Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should wait another few games just to make sure. It's not as if we need him to help us in the play offs or anything. This season is a wash. It's a tune up season for next year.

What the **** are you talking about? We're 3-3 and it's Week ****ing SEVEN.

Good grief.

Good grief.

The man is being realistic. We aren't making the playoffs. This is a crap division so there won't be a wild card coming out of the south and unless Andrew Luck gets hurt we aren't going to win the division either. This is a QB driven league and the guy that we have at the wheel is Ryan Fitzpatrick.. wake up.

The man is being realistic. We aren't making the playoffs. This is a crap division so there won't be a wild card coming out of the south and unless Andrew Luck gets hurt we aren't going to win the division either. This is a QB driven league and the guy that we have at the wheel is Ryan Fitzpatrick.. wake up.

Actually being a crap division helps us. The WC is based off of standings and not what division you're in.

Okay that's all well and good, but to declare the season "a wash" when we're 3-3 instead of 0-6 is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when, as you say, we're in a crap division so four wins against the Titans and Jaguars would mean we'd probably have to win two other games out of six other ones and guaranteed we'd be at least in the hunt for the Wild Card. At the very least it would be meaningful football right down to Week 16 and 17, and frankly, given where we were last year, I'd be good with that.

Beating the Steelers tonight would do ****ing wonders for that.

Yes, I know the end game isn't competing for the playoffs and it's to win a Super Bowl and blah blah yada yada whatever whatever. Declaring a season over before the seventh game has even kicked off when you're 3-3 is nonsense and a horrendous mentality.

Truth

But the fan in me still says they can win 10 games.

Did you see how crappy the Bengals/Browns looked yesterday? I sure hope the Texans get to play a Green-less Bengals team.

Truth

Did you see how crappy the Bengals/Browns looked yesterday? I sure hope the Texans get to play a Green-less Bengals team.

IF we can sweep the Tacks and the Jags that's 4-0. All we need to do is get 3 wins somewhere else, and that's 10 wins. Bengals? Browns? Can we beat the Ravens? Can we freaking win in Indy?

ESPN countdown just reported hearing Clowney tell the trainer he wants to go

We should wait another few games just to make sure. It's not as if we need him to help us in the play offs or anything. This season is a wash. It's a tune up season for next year.

Overall, I agree with what you're saying. I don't agree that this season is a wash, or a tune up. I believe this season will set the tone of O'Brien's tenure. Are we going to do everything in our power to win, or are we going to be ok with "moral victories"?

If Clowney can't go, he can't go. But he's not the only one injured on this team.

Again, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play if any of the things CnD suggests are true. If he can't cut, because the knee isn't strong enough. If he's experiencing abnormal pain.

But if it's "just" in his head, if the knee has been there everytime he's asked it, but he's cautious.... he should play.

Brett Kollmann @BrettKollmann · 1h 1 hour ago

For clarification, I do not know if the coaching staff saying "no" to Clowney was in reference to playing tonight.

Brett Kollmann @BrettKollmann · 1h 1 hour ago

It's possible that the coaches saying no was in reference to starting or even playing every snap. Still could see limited time.

Brett Kollmann @BrettKollmann · 48m 48 minutes ago

Listening again to Clowney during warm ups, he REALLY wants to play. If it were up to him, he'd be starting.

Brett Kollmann @BrettKollmann · 47m 47 minutes ago

Still up in the air if the training staff will let him play even limited snaps, let alone start. He's determined to get on the field though.

Brett Kollmann @BrettKollmann · 47m 47 minutes ago

Also slight clarification on earlier tweet, Clowney said he told "coach" he was ready to play. Might not specifically mean Bill O'Brien.

Kollman is a worthless twitter follow.

Truth

I drink as much koolaid as the next guy. More than some. But I'm not even looking that far ahead. For me, it's not that we are 3-3 that gives me hope, but that we had the ball on a game winning drive to end two other games before shooting ourselves in the foot.

Props to the Cowboys & Colts, but we did that to ourselves.

I honestly was looking forward to being 5-1 right now, that didn't happen. Still, if we can win two of the next three before the bye, 5-4, with seven games to go, I'd feel a whole lot better about 9-7.

For me, that starts tonight. The Steelers look vulnerable & right now, beating the Steelers & Titans is easier to see than beating the Titans & Eagles.

Then there's that. Game film's out. People know who's who & what's what... game planning is about to take on a whole knew meaning & the pretenders will be separated from the contenders.

No, I don't think we're contenders yet. But I think (hope) we can be.

Overall, I agree with what you're saying. I don't agree that this season is a wash, or a tune up. I believe this season will set the tone of O'Brien's tenure. Are we going to do everything in our power to win, or are we going to be ok with "moral victories"?

If Clowney can't go, he can't go. But he's not the only one injured on this team.

Again, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play if any of the things CnD suggests are true. If he can't cut, because the knee isn't strong enough. If he's experiencing abnormal pain.

But if it's "just" in his head, if the knee has been there everytime he's asked it, but he's cautious.... he should play.

I say the season is a wash because we simply don't have adequate players to win a super bowl. So what if we make the playoffs? I mean that's great and everything, but we've been there and done that and this team isn't going to win an AFC Championship game this season. It just isn't.

So, that to me, is a wash. Perhaps that isn't the version of "wash" others are thinking of, but it's my version. I been watching the Oilers, Gamblers, and Texans since the mid 60s and until we win a damn super bowl every season is a wash. :mad:

He's officially inactive.

I guess just hold him out until after the bye week.

And Thorn, your definition of "wash" is horrendous. We went 2-14 last year. Everyone should be nutting over themselves to compete for the playoffs this year. You can't win a Super Bowl if you can't contend for the playoffs, ok?

My definition of "wash" is excellent, if I do say so myself. LOL

I know what you are trying to say, and yeah, it'd be great to see some real live improvement and contention for a playoff spot this December. That would make the season exciting sure, but without a trophy, it's an exciting season AND a wash.

And don't try and argue with me, you know how I am.

Kollman is a worthless twitter follow.

For clarification, I do not know if the coaching staff saying "no" to Clowney was in reference to playing tonight.

It's possible that the coaches saying no was in reference to starting or even playing every snap. Still could see limited time.

Listening again to Clowney during warm ups, he REALLY wants to play. If it were up to him, he'd be starting.

Still up in the air if the training staff will let him play even limited snaps, let alone start. He's determined to get on the field though.

Also slight clarification on earlier tweet, Clowney said he told "coach" he was ready to play. Might not specifically mean Bill O'Brien.
ESPN countdown just reported hearing Clowney tell the trainer he wants to go

Interesting.

This would be in direct contradiction to what the guy has been telling JB.

finally someone who gets its this, is year one in the Bob Era. And on top of that this is Houston sports we don't do a, one year turn around like Kansas City or indy .... lol.

I say the season is a wash because we simply don't have adequate players to win a super bowl. So what if we make the playoffs? I mean that's great and everything, but we've been there and done that and this team isn't going to win an AFC Championship game this season. It just isn't.

One of the things I love about this game, is that you never know. 9-7 teams backing into the play offs, then winning the Super Bowl. Rookie QB & coaches making it to back to back AFC Championship games. Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl.

I'd like for Jj Watt to win the MVP. Won't happen if he can't take us to the play offs.

I'd like for Aj to be a first ballot HOFer, a big game in the play offs will help & let's be honest, he's only got so many more opportunities.

There is absolutely no reason Arian Foster & Jj Watt can't take us to a Super Bowl... we'll, if we make it to the play offs that is.

Interesting.

This would be in direct contradiction to what the guy has been telling JB.

Honestly, I can't take those Braddock comments seriously. I know it happens, but I just can't imagine a player let alone an nfl rookie that would rather not play. And then having teammates call him out so quickly and vrabel. He'd have to be so obviously healthy and refusing to play for all those people to start calling him out. That stuff didn't add up to me.

One of the things I love about this game, is that you never know. 9-7 teams backing into the play offs, then winning the Super Bowl. Rookie QB & coaches making it to back to back AFC Championship games. Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl.

I'd like for Jj Watt to win the MVP. Won't happen if he can't take us to the play offs.

I'd like for Aj to be a first ballot HOFer, a big game in the play offs will help & let's be honest, he's only got so many more opportunities.

There is absolutely no reason Arian Foster & Jj Watt can't take us to a Super Bowl... we'll, if we make it to the play offs that is.

If Clowney returns 100% and becomes a wrecking ball playing next to Watt, given our schedule, we could very well make the playoffs this year. I'm hoping that's the case. But this is a very incomplete team. If Clowney lives up to his potential, along with Watt and our running game, and somewhere a fricking QB, yeah, I can see us making serious noise. But that that's with a QB we haven't seen play yet and Clowney kicking ass.

finally someone who gets its this, is year one in the Bob Era. And on top of that this is Houston sports we don't do a, one year turn around like Kansas City or indy .... lol.

You can't be upset with the mediocrity that's been Houston Texans football & be ok with shutting down & getting ready for next season this soon. That attitude breeds mediocrity.

Jj Watt is going out there to win the game today. It would help him if he had Clowney with him. (again, I'm not talking about rushing Clowney back, if he's ready, he's ready).

Win this game, win the next game & we're 5-3 halfway in..

Kansas City is 3-3 right now, the Colts are 4-2... if you are what your record says you are & we're 3-3... 4-3 if we win, I think we're well on our way to being like KC & Indy. We may not win 11 games like they did, but we should be just as competitive.

Good grief.
Bottom Line:
Fitzpatrick is still the starting QB. Until that's fixed the season is doomed.

Clowney can't even finish drills
DRILLS!!
What damage will he do - or will be done to him - with 300-lb linemen pushing him directions his body cannot go in drills with no opposition?

Good to see the organization come to their senses here (if it was ever in doubt that is) no way you play him. We have to think of the long term with players like Clowney. Other guys just have to step up, Clowney coming back too early only would be devastating to the kids psyche. He's already had enough injuries as it is.

Honestly, I can't take those Braddock comments seriously. I know it happens, but I just can't imagine a player let alone an nfl rookie that would rather not play. And then having teammates call him out so quickly and vrabel. He'd have to be so obviously healthy and refusing to play for all those people to start calling him out. That stuff didn't add up to me.

I'm going to talk to him about all of this. One thing I know is he's not irresponsible. Doesn't add up.

But this is a very incomplete team.

I guarantee you there will be a very incomplete team in one of the Conference Championship games. Happens every year... or almost every year. The play offs are where legends are made. Your David Tyree, Joe Flacco, Larry Fitzgerald making up for all the holes on that team, or heck... Jacoby Jones making up for all the holes on that team.

We'll never be perfect, we'll never not have a hole or two. That's not the point. It's about finding a bunch of guys playing above what they are. Playing to be great.

Now if we were the Jags... it would be different. We're close enough to be able to do more than 6-10.

Mercilus ought to have a career game. The Steelers have been preparing for Jd all week.

It's like when you're expecting the fast ball & they throw the change-up.

Bottom Line:
Fitzpatrick is still the starting QB. Until that's fixed the season is doomed.

Clowney can't even finish drills
DRILLS!!
What damage will he do - or will be done to him - with 300-lb linemen pushing him directions his body cannot go in drills with no opposition?

Doomed to what?

So, that to me, is a wash. Perhaps that isn't the version of "wash" others are thinking of, but it's my version. I been watching the Oilers, Gamblers, and Texans since the mid 60s and until we win a damn super bowl every season is a wash. :mad:

This is exactly how I feel. This isn't going to be the yr. Would I like them to make the playoffs? Yes, Would I like to see if Mallett/Savage are future at QB more? Yes

Doomed to what?
until and unless Futz gets his act together, this season is doomed to mediocrity

Fitz has sufficient weapons around him but it seems to take at least a quarter, if not a half, for the offense to get cracking.

Having to come from behind all the time doesn't seem like a recipe for success or a ticket to the playoffs to me.

Just before the game (read bottom to top):

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 5h 5 hours ago

Head trainer Geoff Kaplan and team doctors give their approval. If they don't, the player doesn't play. That's the way it's been and will be

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 5h 5 hours ago

FYI: No Texan plays without the approval of head trainer Geoff Kaplan. He signs off on them. The coaches never force a player to play.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 6h 6 hours ago

With Clowney not playing, other pass rushers will have to step up and take pressure off Watt.

The Texans will be wise to keep Clowney out to give him another week to get ready. No need to rush him when he doesn't feel confident.

Clowney has finished running. I haven't changed my opinion: I don't expect him to play. It should be official soon.

Clowney left the field, went to the tunnel, sat for a couple of minutes and then went into the dressing room.

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith · 6h 6 hours ago

Clowney just ran near full speed. Winded. "(Gosh darn)."

There's six sprints across the field for Clowney. If nothing else, at least he's getting in shape, right?

Clowney just ran his fourth sprint across the field. Now he's trudging back to talk with Kaplan and Dr. Lowe.

I've said all week I'll be surprised if Clowney plays. He didn't have a full practice and says he has problems laterally. Why risk it?

Then he ran across the field again. Now he's walking back. If a guy has to be tested before a game, he's not 100 percent. So why risk it?

Clowney just ran from one sideline to another. Now he's talking with Vrabel.

Now Clowney is going sideways. At a third of his usual speed. He said last week he's having trouble moving laterally.

Dr. Walter Lowe, trainer Geoff Kaplan and LB coach Mike Vrabel are watching Clowney closely.

Clowney is doing some running drills on the field. Cameras are shooting him second.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 21h 21 hours ago

RT @DoughertyDrew: "That'll be a competition."-O'Brien on Clowney and Mercilus playing time when Clowney returns.
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 21h 21 hours ago

RT @DZangaro: O'Brien says before the game Clowney didn't think he could cut like he needs to be able to. Said he'll practice this week.

Meh, I don't expect to see him play this season. Still have bone spurs to deal with? We're reaching rock bottom if we're anticipating an injured rookie to help us start winning games.

Meh, I don't expect to see him play this season. Still have bone spurs to deal with? We're reaching rock bottom if we're anticipating an injured rookie to help us start winning games.

Wouldn't really comp him with other rookies.

He looked really good against the 1's in preseason.

We shall see.

When (if) Clowney returns can one of Mercilus or Reed switch to ILB. Cushing seems to be the weakest link right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back