Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ has asked to be released

I’ll miss JJ dearly. The Texans screwed up not getting a trade but it’s a chunk off the cap. This organization never knocks it out the park when it comes to decisions like this so I’m not surprised to see it happen this way.

Hopefully NC uses the cap space wisely.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can name more than five to ten players on the Texans right now. But at least you can't say the Texans aren't interesting. LOL
Lmao man I'm the same way. Have no clue who these guys are anymore. What a dumpster fire

Yep,

This was the mistake I was talking about at the time. You could've probably gotten a 4th or 5th Rd pick for him plus the cap rollover.

I can't believe they gave DW4 what he wanted at the deadline ( no trades) Those extra picks for Watt/WFV sure would come in handy this off-season

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.

I can see Earl hasn't learned the lesson yet.

His contract hit was to big for any real contender team to sign him so the only team that could afford his current contract would be another bottom of the barrel team.
I appreciate JJ, but the fact is he is not a $17.5M player. The only teams willing to over pay him like that are the ones that have no business doing so.

I'd say his high end is $12M/yr, low end $8M.

My frustration is I have felt for about 3 years we should have offloaded him for a late 1st or 2nd rounder.
Last year was the first he played a full season. No one was giving up a 1st or 2nd & take his contract with his injury history.

I hope he plays his butt off in the future. Stays healthy & win a Super Bowl.

But the way the Texans managed his health, no way we'd have gotten a 1st or 2nd in the last three years.

What happens now isn't a NC decision. It's a McNair decision.

BTW, I don't remember where but I thought this would be the likely outcome.

Good news is the cap situation just got a whole lot better.

Time to continue to clean up the mess.

do you know the magnitude of the cap situation? If it’s substantial then I would say folks (not saying you) should wait to see who that may allow us to pick up. Saying we got nothing for making this right, classy move is too early to call.

I’m not even upset at OB anymore and I’d imagine JJ had moved past that as well. The way this franchise has crumbled in every aspect is bigger than him.

One thing that you hear on some other sports forums (that irks me) that you haven’t heard around here in a while is “so you think you know better than the experts, you should have been a GM”....

I guess people just suppose maybe joe blow with an opinion just might have a better plan than the so called experts down there.

JJ Watt becomes another great player who was let down by this ill-run organization. JJ stated in his video that he sat down with the McNair family and came to a mutual agreement for his release, not Caserio. He then went on to thank everyone including the folks that Easterby managed to kick out.

I want Watt to pick his next destination and finally enjoy getting the Super Bowl shot he should've been able to enjoy in Houston.

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, and many more leave the City of Houston as legends.

JJ Watt becomes another great player who was let down by this ill-run organization. JJ stated in his video that he sat down with the McNair family and came to a mutual agreement for his release, not Caserio. He then went on to thank everyone including the folks that Easterby managed to kick out.

I want Watt to pick his next destination and finally enjoy getting the Super Bowl shot he should've been able to enjoy in Houston.

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, and many more leave the City of Houston as legends.
That's what happens to aging players with large contracts and little to no dead money on the books, with Hopkins being the exception to the rule.
Players with JJs status talk to owners if they want to. JJ has no history with Caserio, so why talk to him?

Another stupid Texans strategic blunder. We get NOTHING for HOFer Watt that still has at least a little time left in the league. We should've traded him about 3 years ago when he had a much higher value - like a 1st or at worst 2nd rounder. Aren't we supposed to be "Patriots South" - that's what Belichick would have done. They waited sooo long to do anything with him that teams called their bluff on giving anything because they HAD to either trade or cut him with their cap and overall team situation. This is exactly why we will never win a Super Bowl. GD its hard to be a fan of this team.
Do we want to be New England / Bill Belichick or not?

HEB's gonna need some new football stars to peddle their groceries. Maybe our new QB? :lol:
The new commercial will feature Jack Osteensterby falling to his knees and thanking god for the combo deal
Of the week coupon that gets you a free pack of chorizo in the shape of the cross with the purchase of each pack of Trojan magnums.

So is there any future cap hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watt was due to earn $17.5 million in 2021, which would also be the final year of his contract. He has no guaranteed money remaining on the deal, so the Texans clear the entire amount. They entered the offseason a projected $13.4 million over the cap, per Over The Cap, so this move quickly helps their situation.

This team..........

They should open up the stadium to 100% capacity, at this point every fan should be wearing a paper bag over their head not just a mask.

Probably the only way you fill the stadium to the 25% capacity by taking away any restriction.

Good for JJ! :swatter:

Glad the Texans did not trade him to some crap team for a low pick that they will probably blow anyway.

I hope he goes to a contender. That'll be the team that I'll live vicariously through in 2021 because the home team is absolute garbage for the foreseeable future.

Sure, he isn't a young buck any more by dlineman standards, but the value of Watt is his work ethic and leadership - he will make any team he joins instantly better.
Not forgetting to mention his knowledge of the game.

You're letting your fandom overrule your business sense. JJ's value to Houston and the Texans was a 2nd round if not a 1st. His value to the other 31 teams was much, much smaller. Work ethic and leadership are all well and good but you still have to be able to stay on the field and the last 3 years thats been hard for JJ to do. Granted a lot of that is because he pretty much was the defense but you're only as good as your last game. Hopefully he can sign a nice, prove it deal with a playoff caliber team where he adds to the defense rather than is the defense.

I appreciate JJ, but the fact is he is not a $17.5M player. The only teams willing to over pay him like that are the ones that have no business doing so.

I'd say his high end is $12M/yr, low end $8M.
There were only 11 D-linemen (both interior and edge) rated higher than JJ last year .

There were about 24-25 of them who got paid more than him last year.

Watt was underpaid.

JJ’s release won’t net Texans picks but it does offer salary cap relief.

Guessing he didn’t want to restructure, why would he, and this was the high ground.

JJ has been THE example of what’s right in the league. Cant wish him nothing but the best. I will continue to support his career. Sorry for wasting your career and health in Houston. Hope the money makes up for it.

So they mutually agreed to part ways. Does that mean they released him? So no trade, no picks . . . . .nothing . . . .in return . . .

Yes that's exactly what it means and just what I predicted .... His contract was too much to trade.

I think we coulda got a high 2nd for him.

Not a chance in hades , that's why he was released.

$17.5m was just too big a cap hit for anyone to take on.

So is there any future cap hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No cap hit , there was no guaranteed money.

Watt was due to earn $17.5 million in 2021, which would also be the final year of his contract. He has no guaranteed money remaining on the deal, so the Texans clear the entire amount. They entered the offseason a projected $13.4 million over the cap, per Over The Cap, so this move quickly helps their situation.

I said several weeks ago that this was the probable outcome because of the cap situation.

Watt's $17.5 was the one contract that could help clear the decks for the coming year.

What’s the likelihood he did it himself to avoid any possible meddling from Jackie boy?

do you know the magnitude of the cap situation? If it’s substantial then I would say folks (not saying you) should wait to see who that may allow us to pick up. Saying we got nothing for making this right, classy move is too early to call.

Agreed but if they would have traded him at the deadline, they would've gotten what you're talking about now, plus the cap rollover and a draft pick.

How far are the Texans over the cap now that they've released Watt.

Yes that's exactly what it means and just what I predicted .... His contract was too much to trade.

Not a chance in hades , that's why he was released.

$17.5m was just too big a cap hit for anyone to take on.
Agreed but if they would have traded him at the deadline, they would've gotten what you're talking about now, plus the cap rollover and a draft pick.

How far are the Texans over the cap now that they've released Watt.
true but that’s water under the bridge. As far as trading him now instead of releasing him, he asked for his release, not a trade.Texans, IMO they did the right thing here. BTW, when you say draft pick are you talking about from a trade? so maybe all they lost is a late rounder vs doing JJ right. I guess comp picks don’t apply in these situations?

Knew this day was coming for a long time.

Doesn't make it easier.

Thanks for everything JJ. Literally the only reason I kept watching these last 7 years was out of loyalty for what this man did on and off the field.

I'm forever hateful toward Bill O'Brien for wasting JJ Watt's time with us. Pure, virulent, unadulterated hatred.

He should have retired a Houston Texan.

He should have won titles here and very well could have if it wasn't for the terrible coach we wasted 7 years of our existence here.

If he was a piece of **** like all the other people in this league he would have beaten O'Brien to an incapacitated state and gotten him fired well before. But he didn't. Loyalty and honor almost to a fault.

Alas, I guess some things just never work out the way they truly could have.

Pretty sure he's the last athlete I'll ever feel strongly about. Which is sad. A death of a personal era and time too

Last edited:
Anyone else absolutely love his comment about getting boo'd on draft night? Lol..

It was pretty rough and he's never ever ever forgotten that and it's hilariously great that he just couldn't resist mentioning it on his way out.

Thought it was awesome...but in light of what’s going on with this team currently, it shows just how little fans know and how obnoxious fans are sometimes. And I say that as a fan who didn’t boo when we picked him...but I wasn’t at all a fan of the pick either.

true but that’s water under the bridge. As far as trading him now instead of releasing him, he asked for his release, not a trade.Texans, IMO they did the right thing here. BTW, when you say draft pick are you talking about from a trade? so maybe all they lost is a late rounder vs doing JJ right. I guess comp picks don’t apply in these situations?

The reason JJ asked for his release and the Texans agreed to it was because both sides knew there was literally no deal to be had. No team was going to give the Texans draft pick compensation for a player that they knew had to be a cap casualty.

Lets look at the facts -

The team isn't a contender.

The team is well over the cap for the coming year.

JJ is in the final year of his deal that has no dead money - every cent is cap clearing.

JJ's value is reduced due to a multitude of issues - the greatest of which is covid economics affecting the cap. For the first time in the salary cap era , the cap is going to be reduced. He's not worth $17.5m to any team in the league right in 2021 with a $180m cap.

Half of the league has negative cap space and just about every contender falls into that category.
2021 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac

The writing was on the wall as soon as we realized the Texans cap situation was as poor as it is and that they were in the middle of a rebuild. JJ was the first cap casualty - it was going to happen whether he asked for it or not.
There should be several others who get released too , they just aren't of the magnitude of JJ. Those include McKinney , Martin , Both Johnson RB's and probably Cooks who also accounts for no dead money. These , along with Watt were players we identified as cap several weeks ago.

It just makes financial sense.

Does it matter if they released him or traded for player/picks? Net has been zero return regardless.
God bless JJ Watt and hope he wins a Super Bowl before he hangs up those hall of fame spikes :wesmantexanfan:
Nobody is about to hand over picks to the Texans. Especially not for a guy past his prime who is due to become a free agent after this season. With that said, I hope he joins the GOAT down in Tampa. JJ deserves a ring!

Back