Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Is it Grade the Draft time?

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
We aren't talking about the past, we are talking about Dillard vs Howard re. readiness for week 1 for this team. And there is nothing at this point to point convincingly to the fact that Dillard would be any better prepared to hold down an NFL/Texans LT position week 1. It is now appropriate to stop beating a dead horse.........Dillard is not a Texan.............and let things play out before wasting so much energy into something that no longer matters.
Other than Dillard is a better athlete and played against top level competition you would be correct. As I've asked before, if you were a betting man would you bet on an elite athlete who has played against top level competition or would you bet on an avg athlete that played division II ball, particularly with Devlin doing the training for the lesser athlete/division II guy?

You are correct in that Dillard isn't a Texan and I'm rooting for Howard to be successful. Speaking of rooting for Howard, the Texans need a day 1 starting LT and if Howard is that guy then it says more about the Texans neglect of the position than it will how well Howard does or doesn't play.

In short I wish the Texans org was ran more like the former SB champion Eagles than the Boy Scout Club currently being ran over on Kirby.

Feel free to disagree with me, I know my opinioms aren't popular on a Houston Texans MB, but it is what it is.

Dejaview

Rookie
Other than Dillard is a better athlete and played against top level competition you would be correct. As I've asked before, if you were a betting man would you bet on an elite athlete who has played against top level competition or would you bet on an avg athlete that played division II ball, particularly with Devlin doing the training for the lesser athlete/division II guy?

You are correct in that Dillard isn't a Texan and I'm rooting for Howard to be successful. Speaking of rooting for Howard, the Texans need a day 1 starting LT and if Howard is that guy then it says more about the Texans neglect of the position than it will how well Howard does or doesn't play.

In short I wish the Texans org was ran more like the former SB champion Eagles than the Boy Scout Club currently being ran over on Kirby.

Feel free to disagree with me, I know my opinioms aren't popular on a Houston Texans MB, but it is what it is.
So typical of this guy. Really here just to run down the org, but notice the typical butt covering plug for Howard? .

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Washington State as I have posted above runs virtually a pure "air raid" offense. There is a reason that their QB last season was sacked at a rate less than any other team (#1). They go four or five receiver sets on pretty much every play, and utilize wide splits on the offensive line to make edge rushers cover more ground to reach the quarterback. The LT has a lot easier time of protecting his QB, not necessarily elite athleticism. The playbook is fairly limited, with only a handful of total plays..........a handful of plays that the LT needs to learn and run. On top of that, the run game being used as a only an occasional afterthought "step child" with a LT's hand never touching the dirt..........of course that frees the player from having to wear gloves to keep the fingernails clean. I would bet that trying to transition from such a limited and confining college system will negate any advantage that you have mentioned in translating to the NFL game. So to answer your question, I would put my money on Howard who, although having played against lesser competition (and held his own against strong competition when confronted with such), but had widely diverse experience in types of skills expected to be necessary in the NFL.

Everything that can be said on this subject has been said on both sides ad nauseum. The "phantom" debate has become wearisome. You are entitled to your opinion. So I'll leave it at that, and would ask you to do the same. :handshake: