Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it Grade the Draft time?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
At this point, not knowing anything about the players except for their ratings, I'd give it a C+. It does have the potential to be a B.

But then we don't really know right now.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You can only really grade the needs they addressed at this point, and from my perspective they hit the majority of the obvious holes. How good the individual picks turn out to be is a matter for future history.

Yeah , they got the positions right …. aside from maybe that TE pick , rather have had a RB instead - they have 4 TE's on the roster already , two of those drafted last year.

So sure , they hit the tackle spot twice and the corner spot twice , something I thought was important.

But did they get the right players ?! That's TBD …. a second OT and a Corner , both high on the need list.

What bothers me is that the first round choice "may not start" day one. WTF ?! There were several other OT's on the board who would have been instant starters …. not to mention players at other positions who would have been instant starters.
If he doesn't start opening day, they picked the wrong player ….

The next two picks , I'm content with …

That Warring pick …. another project at a position they drafted two players last year. The dude played like 5 games in college ?! Sure , the measurables ... Hope the guy makes me eat some crow but , third round on a project.

Rest of the picks I don't have much to complain about …. but the first & third round picks have me a little confused.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Yeah , they got the positions right …. aside from maybe that TE pick , rather have had a RB instead - they have 4 TE's on the roster already , two of those drafted last year.

Rest of the picks I don't have much to complain about …. but the first & third round picks have me a little confused.
The only player I have problems with are yeah he's big CB who's slow, can't defend deep without a perfect press and isn't known for being physical is the ...undersized learn OTJ FB who was certain to go UDFA.

Move wise never would have taken that OT st 23 leaving the top RB, CB & WR on the board. Beloeve Jacobs was highest rated of the 3 and taken next pick. Then take bookend OTs with the 2s.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
The only players I have problems with are yeah he's big CB who's slow, can't defend deep without a perfect press, and isn't known for being physical is the undersized learn OTJ FB who was certain to go UDFA.

Move wise never would have taken that OT st 23 leaving the top RB, CB & WR on the board. Beloeve Jacobs was highest rated of the 3 and taken next pick. Then take bookend OTs with the 2s.
You would've take rb or wr in the first?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
A QB like Watson can make an OLs job easier.

A RB like Jacobs can make an OL look better.

A QB like Watson & a RB like Jacobs could make last year's starting 5 look like the best OL of all time.
Not while me and you are tackle and guard. I think cak is a bit toasty.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
They tried .... this was better than most of their tries .... mostly correct positional focus .... concerned about their talent evaluation and resulting prospect selection .... C- to D+. That said, (sadly), they exceeded my expectations !

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
At least they seemed to address their needs most of the time instead of going off on a BPA tangent. After about the middle of the 2nd round, rankings mean little in most drafts. You're about as likely to find a gem in UDFA as in round 3. This draft better than Rick Smith performances, tentative grade B+. Will it be enough after miserable FA showing? That is the $64 question.

P.S. Good that they took a FB.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You would've take rb or wr in the first?
No corners , no WR's , no RB's and only the one OT had been taken prior to the Texans pick. They had pick of the litter at three positions at 23.

I'd have taken the highest rated player on my board even if it was an Wr or Rb. There are a couple WR's in this draft with hands like DHop that are BIG fast dudes.

Two second rounders ….

You don't leave the best talent on the board for the team behind you just because you feel you must fill a hole.

Then add to that your first round pick might not start …. that was a WTF moment for me. I expect every #1 pick to start out of the gates unless you drafted a QB to sit behind Brett Favre and we don't have any Brett Favre's on offense.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I didn’t want Jacobs, but after seeing Dillard taken, Jacobs was probably the better player left at that point in the draft that was a need. Instead we’re hoping some udfa and Foreman become the next Arian Foster.

Wolf6151

All Pro
It's hard to grade any draft so early and my initial reactions are usually pessimistic. With that said I give this draft a C-
Howard was a panic reach when Dillard was stolen from us. Johnson was a really bad pick, much better talent available. Scharping was a small reach but has potential. Warring, lots of potential and might do the O-line some good, their were much bigger needs than TE. Omenihu, potentially our best pick. Crawford, who? Gillaspia, nepotism pick that could be had as a walk on.

281Texan

Waterboy
Howard was a reach. Warring means a te last year is a bust?
I don’t necessarily think that a TE last year was a bust, I think they were just going BPA there. And I don’t totally hate the pick. If we got him a round later that would’ve been great, but this kills two birds with one stone. It allows us to get rid of Griffin (almost assuredly after his arrest) and it allows us to play Thomas, and Akins more. I think something else being taken into consideration is Akins is already 27, and is strictly a receiving TE. I know it’s slightly redundant to look years into the future for a 3rd round pick just coming off his first year in the league, but having a guy with a lot of upside that can truly sit and wait his turn and learn the game (literally, going into SDSU he guessed and thought 13 players were on the field at once) is not a bad thing. I also think it’s a good pick because at that point in the draft you’ve done enough to address glaring needs and you’re drafting a guy that could upgrade your roster

281Texan

Waterboy
I give this draft a B with the potential to be a D- or an A+. Time will tell. If we got Dillard I’d give this draft a B+/A-. The thing that bothers me about the Tytus pick (aside from it clearly being a reach) is the fact that we allowed another franchise to swoop in for a very low cost and take our guy. It was the same storyline of the same offseason. Gaine had money and major draft capital going into this offseason, he had a fastball down the middle so to speak. Instead of him being aggressive and knocking it out of the park he went for the single. I wanted him to come in here fed up, tired of mediocrity, and make some serious moves. At this point last year, the Cleveland Browns were still the joke of the league. Dorsey went out and got his QB, then after the solid draft he went out this year and got a top 5 WR (whether you love or hate OBJ there’s no denying his talent) to go with the low end WR1/high end WR2 he has in Landry, added another good pass rusher to go with Myles Garrett, added a potential pro bowl corner in the 2nd to go with the pro bowl corner he drafted last year..I mean these are the moves that allow a team to turn the corner and ascend from “good” to “elite” and I just simply didn’t see that from Gaine this year. We still have a ton of cap space that idk what we’re gonna do with. Whether it be clowney or his big move is yet to come. But I can’t knock the draft...yet. I’d almost be more comfortable with an “incomplete/TBD” initial reaction

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree, I would have loved Jacobs in the first, or Harris in the third round.

I agree, Tytus Howard without trading down? I would mind less if they traded to the bottom of the first or top of the 2nd to get him. But taking him at 23, just don't like the lack of draft savvy. But if he's their guy, he's their guy & I have no problem with that. Reminds me of taking Kareem Jackson over Kyle Wilson or DeAndre over Cordorell. But whatever.

I don't like the CB they took. But I don't think I liked any of the CBs in this draft.

Kahale Warring is an interesting pick, but like I said I'd rather have Harris.

I'm not happy about this draft. I'm not happy about our coaching staff.

Just another season hoping against hope. Trying to stay positive. But really, are you guys that surprised they did what they did which is what they usually do?

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
This draft is 2 years too late.

Getting your star QB and then drafting Linemen 2 years later, kinda silly. All their inexperience will just shell shock deshaun or get him injured.

Maybe draft Line first then, develop them then get your star QB.

Oh like NOT resign Owen Daniels (25% of our offense then) then draft inexperienced TEs or develop TEs and then NOT resign Owen Daniels. 3-4 years of bad TE play. Still has not recovered.

Everything this ORG does is backwards. :D

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If they had done a better job in free agency they wouldn't be in a position of getting swooped and then reaching. I'm not saying they had to sign trent brown for $30 million but they shouldn't have gone into the draft in such a horrible position. Make some value signings or trades

Look at the defense. Everyone knew we needed a CB but with signing Roby and Boddy-Calhoun (not to mention Gipson at safety) plus Colvin coming back healthy at least the Texans weren't insanely desperate like they were at OT.

The thing with O'Brien is he is making a mistake because of a previous mistake. This all goes back to dismantling the OL he had when he got here. Now we're wasting valuable capital reaching to fix the OL and that's going to reduce the talent level and create holes elswhere.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Grading a draft normally takes about 4-5 years.

With that said, based on what I've read from fans, it's safe to say that it was a solid F.
Right, so shouldn't we be grading the 2015 draft now? I'll give that one a D+. McKinney is solid, Pro-Bowler, Covington gave you a little something, but everyone else pretty much nada.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I find it funny that the people clamoring "They should have drafted a quality O line before they drafted their QB!" is usually the same crowd that used to crush them when they wouldn't draft a QB. Can you imagine the reaction to passing up Watson for an OT? Before I hear the "Yeah but they should have fixed the line before the Watson draft!" argument, remember, it's not like they haven't drafted linemen, they just didn't work out (because their scouting sucks/sucked).

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Gaine addressed the major needs (OT, CB), while looking for value (DE, TE). Was not able to maneuver in the draft, up or down. Were the Texans the only team not involved in a draft day trade? What happened to the phone lines at NRG? Did they not pay Gaine's cell bill?

I would have to give an incomplete. It's a pass/fail on whether they protect the QB better in 2019. That's what this offseason should be about.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
plus Colvin coming back healthy at least the Texans weren't insanely desperate like they were at OT.
I'm thinking outside of DT, none of the players in this draft is going to amount to much.

4 years from now we're going to still be whining & gnashing our teeth that none of our guys are top tier players... not even aware that only a handful of players in this class are.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Took a 300 lb QB and a water polo goalie within the first 3 picks. It’s like a real life version of Necessary Roughness, but I think I’d rather have Hector Elizondo coaching this team.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
No corners , no WR's , no RB's and only the one OT had been taken prior to the Texans pick. They had pick of the litter at three positions at 23.

I'd have taken the highest rated player on my board even if it was an Wr or Rb. There are a couple WR's in this draft with hands like DHop that are BIG fast dudes.

Two second rounders ….

You don't leave the best talent on the board for the team behind you just because you feel you must fill a hole.

Then add to that your first round pick might not start …. that was a WTF moment for me. I expect every #1 pick to start out of the gates unless you drafted a QB to sit behind Brett Favre and we don't have any Brett Favre's on offense.
Somebody loved the OT we took first rd. That's for damn sure.

Whoever stood on the table for him better be right.

I find it funny that the people clamoring "They should have drafted a quality O line before they drafted their QB!" is usually the same crowd that used to crush them when they wouldn't draft a QB.
Any posters in particular you wanna name?

You know... just so this can be verified and strengthen your take

Max

Veteran
Gaine addressed the major needs (OT, CB), while looking for value (DE, TE). Was not able to maneuver in the draft, up or down. Were the Texans the only team not involved in a draft day trade? What happened to the phone lines at NRG? Did they not pay Gaine's cell bill?

I would have to give an incomplete. It's a pass/fail on whether they protect the QB better in 2019. That's what this offseason should be about.
Maybe Gaine has OCD and a trade would have messed up the draft board he worked so hard on.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
Any posters in particular you wanna name?

You know... just so this can be verified and strengthen your take
No need to. These people know who they are, or the other posters on the board know who they are, or they're in denial so there is no point of calling them out. If you can read English and post on this board it should be blatantly obvious.

I'd feel a lot more confident if it didn't seem like all the "draft experts" said "reach" relating to our first three picks.

I admittedly do not know much about any of the picks this year versus who was available.

I do question why another tight end when this team never utilizes them? Why picking a perceived "project" in the first round if you don't plan on him starting day one? Why not take the top CB available instead? If you don't like the CBs in the draft, why weren't you more aggressive pre-draft?

It appears from the outside looking in that everything appeared "rushed". Free agency seemed like an unexpected bust which complicated matters going into the draft resulting in alleged "reaches". Maybe that's the wrong perspective but to me, that's what it appeared to have taken place.

I could be way off on all of this (not the first time) but this offseason felt less like "a sense of urgency" in addressing weaknesses and more of a "oh s---, what now?".

Texas Jake

Rookie
I'd feel a lot more confident if it didn't seem like all the "draft experts" said "reach" relating to our first three picks.

I admittedly do not know much about any of the picks this year versus who was available.

I do question why another tight end when this team never utilizes them? Why picking a perceived "project" in the first round if you don't plan on him starting day one? Why not take the top CB available instead? If you don't like the CBs in the draft, why weren't you more aggressive pre-draft?

It appears from the outside looking in that everything appeared "rushed". Free agency seemed like an unexpected bust which complicated matters going into the draft resulting in alleged "reaches". Maybe that's the wrong perspective but to me, that's what it appeared to have taken place.

I could be way off on all of this (not the first time) but this offseason felt less like "a sense of urgency" in addressing weaknesses and more of a "oh s---, what now?".
And this draft went nothing like those "experts" predicted. Players the said would be drafted high fell and players they said would be taken in later rounds were taken early. If those guys are such big experts how come they are not GMs or heading up the scouting programs for an NFL team. They don't know near as much as they think they do or others believe they do imho.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I think most of you guys forget the probability of any of these draft picks working out collectively. Chances are most of the players drafted this week will be out of the league in 3-5 years regardless.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
On +/ - it’s an incomplete, I gotta see a couple years. Grading draft day savvy it looks like a C but who knows what maneuvering was available but a C feels right after the 23rd pick.