Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ has asked to be released

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
No many. Most guys here have hated the FO for years. Watson has become their William Wallace.
One would think it would be the opposite.

Watt gave his body through two back surgeries and did so much for Houston after Harvey.

Never complained about the multiple GMs and head coaches he had to go through.

I can’t say Watson has given as much to Houston and was very quick to complain.

It is backwards to me.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I read it as “not many will view Watson as the enemy when he leaves.”

Which I believe is closer to the truth.
Not many will look at Watt as an enemy.

Not many will look at Watson as an enemy.

Both the same. Not backwards.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'll consider Watson an enemy if he weasels his way out of houston. I'll only see watt that way when the Texans play against him.
Yeah the Texans organization is a train wreck, a pile of sh!t, a dumpster fire blah blah blah. We all know that, and the players (most of them) probably realize it too. But if you just signed a huge contract and took a crap load of money, I got no sympathy for you if you want out now. Watson knew what he should have known when he signed the contract, if not, tough sh!t MF.

Both Watson and the situation has me pissed. I think the (future) arguments over how we spend our haul of draft picks is more interesting than the soap opera we got now anyway.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Exactly why if Watson leaves. I respect his talent and potential, but Watson the man will have lost my respect as a man entirely.

I know that wont rob him of any sleep, but it will be what allows me to say good riddance.

I understand completely why he wants out, but I dont agree with crying now cause the new boss is likely the same as the old boss.... welcome to life.

If only we were all so heavily compensated for signing on the line.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think it's going to be a blast for Watt (and me) to watch how many teams still see enough in him to make a serious presentation to try and land his services.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You Sure its the same? We only hold wf5's rights for a couple more weeks. We had clowney for a year or more.
I'm sure, thats why I referenced Dee Ford. The league yr doesn't end with the superbowl. Teams have the player rights until then if they're free. DeForest Buckner was also traded before the league yr ended and was given a new contract by Indy. The Texans can trade Fuller before its time to apply tags and get compensation. A team may want to negotiate with him on a deal before a trade and give the Texans compensation. They can get at least a 2nd for Fuller even with the 1 game he will miss.

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
Its not personal with me no but what Watson is doing is not just business. Business wise Texans have taken care of him.
I don't know what your definition of "business" is but mine is basically doing whatever is best for you financially/personally. You're bringing some vague notion of "honor" into the equation. I'm talking about both sides narrowly pursuing their own self-interest. This is the essence of capitalism after all.

Fans also have their own selfish interests. As a fan, it's in our best interest to have all these guys play for free. Unfortunately, however, the real world doesn't work that way, and these guys are going to be more loyal to their wives, friends, sisters, agents, etc. than they are to you or I.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't know what your definition of "business" is but mine is basically doing whatever is best for you financially/personally. You're bringing some vague notion of "honor" into the equation. I'm talking about both sides narrowly pursuing their own self-interest. This is the essence of capitalism after all.
Yeah see that’s the thing it’s not in Watson’s best interest, it maybe in his agents best interest but it’s not in Watson’s. Also I never said anything about honor so I’ll thank you to not put words in my mouth. I said with Watson it’s not about business because if it was he would say something about they didn’t pay me enough or the checks bounced. Instead he has done this “some things never change” crap and other things that point to it being personal.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Is that all you could find?
After Harvey Watson was helping furnish people's homes that had been destroyed.

You guys want to be upset with Watson for handling this in a manner in which you disagree, fine, but Watson has done nothing to warrant the constant complaining and questioning of his willingness to help the community. The guy is upset with his company for making bad choices repeatedly and he is taking time to digest things. Not sure why anyone who has ever held a job with a bad company would even be upset with him. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

You guys want to be upset with Watson for handling this in a manner in which you disagree, fine, but Watson has done nothing to warrant the constant complaining and questioning of his willingness to help the community. The guy is upset with his company for making bad choices repeatedly and he is taking time to digest things. Not sure why anyone who has ever held a job with a bad company would even be upset with him. It's hypocrisy at its finest.
Are we supposed to take you at your word, or is this just another of your made up lies?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
As good as that argument may be, Jj is not the game changer he used to be.

The man can still play. I'm not saying otherwise. We'll see soon enough if the league thinks he was underpaid.
lots of guys can still play at the ends of their careers. But Teams look for upgrades and difference makers when they pick up guys in FA & I’m fairly sure JJ isnt that guy anymore. Wherever he ends up, he’ll either be reduced to a 3rd down pass rusher which will limit his opportunities to make those JJ type of plays behind the LOS that he’s been famous for......or he’ll be in a position where he’ll be asked to play more than his body can handle and he’ll break down...........again.

I remember Folks saying the same things about AJ that they’re saying about JJ now. Yeah AJ could technically still play when BoB released him & His numbers the previous year with us said that he was still a very viable #2. But of course we know what happened when he left here.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Lol.

I can tell you too are disappointed.

Watson’s silence is telling.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Right.....but some of us before taking a big promotion or contract with that company would take a bird’s eye view of said company to assess whether we wanted to be there long term or not...

I mean it’s 1 thing to be someone coming from the outside and not quite knowing what you’re getting yourself into, it’s quite another to be in the building for years, seeing the dysfunction upfront and close and still opting in...then crying foul about the dysfunction not even a year into your contract.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Watt played the 4th most downs of any DL in the NFL if I remember correctly.

Cut that number down by a third and you will probably have a more productive Watt.
Or give him players that can play at a top level and don’t mail it in.

Put him on the Bucs, Bills, or Steelers and you will see him dominate. Not like what he was, but dominate. Something like when Randy Moss went from Raiders to Patriots.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Right.....but some of us before taking a big promotion or contract with that company would take a bird’s eye view of said company to assess whether we wanted to be there long term or not...

I mean it’s 1 thing to be someone coming from the outside and not quite knowing what you’re getting yourself into, it’s quite another to be in the building for years, seeing the dysfunction upfront and close and still opting in...then crying foul about the dysfunction not even a year into your contract.
The team and organization have been on a nose dive ever since he signed that deal. To pretend his expectations or thoughts haven’t changed or shouldn’t be allowed to is not fair IMO. As an athlete with a short window, he is seeing the organization decline rapidly. Why would or should he stick it out? I said it when this first started and no one here seems to agree, which is fine. Athletes in the nfl, specifically qbs are going to start throwing around their weight and leverage.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The team and organization have been on a nose dive ever since he signed that deal. To pretend his expectations or thoughts haven’t changed or shouldn’t be allowed to is not fair IMO. As an athlete with a short window, he is seeing the organization decline rapidly. Why would or should he stick it out? I said it when this first started and no one here seems to agree, which is fine. Athletes in the nfl, specifically qbs are going to start throwing around their weight and leverage.
help me understand. Since he signed that contract what has changed?

They fired O’Brien. That’s a good thing isn’t it? I mean I wanted O’Brien fired since KC shut us out in a home playoff game.

They went 4-12? Nothing that happened between the time he signed his contract & today was going to change that.

Hiring Caserio, IMO is the first step in fixing that. What he does in the next six months is going to fix that.

We didn’t have a first or 2nd round pick in the 2021 draft before he signed his contract.

We’re not in a nose dive any different than the dive we were in when he signed.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I'm sure, thats why I referenced Dee Ford. The league yr doesn't end with the superbowl. Teams have the player rights until then if they're free. DeForest Buckner was also traded before the league yr ended and was given a new contract by Indy. The Texans can trade Fuller before its time to apply tags and get compensation. A team may want to negotiate with him on a deal before a trade and give the Texans compensation. They can get at least a 2nd for Fuller even with the 1 game he will miss.
Noone will trade a 2nd for Fuller without a contract, we have to tag him to try and get something.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Dee ford was tagged before he was traded.

The Texans have no right to trade Will fuller until or unless they tag him.

Goff and Stafford are clearly under contract for 2021 yet their trade doesn't become official until the new league year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's fine, let him return his signing bonus.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

amazing80

Hall of Fame
help me understand. Since he signed that contract what has changed?

They fired O’Brien. That’s a good thing isn’t it? I mean I wanted O’Brien fired since KC shut us out in a home playoff game.

They went 4-12? Nothing that happened between the time he signed his contract & today was going to change that.

Hiring Caserio, IMO is the first step in fixing that. What he does in the next six months is going to fix that.

We didn’t have a first or 2nd round pick in the 2021 draft before he signed his contract.

We’re not in a nose dive any different than the dive we were in when he signed.
Are you seriously going to pretend the culture surrounding the front office hasn't changed? The longer Cal and Easterby are in charge, the worse things have gotten. IMO players can deal with bad signings and losing seasons, even though they hate it. Dealing with bad company culture is an entirely different task and not many are going to stick it out.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Are you seriously going to pretend the culture surrounding the front office hasn't changed? The longer Cal and Easterby are in charge, the worse things have gotten. IMO players can deal with bad signings and losing seasons, even though they hate it. Dealing with bad company culture is an entirely different task and not many are going to stick it out.
So you know a lot about the Texans company culture? Are you on the team, in the organization or even allowed outside of the public areas of NRG? I get you read a SI article and it confirmed everything you ever thought about the Texans but the fact is unless you are there then you don’t know anything about the culture.

By the way what started this whole “culture” mess was apparently the Hopkins trade. Guess what happened before Watson signed his extension.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m seriously saying office politics shouldn’t mean anything to Watson. The players they put in the trenches with him should be his only concern.

There hasn’t been an opportunity to show any improvement or lack of since Caserio was hired.

As far as this “culture” thing, it reeks of flavor of the week kind of stuff we all have to weather.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You kidding me? Dude was just thanking BoB and the very guy he now has a problem with just 3 months before. Rapid decline was valready on the way considering BoB had came into the season in 2019.................on the hot seat. Nuk had already been traded, Cal was already making questionable decisions by giving BoB the GM title when he could barely handle just being a HC & Easterby was already worming his way into the mix. What has happened since he signed his extension?