Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ has asked to be released

Haha , at least, let me have one ex-Texan player that I can root for (after all, I had him as my avatar shortly after he was drafted by the Texans, courtesy of a TT board member) until he parted way.
(Case Keenum was a homeboy from my alma mater UH, and the only one from there that I follow in the NFL, though I also like Oliver from the Bills).
I wouldn't mind JJ Watt signing with the Bills or the Browns either).

But, like I said, I don't think Watt wants to be in the same division with his brothers).
The Steelers can't afford big brother when they're about to extend little brother to a Megadeal.
And the Bills will have Josh Allen to deal with shortly, not to mention a few other players.

Watt doesn't want to be in the AFC South, not with the Colts and definitely not with the Titans; I would have to disown him then.

Got to have some dough to go along with a competitive team, so the Cardinals make sense.
Scheme fit, as he already knows pretty much what Vance Joseph wants to run, and VJ certainly knows how to use Watt. That defense should be at least in the top ten, and if most everything goes right, top 5.
Then they have Mayfield, Hopkins and the rest of an offense that may also push the top ten.
That division is going to be one of the toughest in the NFL.
Knowing Watt, I think he likes the challenge (when his team is also highly competitive).
The Cards should have a better team all around then the Texans ever had.

Watt can't be with the Buccs, Chiefs, nor Packers because those teams are up there against the cap.
Tom Brady gets to chase a ring while earning top dollar; I don't think I saw anybody complaining about it. :swatter:

Brady signed for 25 mil plus bonuses related to winning a SB.

Hardly top $$$$ for the GOAT QB.

Haha , at least, let me have one ex-Texan player that I can root for (after all, I had him as my avatar shortly after he was drafted by the Texans, courtesy of a TT board member) until he parted way.
(Case Keenum was a homeboy from my alma mater UH, and the only one from there that I follow in the NFL, though I also like Oliver from the Bills).
I wouldn't mind JJ Watt signing with the Bills or the Browns either).

But, like I said, I don't think Watt wants to be in the same division with his brothers).
The Steelers can't afford big brother when they're about to extend little brother to a Megadeal.
And the Bills will have Josh Allen to deal with shortly, not to mention a few other players.

Watt doesn't want to be in the AFC South, not with the Colts and definitely not with the Titans; I would have to disown him then.

Got to have some dough to go along with a competitive team, so the Cardinals make sense.
Scheme fit, as he already knows pretty much what Vance Joseph wants to run, and VJ certainly knows how to use Watt. That defense should be at least in the top ten, and if most everything goes right, top 5.
Then they have Mayfield, Hopkins and the rest of an offense that may also push the top ten.
That division is going to be one of the toughest in the NFL.
Knowing Watt, I think he likes the challenge (when his team is also highly competitive).
The Cards should have a better team all around then the Texans ever had.

Watt can't be with the Buccs, Chiefs, nor Packers because those teams are up there against the cap.
Tom Brady gets to chase a ring while earning top dollar; I don't think I saw anybody complaining about it. :swatter:

I won’t speak for anyone else but I was never complaining about Watt signing that deal. In fact I think he made the smart choice. Chasing a ring involves the stars aligning, getting guaranteed millions is a sure thing.

The Colts are denying this through multiple sources.

The Gambadoro tweet was most likely released to either mitigate criticism of the Cardinals that they paid too much, or to show that JJ was not just going for the money, or both. Public image is a big deal for both parties.

I don't care what the man does. He's no longer a Houston Texan, so money, ring, both, I just don't care. Time to move on as a Texans fan.

The Colts are denying this through multiple sources.

The Gambadoro tweet was most likely released to either mitigate criticism of the Cardinals that they paid too much, or to show that JJ was not just going for the money, or both. Public image is a big deal for both parties.

I don't care what the man does. He's no longer a Houston Texan, so money, ring, both, I just don't care. Time to move on as a Texans fan.

I had to sit through Emmitt Smith as a Cardinal, so this is nothing new. JJ wasn't coming back no matter what. Good for everyone involved.

Yep. I expect JJ to sign a one day contract with the Texans so he can retire as a Texan when the time comes. Some folks love that cheesy stuff.
If we were the Cowboys or 49ers, I could see it. But if it's between Arizona or Houston I think most would say, "Who cares?"

If we were the Cowboys or 49ers, I could see it. But if it's between Arizona or Houston I think most would say, "Who cares?"

From my own jaded perspective, I agree.

But, both the Houston Texans and JJ Watt love them some "JJ Watt", so I expect the positive-spin headline to be in our distant future. He's still going to want to feel the H-town love, as well as bask in the eternal glory of his much anticipated entry into the Houston Texans legendary Ring of Honor.

I would not be surprised if he and Cal even have a pinky promise when they talked and the team honored his personal request by releasing him.

From my own jaded perspective, I agree.

But, both the Houston Texans and JJ Watt love them some "JJ Watt", so I expect the positive-spin headline to be in our distant future. He's still going to want to feel the H-town love, as well as bask in the eternal glory of his much anticipated entry into the Houston Texans legendary Ring of Honor.

I would not be surprised if he and Cal even have a pinky promise when they talked and the team honored his personal request by releasing him.
If we had a marketing genius like Jamie Rootes, I can see it.

Can't believe nobody's talking about the "source" of this article.
According to Josh Reed of WIVB, an NFL coach who had worked with J.J. Watt on the Texans offered a less than flattering assessment of Watt, claiming that the perennial All-Pro defensive end and one of pro football's most-prolific pass rushers of the 2000s was "selfish" and "only cared about his stats." The coach also claimed that Watt hurt the Texans' defense more than he helped it, though the exact ways he did so were not specified. The coach also stated that he "wouldn't want" Watt as a free agent.

Josh Reed has interviewed Bill O'Brien before.
This wouldn't be the first time BOB left a job with sour grapes either.

Handful of posters have mentioned this over the years. His pass rush often abandons any semblance of gap integrity.

Josh Reed is Murrow and Emmy award-winning journalist who joined the News 4 team as Sports Director in August 2015.
A graduate of Kent State University, in Ohio, Josh spent the past 10 years as a sports anchor/reporter in Harrisburg, PA. Prior to that he was a sports director in Hagerstown, MD.
When he’s not covering the Buffalo sports scene Josh enjoys running and has finished several marathons. If you see him out and about stop and say “Hi!”

link

Handful of posters have mentioned this over the years. His pass rush often abandons any semblance of gap integrity.

I've heard that for years, even in the national media. Wade loved it, especially because JJ could make up for this lack of gap integrity with big plays. But, I've heard that RAC wasn't a big fan of his style because his defense is all about 'do your job' as a scheme.

Is that you Bill O’Brein?

I called it.

Was something Ted Johnson talked alot about when he was here on 610 too. JJ's freelancing was well chronicled.
He was given the green light from both Wade and Crennel, but obviously, he has to pick his spot and not overdoing it.

Not saying Watt wasn't a freelancer, but dude leads the world in impact plays and you don't want him? Oh, OK. I mean, maybe in 2021 with his injury history, but whatevs.

It did seem to work pretty well for Son of Bum, and hell, it might have even worked for RAC if his unit wasn't stripped of talent, and of course, Watt was healthy.

Would not surprise me at all to see JJ back in double digit sacks and among the leaders in TFL with more help this season, and he plays the full slate.

Not saying Watt wasn't a freelancer, but dude leads the world in impact plays and you don't want him? Oh, OK. I mean, maybe in 2021 with his injury history, but whatevs.

It did seem to work pretty well for Son of Bum, and hell, it might have even worked for RAC if his unit wasn't stripped of talent, and of course, Watt was healthy.

Would not surprise me at all to see JJ back in double digit sacks and among the leaders in TFL with more help this season, and he plays the full slate.

I don’t know about double digit sacks but JJ is one of those players that you can’t ignore him and there is an intimidation factor for the other QB. JJ’s free lancing did “hurt” the defense in the sense of his one goal was to get to the QB first and foremost so he might miss something in the run tackle but when the line is having to put two guys on him just to slow him down which frees up a defense guy from being blocked that’s invaluable.

It's the truth regardless of who said it.

The BOB hate on here runs deep.

Back