Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it Grade the Draft time?

This is where I'm at.

But being honest I've seen very little of Howard, so any opinion I have of him would be misinformed.
One thing I have read about both of them is that they play with a little bit of a mean streak. If you want to pound the ball, that is a good trait to have in the oline. I think how these linemen perform in the run game was high in the decision process of deciding who to draft. Hopefully this works out. I am eager to see what Miller can do behind a line that can consistently create daylight for him to run to.

Ugh, feels like a 3 day hangover but very little alcohol consumed. So this fake hangover was brought on by fake draft. :drunk:

That sounds like an accurate summary of what just went down in Nashville over the weekend for young Mr Gaine who, lets face it, just went thru his rookie Draft as a GM because last year with nothing greater at stake than a couple of third-rounders, this year he was playing with the owners blue chips against the big boys like the Philly GM
who recently put togethr a Super Bowl winning roster.
In the Dillard-Howard sequence that went down in the first round Gaine very possibly screwed the pooch but it's still to early to know for sure bout that, time will tell.

"Walter" started his website out of his mom's basement as a project for a college computer science class.

Why you guys constantly bring his worthless opinions here and give them credence is totally beyond me.

What sites do you recommend to get fairly accurate information?

:coffee:

If you are talking about sites for draft or player grades pretty much find whatever site most matches your own opinion because that's what they all are, opinions. Some guess better than others but none of them are what I would call accurate. Me personally the only information I care about getting from sites really is stats and record because numbers don't lie nor do they have an agenda. They can be twisted to fit an agenda or taken out of context but the numbers themselves should be correct. Every so often there might be an article that better says what I'm trying to say but that's still just opinion. To many people on here link grades and mocks and tweets from so called experts as though they were carved in stone facts.

Greg Cosell is the best around. Lance Zierlein is more hit than miss. They both do their homework. LZ tends to try not to stick out from the consensus but will call his shot once in a while.

Those are really the only people not working for an NFL team who I think has an opinion worth listening to. I mostly watch and study players on my own during my limited free time as a hobby. I've been to most of the sites that get posted on here to check them out but the great majority are honestly garbage analysis and groupthink. Not very useful I'd say.

Greg Cosell is the best around. Lance Zierlein is more hit than miss. They both do their homework. LZ tends to try not to stick out from the consensus but will call his shot once in a while.

Those are really the only people not working for an NFL team who I think has an opinion worth listening to. I mostly watch and study players on my own during my limited free time as a hobby. I've been to most of the sites that get posted on here to check them out but the great majority are honestly garbage analysis and groupthink. Not very useful I'd say.

Thanks for the reply

Most of my reading was Zeirlein on NFL site. Mostly because he has visited this site in the past.

I'll pay attention to Cosell in the future to see what he has to say.

BG has been refreshingly transparent describing his desired player profile. He has a vision for this team that is starting to take shape. For example, looking at our current roster, we could have an OL that averages 6’5” -6’6” and 320#’s. This is the new Texans. Sure we have yet to see their unified skill set but he is targeting smart high character guys that should make the whole greater than the individual parts. It will take time to round out the depleted roster he inherited but I’m just excited to finally see a Texan FO with a clear plan. It seems to me that he will always draft need, following his player profile, over scout reported BPA. Until we see more of BG I won’t stress over draft grades.

BG has been refreshingly transparent describing his desired player profile. He has a vision for this team that is starting to take shape. For example, looking at our current roster, we could have an OL that averages 6’5” -6’6” and 320#’s. This is the new Texans. Sure we have yet to see their unified skill set but he is targeting smart high character guys that should make the whole greater than the individual parts. It will take time to round out the depleted roster he inherited but I’m just excited to finally see a Texan FO with a clear plan. It seems to me that he will always draft need, following his player profile, over scout reported BPA. Until we see more of BG I won’t stress over draft grades.

Gaine sounds like a genius. I bet no one has ever thought of only drafting big guys with high character

Gaine sounds like a genius. I bet no one has ever thought of only drafting big guys with high character
He looked at his roster and saw the need. He stated a measurable objective he will be judged by. I remember in the not distant past this board couldn’t even agree on whether the past GM or the coach selected the players.

He looked at his roster and saw the need. He stated a measurable objective he will be judged by. I remember in the not distant past this board couldn’t even agree on whether the past GM or the coach selected the players.

And you still won't now.

Greg Cosell is the best around.

I'll pay attention to Cosell in the future
This guy is really good. He is on NFL Radio every week with Ross Tucker. Ross' show is 5AM-6AM Monday thru Friday. Not sure what day he is on, but he's always a good listen. Cosell is also the guy in charge of or heavily involved in the Senior Bowl I believe.

The other thing I see BG doing is going after hungry guys. Prove it, guys who eat/sleep football versus those who have always had more talent. Greg Little example, kid gets away with uber talent, but does not seem hungry to improve. Anyway, thought I see a trend on that as well with BG

The other thing I see BG doing is going after hungry guys. Prove it, guys who eat/sleep football versus those who have always had more talent. Greg Little example, kid gets away with uber talent, but does not seem hungry to improve. Anyway, thought I see a trend on that as well with BG

Houston Texans: F Grade

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Texans have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They may actually have the worst blocking unit in the league if whatever abomination the Dolphins have is excluded. This must change, as Deshaun Watson will suffer more brutal hits if the blocking doesn't improve. Elsewhere, the Texans must find help at running back, tight end and cornerback.

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Texans once had one of the best front offices in the NFL. They'd routinely find steals like Christian Covington or Arian Foster. That's no longer the case, as Bill O'Brien decided to gut his entire personnel department because he wanted to be surrounded by nothing but "yes men." The results of this were quite apparent in the 2019 NFL Draft, as the Texans came away with arguably the worst draft class this year.

I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round. And if that wasn't bad enough, the Texans followed that up with two horrible reaches in the second frame, taking cornerback Lonnie Johnson and guard Max Scharping too early as well.

Of Houston's seven picks, only two were graded above a "C." This is the sort of thing that happens when a power-hungry individual dismisses all of his talented personnel men. The sooner the Texans fire O'Brien, the better off they'll be.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

I could be wrong but didn't someone say that WalterFootball has a connection with Rick Smith?

Would make sense for them to bad mouth the Texans since he "resigned"

99% of all media outlets agree that the TExans had a head scratcher, and the goal here is to try and discredit every one! LOL.

tenor.gif

That's a good trend. I fondly recall the Dan Pastorini/Carl Mauck/et al Oilers. Not as talented as some other teams, but those guys epitomized hunger and fight.

Maybe they didn't trade up for Dillard because he wasn't hungry.

I'm not sure what to say about that, except that a guy doesn't get that big and talented without being hungry. And eating a lot. Dillard is good, no doubt. I'm not casting aspersions on Dillard.
We don't really know how it went down, but if the Texans knew in advance enough to try to trade for 22, maybe they figured it wouldn't be worth the cost because their long term value on Howard is really strong. Further, if there had been a bidding war for 22, who knows how the cost would have been driven up.

Last edited:

Give me the most talented guys and let the coaching staff learn how to motivate them. If it looks like a guy is lazy, cut him and draft another talented player.

Talent should always win out.

Sounds like the Gaine honeymoon has come to an end. I recall many clamoring, “Can’t wait for this guy to have a full set of draft picks!”
The Gaine honeymoon has just begun. Some folks are perennial Negative Nancy's. Of course there will be differences of opinion on how Gaine ran the draft, and that's okay. Each of us would have likely done it a bit differently had we been in charge. But to say Gaine blew it is way way out of line.

Last edited:
The Gaine honeymoon has just begun. Some folks are perennial Negative Nancy's. Of course there will be differences of opinion on how Gaine ran the draft, and that's okay. Each if us would have likely done it a bit differently had we been in charge. But to say Gaine blew it is way way out of line.

Except when I point out how good the defense has been under Crennel, and how all we need is a good offense to contend, all the Positive Pipers come in and tell me "actually the defense sucked"

Except when I point out how good the defense has been under Crennel, and how all we need is a good offense to contend, all the Positive Pipers come in and tell me "actually the defense sucked"

Could the defense stand some improvement? If course, but only so much can be fixed in one off-season. I think Gaine tried to address the biggest weaknesses and pretty much did so.

Give me the most talented guys and let the coaching staff learn how to motivate them. If it looks like a guy is lazy, cut him and draft another talented player.

Why then do all teams host personal interviews with players pre draft? Talent really is the “easy” part of the draft. Did you simply forgive the high prices we paid, for example, for Nix and Sam Montgomery? What BG has inherited is a symptom of that strategy. BG clearly is trying to raise the floor for the Texans.

Maybe they didn't trade up for Dillard because he wasn't hungry.

I think the issue with Dillard is Mike Leach's system. John Harris may have mentioned this as well, but I don't believe the Texans want a tackle that is exclusively in a 2pt stance and has no college experience blocking on a power play (or a zone run for that matter). He just pass blocked and blocked draw plays.

When you look at like that, Howard really was the better choice for the Texans. And maybe, just maybe, the Texans played poker with false tells so that other teams would believe the Texans wanted Dillard, thus helping protect Howard at 23.

Why then do all teams host personal interviews with players pre draft? Talent really is the “easy” part of the draft. Did you simply forgive the high prices we paid, for example, for Nix and Sam Montgomery? What BG has inherited is a symptom of that strategy. BG clearly is trying to raise the floor for the Texans.

BS. If this was true Tyreke Hill/Travis Kelce would be Texans.

The Texans have never draft talent 1st. Ever heard of the phrase around these parts, Not Texans worthy?

When you look at like that, Howard really was the better choice for the Texans. And maybe, just maybe, the Texans played poker with false tells so that other teams would believe the Texans wanted Dillard, thus helping protect Howard at 23.

The best choice was the guy who could start right away and was considered the best pass-blocking LT in the draft

You would like to think that but times have changed. In this generation, it is getting very difficult to find kids and young adults that are capable of maximizing their potential. In recent years, the most successful kids I've been around were not the most gifted and talented. They were the kids with enough talent and the right mindset.

It's not as easy as you think to just "motivate" someone. Plus, NFL teams are putting massive amounts of resources and dollars into these players. I want to know who a guy is and what he's about before I take a chance on him. I'm the one taking the risk, not him. I have a finite amount of dollars and draft picks to spend and I don't want to waste one on a talented guy who might just be lazy enough to fail.

Athleticism and physical talent are obviously important, especially at the NFL level of competition. But studs bust all the time. Everyone in the NFL is an athlete. It's what else you bring to the table that separates the guys who make it from the guys who don't.

The best choice was the guy who could start right away and was considered the best pass-blocking LT in the draft
Nah. You're making a lot of supposition there. I think Gaine & OB looked at long term projections, not just the first few games' impact. The more I learn about the differences between Dillard and Howard, the more I'm thinking Howard has less risk and was the better choice. As previously discussed, Dillard has his own issues. It's obvious to me, anyway, that the Texans preference was to work on Howard's issues rather than Dillard's.

Gaine is going after what the coaches want dude. They want to pound the ball so now they drafting those type of linemen.

Do you remember when we went after speed and skill players a few years ago.

Obrien at that time seen how fast the Falcons and several other teams we played the previous season. So before the draft he said we needed to get faster.

BS. If this was true Tyreke Hill/Travis Kelce would be Texans.

The Texans have never draft talent 1st. Ever heard of the phrase around these parts, Not Texans worthy?
Prove your first statement. Good luck. Also, I could be wrong but I heard JJ has raised his game with his drive and motivation. Any problem with that bar? BG can’t coach these players but he seems to take seriously his responsibility to provide solid rounded players. Pats get into teams heads simply because they go about their business. The whole is > than the parts...but the parts fit.

It's pretty cool to be optimistic about change when it comes to your favorite team. But let's be real here. If you're paying close attention you would see a lot of the same characteristics. When they said they're aligned basically meant Obrien will be calling all the shots. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. People need to realize he wants to be just like his mentor Bill Belichick.

Back