Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jacoby's Gotta Go/**UPDATE**Released

I'm sorry, Jacoby deserves every single ounce of blame he got and continues to get for his mistake in the Baltimore playoff game. Was it, 100%, the entire reason we lost? Of course not. But he absolutely deserves to be skewered for it, and I have and will continue to do so for a long time to come. He managed to do, by far, one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever seen a supposed "pro athlete" do in my life. It was a thoroughly killer and unaffordable mistake.

You guys can go on and on and on about how it was early in the game and this and that, but fact is that going into their house, owning that first drive, putting points on the board, getting a defensive stop, and a chance to get the ball back and put more points on the board against a team that generally struggles to put points up is huge.

Instead, he commits the inexcusable blunder, we gift them field position, they get 7, and immediately the momentum an inexperienced, hobbled team like ours needed is gone. Immediately, we gift them 7 points in a game where we KNEW points would be valuable. Waste. A ****ing WASTE.

Then Yates makes another stupid mistake, and there's 7 points right there too. After those two IDIOTIC plays, we held them to six FREAKIN' points the rest of the way. Abso-****ing-lutely DOMINATED the game. But our offense failed, as we knew it might considering the circumstances of our squad. Shame on our offense for not being able to take advantage of 3-and-out after 3-and-out.

So yes, gifting that 7 points off the Jacoby blunder (we need a harsher word what he did) is just....unfathomable. A rookie QB on the road in a playoff game is an obvious pick to do stupid **** and make horrendous throws, and Jacoby should have known this. A great, experienced defense is tough as hell to score on, especially when they're at home, on a "last-hurrah" run in the playoffs, and Jacoby should have known this. Jacoby should have known where he was on the field. Jacoby should have known not to try to pick the damn ball up. Jacoby should have known. But he didn't. And it ****ed us good.

He also deserves to be skewered for a bunch of other failures in his pro career. Everyone talks about the fumble, but how about the utter incompetent trash he was in the Oakland game last year? Wasn't he targeted something like 12 or 13 times and only caught ONE ball in that game? Killed us in that game. Absolutely killed us. And we could have totally used that damn win.

Freakin' pathetic. I'm glad he's gone. Utter trash.

/rant

hahahaha

:overreact:

You're still mad at that kid that pushed you off the swings when you were 4, aren't you?

Ah yes, because I have a very strong opinion on something, that must mean JUST that.

Whatta joke. Only slightly less annoying than when you make a strong opinion about something and someone says "Damn why are you so riled up? Go get laid or something man!"

No, sorry. It is thoroughly acceptable to be colorful and fiery about something. Especially about occurrences in a game we could have and should have won. Don't you get it? We could have been in the freakin' Super Bowl this past year. New England would have been a pretty damn favorable matchup in the AFCC.

In this league, you strike while the iron is hot because the opportunity could completely fade away from you. So excuse me if I'm a little pissed at people on the team responsible for letting that opportunity slip away.

Enough of that nonsense.

Ah yes, because I have a very strong opinion on something, that must mean JUST that.

Whatta joke. Only slightly less annoying than when you make a strong opinion about something and someone says "Damn why are you so riled up? Go get laid or something man!"

No, sorry. It is thoroughly acceptable to be colorful and fiery about something.

Enough of that nonsense.

There's a difference between a strong opinion and over-reaction. I based my comment on this:

I'm sorry, Jacoby deserves every single ounce of blame he got and continues to get for his mistake in the Baltimore playoff game. Was it, 100%, the entire reason we lost? Of course not. But he absolutely deserves to be skewered for it, and I have and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

*shrug* whatever, I just think that you are going a bit overboard.

I'm sorry, Jacoby deserves every single ounce of blame he got and continues to get for his mistake in the Baltimore playoff game. Was it, 100%, the entire reason we lost? Of course not. But he absolutely deserves to be skewered for it, and I have and will continue to do so for a long time to come. He managed to do, by far, one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever seen a supposed "pro athlete" do in my life. It was a thoroughly killer and unaffordable mistake.

You guys can go on and on and on about how it was early in the game and this and that, but fact is that going into their house, owning that first drive, putting points on the board, getting a defensive stop, and a chance to get the ball back and put more points on the board against a team that generally struggles to put points up is huge.

Instead, he commits the inexcusable blunder, we gift them field position, they get 7, and immediately the momentum an inexperienced, hobbled team like ours needed is gone. Immediately, we gift them 7 points in a game where we KNEW points would be valuable. Waste. A ****ing WASTE.

Then Yates makes another stupid mistake, and there's 7 points right there too. After those two IDIOTIC plays, we held them to six FREAKIN' points the rest of the way. Abso-****ing-lutely DOMINATED the game. But our offense failed, as we knew it might considering the circumstances of our squad. Shame on our offense for not being able to take advantage of 3-and-out after 3-and-out.

So yes, gifting that 7 points off the Jacoby blunder (we need a harsher word what he did) is just....unfathomable. A rookie QB on the road in a playoff game is an obvious pick to do stupid **** and make horrendous throws, and Jacoby should have known this. A great, experienced defense is tough as hell to score on, especially when they're at home, on a "last-hurrah" run in the playoffs, and Jacoby should have known this. Jacoby should have known where he was on the field. Jacoby should have known not to try to pick the damn ball up. Jacoby should have known. But he didn't. And it ****ed us good.

He also deserves to be skewered for a bunch of other failures in his pro career. Everyone talks about the fumble, but how about the utter incompetent trash he was in the Oakland game last year? Wasn't he targeted something like 12 or 13 times and only caught ONE ball in that game? Killed us in that game. Absolutely killed us. And we could have totally used that damn win.

Freakin' pathetic. I'm glad he's gone. Utter trash.

/rant

I agree!

Jacoby's good plays while he was her can be counted on 1 hand. While his boneheaded plays are several handfuls.

The game totally changed with that fumble.

I agree!

Jacoby's good plays while he was her can be counted on 1 hand. While his boneheaded plays are several handfuls.

The game totally changed with that fumble.

You know it was all in the player's minds. They were glaring at Jacoby. Like about to attack. Meanwhile, Jacoby sits on the bench with his neck sticking out. And the thing is, Jacoby was so nervous that he almost fumbled the next punt and Andre had to tell him to calm down.

No, sorry. It is thoroughly acceptable to be colorful and fiery about something. Especially about occurrences in a game we could have and should have won. Don't you get it? We could have been in the freakin' Super Bowl this past year. New England would have been a pretty damn favorable matchup in the AFCC.

In this league, you strike while the iron is hot because the opportunity could completely fade away from you. So excuse me if I'm a little pissed at people on the team responsible for letting that opportunity slip away.

Enough of that nonsense.

Bravo!!! One of the things I think we miss in our world today is people who have strong feelings and are willing to take a stand on them. Rep

Bravo!!! One of the things I think we miss in our world today is people who have strong feelings and are willing to take a stand on them. Rep

Maybe...

the problem with going into full-blown, transmit rant mode is that you stop listening.
when you stop listening you stop learning. And that cannot be a good thing.

Wouldn't it be awesome if a head coach, after a player makes a really BAD play like Jacoby did, has the player go into the locker room (during the game) and put on a Ravens uniform and come sit on our bench in Ravens gear.

As if to say "You are the Ravens' most valuable player. Thanks for all you do...for them."

I think THAT would be the harshest thing you could ever do to a football player, to make them wear the opposing team's colors as a stark visual of what he just did on the field. LOL.

I used to defend Jacoby so much, but the entire 2011 season was like that final David Carr season...you just have undeniable proof that the project is over.

My first ever Texans game was last year's Oakland game. We needed Jacoby to stand up and deliver a GOOD performance. He didn't have to be all-world, he just needed to catch passes and move the chains. But he didn't. His routes were awful, his hands were stone, it was singularly the most underwhelming feeling I have had as a Texans fans...and there's been a lot of 'em to choose from.

I don't think Jacoby was ever the same player after he got pancaked (seperated shoulder) sideline after long return a few years ago. He was on a nice upwards trendline, then missed time & played w/fear that point on, still Texans resigned him to that nice fat contract last offseason.

^^^^
This

Along with alocohol problems are what turned Jacoby from a young WR with promise into an underachieving veteran.

It can be argued that the bone headed move by jones started a domino effect.

Up until that point the game looked very winnable.

You are a vet. An established player in the league. You have a rookie at qb and you go and do that?

Sorry, but that was a huge momentum swing in the game that we never quite recovered from. He pretty much took away an offensive possession and spotted them 7 points.

He deserves all the blame he gets for that particular play.

Sorry, that was 5 minutes into the first quarter. That play was over & done before either team settled into "their game" If our team can't overcome a bad play in the first 5 minutes of a game, they don't need to be in the play-offs.

I hear what you're saying about momentum & everything, but the truth of the matter is that games are won & loss in the 4th qtr, not the first, unless it's a blow-out, which that game was not. & no one in their right mind expected us to go up to Baltimore & blow the Ravens out @ M&T Bank where they rarely lost.

To get out with a win was the goal & we had plenty of opportunity to do that in the 4th in spite of Jacoby's muff.

I sport a Jacoby avatar (soon to be changed), I liked the kid, & would have preferred he stayed on the team.

But this goofyness, about blaming Jacoby for that loss is the same goffyness that has our fans thinking we've got the inside track to the Super Bowl.

But this goofyness, about blaming Jacoby for that loss is the same goffyness that has our fans thinking we've got the inside track to the Super Bowl.

Who blamed jacoby for the loss?

I haven't seen that.

Jacoby was a major factor in the loss. Period. His mistake was huge.

And I know you like jacoby, but to basically excuse away his mistake by saying games are won and lost I'm the 4th quarter is ridiculous.

Like what happens 5 mins into the game doesn't matter. Yeah right. That was a huge game changing play and it changed the complexity of the game.

Instead of a team that was playing with a lead we became a team playing catch up from that point on.

Instead of being a team that was composed and measured we became a team with chinks in the armor that was mistake prone and rattled.

No one is saying that you can't overcome earlier mistakes. The point is that a multi year vet made a crappy, terrible, awful decision that directly led to 7 points, a shift in momentum and us playing from behind.

I will not listen to anyone that says that wasn't a huge factor (maybe THE biggest factor) in our loss. When you play team sports you feed off of everything that goes on around you. Jacoby got their crowd into it, probably rattled our guys a little at the time and got the Baltimore players hyped up.

And we can point to Yates int's but Tom Brady threw 3 picks AT HOME the next week if my memory is correct. And one of Yates int's was early (so I guess it's like he didn't really throw one to you....I kid), one was late in the game on a third and long and the last one was when we were trying to force the ball down field.

Yates didn't have a good game by any means. But I didn't expect him to. I expected jacoby to be at a point in his career where he wasn't making boneheaded decisions like that.

Sorry, that was 5 minutes into the first quarter. That play was over & done before either team settled into "their game" If our team can't overcome a bad play in the first 5 minutes of a game, they don't need to be in the play-offs.

I hear what you're saying about momentum & everything, but the truth of the matter is that games are won & loss in the 4th qtr, not the first, unless it's a blow-out, which that game was not. & no one in their right mind expected us to go up to Baltimore & blow the Ravens out @ M&T Bank where they rarely lost.

To get out with a win was the goal & we had plenty of opportunity to do that in the 4th in spite of Jacoby's muff.

I sport a Jacoby avatar (soon to be changed), I liked the kid, & would have preferred he stayed on the team.

Actually, games are won and lost through plays and incidents that can happen at any point during any game. So, like the stupidity that people spout that, for example, a bad call in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter cant affect the outcome of a game, equally stupid is the notion that a bad play in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter, cant affect the outcome of a game.

Like it or not, things that are important happen. And everything has consequence. Thinking that only the 4th quarter matters is utopian, idealistic fallacy.

Wouldn't it be awesome if a head coach, after a player makes a really BAD play like Jacoby did, has the player go into the locker room (during the game) and put on a Ravens uniform and come sit on our bench in Ravens gear.

As if to say "You are the Ravens' most valuable player. Thanks for all you do...for them."

I think THAT would be the harshest thing you could ever do to a football player, to make them wear the opposing team's colors as a stark visual of what he just did on the field. LOL.

I used to defend Jacoby so much, but the entire 2011 season was like that final David Carr season...you just have undeniable proof that the project is over.

My first ever Texans game was last year's Oakland game. We needed Jacoby to stand up and deliver a GOOD performance. He didn't have to be all-world, he just needed to catch passes and move the chains. But he didn't. His routes were awful, his hands were stone, it was singularly the most underwhelming feeling I have had as a Texans fans...and there's been a lot of 'em to choose from.

To me the bolded part says everything. Fans have known for awhile Jacoby's just was, for one reason or another, make that final turn. To this this shows the danger of a coach having "his guys" at any cost. I really hope this is the last time we see this fromGary and can move forward with e understanding of it has to be measured at some point by production on the field.

I do have to agree with Beerlover though, it does seem like he was never the same player after that shoulders injury after the punt return.

Actually, games are won and lost through plays and incidents that can happen at any point during any game. So, like the stupidity that people spout that, for example, a bad call in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter cant affect the outcome of a game, equally stupid is the notion that a bad play in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter, cant affect the outcome of a game.

Like it or not, things that are important happen. And everything has consequence. Thinking that only the 4th quarter matters is utopian, idealistic fallacy.

eh.... things happen throughout the game that affect the outcome. Granted.

But it's just like life. So what if you screwed up & did not apply yourself through high-school. If you were a tweaker or a junkie doesn't determine who you will be tomorrow. Let's call those years the first quarter. Second quarter, you get your stuff together get a bachelors degree, then go on through law school. 4th quarter you can have a nice career & retire comfortably.

But if you're hung up about mistakes you made in high school, instead of focusing on the next play you can blame that 1st quarter performance all you want. It's still what you did in the 4th qtr that sealed your faith.

Sure, sometimes you can dig yourself a hole that is too big to climb out of in the time you've got...... 60 minutes in the case of a football game. But that is not what happened in the first 5 minutes of the Baltimore game.

To me the bolded part says everything. Fans have known for awhile Jacoby's just was, for one reason or another, make that final turn. To this this shows the danger of a coach having "his guys" at any cost. I really hope this is the last time we see this fromGary and can move forward with e understanding of it has to be measured at some point by production on the field.

I do have to agree with Beerlover though, it does seem like he was never the same player after that shoulders injury after the punt return.

Really?

For the last two years, we used 4 of our first 5 draft picks on defense for obvious reasons, 3 out of 5 the year before. Since Jacoby has been here we've brought in receivers from Andre Davis to Bryant Johnson. Last year we signed Juaquin Igleshia, Jeff Mahel, & LeStar Jean....... I think they've been trying to replace Jacoby, or at least find a #2 WR from the beginning. However, the defense has been the bigger issue & they've been addressing that accordingly.

Remember, we signed, cut, then re-signed David Anderson because or our issues at WR.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Former Texans WR Jacoby Jones reached agreement with the Ravens on a two-year, $7 million deal, per league source.

They probably signed him as a thank you gift for spotting theme 7 early points in the playoffs.

Former Texans WR Jacoby Jones reached agreement with the Ravens on a two-year, $7 million deal, per league source.

They probably signed him as a thank you gift for spotting theme 7 early points in the playoffs.

This amazes me. The Ravens more than anybody should know what JJ is capable of. Wow.

Wow.

I don't...

Wow.

This explains a lot.

I kinda thought he'd fit the Ravens. I suspect he'll make a place for himself there.

Seeya in the playoffs, Jacoby!

Didn't we already have 3 points before that?

This amazes me. The Ravens more than anybody should know what JJ is capable of. Wow.

I guarantee you he won't be returning punts for them.

He was in it for the Ravens from the beginning. I call shannigans. So does these guys:

images

Holy crap TK. I'm amazed at how deep your love for Jacoby runs.

The Ravens game was a defensive, smash mouth football game. The way you win those games is by controlling the clock, building a small lead, and maintain that lead. We had already scored when Jacoby made the single biggest screw up in Texans history. We had the chance to get the ball back, keep momentum on our side, and march down and score again. If we had scored on that drive, I'd give us about a 75% chance of winning that game.

You really don't seem to understand how you beat a defensive team like the Ravens. You simply won't make big plays against them or run up the score. In a game like that, every single possession counts and turning over the ball will spell your doom. Instead the Ravens got the ball and scored a TD thus turning the game from being in our favor to being in their favor.

Wake up and stop the man love for Jacoby Jones. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

will you just let it go..really its time.. move this thread to the NFL section..

Absolutely NOT!!! Jacoby's boneheaded plays (the Baltimore muff, errrr two muffs not withstanding) are akin to the ref's boneheaded calls in Pittsburgh (circa 1979 ((Oldtimers correct me on the year)))...

They both cost this city and our team a win.... The only difference is that the refs in Pittsburgh bone-headed call is that the Oilers were behind to begin with. Jacoby's jackassery turned a 3-0 lead (this after the Texans "D" forced a three and out on Baltimore's first possesion of the game) to a 7-3 Ravens lead.... This when you're starting a rooking QB where you need to play with a lead and not try to play from behind!!!

Thanks Jacoby!! Good riddance to a guy that had 5 or 6 years to "get it" and never did... :rolleyes:

BUT good luck!!! :fingergun:

But it's just like life. So what if you screwed up & did not apply yourself through high-school. If you were a tweaker or a junkie doesn't determine who you will be tomorrow. Let's call those years the first quarter. Second quarter, you get your stuff together get a bachelors degree, then go on through law school. 4th quarter you can have a nice career & retire comfortably.

But if you're hung up about mistakes you made in high school, instead of focusing on the next play you can blame that 1st quarter performance all you want. It's still what you did in the 4th qtr that sealed your faith.

Sure, sometimes you can dig yourself a hole that is too big to climb out of in the time you've got...... 60 minutes in the case of a football game. But that is not what happened in the first 5 minutes of the Baltimore game.

from my knoweldge life is a lot longer than 60 minutes, and u dont have a 53 man roster helping determine how ur life will play out. Terrible example

We scored (3) stopped them and then got the ball back, he made a bone headed play the easily get a score. With Schaub in the game would of still been managable no doubt, but the circumstances were different. We had a rookie playing an away play-off game, against one of the best defenses.

A war is not lost due to one man, unless that one man sets off an atomic bomb while surrounded by his own men.

Lemme put this in perspective for you, Jacoby spotted the Ravens 75 yards on that muffed punt and put them on the 2 yard line, which led to one of two TDs they scored that day. The Ravens offense only totaled 227 yards on the day.

The Ravens offense had 4 offensive drives the entire game that amounted to more than 10 yards. The longest drive of the day for the Ravens was 59 yards, which ended in a turnover on downs at the goalline.

The Ravens offense had EIGHT 3 and outs in only 13 possessions.

Ray Rice, one of the best RBs in the game averaged 4.7 YPC in the regular season. In that game he had 2.9 YPC.

They couldn't do much at all on offense. The Texans D was shutting them down, and had they not been given 7 points at the beginning of the game, we would have had the lead by 3 in the 4th (or possibly tied) and used Foster to run out the clock. Instead, Yates was trying to force the ball to AJ, which lead to two late INTs. Jacoby's mistake completely changed our offense in the 4th, and forced Yates to play from behind, which lead to more mistakes. There is no question the game is completely different if he lets that ball go. There was about a 60% chance that the following Ravens possession would have resulted in a 3 and out instead of a TD.

They couldn't do much at all on offense. The Texans D was shutting them down, and had they not been given 7 points at the beginning of the game, we would have had the lead by 3 in the 4th (or possibly tied) and used Foster to run out the clock. Instead, Yates was trying to force the ball to AJ, which lead to two late INTs. Jacoby's mistake completely changed our offense in the 4th, and forced Yates to play from behind, which lead to more mistakes. There is no question the game is completely different if he lets that ball go. There was about a 60% chance that the following Ravens possession would have resulted in a 3 and out instead of a TD.

The Ravens needed 3 downs to score from the 2yard line LOL. Texans D was really great, Jacoby's boneheaded play completely changed the momentum around.

Holy crap TK. I'm amazed at how deep your love for Jacoby runs.

The Ravens game was a defensive, smash mouth football game. The way you win those games is by controlling the clock, building a small lead, and maintain that lead. We had already scored when Jacoby made the single biggest screw up in Texans history. We had the chance to get the ball back, keep momentum on our side, and march down and score again. If we had scored on that drive, I'd give us about a 75% chance of winning that game.

You really don't seem to understand how you beat a defensive team like the Ravens. You simply won't make big plays against them or run up the score. In a game like that, every single possession counts and turning over the ball will spell your doom. Instead the Ravens got the ball and scored a TD thus turning the game from being in our favor to being in their favor.

Wake up and stop the man love for Jacoby Jones. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I think hiring Frank Bush as DC is a much bigger mistake than what JacJo made that day. And I'm sure there were many more mistakes that were made that had a bigger impact than costing us a single playoff game.

It's not man love for JacJo, it's simply accepting that our loss that day wasn't because of just one man. The problem is that it seems most of you refuse to accept that and want to pin a majority of the blame on JacJo.

They couldn't do much at all on offense. The Texans D was shutting them down, and had they not been given 7 points at the beginning of the game, I, like most of everyone else here, am making the assumption that we would have had the lead by 3 in the 4th (or possibly tied) and used Foster to run out the clock.
FTFY

I think hiring Frank Bush as DC is a much bigger mistake than what JacJo made that day. And I'm sure there were many more mistakes that were made that had a bigger impact than costing us a single playoff game.

It's not man love for JacJo, it's simply accepting that our loss that day wasn't because of just one man. The problem is that it seems most of you refuse to accept that and want to pin a majority of the blame on JacJo.

FTFY

Child please. They won by 7, Jacoby gave them 7. It's really simple math, unless you want to blame the defense for giving up a TD from the 2. We needed 4+ points in the 4th, which is why Yates kept throwing so much. If we were just going for a FG to tie or take the lead, the entire offense would have played differently. No way do those last two INTs happen if we are down by 3 or less. It's a whole different ball game and it takes a lot of pressure off Yates.

Oh, I see. So we were definitely going to score, no matter what. There's no chance that anything else could've happened. I beat A, A beat B, B beat C, thus I can beat B and C. Flawed logic.

Back