Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kansas City Chiefs @ Houston Texans. Noon. 9/13. CBS. **Official Liberty White Thread**

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Offenses in general just looked bad today all over the nfl..save for the chiefs, packers and NE anyway. 3 of the more explosive offenses in the league in Indy, Den and Det struggled today on offense and there seems to me to be more ints thrown by qbs today than at any time in the league that i can remember. Defenses always gel faster than offenses so i expect us and the rest if the league to improve as the season goes on.
Agreed on the expectation of Denver and Detroit playing below their ability, but Indy is overrated this year. I think the Cowboys exposed them last season, and they still haven't recovered. If I had to guess, I'd say that Pagano's system has been figured out.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Are you saying I shouldn't watch the game?
I wish I had a url for you, JB. As far as why would you want to watch the game? Hell, I watched it and Thunderkyss mentioned there might have been 9 on the field for the Chiefs first punt. Others mentioned things I didn't notice as well, ref-related and otherwise. I'd like to see it again now...lol.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I wish I had a url for you, JB. As far as why would you want to watch the game? Hell, I watched it and Thunderkyss mentioned there might have been 9 on the field for the Chiefs first punt. Others mentioned things I didn't notice as well, ref-related and otherwise. I'd like to see it again now...lol.
There's a site I've been using for years.

Unfortunately, they don't have any open invitation at the moment.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He's somewhere between 6'2" and 6'3". Don't really care if he's 6'2" flat. That's not a problem.

Making himself 3'6" tall by playing with his head up his ass is the problem. Dude scans slow, gets the ball out late, is inaccurate as hell, etc. He's the same thing as Fitz - classroom and practice smart, on field stupid.
He's like 6'1 and smallish like Keenum. If you're smallish, you must find a throwing lane like Brees, Wilson, Young, Montana, etc.. Go watch the 1st pick and he threw it blind.

TexansFight

Veteran
Keep in mind that this is what he has to say either way. That response is such a given that I don't even know why the media asks the question at that moment. Even if the decision to start Mallett week 2 has already been made, you don't publically stomp on Hoyer's pride by announcing that decision right now. Then there's the factor of O'Brien saving some credibility.

Now, if O'Brien starts Hoyer week 2, then ignore anything I say, 'cause I'll be confused as hell.
I listened to O'Brien's press conference and he sounded like a huge, defensive prick. Kubiak's faults are too many to name but at least he was always respectful to the media. O'Brien acted like an asshole responding to questions, especially those from Brian T. Smith. The media is how we fans get info about our team. Him acting like a prick and not answering their questions is shitting on the fans that pay his ******* salary.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I listened to O'Brien's press conference and he sounded like a huge, defensive prick. Kubiak's faults are too many to name but at least he was always respectful to the media. O'Brien acted like an asshole responding to questions, especially those from Brian T. Smith. The media is how we fans get info about our team. Him acting like a prick and not answering their questions is shitting on the fans that pay his ******* salary.

Not to defend BoB too much because he has done plenty of dumb things this off-season to irritate me, but he did get embarrassed and out coached today and now his hand picked qb looked like trash while his red headed step child went out there and looked good. Im sure he is having a rough day.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
He's like 6'1 and smallish like Keenum. If you're smallish, you must find a throwing lane like Brees, Wilson, Young, Montana, etc.. Go watch the 1st pick and he threw it blind.
It's hard to find pictures where the depth of field doesn't alter the comparison, but almost all of them have him at about an inch taller than Manziel.

TexansFight

Veteran
Not to defend BoB too much because he has done plenty of dumb things this off-season to irritate me, but he did get embarrassed and out coached today and now his hand picked qb looked like trash while his red headed step child went out there and looked good. Im sure he is having a rough day.
Still he needs to heed his own advice about taking accountability. He is responsible for the mess we have at QB. He could have picked ANY QB he wanted in 2014 and didn't. He instead signed Cleveland's cast-off garbage of a QB in Brian Hoyer. His 2014 draft class is looking like one of the worst ones in history when accounting for our needs. If he goes 5-11, he deserves to be fired.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Still he needs to heed his own advice about taking accountability. He is responsible for the mess we have at QB. He could have picked ANY QB he wanted in 2014 and didn't. He instead signed Cleveland's cast-off garbage of a QB in Brian Hoyer. His 2014 draft class is looking like one of the worst ones in history when accounting for our needs. If he goes 5-11, he deserves to be fired.
Did u happen to catch manziel and bortles' performances today? The 2014 qb draft class is looking like garbage in general. Jags fans are starting to call Bortles "blaine" bortles b/c he was so bad today. Carr didnt even finish the game today....but he was looking like **** too before he went out too. Bridgewater isnt exactly setting the league on fire either and it remains to be seen what he'll do tomorrow.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
He kept saying he needs to look at the film . That film should be rated XXX cause the fans got ^&*^**(*

TexansFight

Veteran
Did u happen to catch manziel and bortles' performances today? The 2014 qb draft class is looking like garbage in general. Jags fans are starting to call Bortles "blaine" bortles b/c he was so bad today. Carr didnt even finish the game today....but he was looking like **** too before he went out too. Bridgewater isnt exactly setting the league on fire either and it remains to be seen what he'll do tomorrow.
No I didn't see their performances. Too disgusted to watch more football.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yeah, OB was dropping f-bombs left and right on hard knocks... Should be dropping infinitely more in tomorrow's film session...

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
In theory the Texans do the correct thing and take the players they like and don't reach on a need . The bad thing is the players aren't panning out which leads them wide open for scrutiny .

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
5'11 3/4" at the combine.

Not to you but generally, the combine measures to the qtr inch. If you see a listing without then it has likely been rounded.
6'1 looks about right for Hoyer. When I was with Kiwan and kubler, it was odd Hopkins walked in with Mallett and Hoyer came in solo. Mallett is 6'6 ish and Hopkins was under me. Hopkins and Blue were about same size, both taller than hoyer.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
the texans are the only team in the nfl where the kick/punt returner has ZERO percent chance of breaking one for a td. WHY does obrien love mumphry??? he SUCKS and is VERY SLOW. it's embarrassing.

a 4.6 guy returning kick/punts????!!!!!!
Football IQ? He prevented at least one turnover by situational awareness. ie he reacted as a DB on an under thrown ball preventing yet another interception. It also comes in handy as the returner. You have to pick your spots and getting the ball at the 20 was about the best we could do today.

Last edited:

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
No... But i was pissed late in the 4th qtr that smith wasnt called for intentional grounding when he threw that ball away with clowney about to light him up. There was noone within a mile of where he threw that ball and he was not outside the pocket. the next play they converted a 3rd and 8 to kelce....which would've made it 4th and 5 or so if he was correctly called the previous play.
The game officials had a really bad day only picking up one of three Interference calls as well as missing that Intentional Grounding. They should have been able to hear me screaming from Orange.

But the replay officials had a good day.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Forcing an angry man to do something he would rather avoid at the moment is not a good thing. I have little doubt that the media has chosen this timing for just that purpose and the NFL has bent over backwards rather than negotiating a more reasonable approach.

I'd personally ban reporters from the sideline for their own "safety" and make the first hour after a game a press free time zone. In fact, I'd prohibit the press from the locker room altogether and restrict access to a press room. I don't need the press around while regaining my composure and the NFL should be concerned enough about their image to protect their coaches and players from the same.

Honestly, why are we surprised at the repeated regurgitation of the same old cliche's by those forced into the situation where the press is after gotcha moments?

Do everything else the same. Access AFTER that hour to meet the needs of reporters, but stop catering to instigators posing as the press.

Let the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat moments come from the fans in the stands or at least from a distance.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Just now getting a chance to post here. What an ugly game. Everybody is talking QB's, but wtf happened to the D? Maybe preseason games do matter, unless you're JJ Watt? Just a pitiful performance, all the way around.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Just now getting a chance to post here. What an ugly game. Everybody is talking QB's, but wtf happened to the D? Maybe preseason games do matter, unless you're JJ Watt? Just a pitiful performance, all the way around.
Exactly. At least we knew our QBs suck going in this game. At least we knew we'd struggle running the ball w/o Foster. At least we knew we'd have a hard time containing their pass rush. But I didn't expect our defense to play so poorly against a beat up OL.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Still waiting for these new and improved Texans under new and improved leadership to show up.

Horrendous game preparation, horrendous execution and awareness, horrendous playcalling and game management. Outplayed, outcoached, out-everythinged. And when you set them up twice in their own red zone, leave their massive tight end unguarded, and have blatant PIs on third down missed by refs, of course you're gonna get annihilated.

Infuriating. Completely unimpressed.

At least Hopkins and Watt played well as did Clowney. More of that, please.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Exactly. At least we knew our QBs suck going in this game. At least we knew we'd struggle running the ball w/o Foster. At least we knew we'd have a hard time containing their pass rush. But I didn't expect our defense to play so poorly against a beat up OL.
I think we need to give Reid, Smith and the Chiefs credit for the win as much as we are blaming OB, Hoyer and the Texans for the loss. Reid is a very good coach and the Chiefs are not a bad team. I think Reid knew what he was up against this week regarding his Oline and game-planned well for it. Smith was getting the ball out very quick in the first half.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Nobody is not giving credit to the Chiefs.

The things and people being criticizing don't have much to do with them.
Just quoting the part about playing poorly against a beat up Oline. Charles was held to 57 total yards and something like 10 in the first half. Chiefs didn't break 100 yards total rushing and had 3.0 YPC. 2 sacks and 7 TFL's show that they were getting in the backfield. It's just that Smith was focused on getting the ball out as quick as possible.

BTW, speaking of YPC, all three Texans RB's were at 4.4 or higher on the day.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Still waiting for these new and improved Texans under new and improved leadership to show up.

Horrendous game preparation, horrendous execution and awareness, horrendous playcalling and game management. Outplayed, outcoached, out-everythinged. And when you set them up twice in their own red zone, leave their massive tight end unguarded, and have blatant PIs on third down missed by refs, of course you're gonna get annihilated.

Infuriating. Completely unimpressed.

At least Hopkins and Watt played well as did Clowney. More of that, please.
Don't forget Crick, he played his ass off

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
The Texans out-scored the Chiefs 11-0 in the 2nd half. Our defense looked pretty damn good and played with more energy in that 2nd half. Even Travis Kelce who had a pair of TD catches in the first half, one uncovered and untouched, was absolutely drilled by Kevin Johnson and laid on the ground for a few minutes. He later returned. Apparently it's not as easy to score when you're actually being hit.

I just wish we had started that way. We came out flat. The Hoyer turnover early on ruined the field position game right after our defense forced a punt and couldn't catch their breath. Chiefs took a 7-0 lead. We spiraled out of control from there. But very encouraging 2nd half we can take into the Panthers game.

I expected us to play like we did in the 2nd half for the entire game...
We obviously have the talent to beat the Chiefs. Just a shame we lost 27-20.

Hopefully we don't miss out on an AFC wild-card spot by one game to the Chiefs. Like 2009 when we lost to the Jets at home Week 1. Ended up barely missing the playoffs because the Jets owned the tiebreaker at 9-7. Hell, we lost that game to the Jets 24-7 and were dominated statistically if I recall. This wasn't even as bad but a loss is a loss.

The real question is whether or not Ryan Mallett will start Week 2? I think he deserves it for lighting a fire under the offense late in the 4th quarter. With Brian Hoyer our offense looked flat and turnover prone.

Last edited:

sandman

Brexit Advisor
The Texans out-scored the Chiefs 11-0 in the 2nd half. Our defense looked pretty damn good and played with more energy in that 2nd half. I just wish we had started that way. We came out flat. The Hoyer turnover early on ruined the field position game. We spiraled out of control from there. But very encouraging 2nd half we can take into the Panthers game.
Anyone else see shades of the Colts game last year? Inept offense in the first quarter, defense on the field too much, give up 27 points in the first half and look totally outplayed/coached, outplay the Colts/Chiefs in the second half.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Looking up at the Titans is odd....
Well they did play the Bucs. And while I give Mariota credit for the win and 4 TD's, the realist in me says two TD's were from within the 5 yard line. And he threw for 200 yards with 52 coming on one pass. Only had 16 attempts. Titans had almost 150 yards rushing. Not saying he won't be a good one, but have a hard time saying he is the next anointed based on that stat line.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
This loss was solely on OB and special teams, imo. It was Bills choice to go with Hoyer and it was Bills choice to wait until the game was practically out of hand before yanking him for Mallett. It was also Bills decision not to at least bring in competition for the fat aggie.

I can't remember the last time we had decent STs units. We can't block, our returners run around in circles when they do actually field the ball cleanly and we still can't cover worth a crap. Too damn slow. It pissed me off to no end when the Chiefs returner muffed the punt and we didn't have anyone within 10 yards.

The defense started very sluggish. However, Hoyer's pick gave the Chiefs the ball on our 13 and his fumble put the ball on the 7 for two easy scores. How much of that is on the defense? Maybe a tad, but imo, the defense gave up 13 points. We could say our redzone defense kinda blows.

OB spoke of Charles, Kelce and Smith all week and it didn't look like we really game planned at all for them. Leaving Kelce wide open was a stupid mistake.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
I swear if they announce Hoyer as the starter for the 2nd game I'm going to scream.
I wouldn't get too excited. I expect Hoyer to get one more chance. If he plays the way he did this week then I expect the change for week 3.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
This is my feeling.
I dread it but me too. It just feels like something OB would do.

At the same time I have a glimmer of hope based on the way he told them who won the preseason competition (BS) and his "short leash" comments. I think it's a really slim chance but Hoyer might have lost OB's confidence if it was really as close as he made it sound.

But it's more likely that we're going to waste another week on Hoyer. Watch us turn it around and miss the playoffs again by one win if that happens.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Leaving Kelce wide open was a stupid mistake.
He wasn't left wide open. Dent had him in coverage. The problem is that Dent can't cover him.

Looked like everyone else was playing man & Dent was playing zone, or whoever was supposed to be in that zone (can't remember who) followed a receiver he wasn't supposed to leaving that area of the field wide open.

Had Kelce broke to the right, Dent was there & it would have been a difficult throw. But he broke left & Dent was trailing, couldn't run with Kelce.

Vance87

All Pro
I dread it but me too. It just feels like something OB would do.

At the same time I have a glimmer of hope based on the way he told them who won the preseason competition (BS) and his "short leash" comments. I think it's a really slim chance but Hoyer might have lost OB's confidence if it was really as close as he made it sound.

But it's more likely that we're going to waste another week on Hoyer. Watch us turn it around and miss the playoffs again by one win if that happens.
The thing is, Carolina has a good D (although they may be minus Luke next week) so it'll be a bit tough to evaluate if Hoyer sucks...is it him or just good defense...although the bonehead plays (like the opening INT) would be obvious...

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
He wasn't left wide open. Dent had him in coverage. The problem is that Dent can't cover him.

Looked like everyone else was playing man & Dent was playing zone, or whoever was supposed to be in that zone (can't remember who) followed a receiver he wasn't supposed to leaving that area of the field wide open.

Had Kelce broke to the right, Dent was there & it would have been a difficult throw. But he broke left & Dent was trailing, couldn't run with Kelce.
Whether Dent couldn't cover him or it was an MA he was still left wide open.

TexansFight

Veteran

We really missed Mike Mohamed in coverage yesterday. Cushing and Dent got killed in coverage.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
This loss was solely on OB and special teams, imo. It was Bills choice to go with Hoyer and it was Bills choice to wait until the game was practically out of hand before yanking him for Mallett. It was also Bills decision not to at least bring in competition for the fat aggie.

I can't remember the last time we had decent STs units. We can't block, our returners run around in circles when they do actually field the ball cleanly and we still can't cover worth a crap. Too damn slow. It pissed me off to no end when the Chiefs returner muffed the punt and we didn't have anyone within 10 yards.

The defense started very sluggish. However, Hoyer's pick gave the Chiefs the ball on our 13 and his fumble put the ball on the 7 for two easy scores. How much of that is on the defense? Maybe a tad, but imo, the defense gave up 13 points. We could say our redzone defense kinda blows.

OB spoke of Charles, Kelce and Smith all week and it didn't look like we really game planned at all for them. Leaving Kelce wide open was a stupid mistake.
Charles had 16 rushes and only 4 of them went for more than 4 yards. He had 8 rushes that were less than 2 yards, including 3 TFL's. 57 total yards, with 35 coming on three carries. At halftime he had 7 yards. He did have 38 yards receiving in the 1st quarter on three catches, but only had 2 more catches for 8 yards for the rest of the game. I thought they did a damn fine job on Charles. Touched the ball 21 times and only had 5 plays over 10 yards (and three of those were 11 yards).

Scooter

Funky
Put a lot of our defensive issues on the coaches. We played 3 and 4 deep shell the whole first half which makes ZERO sense. The Chiefs didn't throw a touchdown to a receiver last season and Alex Smith doesn't test defenses over the top. So why did we put our huge investments at corner and safety into a soft zone against an opponent who's going to try to work horizontally? Zero sense. We finally moved another man into the box the second half and mixed in more man coverage, but by then it was too late.

And yeah preseason matters. Leaving Watt out would be ok if he played a more straight forward game, but he doesn't and the guys running those stunts and playing off of him need the work playing beside his changes. Leaving 3 starters out let them look a bit rusty and hampered communication as well as familiarity on the field.