Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.
When (if) Clowney returns can one of Mercilus or Reed switch to ILB. Cushing seems to be the weakest link right now.

I don't know about that... those guys replacing Cush? I doubt they'll do any better in pass coverage situations.. 8 don't think they're any more athletic than Cush in that regard & neither has shown to have his instincts or that burst to get behind the LOS... I liked the idea of replacing Cush with Reed 8 Cushing were hurt & we had Sharpton & Mays... but right now I like Tarpinian & Tuggle better than moving one of those guys inside.

Now on pass rushing, blitzing situations. .. sure.

I don't know about that... those guys replacing Cush? I doubt they'll do any better in pass coverage situations.. 8 don't think they're any more athletic than Cush in that regard & neither has shown to have his instincts or that burst to get behind the LOS... I liked the idea of replacing Cush with Reed 8 Cushing were hurt & we had Sharpton & Mays... but right now I like Tarpinian & Tuggle better than moving one of those guys inside.

Now on pass rushing, blitzing situations. .. sure.
I was watching Cushing very closely in a many plays on Sunday and he's in really bad shape. His running style looks awkward as if something is not right. I'm not sure he should be on the field right now.

ILB needs addressing in the off season.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
However, Jadeveon Clowney's PLAN is to practice all week & play Sunday. He's heard the criticism, but still plans to be smart about it.

This is NOT a report that Clowney is a go for Sunday. He doesn't know how the knee will react to increased work / intensity this week.

Note 2: Clowney is still dealing w/ pain in his knee when he cuts. He plans to push it all week & be a go vs Tenn if there is no setback...

Because this is how you want the head coach (or any other decision maker) of a 3-3 NFL team to think?

No, of course not. I prefer my leaders to be completely delusional and continually blow smoke up my a$$. Like sprinkling powdered sugar on a turd and trying to convince me it's a delicious jelly doughnut made special, just for me. Are you an Obama voter by any chance?

We should wait another few games just to make sure. It's not as if we need him to help us in the play offs or anything. This season is a wash. It's a tune up season for next year.

Careful there Thorn. Some people think the Texans are on their way to the AFCCG and believe this kind of thinking is for losers.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Clowney said he's ready that knee is sore but "I'll push through it."
edit/add:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Jadeveon Clowney ready to play after missing 6 games: "I'm the best I'm going to be this season. Take it & go out here & play football now"

So, Doc... how wise is this in this situation?

If it hurts when he cuts, is that something to push through or is that a signal you're moving too fast and need to slow down and give it more time?

As a doctor, how would you handle this? Let the kid decide, take the decision out of his hands, something else?

Last edited:
Interesting.

This would be in direct contradiction to what the guy has been telling JB.

I don't disagree with the angle that Braddock was saying Clowney wouldn't go. All the superflous crap about players thinking he's a diva and this and that seems like media narrative.

Our entire LB corps has been a weakness this season. It doesn't appear it's going to be much better this week. Cushing's out, Reed's hurt and now Tarp.

We'll have Mercilus, Simon (ankle) and Clowney (huge ?) as our OLBs. Our ILBs if Tarp can't go will be Mohamed, Tuggle and Dent.

I don't think Bullough's ready yet, but might as well bring him up to see what he can do.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 1h1 hour ago
Brooks Reed status is really up in the air. He may not play this week. Jeff Tarpinian has a partially torn PCL. Status in question.

Losing Brooke is addition by subtraction, can't imagine it'd be hard to find someone else to get pushed around and not do anything. Same goes for Cushing.

Our entire LB corps has been a weakness this season. It doesn't appear it's going to be much better this week. Cushing's out, Reed's hurt and now Tarp.

We'll have Mercilus, Simon (ankle) and Clowney (huge ?) as our OLBs. Our ILBs if Tarp can't go will be Mohamed, Tuggle and Dent.

I don't think Bullough's ready yet, but might as well bring him up to see what he can do.

Welp, subtract Simon from that list

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 12m12 minutes ago
Texans OLB John Simon has a high ankle sprain and will be OUT this week. Darryl Morris also has a high ankle sprain and will be OUT again.

Jadeveon Clowney said today, "I will start on Sunday at Tennessee."

So stay tuned... Up to the, sigh, coaches...

Now if Ryan Mallett makes the start also I'd be excited for the first time in a long time with this team.

Told y'all before the draft that Clowney had some lazy in him. Steve Spurrier pretty much told us all that.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

edit/add:

So, Doc... how wise is this in this situation?

If it hurts when he cuts, is that something to push through or is that a signal you're moving too fast and need to slow down and give it more time?

As a doctor, how would you handle this? Let the kid decide, take the decision out of his hands, something else?

I'm getting more and more the feeling that Jadeveon may be playing sooner than he should, not because he is ready (or HE feels he's ready), but rather because as a naive rookie he feels what seems to be an inordinate amount of pressure from fans, Texans personnel and media to get back. Injuries that may seem to be very similar don't have SET timelines for return. That's why when studies are reported that are reported with a statistical mean (average) or median (middle) with accompanying RANGE which may extend significantly beyond the mean and median.

If the initial report of his injury is accurate (although we know that a lateral meniscus injury can be not uncommonly accompanied by other injuries), I'm not so worried that he will "reinjure" his meniscus..........I would be VERY concerned that due to the pain, he changes his mechanics (especially when trying to cut) and ends up with a COMPENSATORY injury the puts the coup de grace to this season.......or beyond.

I'm getting more and more the feeling that Jadeveon may be playing sooner than he should, not because he is ready (or HE feels he's ready), but rather because as a naive rookie he feels what seems to be an inordinate amount of pressure from fans, Texans personnel and media to get back. Injuries that may seem to be very similar don't have SET timelines for return. That's why when studies are reported that are reported with a statistical mean (average) or median (middle) with accompanying RANGE which may extend significantly beyond the mean and median.

If the initial report of his injury is accurate (although we know that a lateral meniscus injury can be not uncommonly accompanied by other injuries), I'm not so worried that he will "reinjure" his meniscus..........I would be VERY concerned that due to the pain, he changes his mechanics (especially when trying to cut) and ends up with a COMPENSATORY injury the puts the coup de grace to this season.......or beyond.
And that compensation will further exacerbate the issue that you believe he has with his hips. That could get ugly.:toropalm:

We are going to risk a #1 pick that many said could be a franchise player on a team that is not even average to justify the pick? Of course, as he runs forward after the QB, no opponent will block him forcing him to take a lateral step, so what is he worried about?

You're funny when you're angry. You were wrong, deal with it.

I was wrong about Jarron Gilbert. Glad to see you finally stopped beating that dead horse. Little early to be saying who was wrong about Bortles. I only bring him up since you did and will you again and again and again. I beginning to believe that is your MO. I still contend that Bortles will be a better QB than any QB on the Texans roster, so we will see but it's still to early to tell. Let me remind you of two things, the all time leader in TD passes Peyton Manning led the league his rookie year in INTs with 28 and only won 3 games. Second I have yet to see a QB who hasn't thrown an INT. Even YOUR All Time 10 best QBs, they all threw INTs. BTW I have a new name and QB for you beat on and bring up for the next 5 years, Shane Carden. Keep Trolling, deal with it or NOT.

...I still contend that Bortles will be a better QB than any QB on the Texans roster, so we will see but it's still to early to tell...

Calm down Nostradamus. That's your prediction? The 3rd overall pick in the draft is going to be better than a 10 year journeyman, a guy that hasn't played since college, and a guy that hasn't played in 2 years? You sure have a keen eye there.

Blake Bortles! Blake Bortles! Blake Bortles!

:rake:

Now as to what Spurrier said, when asked did Clowney do was he was expected to do, Spurrier paused and then said yeah he was OK. (Translation: he really didn't make an extra effort and only did what he had to do) Spurrier quickly qualiified that statement with a follow up saying, but he certainly was not like Lattimore, Quarles and those guys (Translation: he didn't put in any extra time or effort or work extra hard and certainly not the first in last out, more likely the opposite.) Spurrier said it, not me, so deal with it.

Calm down Nostradamus. That's your prediction? The 3rd overall pick in the draft is going to be better than a 10 year journeyman, a guy that hasn't played since college, and a guy that hasn't played in 2 years? You sure have a keen eye there.

Thank You, don't you wish you did?

Let me remind you of two things, the all time leader in TD passes Peyton Manning led the league his rookie year in INTs with 28 and only won 3 games.

This is true. It should be noted they had him slinging the ball a ton and his int% was much lower than Bortles' is at this point.

This is true. It should be noted they had him slinging the ball a ton and his int% was much lower than Bortles' is at this point.

Not quite Cak, Peyton's first 5 games he had 12 INTs, 6 games he had 14 INTs. Bortles first 5 games he has 10 INTs. Peyton had 169 attempts his first 5 games and Bortles has 174 attempts his first 5 games. That equates to Peyton having an INT every 14 attempts to Bortles having an INT every 17 attempts.

(notice how I responded cordially without any name calling, bullying or in your face attitude?)

Not quite Cak, Peyton's first 5 games he had 12 INTs, 6 games he had 14 INTs. Bortles first 5 games he has 10 INTs. Peyton had 169 attempts his first 5 games and Bortles has 184 attempts his first 5 games. That equates to Peyton having an INT every 14 attempts to Bortles having an INT every 18 attempts.

What I meant by so far was his percentage may go down over the rest of the season but your way works too (although Bortles has 174 att.)

Uggghhhhhhhhhh

Isn't there a Bortles thread that you can quarantine Texian to so we know where that bullshit is spewing and we can avoid it?

Now as to what Spurrier said, when asked did Clowney do was he was expected to do, Spurrier paused and then said yeah he was OK. (Translation: he really didn't make an extra effort and only did what he had to do) Spurrier quickly qualiified that statement with a follow up saying, but he certainly was not like Lattimore, Quarles and those guys (Translation: he didn't put in any extra time or effort or work extra hard and certainly not the first in last out, more likely the opposite.) Spurrier said it, not me, so deal with it.

You left out the part where Spurrier said "but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has." Indicating that perhaps Lattimore, Quarles and Gilmore needed all that extra effort just to be average. How are their pro careers going by the way? Is all of that "extra effort" paying off for them?

Lattimore spent last season on injured reserve recovering from a second major leg injury in three years.

Melvin Ingram missed a chunk of last season before rehabbing back to the field. A hip injury forced the Chargers outside linebacker to be placed on injured reserve this season with a designation to return. He is eligible to play again this season but cannot practice for at least six weeks and must miss at least seven games. At the very earliest, he'll be sidelined until Nov. 16

Looks like even men who have "great work ethic" suffer injuries. How weird! To hear you talk all you gotta do is give that extra effort and you are on your way to a healthy career and the HOF.

Last edited:
I was wrong about Jarron Gilbert. Glad to see you finally stopped beating that dead horse. Little early to be saying who was wrong about Bortles. I only bring him up since you did and will you again and again and again. I beginning to believe that is your MO. I still contend that Bortles will be a better QB than any QB on the Texans roster, so we will see but it's still to early to tell. Let me remind you of two things, the all time leader in TD passes Peyton Manning led the league his rookie year in INTs with 28 and only won 3 games. Second I have yet to see a QB who hasn't thrown an INT. Even YOUR All Time 10 best QBs, they all threw INTs. BTW I have a new name and QB for you beat on and bring up for the next 5 years, Shane Carden. Keep Trolling, deal with it or NOT.

I never busted on you about Gilbert. I should have, but you weren't as vocal about it. I think quite a few people are just tired of the shtick. You beat the drum saying "I warned you guys! I warned you! Clowney is going to be a bust! Bortles was the answer!" when we have absolutely no control over the draft. Clowney has played all of a half of football, give it time to play out. I was simply throwing the same shtick back at you about jumping to conclusions and you called me a troll then cried about name calling. Bortles is probably going to be a good qb, it's going to take a while to play out though. Just like it will take time to evaluate the Clowney pick. I was simply rustling your feathers and you flew the coop...

Uggghhhhhhhhhh

Isn't there a Bortles thread that you can quarantine Texian to so we know where that bullshit is spewing and we can avoid it?

I think you're referring to Nate who keeps bringing up Bortles in the Clowney thread.

I never busted on you about Gilbert. I should have, but you weren't as vocal about it. I think quite a few people are just tired of the shtick. You beat the drum saying "I warned you guys! I warned you! Clowney is going to be a bust! Bortles was the answer!" when we have absolutely no control over the draft. Clowney has played all of a half of football, give it time to play out. I was simply throwing the same shtick back at you about jumping to conclusions and you called me a troll then cried about name calling. Bortles is probably going to be a good qb, it's going to take a while to play out though. Just like it will take time to evaluate the Clowney pick. I was simply rustling your feathers and you flew the coop...

as you like to say Nate....deal with it! You've admitted that your intent was to agitate, provoke and irritate, isn't that what a troll does?

Nate I know you're not a troll. In fact you are one of few that I know who reads most of my posts. Not only that but you can quote my posts from 2 years ago. Not many readers can do that. You really have to be one of my biggest fans. And to that I say Thank you and thanks for reading and please, keep reading.

Last edited:
This team needs a spark right about now, something to get the players fired up after loosing 4 of the last 5 games. Maybe Clowney can be that spark, maybe he's the guy who could have made the difference in those close games and put us over the top. He can't do anything for this below average offense but he can improve the defense and maybe that will be enough to get this team back to winning games.

This team needs a spark right about now, something to get the players fired up after loosing 4 of the last 5 games. Maybe Clowney can be that spark, maybe he's the guy who could have made the difference in those close games and put us over the top. He can't do anything for this below average offense but he can improve the defense and maybe that will be enough to get this team back to winning games.

Turnovers. We need the defense to give our anemic offense as many short fields and easy scoring opportunities as possible. He could very well be a spark...I hope he is.

(holds envelope to temple)

Dread-Head: Christina Hendricks, Dolly Parton, Sofia Loren, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sofia Vergara, Kayla Kleevage, Yoko Mitsugane http://ameblo.jp/yokomatsugane and JaDaveon Clowney.

Texan-Bill: Christina Hendricks, Dolly Parton, Sofia Loren, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sofia Vergara, Kayla Kleevage, Yoko Mitsugane http://ameblo.jp/yokomatsugane and JaDaveon Clowney

(Dread Opens envelope)

Dread-Head: Name eight ENORMOUS busts

Link

He's no doctor, but ...

When O'Brien was informed after practice that Clowney said he thought he would be able to play, he smiled and said, "I'm glad he thinks he's ready to go.

"Dr. Clowney, he stayed at a Super 8 last night or a Holiday Inn, whatever that commercial is."

Then, O'Brien admitted Clowney's knee has improved.

"I wouldn't say he's 100 percent sure for Sunday, (but) as I look at it right now, I would say he definitely has a chance to play," he said. "We're going to have to see how he does (Friday and Saturday)."

When Clowney returns, O'Brien knows what the coaches want to see from him.

"His conditioning level," he said. "You have to be aware of that (since) he hasn't played in a while. I think running straight ahead isn't a problem.

"When you're coming off an injury like that, how are you cutting? How's your explosion when you push off the knee? What I've seen in practice so far is that it's getting better in all those areas."

Prediction: Inactive

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney: "I think he's got a good shot to play this week." O'Brien said he would be on a pitch count.

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"He did what he had to do this week. I think he has a good shot to play on Sunday."-O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney.

Wow so much hate in this thread! I realize his injury history is rough, especially for someone who was drafted first overall, but can we see the kid play a legit amount of NFL snaps before we label him a bust?

From the small sample size I saw from training camp and preseason, there's no denying he can be a game-changer on defense. It's something the Texans haven't ever had from the OLB position since they switched back to a 3-4.

All I'm saying is he wears the right laundry when he steps onto the field, so let's root for the guy. Too much pessimism for a player that hasn't had the opportunity to show what he's got. There could be a lot of Texans fans here eating crow when it's all said and done.

Link

When Clowney returns, O'Brien knows what the coaches want to see from him.

"His conditioning level," he said. "You have to be aware of that (since) he hasn't played in a while. I think running straight ahead isn't a problem.

"When you're coming off an injury like that, how are you cutting? How's your explosion when you push off the knee? What I've seen in practice so far is that it's getting better in all those areas."

Prediction: Inactive

Funny, when I wrote that OB seemed to have given a pompous response to the question he was asked........what do you expect to see before Clowney's ready to get out there?.........he essentially answers the same question now.

Wow so much hate in this thread! I realize his injury history is rough, especially for someone who was drafted first overall, but can we see the kid play a legit amount of NFL snaps before we label him a bust?

Legit amount of NFL snaps? How long will that take at a rate of one quarter every seven - or eight - games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back