getting Kevin Walter, J.Reeves... I'm not sure about the rest of the list.

See a Pro Bowler in there? How about a truly outstanding starter?

I don't and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As you pointed out these guys could be starters on a 11-12 win team and none of them are really big name free agents that individually change your team. The big splash free agent doesn't come here, has never come here, and probably will never be a feature of our off season. Those guys don't come here (except from time to time to use us as leverage ala Orlando Pace) and for good or ill we seem dedicated to the proposition of trying to find our own stars in the draft. We find our depth and our lunchpail guys in free agency. We sometimes try to fill a dire need there too.

So we didn't get Leigh Bodden. No big deal, we'll get by.

ok its Smith's fault. McNair is willing to spend the $$ but Rick just won't let him.

and if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona you might like.

I think there is some truth to both.

I think another side to the coin is [that] Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get [compareable] players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

yeah that is the Rick Smith way and its been so fruitful so far...oh wait, nevermind.
Whether it's been fruitful so far or not is a whole different arguement.

I was trying explain that I think there's a lot of displaced anger directed at McNair for not wanting to spend his money when I think Rick Smith is actually more responsible for that.

Then you agree with me that this is the way Smith operates after trying to sell me some real estate... :nolisten:
I'm not interested in Arizona but if you've got beach front property in Colorado I'll listen!! :)

I don't and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As you pointed out these guys could be starters on a 11-12 win team and none of them are really big name free agents that individually change your team. The big splash free agent doesn't come here, has never come here, and probably will never be a feature of our off season. Those guys don't come here (except from time to time to use us as leverage ala Orlando Pace) and for good or ill we seem dedicated to the proposition of trying to find our own stars in the draft. We find our depth and our lunchpail guys in free agency. We sometimes try to fill a dire need there too.

On paper, the Texans have a tougher schedule this upcoming season than they did in '09. Our secondary wasn't exactly stellar, and our "best" CB was coming off a major injury.

Fast-forward to 2010 - The Texans lose their only true starter at CB in FA. The Texans failed to replace him with the next highest rated CB. The announced $$ for said replacement was almost HALF what the departed CB got in HIS contract. The Texans have no other STARTER-quality CB on the roster. Where do they get one? In the crapshoot called the draft? The Texans had a chance to get a legit starter and failed in an uncapped year at position of DIRE need.

Was Leigh Bodden the "answer"? Maybe not, but the Texans are still completely WITHOUT a CB who would be starting anywhere else.

There were good RB prospects to be had as well, but the Texans haven't filled that need either.

Unless the Texans find ways to vastly improve the Secondary, RB and O-Line, then be prepared to see the Texans have a worse record than '09.

Remember, it DIDN'T have to be this way, but the Texans FO decided that standing pat (again) was the right thing to do.

why is anyone surprised? Kraft wants to win SBs and McNair re-signs his .500 coach who had a year left on his deal after a 9-7 season and no playoffs.

did anyone think Kraft was going to get played by McNair? I had hope that Bob would pony the $$ up but its painfully obvious $$ > Wins to McNair.

we shave $10-$12 million off our payroll with the release of Dunta and we can't even guarantee the same amount to his replacement over a multi-year period. are players supposed to come here for free or because of our tradition of winning?

The fact that Bodden got his contract means he is worth his contract. He is just worth more to teams that aren't afraid to spend a little dough to improve their team.

this offseason the McNair v. Kraft scoreboard head-to-head is
Kraft 2
McNair 0

i know a lot of you are happy with the team's direction and ownership, but i just can't see a commitment to improving and i can't see a commitment to making playoffs much less a championship. just my opinion but its based on history and results...not speculation and good wishes.

ot- on the way to work some guy had his truck Texans-tricked out and he had a 9-7 on the back of his window under the logo. the 9 and 7 had horns on them so they looked official...i hope that we aren't selling 9-7 decals.

That little section is what stands out to me.

We didn't bring back Dunta. So who plays his spot? It looked as if Bodden was going to be that guy.

Bodden would have been cheaper than what the Falcons just paid Dunta. But I guess McNair or Smithiak, or both, decided that even HALF of Dunta's new contract was not a fair price for the guy who is replacing him.

We paid Dunta 10 mill for his final year here. Bodden is getting around 6 mill a year. We felt like paying Dunta 10 mill for his last year here, but didn't bring him back.

I keep trying to wrap my head around the mathematical reasoning skills of the Texans as it relates to the two CBs who were potentially slotted to make our team as the starter at one of the CB positions.

Maybe if we had paid him $7 mill-per-season he dumps the Pats for us?

All I can do is sit here and wonder how this team is going to be playoff-contending in 2010. This seemed like a good way to spend less than we spent on Dunta, and lock down that position.

I've gone from being pissed off at this team to just seriously laughing at the methodology that's being displayed.

(sigh) Like sands through the hourglass....so are the days...of our lives...

On paper, the Texans have a tougher schedule this upcoming season than they did in '09. Our secondary wasn't exactly stellar, and our "best" CB was coming off a major injury.

Fast-forward to 2010 - The Texans lose their only true starter at CB in FA. The Texans failed to replace him with the next highest rated CB. The announced $$ for said replacement was almost HALF what the departed CB got in HIS contract. The Texans have no other STARTER-quality CB on the roster. Where do they get one? In the crapshoot called the draft? The Texans had a chance to get a legit starter and failed in an uncapped year at position of DIRE need.

Was Leigh Bodden the "answer"? Maybe not, but the Texans are still completely WITHOUT a CB who would be starting anywhere else.

There were good RB prospects to be had as well, but the Texans haven't filled that need either.

Unless the Texans find ways to vastly improve the Secondary, RB and O-Line, then be prepared to see the Texans have a worse record than '09.

Remember, it DIDN'T have to be this way, but the Texans FO decided that standing pat (again) was the right thing to do.

Yep, this pretty much explains it. The Chiefs just got Thomas Jones on the cheap as well. That would have been a really sweet deal for the Texans, but NOPE. We are anti free agency and this team is cheap. It is what it is, and I don't see how these holes will be filled on this team going into next season honestly. LIke you said, the schedule will be much tougher this year as well. You can't expect to win anything or to be a consistent winner in this league by strictly building through the draft. That doesn't cut it. I was ticked as hell last off season when we didn't even as much give a sniff to Sharper or Dawkins when we had a chance. This off season I just expected us to do nothing.

TO be honest, I've never been all that high on Bodden. He's a pretty good player, but like you say, we NEED A CB. Our secondary was terrible last season other than Pollard, and now our CB situation looks worse than last season. I don't think we really had a choice but to get Bodden honestly. This team needs a good veteran in there and quality depth as well. We don't have that great of a pass rush, so I just don't understand how they think that this secondary is going to survive. Even if we get a pretty good player in the first and second round for the secondary, they're still going to be really really young. This team needs some quality vets in there.

:rolleyes: can we please let the offseason unfold before we all schedule a jump date off the Fred Hartman bridge. Last year we didn't have a strong safety either....fast forward and we filled that need, there's still plenty of ways to fill needs on this team that doesn't require OVER SPENDING FOR SUB PAR TALENT! Teams are going to cut players, there will be a whole other slue of FAs to pick from. I'm LOLing at all these people crying their eyes out right now, they've been doing it since the FA period was only a couple of hours old.

And can we please stop saying "the crapshoot called the draft" while acting like FA isn't a crapshoot in itself. Something tells me Atlanta is going to be highly disappointed with their 60 million dollar man.

We're talking about Leigh freaking Bodden here.....not Nnamdi Asomugha. I don't know if anyone has noticed or not, but the Pats weren't hot **** vs the pass. They gave up only 8 yards per game less than we did while also giving up 25 freaking passing TDs....which is alot more than what we did.

The year before that, Bodden was a key starter for the Lions......what the hell did they do. They went 0-16 and had one of the worst defenses/pass defenses in the entire league. This guy doesn't elevate a defense. He's just another decent starter....they will be plenty of opportunities to acquire other decent starters, but lets all cry about the one who got away.

I don't agree with Jerome Soloman very often, but he had a article in the paper today that was pretty spot on regarding this topic. It basically said "quit bitching" Leigh Bodden is not a player to cry over and there will be plenty of opportunities to fill that hole from now until next season.

Honestly I'd rather spend that FA cash on resigning some of our own players, players that are better than Leigh Bodden and better than most players available in this FA class.

Yep, this pretty much explains it. The Chiefs just got Thomas Jones on the cheap as well. That would have been a really sweet deal for the Texans, but NOPE. We are anti free agency and this team is cheap. It is what it is, and I don't see how these holes will be filled on this team going into next season honestly. LIke you said, the schedule will be much tougher this year as well. You can't expect to win anything or to be a consistent winner in this league by strictly building through the draft. That doesn't cut it. I was ticked as hell last off season when we didn't even as much give a sniff to Sharper or Dawkins when we had a chance. This off season I just expected us to do nothing.

TO be honest, I've never been all that high on Bodden. He's a pretty good player, but like you say, we NEED A CB. Our secondary was terrible last season other than Pollard, and now our CB situation looks worse than last season. I don't think we really had a choice but to get Bodden honestly. This team needs a good veteran in there and quality depth as well. We don't have that great of a pass rush, so I just don't understand how they think that this secondary is going to survive. Even if we get a pretty good player in the first and second round for the secondary, they're still going to be really really young. This team needs some quality vets in there.

Doesn't even appear that we tried to get Jones, nor are on Fargas' list.

So we are left to assume that the only possible way we address RB is to draft one (we know how early, err..ummm...late we draft 'em), or grab an UDFA, or wait and vulture someone else's training camp cut(s).

I could have been OK with losing one for the other, but we got neither. In fact, we're not interested in any of the free agent RBs that are out there. We targeted Bodden, and couldn't seal the deal.

Same thing with Cedric Benson. Couldn't seal the deal.

There's been some weak sauce from McNair and Kubiak since they grabbed Schaub and then subsequently bombed out on the Ahman Green experiment. Antonio Smith is their only recent free agency claim-to-fame, and it's not like he's exactly destroying other teams' offensive lines and/or QBs. I don't count Pollard as a true success story for Smithiak. Had it not been for David Gibbs, we don't even give Pollard a sniff IMO. That acquisition is on David Gibbs' score sheet.

I think this owner, and its front office, and its head coach are scared to make moves. Timidity and caution are ruling this team's psyche. And it filters down to the field, IMO. Nobody wants to see us go really crazy like Daniel Snyder does. But we're almost the polar opposite of it.

This feels like the two guys in the movie Office Space, who come in and interview people, trying to figure out who to terminate. They are the two ass hats who need to be terminated, but there they are: Acting like they are the casting directors for a Broadway musical. Yucking it up, high-fiving each other, and then suddenly turning serious when they ask someone a question that's just absurd.

This team and it's methods are killing me. It's obvious that there IS a level or a tier system of free agents. You had the higher-profile guys getting deals first (Peppers, Boldin, Chester Taylor, etc.) As time goes by, the group gets weaker. It's the nature of the beast.

And therefore we'll be targeting what I consider to be the lesser-talented of the free agents. Because that's in the financial wheelhouse of this team's style.

Doesn't even appear that we tried to get Jones, nor are on Fargas' list.

So we are left to assume that the only possible way we address RB is to draft one (we know how early, err..ummm...late we draft 'em), or grab an UDFA, or wait and vulture someone else's training camp cut(s).

I could have been OK with losing one for the other, but we got neither. In fact, we're not interested in any of the free agent RBs that are out there. We targeted Bodden, and couldn't seal the deal.

Same thing with Cedric Benson. Couldn't seal the deal.

There's been some weak sauce from McNair and Kubiak since they grabbed Schaub and then subsequently bombed out on the Ahman Green experiment. Antonio Smith is their only recent free agency claim-to-fame, and it's not like he's exactly destroying other teams' offensive lines and/or QBs. I don't count Pollard as a true success story for Smithiak. Had it not been for David Gibbs, we don't even give Pollard a sniff IMO. That acquisition is on David Gibbs' score sheet.

I think this owner, and its front office, and its head coach are scared to make moves. Timidity and caution are ruling this team's psyche. And it filters down to the field, IMO. Nobody wants to see us go really crazy like Daniel Snyder does. But we're almost the polar opposite of it.

This feels like the two guys in the movie Office Space, who come in and interview people, trying to figure out who to terminate. They are the two ass hats who need to be terminated, but there they are: Acting like they are the casting directors for a Broadway musical. Yucking it up, high-fiving each other, and then suddenly turning serious when they ask someone a question that's just absurd.

This team and it's methods are killing me. It's obvious that there IS a level or a tier system of free agents. You had the higher-profile guys getting deals first (Peppers, Boldin, Chester Taylor, etc.) As time goes by, the group gets weaker. It's the nature of the beast.

And therefore we'll be targeting what I consider to be the lesser-talented of the free agents. Because that's in the financial wheelhouse of this team's style.

I'm not going to lie, the inability to even bring in some RBs does have me pretty heated. Losing Bodden though.....does not. We should've been all over some of these RBs though. It's almost like we're letting our past failures dictate what we do in the present. We're becoming gun shy in the RB department.

Rotoworld has Bodden signing a 4 year 22 mil deal with NE.

Bodden's new deal with the Patriots is for four years at $22 million with $10 million guaranteed, according to the Boston Herald and ESPN's Adam Schefter.
On the surface, Bodden's deal identical to the one signed by Jabari Greer last season, with the same guaranteed money and four-year total. The Pats succeeded in securing the second-best corner on the market. They've spent big this offseason to retain their own veterans, though they've yet to make improvements to the roster
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2614

Mike isn't saying that Bodden was signed for $10 million a year... he's asserting that it may have taken an irresponsible amount of money in order to get him in Houston.

You sir are an idio--- wait wait wait... you didn't read the WHOLE sentence did you? You didn't take that in context did you? How sneaky..

You are correct sir. Well done.

Mike

I'm not going to lie, the inability to even bring in some RBs does have me pretty heated. Losing Bodden though.....does not. We should've been all over some of these RBs though. It's almost like we're letting our past failures dictate what we do in the present. We're becoming gun shy in the RB department.

I have a feeling that we are gonna end up with Ryan matthews, Dwyer or Gerhart in the draft. That is why I don't think they are signing any RB's.

Personally I'm not worried about the lack of FA signings. In all of pro sports these days the players seem to be contributing at a younger age, only a year or two out of the draft. Drafting is the key to building winning franchises, not signing FAs. It would have been great to see Bodden in a Texans uni but those odds were stacked against us the whole time.

People whined and complained that all they wanted was for the Texans to at least TRY to sign some guys, now they have tried and people continue to whine. I would way rather put more of our resources into scouting college players and trying to find steals in the draft then over-spending on free agents. Just my opinion.

That's it!!! This super-duper, uber, anti Cowgurls fan is converting to becoming a Cowgurls....
errrrrrrr Cowboys fan. :hides:

Yeah right.... :gun:

Personally I'm not worried about the lack of FA signings. In all of pro sports these days the players seem to be contributing at a younger age, only a year or two out of the draft. Drafting is the key to building winning franchises, not signing FAs. It would have been great to see Bodden in a Texans uni but those odds were stacked against us the whole time.

People whined and complained that all they wanted was for the Texans to at least TRY to sign some guys, now they have tried and people continue to whine. I would way rather put more of our resources into scouting college players and trying to find steals in the draft then over-spending on free agents. Just my opinion.

This is what they've been doing for the last 4 yrs.

The results so far have been 6-10,8-8,8-8,9-7. I would say a new approach should be in order.

Casserly screwed up so badly McNair is gun shy. IMHO

This is what they've been doing for the last 4 yrs.

The results so far have been 6-10,8-8,8-8,9-7. I would say a new approach should be in order.

Casserly screwed up so badly McNair is gun shy. IMHO

This strategy takes a long time to develop, but you can see that improvements have been made with the record. Mucho patience is required.

This strategy takes a long time to develop, but you can see that improvements have been made with the record. Mucho patience is required.

The Texans are currently working on their 10 yr plan.

In 2020 the Texans are going to have a kick butt team.

Herv,

I think Pollard had a probowl season. I think Kevin Walter is a very good #2 WR. I also think that Antonio Smith was very, very good last year. We don't go after the big name guys that demand premium dollars. I don't think we go after those guys for good reasons. You are right that we don't have the Patriot advantage of getting discounts on veterans trying to grab a Championship or repair their image. But, that just puts us even with about 29 other franchises.

We could outbid for some of these guys... like we did for Antonio Smith. I just think we haven't been in a position to until last year. This year I think they simply don't like the pool of FAs. I'm sure you'll see a major FA splash in 2011 or 2012. Personally, I'd rather see them continue to draft well and get these guys from the 2006 draft extended!

Back