Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jacoby's Gotta Go/**UPDATE**Released

joy.gif

tumblr_lpf8ersJmS1qbvhuc.gif

Jacoby Jones hadn't muffed a punt in 2 seasons until that punt in B-more. If you think that cost the Texans the game, you are mistaken. Those 3 TJ Yates picks and the Rackers FG miss cost them in the end. Jacoby was a scapegoat for the fans.

I see a lot of people saying this to try to defend Jacoby. True he hasn't muffed a punt in a long time, but everyone knew it was coming. How many times has he bobbled a punt within those 2 years, how many times has he tried to catch a punt that bounced in traffic in those 2 years. I've seen it way too many times, plus I remember a muffed punt that Jacoby had which wasn't one because of some strange rule where the tackler had to give Jacoby a chance to catch his bobbled punt.

I can understand that. But, Walter has taken more snaps as the #2 WR & he's no closer to replacing Andre when he's out. Walter isn't out there screwing up punt returns... I get that too, but that's because Jacoby is better at it than Walter is.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jacoby better than Walter & if it were me making the decision, I'd go with the kid from Lane college. But we don't need both of them on this team. If they decided to go with Walter... fine.

But, in one off-season, three of my Jerseys have become useless. Mario, Demeco, & Jacoby (yes, I do own one).

When you have great defense and great run game you take the reciever that can block and does'nt make stupid mistakes.

I can understand that. But, Walter has taken more snaps as the #2 WR & he's no closer to replacing Andre when he's out. Walter isn't out there screwing up punt returns... I get that too, but that's because Jacoby is better at it than Walter is.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jacoby better than Walter & if it were me making the decision, I'd go with the kid from Lane college. But we don't need both of them on this team. If they decided to go with Walter... fine.

But, in one off-season, three of my Jerseys have become useless. Mario, Demeco, & Jacoby (yes, I do own one).

Walter took a $1.5 Million salary cut to stay on the roster this year, so it's not like the Texans are sending out signals of their undying love for him either.

FYI, after the salary cut Walter will make $1 Million less than Jacoby was scheduled to make this season.

Walter took a $1.5 Million salary cut to stay on the roster this year, so it's not like the Texans are sending out signals of their undying love for him either.

FYI, after the salary cut Walter will make $1 Million less than Jacoby was scheduled to make this season.
I don't think anyone thinks that Walter is a NFL #1wr. He's a no-nonsense blocker that does a good job chipping and blocking the second level players. He's where you expect him to be when he runs routes too. He's certainly replaceable, but Jones isn't the player he is and its just a shame...but Walter is maximizing his talent while Jacoby is underachieving. That's how it goes.

Anyone else find it a coincidence that JJ gets released when Gaffney got released?

This. According to McClain's tweet we lost $500k by not waiting to release him after June 1st. So must be trying to sign Gaffney.

In other news..:hurrah:

This. According to McClain's tweet we lost $500k by not waiting to release him after June 1st. So must be trying to sign Gaffney.

In other news..:hurrah:

They lost $500k for cutting him today but had they waited till June 1 the price would have went up but they could have spread it over this year and next ..... its done and over with , no dead money from this contract next season.

Dutch explained it on page 45 I believe ....

They lost $500k for cutting him today but had they waited till June 1 the price would have went up but they could have spread it over this year and next ..... its done and over with , no dead money from this contract next season.

Dutch explained it on page 45 I believe ....

And since Washington RELEASED Gaffney, it wouldn't mess with our compensatory picks either if we did sign him. Any list of available veteran FA? Curious what's out there right now better than Gaffney?

I agree that Jacoby was invisible last year. But what did him in was that muff. Kubiak could have brought Jones back without the muff. He wouldn't have deserved it, but he most likely would still be a Texan. But, there was no way he could bring back Jones after that fail. The crowd would have been on Jacoby the minute he hit the field.

I'll tell you what... I completely knew he was getting cut but I was also stunned we actually did him in. Kubiak and Smith have both publicly supported Jacoby, even in the Baltimore postgame comments. It was not until Smith's presser when I knew Jones was going to be gone one way or another. It was actually extremely subtle but at the same time, deafening. This organization isn't known for being that frank.

Rick Smith said:
Smith
(on if drafting Keshawn Martin means Jacoby Jones won’t be returning anymore and a possible change of scenery coming) “No, I think there were reports out there that we were attempting to trade Jacoby. Jacoby is still on our football team. We did not trade Jacoby. You’re always entertaining any kind of phone calls that you have over the course of a draft. We do our due diligence that way, but he’s still on our team. It does not signal the end of anything at this point. What we were trying to do is add quality football players.”

OUCH!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...on-Draft/36d06ded-5c0a-4ce7-aa5a-3c65f51fc196

Jacoby is an athletic guy, but to say he is "a very talented receiver" is a stretch. Dude ran terrible and undisciblined routes is more accurate. That coupled with his dumbass decision making, made him a liability....
We drafted him because he is very talented. Everyone playing in the NFL is very talented. To say Jacoby is very talented is far from a stretch.

I didn't have a problem with his route running. I guess it's a subjective thing (though it shouldn't be).

Concerning his "dumbass" decision making. Surely this begs to question why coach Joe is still around if Jacoby has been the "best" thing we've got for a punt returner over the last 5 years. But then, Jacoby was one of the better punt returners in the AFC in 2011.

I know he's a "good guy' BUT good riddance... That said, I wish him (and his Moms) all the best!!!!

I personally thought they screwed up giving him that big money contract (this goes back to Rick Smith's decisions (the amateur)). Jacoby will make someone a fine #3 WR & if he hooks up with a big armed QB, we'll be hearing his name in the future.

I'm not going to say good riddance, because I prefer Jacoby's outside speed to Walter's sure hands. Especially with OD, Casey & Arian on the field. Nothing against KDub, but he's a #3 slot reciever, doesn't belong on the outside.

But it is what it is.

Some of you are pretty harsh towards Jacoby.

Don't y'all remember the game where he had 10 receptions for over 200 yards? What about the game last year where he bailed Schuab out late in the 4th quarter against the Raiders for the win???

:thinking:

Wait, those things never happened... Nevermind.

Oh man you got me there, Thought my mind was going. I didn't notice the last sentence for like a minute.

Good post.

Jacoby was and still is unrealized potential. As a coach that would be hard to give up on at least untill there was something worthwhile behind him. Rick didnt decieve anyone. He held on to him till the draft trying to get some kind of a return. You might remember those trade rumors began on the second day of the draft. Due dilegence.

As far as Jacoby? He was always as much a threat to the defense as he was our team.

So he thought he could realize trade value for Jacoby but not Winston?

Let's say you've got cut one of those two guys to get under the cap, which one would you cut?

I'm not a big Winston fan, but I know he is closer to a starting RT than Jacoby is to a starting WR. I'd have cut Jacoby to get under the cap & tried to trade Winston by the draft. Even if we're more confident in Butler (you'd wonder why he didn't start once in 2011) & Winston makes it to camp he'd be a better back-up to Butler than Jacoby is to AJ. Then if you have absolutely no interest in a trade for Winston, you go to him about taking less money. He can take it or leave it & we wouldn't be in any worse position than we are right now.

Instead, we lose Mario, Brisiel, Winston, & Jason Allen to the cap so we could keep Jacoby on the roster for 2 months. All but Mario contributed heavily towards our first play-off victory. All of them created holes on our team that has/had to be filled. Instead of Mario, you've got a rookie, instead of Winston, you've got a guy who couldn't earn playing time last season. Instead of Brisiel, we don't know what the heck we've got. Instead of Jason Allen you have everybody's favorite CB (Kareem) taking more snaps.

We drafted him because he is very talented. Everyone playing in the NFL is very talented. To say Jacoby is very talented is far from a stretch.

I didn't have a problem with his route running. I guess it's a subjective thing (though it shouldn't be).

Concerning his "dumbass" decision making. Surely this begs to question why coach Joe is still around if Jacoby has been the "best" thing we've got for a punt returner over the last 5 years. But then, Jacoby was one of the better punt returners in the AFC in 2011.

I personally thought they screwed up giving him that big money contract (this goes back to Rick Smith's decisions (the amateur)). Jacoby will make someone a fine #3 WR & if he hooks up with a big armed QB, we'll be hearing his name in the future.

I'm not going to say good riddance, because I prefer Jacoby's outside speed to Walter's sure hands. Especially with OD, Casey & Arian on the field. Nothing against KDub, but he's a #3 slot reciever, doesn't belong on the outside.

But it is what it is.

AJ------> Talented Reciever

JJ------> Physically gifted with potential (more accurately, unrealized potential)

Some may call that semantics, I call it truth.

They lost $500k for cutting him today but had they waited till June 1 the price would have went up but they could have spread it over this year and next .....

Just because they cut him when they did does not mean it wasn't a June 1st cut. Most likely it wasn't, but the team can designate it a June 1st cut even if they do it before June 1st. I don't know how they classified this one, but if McClain says we lost money...... chances are we hit the lotto.... powerball even.

Some of you are pretty harsh towards Jacoby.

Here is my take on that.

Some of the fans here go way too far. Some of the name calling & insults are uncalled for, IMO. Like you mentioned, he's good people. & we know some of the players & or their relatives at least read this board if they don't participate.

Jacoby screws up.... that's fine, I don't have a problem saying Jacoby screwed up. But to call him a dumbass, or some of the other things said about him... I think it's uncalled for. He's going out there doing his best to try to win a game for us. Yes he has issues, but we shouldn't blame him for the coach putting him out there & in a position to "cost us" a game in spite of those issues. Then, it is just a game.

Like I said before, he hasn't done anything stupid off-field that I know of in well over a year. Like someone else mentioned, he hasn't muffed a punt in two years. And the biggest thing, it is not his fault he has been our best option at punt returner for 5 years.

I don't care to argue with people over their "right" to voice their opinions here on this board. It is their "right" & they can do whatever the mods let them get away with.

But when we start seeing thread titles or newspaper articles questioning if Mario Williams or Demeco Ryans or whoever is taking a shot at Houston fans when they talk about being better appreciated elsewhere, I just shake my head.

Let's say you've got cut one of those two guys to get under the cap, which one would you cut?

I'm not a big Winston fan, but I know he is closer to a starting RT than Jacoby is to a starting WR. I'd have cut Jacoby to get under the cap & tried to trade Winston by the draft. Even if we're more confident in Butler (you'd wonder why he didn't start once in 2011)

Butler was lost for the season in late September. Even if he had been healthy he probably still wouldn't have gotten a start.

A lot of the evaluations are made once the season is over and you've had time to reflect. During the season it's not likely that you're going to make adjustments like that unless the guy is just terrible.

Same thing with Jacoby...He flashed during the season. He had some bad moments of course, but IMHO he is not here anymore because of the fumbled punt return. They couldn't keep him around after that.

After reading this article in the Chronicle today, it makes me wonder if Jacoby's agent was reading this thread.

After the Texans were unable to work out a trade for receiver Jacoby Jones during the draft, agent Kennard McGuire asked general manager Rick Smith to release his client.

Smith could have waited until after June 1 to free up $3 million under the salary cap rather than $2.5 million, but he agreed, placing Jones on waivers and clearing a spot on the roster for one of the young receivers the Texans drafted or signed as undrafted free agents.

“After visiting with Rick, we came to the conclusion that a change of scenery and fresh start would be the best thing for Jacoby,” McGuire said. “There’s a tremendous amount of gratitude for them doing it this time.”

Jones, a third-round pick from Lane College in 2007, had become a controversial figure in Houston. The coup de grace was Jones muffing a punt in the 20-13 divisional playoff loss at Baltimore. Fans and media criticized him. Many blamed him for the defeat.

“Jacoby has done well by the Texans organization,” McGuire said. “He’s won games for the Texans. He’s contributed to the team’s success.

“But I’ve never seen a player more scrutinized and criticized to the level that Jacoby was. It got to a point where I believe it was almost nerve-wracking for him to perform at the level we feel he was capable of performing. He became Public Enemy No. 1, and that’s unfortunate.”

I got all the information now about Jacoby so now I will speak about what I think of his release.
He did good things for us. Even if he made bad plays at PR, he also made some good ones that helped us win games. I think back to the game where Matt Schaub scored the last second TD vs Miami in Reliant. We were in position to win that game because Jacoby made a hell of a return in that game at a time our offense was really struggling.

He had his opportunity this year, as a 5 year vet, to show that he could be counted on as at least a viable #2 option at WR and he didn't deliver. Our passing offense still struggled without Andre Johnson to the point where TJ Yates was looking very vanilla against Indy in a game we should've whooped Indy. That's not all Jacoby but it was evident he couldn't demand half the repsect that Andre or Walter did.

Last off season he got paid to make the above mentioned impact and he didn't deliver that this year, so we couldn't continue to pay a guy who will occasionally make a play at WR or PR when we got 4 or 5 guys who can do the same.

Everyone can blame Jacoby for the muffed punts and to some extent I will too, but I've maintained that a large part of the blame should go to Joe Marciano as well. Here is a player that struggled with muffing punts early in his career and every week or so we continued to see the same player try to make a play off the bounce with a defender in front of his face. That should've never been allowed for that player. NEVER!!!! I understand he was our best option as a PR for this team, but a coach knows to tell that PR not to make those kind of plays, succesful or not, based on that players history. In fact, I recall going back and looking at The Texans Playoff Win vs. Cincy and Jacoby did it not once, but twice and on one occasion almost lost the football. It was no shock to me the next week when it happened again and he was on the losing side of that play.

Anyone else find it a coincidence that JJ gets released when Gaffney got released?

It was just two different teams trying to unload a player trade-wise during the draft, but had no takers. So they were released.

Now, if we end up signing Gaffney, that would be different. But that would shock me to the core.

So he thought he could realize trade value for Jacoby but not Winston?

You have inside information that says we didnt shop Winston? According to 610 this morning Jacoby's agent asked for the trade. And remember your not just trading talent...your trading a contract. Both of these guys had dumb contracts.

Dont get me wrong...I wasnt happy about the Winston cut either.

When Jacoby was drafted -- a talented player from a small school, a project WR -- a lot of us were wary but really wanted him to do well. So we got behind him and rooted for him.

Then he flashed some special ST play that highlighted how good he could possibly be. And that got all our hopes up.

But he had some flaws. He was reckless with the ball. He didn't always make the catch he needed to make while at other times making circus catches. He didn't always run the best routes (and I think he sometimes ran the wrong routes resulting in underthrows and overthrows.)

And so for most of us who had such high hopes for him, it was crushing to see him not develop into the player we all thought he could be. We stopped trusting him. We remembered all those questionable decisions fielding punts, all those muffs, all those drops, all the balls that seemed to not be where he was. So as high as our hopes were for him, that's how low our estimation ended up.

After reading this article in the Chronicle today, it makes me wonder if Jacoby's agent was reading this thread.

“But I’ve never seen a player more scrutinized and criticized to the level that Jacoby was. It got to a point where I believe it was almost nerve-wracking for him to perform at the level we feel he was capable of performing. He became Public Enemy No. 1, and that’s unfortunate.”

His agent must be new to the NFL, much less to Houston.

Maybe the new center Ben Jones will decide instead of a 50'-70's number he wants to be #12 to throw a bone to all of the Jacoby Jones jersey owners. Or maybe the UDFA Jones for NC will end up making the team and want to wear #12...you never know.

His agent must be new to the NFL, much less to Houston.

He's a merchant, and Jacoby is his merchandise. He's only doing his job. Once the merchandise gets damaged, you still try to protect it so that you can sell it at 40% instead of 75% off (or avoid writing it off completely).

Excessive vitriol towards Jacoby is pointless. Vitriol or insults towards his agent is just not understanding how things work.

I knew there was a reason I didn't include him in my depth chart over in the other thread a few days ago.

This was better to have done it now than to wait June 1.

Fresh start for everyone.

Jersey that is almost a 100% "lock" is #80.

You know you're tempting fate by getting any other Texans jersey. #80 is the way to go.

I think #56 and #99 are gonna be staple jersey numbers in the future as well but you never know with these things. #23 has already secured his spot for a while at least, unless he really just tanked CJ2YPC style.

Maybe the new center Ben Jones will decide instead of a 50'-70's number he wants to be #12 to throw a bone to all of the Jacoby Jones jersey owners. Or maybe the UDFA Jones for NC will end up making the team and want to wear #12...you never know.

He's gonna wear 60.

They have the jersey numbers listed on the HT.com site.

Jersey that is almost a 100% "lock" is #80.

You know you're tempting fate by getting any other Texans jersey. #80 is the way to go.

That's a great choice though I think #23, #56 & #99 at this point are pretty safe investments as well. At some point in time, they'll all be obsolete but I think it will be quite some time and probably wear longer than the awesome #80.

Edit: Didn't read down far enough, Ryan is speaking truth. :)

here's how i found out, and my response; all via gmail chat...

him: You finally got your wish.
me: they traded/fired jacoby?
him: Put him on waivers today.
me: finally
the texans board i go to is probably exploding from everyone posting their happiness
i kind of feel badly for him, because he is actually a good guy and a good teammate, he just sucks on the field
him: Ha

obviously he doesn't completely suck, and to a degree, i agree with his agent. jacoby has made things happen/helped kick-start the offense on more than one occasion. and he is one of only a handful of players where their mistakes completely over-shadow their successes, even if the successes were to out-number the mistakes. in our case, i would assume that comes from not having another very reliable receiver. yes, KW and OD can be solid, but they don't really fill-in/replace AJ. And since no one else can really replace AJ, that left JacJo as the default fill-in, setting expectations too high, too soon.

i'm sure people will disagree, but that's what i think.

and this is coming from someone who has wanted to see JacJo go for 4 years now. though, i'll readily admit, most of that animosity was purely reactionary and not logically based

anyway, the most important piece of this post is:

Not that you'll ever read this, but I wish you well Jacoby. I hope you find your fit in the next team you sign with, and I also hope that you're able to bring your game together and turn into a star player. Though, I also hope you don't make us eat crow for letting you go by helping to beat us in a post-season game ;)

Back