Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the OL fixed?

Is the OL fixed?

• Total voters
With Devlin working him out,

Do you think this was a Devlin pick?

What's the odds of Devlin being able to coach Howard up to his potential.

This is a Gaine pick. He is big on “measurement ideals” for positions.

Ford didn’t fit those ideal measurement marks. Neither did McGary nor James to be honest(too big for tackle). Dillard fit the parameters fine but Howard has longer arms, bigger hands, and more weight

I was at the NRG draft party. No cheer at all, complete facepalm for not doing something with Dillard at 21/22. Maybe they truly like Tytus. There is a lot to work with but damn, he xould be there for the next 15 picks so find a dance partner or take someone else and trade up later. I was dancing when Taylor and Dillard were on the board, then err, threw my cap and left. Hope I am wrong and a goood story with the kid so wish him and DW4 well

This also is a big hint that Devlin's not going anywhere anytime soon.
I must remember my good manners and pleasant disposition.

No.

Ol still broke. Send more help.

Can I get an OG too ….

I think they'll be "Ok" at OT as long as there isn't a significant injury , if Davenport or Howard struggle , you have Kalil assuming he's healthy. That's better than last year or the year Breno Guacamole played every single snap.

Now if both struggle …. bench Watson so he doesn't get broken.

And it seems clear that OB & Gaine trust Devlin's opinion.

I don't see what Devlin has to do with this.

This guy is talented. This guy has the measurables. This guy doesn't have the holes in his game Dillard does. He has holes for sure.

Maybe we took him 32 spots too early. But we'll never know what would have happened had we passed.

Looks to me like he's a late bloomer, but a bloomer none the less. 6 years ago he was playing QB. Now he's a tackle & he's been excelling, albeit against less than premium talent. But when he did play against Auburn & Senior Bowl he rose admirably to the challenge.

I'm not excited the Texans took him where they did. But I am excited there is someone on our roster with all the tangibles to lock down LT for the next 5 years.

I don't see what Devlin has to do with this.

This guy is talented. This guy has the measurables. This guy doesn't have the holes in his game Dillard does. He has holes for sure.

Maybe we took him 32 spots too early. But we'll never know what would have happened had we passed.

Looks to me like he's a late bloomer, but a bloomer none the less. 6 years ago he was playing QB. Now he's a tackle & he's been excelling, albeit against less than premium talent. But when he did play against Auburn & Senior Bowl he rose admirably to the challenge.

I'm not excited the Texans took him where they did. But I am excited there is someone on our roster with all the tangibles to lock down LT for the next 5 years.

Rah/Rah

It will take Howard 2 yrs of those 5 yrs to get up to the speed of the NFL, if they're lucky.

Hopefully Watson is still alive by the time they train this guy up. If Devlin is even capable of training a guy up.

So what are we doing now with the OL? We five 5 OTs with serious questionmarks. Davenport? Was inconsistent. Rankins, inconsistens. Kalil, bad injury history, good playing days were pretty long ago. Howard? Considered a project and played to lesser competition. And we have Henderson - coming of a major injury.

Are we keeping 5? Is someone being moved inside? Are we cutting someone?

Last edited:
I don't have the knowledge that others here have, but there's a lot of criticism of Devlin and I've been guilty of ragging on him a bit, too. The question now is whether he can can coach Howard (or anybody, for that matter) up. I'm thinking of several things this morning. First, the brain trust hasn't given him much to work with until now. They chased Duane Brown off along with other guys that had some potential. They've given Devlin guys that other teams couldn't coach up, either. Still other guys have been held back by injuries. Davenport and Rankin are works in progress modest ceiling JAG's with results TBD. Howard is maybe the first bona fide guy with lots of upside that they've given Devlin.

It's obvious they trusted Devlin's opinion on this. Devlin didn't make the pick, but he had a big hand in it. Maybe this is a bit strong, but it's almost as though OB & Gaine are saying it's Put up or Shut up time to Devlin. Devlin's not going anywhere, at least not this year, so we'll have to hope for the best with Howard, et al.

I don't have the knowledge that others here have, but there's a lot of criticism of Devlin and I've been guilty of ragging on him a bit, too. The question now is whether he can can coach Howard (or anybody, for that matter) up. I'm thinking of several things this morning. First, the brain trust hasn't given him much to work with until now. They chased Duane Brown off along with other guys that had some potential. They've given Devlin guys that other teams couldn't coach up, either. Still other guys have been held back by injuries. Davenport and Rankin are works in progress modest ceiling JAG's with results TBD. Howard is maybe the first bona fide guy with lots of upside that they've given Devlin.

It's obvious they trusted Devlin's opinion on this. Devlin didn't make the pick, but he had a big hand in it. Maybe this is a bit strong, but it's almost as though OB & Gaine are saying it's Put up or Shut up time to Devlin. Devlin's not going anywhere, at least not this year, so we'll have to hope for the best with Howard, et al.

I see it as setting up to scapegoat Devlin. We needed a new Rick Smith.

I see it as setting up to scapegoat Devlin. We needed a new Rick Smith.

Devlin personally worked this guy out 3 times at the Sr. Bowl/Combine/Private.

This is a Devlin pick pure and simple, no scapegoating here.

Former GM? The guy who gave us XSF/Montgomery/B.Williams in rd.2-3? Yep, we really need that guy picking today.

Devlin personally worked this guy out 3 times at the Sr. Bowl/Combine/Private.

This is a Devlin pick pure and simple, no scapegoating here.

Former GM? The guy who gave us XSF/Montgomery/B.Williams in rd.2-3? Yep, we really need that guy picking today.

So next year fire Devlin and give O'Brien an extension because he'll get aligned with the new OL coach?

Rah/Rah

It will take Howard 2 yrs of those 5 yrs to get up to the speed of the NFL, if they're lucky.

Hopefully Watson is still alive by the time they train this guy up. If Devlin is even capable of training a guy up.

So you're saying he's not more talented than Davenport?

You said you wanted them to take OL in the first. They did, still you aren't happy.

:bravo::uprights:

I feel bad for Howard. Its not his fault the Front Office did a panic job and drafted a late 2nd round tackle (at best) at #23.
He could end up being a solid RT in the future, 2021. (O-lineman only seem to regress when they get here though)
I thought we needed a starting LT this year.

It should've been try to trade up for the only legit 2019 starting LT prospect on the board - Dillard.
OF trade down and draft as many agile/long-armed O-lineman as possible,(Risner, Edoga, Mcgovern, Udoh, Nijman) praying one of them can coach himself up, since we can't.

I think Risner is better than Davenport right now. So if we can draft him in 2nd.

LT - Risner
LG - Fulton
C - Martin
RG - Kelemete
RT - Davenport / Howard / Rankin (I'd try to draft another guy for this spot)

Once we get a real LT in next years draft (probably end up being the 2030 draft) we can move Risner over to RT where he's best suited.

I feel bad for Howard. Its not his fault the Front Office did a panic job and drafted a late 2nd round tackle (at best) at #23.
He could end up being a solid RT in the future, 2021. (O-lineman only seem to regress when they get here though)
I thought we needed a starting LT this year.

It should've been try to trade up for the only legit 2019 starting LT prospect on the board - Dillard.
OF trade down and draft as many agile/long-armed O-lineman as possible,(Risner, Edoga, Mcgovern, Udoh, Nijman) praying one of them can coach himself up, since we can't.

I think Risner is better than Davenport right now. So if we can draft him in 2nd.

LT - Risner
LG - Fulton
C - Martin
RG - Kelemete
RT - Davenport / Howard / Rankin (I'd try to draft another guy for this spot)

Once we get a real LT in next years draft (probably end up being the 2030 draft) we can move Risner over to RT where he's best suited.
Davenport was a Rick Smith Draft pick so Gaine should have no exposure if they move away from Davenpot an draft sonbody like Risner.
Or how about Mitch Hyatt who's played and started for Clemson for three years now @ LT so he's virtually played against NFL lines for a couple years.

Davenport was a Rick Smith Draft pick so Gaine should have no exposure if they move away from Davenpot an draft sonbody like Risner.
Or how about Mitch Hyatt who's played and started for Clemson for three years now @ LT so he's virtually played against NFL lines for a couple years.

Good call, I like Hyatt too. At least he's got some agility and he's strong. We should trade back in the 2nd, pick up a bunch of picks and pick up a bunch of players that can compete.

I'll wait until after tonight to declare the OL a failure for another season. Maybe they'll surprise me.

But honestly folks, this coaching crew? I've got no faith in the Texans coaching staff as long as OB is still sitting on the iron throne.

There's a big run on OLs and DBs before we get to the Texans round 2. It's got me worried. I really hope the Texans can get one of each that turn out better than their draft position.

Two OLs in the 1st three picks, just what I wanted. Don't know if they are necessarily good picks, but I applaud the effort.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised. Give it till at least after the bye week and our line should start meshing. Sure we’ll probably have a losing record, but the line won’t be the reason why. O’Brien will screw the pooch in vintage fashion.

We’re going to run all OT’s and one receiver and rb.

Just kidding. I hope these guys become all pros.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised. Give it till at least after the bye week and our line should start meshing. Sure we’ll probably have a losing record, but the line won’t be the reason why. O’Brien will screw the pooch in vintage fashion.

That pooch has been screwed so many times you'd think it'd get a restraining order against OB.

If Rankin can play, we may have a decent shot at a decent line or at least depth for injuries. And Gaine/O'Brien get the credit.

If not, blame Rick Smith, Mike Devlin, Bill O'Brien and Briane Gaine. Smith and O'Brien dug the hole, Devlin has kept it there by developing no one, and Gaine didn't replace Duane Brown and is responsible for this draft. If Howard becomes a starter but only after two years, other units (DL, RB) may be taking their turn in the hole, so it won't matter.

Davenport swing tackle and Mancz swing man inside. Kalil, Kelemete, and Henderson fight for last roster spot.

You do mean Davenport swing tackle in arena football, right? Davenport should actually play in the AAF, since it doesn't exist, like his ability.

He wasn't great last year, but he improved dramatically once the staff stuck him in one spot and let him stay there.

The players aren't the main problem IMO. We do have below average talent on the OL, but the staff's insistence on cross-training everyone at multiple spots is ruining development.

That's a good point, desiring "cross-training" as a skill over high specialized talent. But Davenport is a giant hotdog shaped like a human. Tacklers blew by him, forcing Watson to scramble only to have to avoid Davenport who was in a frozen blocking pose wondering what to do. Davenport was a big reason our TEs were taken out of the passing game as much as they were. That's a big net negative to your team. He is the Osweiler of the offensive line.

I do not like him.

Back