Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ has asked to be released

'eh, can't blame him for going for the money. He makes more in a game than I'll make in my entire life. lol

That said, all the "just want a ring" talk was merely rhetoric in the end. I can't feel sorry for him when he retires without one. He had his choice of teams.

Here's a twist, apparently we play Arizona first next year.

Kind of makes me want Watson to suit up even more, be funny watching JJ chase after him. :stirpot:
It would be neat to beat Arizona with Watson riding the bench.

Don't forget that the Cardinals didn't have their best pass rusher Chandler Jones for 10 games last year.

Watt picking to be in a tough division shows that he wants a challenge and not something easy.

BTW, we don't know if the other teams can retain all of their players.

Don't forget that the Cardinals didn't have their best pass rusher Chandler Jones for 10 games last year.

Watt picking to be in a tough division shows that he wants a challenge and not something easy.

BTW, we don't know if the other teams can retain all of their players.

Really cause I'm pretty sure it showed he wanted that 31 million over two years with 23 million of it guaranteed.

Quite. It's an obvious cash-grab. If a ring is his objective there are some real contenders who he could really improve if he was prepared to work for cheap. His choice and good luck to him.
He will make more in TV and endorsements. A ring would make those propositions more lucrative I would have thought.

Also, if it was just about money, he would have stayed in Houston.

If the Texans want to retain him, they would have to pony up $17M, I think.

I'm so confused by his choice, clearly there were better options on the table for a championship *IF* that is what he wanted. A little disappointed as to why he left then.
Like I said, we don't know whether the other teams can retain their players.

The Packers, for example, are slated for some cuts.

How much of it was guaranteed?

Texans couldn't afford to retain him. Also even if they had his first season salary with Cards. is reported to be 19 million. 19 > 17
No idea how much was guaranteed. We'll just have to wait to see if the details come out .

I'm not sure I follow you on the second part.

The important thing is that the Cardinals were without Jones for the last 11 games.

A possible reason why Watt doesn't take the Browns offer even though it was reported to be in the same range is that he doesn't want to play against his brothers twice a year.

By going to the NFC, he also preserves the chance that they will meet in the SB.

No idea how much was guaranteed. We'll just have to wait to see if the details come out .

I'm not sure I follow you on the second part.

The important thing is that the Cardinals were without Jones for the last 11 games.

That’s not important, that’s not important at all. In fact it has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. As for not following me on the second part not sure why you can’t as it’s pretty simple. Texans owed him 17 million and they couldn’t afford it so they cut him. Watt went to Arizona and is suppose to be making 19 million. You said if it was about money he would have stayed in Houston well 19 he is making now is more than the 17 he would have made here.

That’s not important, that’s not important at all. In fact it has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. As for not following me on the second part not sure why you can’t as it’s pretty simple. Texans owed him 17 million and they couldn’t afford it so they cut him. Watt went to Arizona and is suppose to be making 19 million. You said if it was about money he would have stayed in Houston well 19 he is making now is more than the 17 he would have made here.
Where do you get the 19M?

By cutting players the Texans can afford to keep Watt.
Also, they can extend him to spread the bonus money into future years (beyond 2 years.)

Where do you get the 19M?

It was number first reported when the story broke but you’re right and it looks like when contract details came out it’s around 15.5 so that was my mistake. Even if that is in the Browns ball park I think the guaranteed was higher with Arizona.

By cutting players the Texans can afford to keep Watt.
Also, they can extend him to spread the bonus money into future years (beyond 2 years.)

They could but why would they? Much as I love Watt by cutting him it almost single handily took care of our over the cap problem. Also you really think Watt has enough left to go more than 2 years? He himself said only 3 and I think he’s being generous. Cutting him was best for the Texans and really best for Watt from a money or ring point of view. Still say he chose money because if he had taken a vet minimal deal even GB or Pitt could have found the money.

They could but why would they? Much as I love Watt by cutting him it almost single handily took care of our over the cap problem.
But being “classy” about it, letting him make the best decision for this point in his career... kinda stings a little him going to Arizona signing a $28M guaranteed contract.

Makes you think the Texans, like I did, undervalued the player. & is out of touch with the market.

It was number first reported when the story broke but you’re right and it looks like when contract details came out it’s around 15.5 so that was my mistake. Even if that is in the Browns ball park I think the guaranteed was higher with Arizona.

They could but why would they? Much as I love Watt by cutting him it almost single handily took care of our over the cap problem. Also you really think Watt has enough left to go more than 2 years? He himself said only 3 and I think he’s being generous. Cutting him was best for the Texans and really best for Watt from a money or ring point of view. Still say he chose money because if he had taken a vet minimal deal even GB or Pitt could have found the money.
Who says anything about vet minimum?

It's always about a balance of the two: some momey and a competitive team.

The Browns can offer both since they have a ton of cap space.

But like I said, the Browns are in the same division as the Steelers, and Watt wouldn't want to face his brothers twice a year.

The Steelers won't be able to accomodate JJ as his brother is due a massive extension, just to name one thing on their to do list.

But being “classy” about it, letting him make the best decision for this point in his career... kinda stings a little him going to Arizona signing a $28M guaranteed contract.

Makes you think the Texans, like I did, undervalued the player. & is out of touch with the market.

We said at the beginning that hard choices would have to be made. By cutting Watt they didn’t have to cut 3-5 other players. I’m not sure why Arizona was such a player in this and why they offered so much. If it helps take comfort in the fact that many Arizona fans were also very surprised by this and more than few weren’t happy with it.

We said at the beginning that hard choices would have to be made. By cutting Watt they didn’t have to cut 3-5 other players. I’m not sure why Arizona was such a player in this and why they offered so much. If it helps take comfort in the fact that many Arizona fans were also very surprised by this and more than few weren’t happy with it.
I wouldn’t send him to Arizona, thinking he wants to be up north near his wife, or out east with his brothers.

& it doesn’t matter why Arizona was a player, they were. Trading him for a 4th might have been the move to make.

All in hindsight. That’s what I’m saying.

Yeah, they could have gotten some draft capital for him, especially now realizing it was never about chasing a ring.

That said, they most likely did not want another PR nightmare, especially from Houston's own Captain America, to go with the on-going Watson drama.

Yeap, they started the season 5-2, with wins against the Seahawks and the Niners (with Jimmy G).

Agree. Over the weekend, I was making a similar point that they were close to being a 10 win team.
  • At one point they were 6-3
  • They lost 3 games by 3 points
  • They lost 1 game by 7 points
  • They lost 1 game by 8 points
  • They lost 2 games by 10 points
  • They lost 1 game by more than 10 points

Agree. Over the weekend, I was making a similar point that they were close to being a 10 win team.
  • At one point they were 6-3
  • They lost 3 games by 3 points
  • They lost 1 game by 7 points
  • They lost 1 game by 8 points
  • They lost 2 games by 10 points
  • They lost 1 game by more than 10 points
I watched them quite a bit when they play the good teams.
Not only Chandler got injured early, and Murray some time after mid season, they were only easing their first-rounder into the rotation.
Same goes for their RT of the future; he saw very few snaps.
With a couple more picks this year, they're as solid as any team.

Here's a twist, apparently we play Arizona first next year.

Kind of makes me want Watson to suit up even more, be funny watching JJ chase after him. :stirpot:
I might have to go “play golf” in Arizona this coming year. And go check out Watt in my free time.

I know he’s from Wisconsin and all that but maybe he chose Arizona over Indy and Cleveland for the weather. Cleveland is miserable. And maybe he just doesn’t like the Colts. He wanted to stay away from playing the Texans twice.

And Watt would never catch Watson scrambling out of the pocket.

I might have to go “play golf” in Arizona this coming year. And go check out Watt in my free time.

I know he’s from Wisconsin and all that but maybe he chose Arizona over Indy and Cleveland for the weather. Cleveland is miserable. And maybe he just doesn’t like the Colts. He wanted to stay away from playing the Texans twice.

And Watt would never catch Watson scrambling out of the pocket.

I think it has more to do with going where they paid him the most money.

If the Covid crap passes, I'm down for a trip to Glendale. I had a great time last time we made the trip.

Give.e a call if y'all decide to go.

I think it has more to do with going where they paid him the most money.

If the Covid crap passes, I'm down for a trip to Glendale. I had a great time last time we made the trip.

Give.e a call if y'all decide to go.
I mentioned in another thread somewhere it was all about money. But I’m just suggesting it had something to do with weather, who knows. It wasn’t about the ring, that’s for sure.

@steelbtexan im officially retired now, so I’ll have time on my hands now! I’ll definitely give you a holler if we go!

I mentioned in another thread somewhere it was all about money. But I’m just suggesting it had something to do with weather, who knows. It wasn’t about the ring, that’s for sure.

@steelbtexan im officially retired now, so I’ll have time on my hands now! I’ll definitely give you a holler if we go!

Hope you're enjoying your retirement.

Congratulations! Welcome to the Club. You Made It!

Welcome to the club.
Today is my second FULL day of retirement.. gotta whole of nothing going on right now!! Lol
But yes, enjoying every minute of it! Thanks
I remember the Monday after I retired, Bob got fired.
Maybe this means your retirement gift will be an Easterby firing?
Yay!
I thank you in advance.

But Arizona offered more guaranteed. Why does he omit that part?
Haha , at least, let me have one ex-Texan player that I can root for (after all, I had him as my avatar shortly after he was drafted by the Texans, courtesy of a TT board member) until he parted way.
(Case Keenum was a homeboy from my alma mater UH, and the only one from there that I follow in the NFL, though I also like Oliver from the Bills).
I wouldn't mind JJ Watt signing with the Bills or the Browns either).

But, like I said, I don't think Watt wants to be in the same division with his brothers).
The Steelers can't afford big brother when they're about to extend little brother to a Megadeal.
And the Bills will have Josh Allen to deal with shortly, not to mention a few other players.

Watt doesn't want to be in the AFC South, not with the Colts and definitely not with the Titans; I would have to disown him then.

Got to have some dough to go along with a competitive team, so the Cardinals make sense.
Scheme fit, as he already knows pretty much what Vance Joseph wants to run, and VJ certainly knows how to use Watt. That defense should be at least in the top ten, and if most everything goes right, top 5.
Then they have Mayfield, Hopkins and the rest of an offense that may also push the top ten.
That division is going to be one of the toughest in the NFL.
Knowing Watt, I think he likes the challenge (when his team is also highly competitive).
The Cards should have a better team all around then the Texans ever had.

Watt can't be with the Buccs, Chiefs, nor Packers because those teams are up there against the cap.
Tom Brady gets to chase a ring while earning top dollar; I don't think I saw anybody complaining about it. :swatter:

Back