Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jack Easterby is gone!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
all of this is still in play b/c of NC & how he handled the cap & it was going to be that way for 2023 despite some of those in here critcizing some of the moves he made...or didn't make with certain FA contracts and/or bad contracts created by the previous regime. None of those moves were going to speed up or slow down the process of straigtening out our cap any faster than it has happened.
Completely missed my point. Too busy waving Pom-poms

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Because most don't remember or count the AFL of early Oilers
Yep. I thought about that so qualified it with the NFL championship. The AFL was a league of 8 expansion teams so hard to really celebrate on the same level as an NFL championship, at least in my mind.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yep. I thought about that so qualified it with the NFL championship. The AFL was a league of 8 expansion teams so hard to really celebrate on the same level as an NFL championship, at least in my mind.
Especially in the first couple of years or so. It would be like celebrating the Birmingham Americans championship in the WFL in 1974.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Especially in the first couple of years or so. It would be like celebrating the Birmingham Americans championship in the WFL in 1974.
Kinda of like celebrating a Super Bowl win prior to the salary cap rules, the player’s right to free agency, and the full 32 team expansion.

Winning a championship in the 70s, 80s and some of the 90s is different than it is today.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Kinda of like celebrating a Super Bowl win prior to the salary cap rules, the player’s right to free agency, and the full 32 team expansion.

Winning a championship in the 70s, 80s and some of the 90s is different than it is today.
Kinda like anything after leather helmets ain't real football

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And yet they forced the NFL into a merger just a few years later
This is true. Don't forget that three of the NFL's teams (San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns and the original Baltimore Colts) came from the All-America Football Conference from the 1940's, as well.

But, in the end, they still called it the NFL, and the NFL only recognizes it's own championships.

I'm not trying to poo on the AFL. It changed pro football for the better. But their intent all along was to join the NFL, not compete with it over time.

Fun talk. Made the Easterchump thread better. :D

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Some people don’t acknowledge the extreme pit O’Brien left us in and expect a quick turn around.

The bounty for Watson will help but that too takes a couple of years to reap the benefits.
BOB and Derrick are the main reasons why this franchise is where it's at today

That and Cal making poor decisions.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not surprised at all because I knew from the get-go the Caserio hire was going to major FUBAR and SNAFU of epic proportions. I think I've been quite clear in my objections to hiring Caserio, and said at the time he would turn out to be just another Belichick admin. AND HE IS.

I was against Caserio hiring David Culley but I can't take much credit for that because everyone in the football world knew this was a major FUBAR. AND IT WAS. I knew when the Texans traded for Marcus Cannon and gave up valuable draft capital for a player who was going to be cut was a SNAFU. AND IT WAS. It also added OVER $6 MM to the Texans' cap instead of the vet minimum had they waited for the Pats to cut him.

When Caserio resigned David Johnson to a $6MM contract I said at the time that was another SNAFU. AND IT WAS.

I said before the season started that Caserio needed to cut B McKinney, D Johnson, Z Fulton, Du Johnson,
B Dunn, trade B Cook, release JJ Watt, and save over $54MM in cap space.

Caserio only had 27 players under contract and instead choose instead to restructure every contract he could. The Caserio restructure of Cooks's contract TWICE made Cooks untradeable. Several of those restructured contracts were cut a few months later. Overall Caserio created over $50MM in dead money so he could sign a bunch of over-the-hill players to 1-year contracts to fill out the 2021 roster.

A fiduciary and a responsible fiscal money manager Caserio IS NOT. I know you keep saying the salary cap is going up and that is true. The problem is Caserio does not know how to balance a checkbook and has no clue how to negotiate a contract. This and the fact that the people who understand the accounting and legal aspects of an NFL contract the Texans fired.

I said at the time Caserio wasted several mid-round 2022 draft picks to sign players like Anthony Miller who were going to be cut and were in fact cut by the Texans weeks/months later. Knowing that the 2022 draft day 2 and day 3 talent was loaded was also a real head-scratcher.

I said at the time drafting Davis Mills was a mistake. AND IT WAS. I said at the time giving up valuable 2022 draft capital to move up to draft Collins was a mistake. AND IT WAS. I said the Texans should've started rebuilding first from the inside out and drafted Quinn Meinerz who is now starting right guard for Denver.

I said at the time, using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players in the 2021 draft was a huge FUBAR and several steps backward, especially for a rebuild. AND IT HAS BEEN.

Caserio's second attempt at hiring his 2nd HC was a bigger circus to watch than his first. It was so bad that Cal, Cal, had to step in to prevent another MAJOR FUBAR.

In the beginning, I was somewhat on board with the Lovie hiring until I witnessed his Backyard BBQ Draft using the "Wheel of Fortune" process with all of the assistant coaches to make draft picks. I knew right then and there that when I said the Texans would piss away the Watson ransom, I was watching it happen right before my eyes and the ransom would be wasted and the ROI would also be a major FUBAR and SNAFU. It's Happening!

So am I surprised that the attempt at a rebuild compares much more favorably to a demolition? No, I am not. The math is adding up pretty much just like I thought it would. Ummm that would mean negative numbers and negative yardage.

You keep using the word REBUILD. I don't think the word REBUILD means what you think it means.
My god that was a long post

The Texans currently have the 3rd lowest payroll in the NFL and the 7rh most cap space.

You consider 5th rd picks and pick swaps to be more valuable than I do

Give me quality of picks over quantity of picks.

Yes Caserio has hit on some things and missed on others.

Mieners starts on a very bad ol, for currently the 2nd worst team in the NFL. I wouldn't be tooting my horn about that pick

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mieners starts on a very bad ol, for currently the 2nd worst team in the NFL. I wouldn't be tooting my horn about that pick
I think it's fair, considering all of the premature horn tooting over the Mills pick. I don't know of anyone that wouldn't trade Miles for Meinerz straight up.

Texian

Hall of Fame
My god that was a long post

The Texans currently have the 3rd lowest payroll in the NFL and the 7rh most cap space.

You consider 5th rd picks and pick swaps to be more valuable than I do

Give me quality of picks over quantity of picks.

Yes Caserio has hit on some things and missed on others.

Well, the Broncos do have 2 of their starting OL (that's 40%, LT, C) on IR and yet they are still able to produce better rushing stats than the Texans. From the looks of things, it looks like Quinn Meinerz will turn out to be a better OG than Kenyon Green. Meinerz is ranked as the 7th best OG in the league with a score of 74.5. While Kenyon Green ranks as the 85th-best OG out of 87 in the league with a score of 35.8.

From PFF.COM
7 Quinn Meinerz DEN 74.5
85 Kenyon Green HST 35.8

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, the Broncos do have 2 of their starting OL (that's 40%, LT, C) on IR and yet they are still able to produce better rushing stats than the Texans. From the looks of things, it looks like Quinn Meinerz will turn out to be a better OG than Kenyon Green. Meinerz is ranked as the 7th best OG in the league with a score of 74.5. While Kenyon Green ranks as the 85th-best OG out of 87 in the league with a score of 35.8.

From PFF.COM
7 Quinn Meinerz DEN 74.5
85 Kenyon Green HST 35.8

One guys been playing hurt, the other hasn't.

Context in stats.

Green was solid before he got hurt.

It's not like Mienertz is playing at a all pro level. He's been solid.

Hopefully Caserio drafts a couple of IOL in the 3rd/4th rd.

Texian

Hall of Fame
One guys been playing hurt, the other hasn't.

Context in stats.

Green was solid before he got hurt.

It's not like Mienertz is playing at a all pro level. He's been solid.

Hopefully Caserio drafts a couple of IOL in the 3rd/4th rd.
Amazing how people forget/overlook that to make their take look better
Meinerz missed 5 weeks with a torn hamstring and is still the 7th best OG. The data don't lie. What else have you got?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Texian

Hall of Fame
How was he as a rookie? Did he have injuries then? How about comparing apples to apples instead of to grapefruit?
Meinerz rookie year grade 67.4 vs Kenyon Green 35.7

The team was able to get really strong contributors at four different positions, with the highest grades coming from Javonte Williams and interior offensive lineman Quinn Meinerz (67.4).

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Meinerz rookie year grade 67.4 vs Kenyon Green 35.7

The team was able to get really strong contributors at four different positions, with the highest grades coming from Javonte Williams and interior offensive lineman Quinn Meinerz (67.4).

Meinerz didn't play half his rookie season injured did he?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If Cal can just remain patient and let Caserio do his job, I think things will workout well.
Cal has literally done 100% the opposite of this regarding Nick. Cal had a DC and a HC waiting for Nick, and then overruled on Gannon and made Lovie HC. Texans are about as far away from 'innovative' on O and D as you can get.

i would like to hear more on how JE messed up the coaching hire. ( that being said I think Lovie was a good choice, short term). Did at that moment NC lose trust in him? All the stories in in the media were mainly about McCown. Listening to that clip Seth talking about how JE was leaking stuff. I never wanted McCown but thought the younger upcoming coordinators were possibilities
He just interfered, leaked fake news about McCown. That's all. Supported Cal in taking the decision out of Nick's hands again, but that's on Cal.

Nick tapped Jonathon Gannon and JG had most of his staff in place. He was telling people he had the gig at the Senior Bowl.

RS did some positive the things But it's been proven you can't win a championship with a guy like RS as your GM. If you want mediocrity then RS is your guy. I feel as if the RS yrs were wasted yrs and meanwhile with Rootes in charge the McNair's did what all billionaires do made more billions by selling mediocrity and this football crazed town, including myself were the suckers in this game of high finance.
Slick Rick is the worst kind of GM. Sells hope, pisses off players, no scouting chops. Andre, Duane, Arian... a lot more hated Slick Rick. Every decision was made to keep him GM the longest, which is why he had to be forced to draft a first round QB after, what? A decade? You'll never win it all with a GM like him.

You know who else is doing that now, although he's not slimy like Rick, is Chris Ballard. He's had talented rosters that, with a QB, could win it all. But Ballard knows the clock on his employment starts ticking when he drafts a first round QB. He hasn't, yet, which is unfortunate for Coltfan.

Yes, Bob McNair wanted to hire Caserio at Bill O'Brien's urging. The Texans also hired Easterby because of O'Brien's recommendation. The demise of the Houston Texans by Bill O'Brien may take most of this decade before the O'Brien infestation is completely exterminated.
Bob was enamored with Caserio long before O'Brien ever entered the conversation. He was talking about him, considering him in 2010. A lot of owners had been. Caserio turned down upwards of 30 GM interviews, and he took a couple. Bob called him the "wonder boy" up in New England... tried to hire him three times that I know of and a friend of Bob's told me four. Cal hired Nick because Bob would've, he just followed dad.

Cal Boy fell head over heels in love with Jack in their first meeting. Jack knew exactly how to push Cal's "less than" buttons, and take advantage of his... gullibility, we'll call it. Jack was Cal's new best friend in literally a day. O'Brien was instantly in trouble when Jack moved into the building, but it took him a while before he figured out there were knives entering his back.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal Boy fell head over heels in love with Jack in their first meeting. Jack knew exactly how to push Cal's "less than" buttons, and take advantage of his... gullibility, we'll call it. Jack was Cal's new best friend in literally a day. O'Brien was instantly in trouble when Jack moved into the building, but it took him a while before he figured out there were knives entering his back.
This is a very interesting analysis of Cal.

What it reveals to me is that he has no instinct about people that is learned through building and running your own company.

If there is one thing I've learned in 40+ years in business, it's learning how to spot potential con artists and snake-oil salesmen. They are everywhere, every day.

Bob probably had that instinct, but Cal is clueless. I expect more dumbassery in the Texans future because of it. No other owner in the NFL would have hired and promoted Easterby like Cal McNair did. That is all on him and certainly indicative of inherent lack of understanding basic human behavior. Gullible is not a trait that elevates an NFL franchise owner.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Cal has literally done 100% the opposite of this regarding Nick. Cal had a DC and a HC waiting for Nick, and then overruled on Gannon and made Lovie HC. Texans are about as far away from 'innovative' on O and D as you can get.

Nick tapped Jonathon Gannon and JG had most of his staff in place. He was telling people he had the gig at the Senior Bowl.
Thanks doc! Always appreciate the information. A few questions if you can answer:

Why did Cal say he was going to take a more active role in the search if Cal overruled Caserio in the last Coach search?

And why did Caserio say he would step away if the new coach wanted that? Is he ready to walk away they easy?

How active of a role is Hannah taking? Is she now the person safe guarding Cal from being gullible and is in de facto control?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thanks doc! Always appreciate the information. A few questions if you can answer:
Why did Cal say he was going to take a more active role in the search if Cal overruled Caserio in the last Coach search?
If you haven't learned from history, you are bound to repeat it. If Cal continues to intercede and has a determinate input in the choice of HC, it will continue the dysfunction of the structure of this franchise............i.e., in a well-functioning organization, once the GM is in place, the choice of the HC is his. Tampering with the organization's basic functional structure, destroys that organization..........as it has already beenhistorically shown to be the result for decades here in Houston.
And why did Caserio say he would step away if the new coach wanted that? Is he ready to walk away they easy?
This statement could have only come down from pressure by Cal. But Cal can turn that on a dime with a little interposition of good advice and common sense.
How active of a role is Hannah taking? Is she now the person safe guarding Cal from being gullible and is in de facto control?
Hannah is a significant influence in bolstering Cal's confidence. I can't tell you that she has had any significant effect in redirection of his choices.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’m thinking Byron Leftwhich turned down the Jags job because of their GM. Caserio is just letting good candidates know that he’s not going to be a problem. If they want him out, he’s not going to stand in the way

Texian

Hall of Fame
I’m thinking Byron Leftwhich turned down the Jags job because of their GM. Caserio is just letting good candidates know that he’s not going to be a problem. If they want him out, he’s not going to stand in the way
The problem with Nick publicly announcing this is he is now fair game for any prospective new HC hire to tell Cal, Caserio will have to go.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Thanks Doc!

Interesting tweet I found about Hannah. Paul Gallant asked the question about Caserio choosing the head coach if he was getting permission from Cal.

You can hear Hannah on the audio saying I can answer that. Gallant said she turned to him and said it jokingly. It is at the 18 or 19 second mark of the video.

This statement says so much…& folks here with an agenda just gloss over it b/c of the preconceived ideas the media is pumping.

In this statement, NC is directly & indirectly telling EVERYONE that he’s not the one screwing this whole thing up.

The whole narrative being pumped about NC’s “tone & confidence” being different in this press conference…..insinuating that he’s been humbled or whatever…..i attribute that more to him being in the uncomfortable position of having to answer for things that weren’t entirely on him…questions from the media that should’ve been directed at Cal…but Cal sorta set him up..read his prepared statement, took no questions, sat down and let NC take all the shots being fired by the media.

Boris

All Pro
Caserio has put all of heart and soul into this job. It is apparent because it sounded like he was getting emotional during his speech of having to step aside if a coach wants him to.

Caserio had had to deal with stuff no owner has had to deal with - Watson trade, Easterby, Cal meddling , and the rise of Hannah.

I think he realizes he is in a losing situation. Cal doesn’t see how he messed up the last Coach search and will take all the credit for the next.
30mil
he knew what he was getting into
courted over multiple years by our org
VERY familiar with Easterby prior to joining

1673410517156.png

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I took what he was saying to mean, I'm only going to interview guys I can work with and if Cal pulls another Lovie on me, I'm out of here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio refers to the owners as Cal and Hannah. I want to say in his Q&A he said it 2-3 times. That tells me something.

I know Janice is the owner.

In all the pressers when Bob was alive I rarely heard Janice’s name at the presser.
Of course not Bob was the owner of the Houston Texans. Janice was a housewife.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Meinerz missed 5 weeks with a torn hamstring and is still the 7th best OG. The data don't lie. What else have you got?
Meinerz came from a small school, virtually unknown, came to Senior Bowl & then blew up so teams had to go back and evaluate his tape. Keynon Green was a known commodity playing in the SEC and ranked #1 interior lineman way before the draft.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Of course not Bob was the owner of the Houston Texans. Janice was a housewife.
I'm guessing he is referring to the fact that there is a minority owner...E. Javier Loya. I didn't dig deep enough to find what the percentages are. There may be as many as nine others who own minority shares (2015). Janice's majority interest is 80%.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm guessing he is referring to the fact that there is a minority owner...E. Javier Loya. I didn't dig deep enough to find what the percentages are. There may be as many as nine others who own minority shares (2015). Janice's majority interest is 80%.
I think he was referring to Janice owning the team and not Cal/Hannah.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Meinerz came from a small school, virtually unknown, came to Senior Bowl & then blew up so teams had to go back and evaluate his tape. Keynon Green was a known commodity playing in the SEC and ranked #1 interior lineman way before the draft.
The difference is Meinerz is a helluva a lot stronger and is better at pass protection than Green. Meinerz was a good 3rd rd pick. Green was a wasted 1st rd pick compound by the fact that they passed on Jordan Davis.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The difference is Mainers is a helluva a lot stronger and is better at pass protection than Green. Meinerz was a good 3rd rd pick. Green was a wasted 1st rd pick compounds by the fact that they passed on Jordan Davis.
Hey Meinerz was impressive during Senior Bowl week practices, didn’t look like your typical NFL modern day lineman, with his Jersey untucked and his belly hanging out but he sure could dig in, drop his hips and sink stopping any bull rush. Had 2nd rd grade on him, which tells me (falling to the 3rd) scouts had same concerns, but no doubt he was media darling that week.

Green is a whole next level offensive linemen who can also kick outside and play tackle, not limited to inside duties although that’s how Texans used him. His strongest trait is run blocking, especially pulling. When fully healthy would love to see next set of coaches expose him to tackle duties, he is far better & more versatile than being given credit for.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Green is a whole next level offensive linemen who can also kick outside and play tackle, not limited to inside duties although that’s how Texans used him. His strongest trait is run blocking, especially pulling. When fully healthy would love to see next set of coaches expose him to tackle duties, he is far better & more versatile than being given credit for.
If Green cannot pass block at LG how is he going to pass block at OT? He doesn't have the strength to anchor a bull rush and he is too slow to be effective against speed rushers. I said at the time Meinerz would be a better pick than Mills, and he is.

Quinn Meinerz (33 225 reps, see below)
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 2+7⁄8 in
(1.90 m)
320 lb
(145 kg)
33+3⁄8 in
(0.85 m)
10+1⁄8 in
(0.26 m)
4.99 s1.73 s2.88 s4.58 s7.54 s32.0 in
(0.81 m)
9 ft 3 in
(2.82 m)

Kenyon Green
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleVertical jumpBroad jumpBench press
6 ft 3+7⁄8 in
(1.93 m)
323 lb
(147 kg)
34+1⁄8 in
(0.87 m)
10+3⁄8 in
(0.26 m)
5.24 s1.76 s3.01 s5.03 s28.5 in
(0.72 m)
8 ft 6 in
(2.59 m)