Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it Grade the Draft time?

People have to realize the Texans brass had a plan that's totally different than ours. As you can see thier plan was to address needs earlier on . They didn't deviate from what they thought was best for the team. Big physical guys to help protect Watson frontside and backside. Two up and your face corners who are very physically at the point of contact. A TE who might be the steal of the draft. The youngster potential is to the rough. Good chance he will be able to open up Obrien offense ( hopefully).

Therefore my grade is a B-.

Why do we continue to ignore SPEED at the CB position even after TY Hilton scorches us twice per year???

WHY???
I don't have an answer. Who was the CB in the draft that could run with Hilton? Greedy? Maybe? Is the idea to press him, and not get the free release? We won't know if the Texans have an answer until October 20th.

was hoping more for your evaluation :barman:

Howard - Don't get the Duane Brown comparisons. Brown is a lot more agile and compact. Howard is more long and powerful. Reminds me more of Cam Robinson. I like him as a prospect and think he has a good deal of potential, but I don't think Devlin is the guy to bring it out.

Johnson - He's a prototype press and bail guy, but I don't buy all this talk of us playing press-man so I'm not a huge fan of this pick. He's not very good in man and has questionable instincts and intelligence. Would much rather have had Justin Layne, who is also a bigger press guy but is much better at the mirror game.

Scharping - Like him. Think he has a better chance of playing early than Howard. He could use some refinement, but has the experience to be ready to play early. I like his potential as a pass blocking RT. He reminds me a bit of Mitchell Schwartz, who a lot of people underrated coming out of Cal.

Warring - My favorite TE in the draft after the Iowa duo. Has all the tools to be an excellent all-around TE. Fans keep saying TE is not a need, but the TE's haven't done squat in this offense for years. Griffin is a JAG, Thomas is a developmental Y, and Akins is a 27 year old H-Back. We need someone who can be a safety valve for Watson. People forget how often he relied on Jordan Leggett in crunch time at Clemson.

Omenihu - Classic SDE with 5' tech potential if he can add strength and anchor. Has great traits as a developmental rusher. I'm shocked he fell as far as he did.

Crawford - Think he's purely an inside guy, but like him as a developmental guy behind Colvin. His analytic numbers are very good and he's much better in underneath coverage than downfield.

Gillaspia - Pure special teams pick who will play some FB to justify roster spot. He's very good on special teams and it's a 7th round pick so whatever.

Gaine addressed the major needs (OT, CB), while looking for value (DE, TE). Was not able to maneuver in the draft, up or down. Were the Texans the only team not involved in a draft day trade? What happened to the phone lines at NRG? Did they not pay Gaine's cell bill?

I would have to give an incomplete. It's a pass/fail on whether they protect the QB better in 2019. That's what this offseason should be about.

Gaines inability to make a single draft day trade in 2 years is quite troubling to me. He's missing a avenue to take advantage of the other 31 GM's and improve your Asset Base.

#Texans have parted ways with national scout Frantzy Jourdain, who was in his third year with team after 13 years with the #Patriots.

— Neil Stratton (@InsideTheLeague) April 28, 2019

Chad Reuter NFL.com:

Overall grade: C+

Draft analysis: Howard has the athleticism to succeed in the NFL despite playing at FCS-level Alabama State; he proved that at the combine and acquitted himself nicely at the Senior Bowl. This really smells like picking for need, although they decided not to reach for their other big need, a cornerback. If Andre Dillard -- whom the Eagles traded up to select one spot before the Texans were on the clock -- stars in the league and Howard does not, people will wonder why Houston did not go up to get the top left tackle in the draft.

Johnson’s length and foot quickness earned him fans in the scouting community this year, and the Texans really needed to bolster their secondary. Scharping is a solid tackle, but was taken at least a round earlier than was expected. Warring has great upside as a receiving threat for the Texans.

Omenihu’s game screamed Day 2 (Rounds 2-3), so the Texans got a big break finding him in in the fifth round. Houston brought another long corner into the fold in Crawford, and Gillaspia will help as a blocker and special teamer.

Nate Davis USA Today:

Houston Texans: D

To describe their draft as uninspired might prove kind. Only history will determine whether GM Brian Gaine panicked by taking Alabama State OT Tytus Howard in the first round after letting the Eagles jump him for Dillard, who seemed like the perfect guy to step in and safeguard battered QB Deshaun Watson. Also some skepticism as to how much Howard, second-round OT Max Scharping and third-round TE Kahale Warring are equipped to help this team win immediately.

Pro Football Focus:

Day 1:

Houston surprised many inside and outside of the PFF office when they selected former Alabama State offensive tackle Tytus Howard. He held up very well in his time against FBS competition, pitching a shutout on 38 pass-blocking snaps against Auburn this past season. He also had the highest win rate of any tackle in the 1-on-1s at the Senior Bowl. However, slotted as the No. 56 overall player on PFF’s board, he’s still a reach at pick No. 23.

“Now, I like Tytus Howard. I think he’s a good offensive tackle prospect. He is a bit of a reach, still.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Day 2:

Weighing in at 6-foot-2, 213 pounds at the Combine, Kentucky cornerback Lonnie Johnson is another long cornerback with a ton of potential going onto the NFL. He earned a 72.0 coverage grade and allowed an 84.0 passer rating when targeted in 2018, ranking outside the top-50 draft-eligible FBS cornerbacks in both categories. However, he is only potential until proven otherwise, and he will need to get a lot better in the NFL to see the field and thrive as a starter.

Another small-school product now playing offensive line for the Texans, Northern Illinois standout Max Scharping earned 87.0 pass-blocking grades every year of his career as a four-year starter for the Huskies.

A combination of positional value and low-floor potential in the NFL left San Diego State tight end Kahale Warring on the outside looking in regards to our final top-250 list.

Day 3:

Houston’s first two picks of Day 3, Texas edge defender Charles Omenihu at No. 161 and Central Michigan cornerback Xavier Crawford at No. 195, were both great, great value picks. Omenihu was much more of a run-first player at Texas, but he flashed pass-rushing ability when he was given the green light to attack. Not many pass-rushers have his combination of size, length and athleticism. Crawford earned an impressive 82.4 coverage grade across his 331 coverage snaps in 2018, allowing just 15 receptions from 38 targets for 162 yards and one touchdown in the process.

DRAFT GRADE: BELOW AVERAGE

Andy Benoit SI:

The Texans’ biggest problem last year was they didn’t trust their offensive tackles—and with good reason. Knowing that youngsters Julie’n Davenport and Martinas Rankin (as well as the since-departed Kendall Lamm) could not survive one-on-one, Bill O’Brien kept tight ends and backs in to help block, which gave Deshaun Watson fewer options downfield and invited defenses to blitz more out of man coverage. The result was Watson taking about three seasons’ worth of hits. You could argue it was a misguided schematic approach to pass protection, but instead of toying with that approach in 2019, the Texans invested heavily in players who they hope can fix the problem on their own, taking Tytus Howard with their first-round pick and Max Scharping with their second.

One slot before Scharping, they drafted corner Lonnie Johnson, addressing a position that felled their defense in the playoffs and will need replenishing in 2020, as Bradley Roby and Johnathan Joseph are on expiring deals, while Aaron Colvin (last year’s big free agent pickup) will be cut if he doesn’t earn more playing time. The other notable pick is TE Kahale Warring, a high-upside freak athlete who could give O’Brien the mismatch weapon that he’s long sought but never had in Houston.

GRADE: B

Danny Kelly The Ringer.com (Only Round One):

Howard is raw—the former high school quarterback and tight end walk-on at Alabama State is relatively new to the position and played at a lower level—but has all the tools to develop into a quality starter. He has a massive frame, with long arms, big hands, and light feet. He’s versatile, having logged starts in college at both right and left tackle, and has the size and power to bump inside to guard if need be. Per my board, this pick is a big reach—I had Howard ranked 83rd—but the Texans badly needed to upgrade their offensive line, and I can respect that they didn’t take any chances. This pick may need a little bit of time before it starts paying dividends, but Howard comes with loads of upside.

GRADE: C+

I rate it a C- only because they actually drafted to fill needs except they didn't pick the BPA for that position. Hopefully, they'll prove us wrong but hardly anyone else is giving the Texans high grades either:

NFL.com: C+
SI: B
ProFootball Focus: Below Average
Mel Kiper: C+
CBSSports: No grade yet, but labeled the Texans as a draft loser.
SBNation: C+
USAToday: D
WalterFootball: F
ChatSports: D

Howard - Don't get the Duane Brown comparisons. Brown is a lot more agile and compact. Howard is more long and powerful. Reminds me more of Cam Robinson. I like him as a prospect and think he has a good deal of potential, but I don't think Devlin is the guy to bring it out.

Johnson - He's a prototype press and bail guy, but I don't buy all this talk of us playing press-man so I'm not a huge fan of this pick. He's not very good in man and has questionable instincts and intelligence. Would much rather have had Justin Layne, who is also a bigger press guy but is much better at the mirror game.

Scharping - Like him. Think he has a better chance of playing early than Howard. He could use some refinement, but has the experience to be ready to play early. I like his potential as a pass blocking RT. He reminds me a bit of Mitchell Schwartz, who a lot of people underrated coming out of Cal.

Warring - My favorite TE in the draft after the Iowa duo. Has all the tools to be an excellent all-around TE. Fans keep saying TE is not a need, but the TE's haven't done squat in this offense for years. Griffin is a JAG, Thomas is a developmental Y, and Akins is a 27 year old H-Back. We need someone who can be a safety valve for Watson. People forget how often he relied on Jordan Leggett in crunch time at Clemson.

Omenihu - Classic SDE with 5' tech potential if he can add strength and anchor. Has great traits as a developmental rusher. I'm shocked he fell as far as he did.

Crawford - Think he's purely an inside guy, but like him as a developmental guy behind Colvin. His analytic numbers are very good and he's much better in underneath coverage than downfield.

Gillaspia - Pure special teams pick who will play some FB to justify roster spot. He's very good on special teams and it's a 7th round pick so whatever.

Excellent :bravo:

I don't have an answer. Who was the CB in the draft that could run with Hilton? Greedy? Maybe? Is the idea to press him, and not get the free release? We won't know if the Texans have an answer until October 20th.
Roby, draft had no good cover speedsters at corner, I think this is the plan

Houston Texans: F Grade

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Texans have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They may actually have the worst blocking unit in the league if whatever abomination the Dolphins have is excluded. This must change, as Deshaun Watson will suffer more brutal hits if the blocking doesn't improve. Elsewhere, the Texans must find help at running back, tight end and cornerback.

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Texans once had one of the best front offices in the NFL. They'd routinely find steals like Christian Covington or Arian Foster. That's no longer the case, as Bill O'Brien decided to gut his entire personnel department because he wanted to be surrounded by nothing but "yes men." The results of this were quite apparent in the 2019 NFL Draft, as the Texans came away with arguably the worst draft class this year.

I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round. And if that wasn't bad enough, the Texans followed that up with two horrible reaches in the second frame, taking cornerback Lonnie Johnson and guard Max Scharping too early as well.

Of Houston's seven picks, only two were graded above a "C." This is the sort of thing that happens when a power-hungry individual dismisses all of his talented personnel men. The sooner the Texans fire O'Brien, the better off they'll be.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Texans have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They may actually have the worst blocking unit in the league if whatever abomination the Dolphins have is excluded. This must change, as Deshaun Watson will suffer more brutal hits if the blocking doesn't improve. Elsewhere, the Texans must find help at running back, tight end and cornerback.

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Texans once had one of the best front offices in the NFL. They'd routinely find steals like Christian Covington or Arian Foster. That's no longer the case, as Bill O'Brien decided to gut his entire personnel department because he wanted to be surrounded by nothing but "yes men." The results of this were quite apparent in the 2019 NFL Draft, as the Texans came away with arguably the worst draft class this year.

I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round. And if that wasn't bad enough, the Texans followed that up with two horrible reaches in the second frame, taking cornerback Lonnie Johnson and guard Max Scharping too early as well.

Of Houston's seven picks, only two were graded above a "C." This is the sort of thing that happens when a power-hungry individual dismisses all of his talented personnel men. The sooner the Texans fire O'Brien, the better off they'll be.

I HATE draft grades from the so called draft experts/sites. Never seems to be objective; always comes across as being overly whiny or how dare they disagree with me bullshit.

If you feel really good about this draft then you must feel OK with Watson getting sacked another 60+ times in 2019. Running backs averaging less than 3 yards a carry. Hopkins being the only dependable weapon for Watson.

This draft was all about desperation. In the long term it may work out. But if you feel really good about this draft you must be OK with the Texans not competing for anything but the AFC South cellar in 2019.

Been saying this for years. The sooner O'Brien is fired the better, but extensive organizational damage has been done. It's going to take the next regime a long time to rebuild. Will probably take a Browns style tank job.

Such negative talk! These comments are doing a Debbie Downer on my day! I tend to be a cheery sort, so allow me the space to express a different view. I think the Texans could have finessed the draft a bit better, but I'm overall quite pleased. I think they helped themselves a lot with these picks, even though it probably won't start to be apparent right off the bat. I happen to like the long term prospects. Give these guys time to develop. I think we'll all be pleased, except for the perennially unhappy among us.

It will take 2-3 years to get a real feel for this draft. We've got to be patient. I recall that the Duane Brown pick was heavily excoriated the first couple of years. It's widely accepted that most players make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. Many keep improving year over year after that. Derek Newton was a good example of that before his knee injuries.

Last edited:
I will say one thing - it's a terrible thing when we fire a national scout the day after the draft concludes. We let go of Frantzy Jourdain today.
We don't know why he's no longer with the Texans. Until we know more (which we may never know), assessing blame is pure speculation filtered by bias. The tendency will be to blame this on Jourdain's unwillingness to be a Yes man, but I can readily think of other possibilities that don't reflect negatively on OB or Gaine or whoever was over Jourdain in the scouting heirarchy. So, no, it's not necessarily a terrible thing he was let go.

I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round.
&&&&
Most agree that Howard was gonna be off of the Board by the time our second round pick rolled around, but it's fair to question why Gaine didn't have a plan B to aggressively
go after Dillard if he fell the way he did but inexplicably his feet seemed to be mired in mud only unless he thought Howard was the better prospect ?

M
I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round.
&&&&
Most agree that Howard was gonna be off of the Board by the time our second round pick rolled around, but it's fair to question why Gaine didn't have a plan B to aggressively
go after Dillard if he fell the way he did but inexplicably his feet seemed to be mired in mud only unless he thought Howard was the better prospect ?
Maybe Gaine had no reason to need the 22nd pick until it was too late and that trade was already a done deal.

M
Maybe Gaine had no reason to need the 22nd pick until it was too late and that trade was already a done deal.
Or, if they knew in advance that they were about to be jumped at 22, they looked at what it would cost to buy pick 22 for the Texans. If the cost outweighed what they could get by staying at 23, then it was a hard choice, not a panic move.

Last edited:
Texans will have a higher draft slots in 2020 and still all their picks. You should never go into a draft by franchising one of your superstars then throw him under the bus. Was hoping for at least 8-8 now expect 6-10. :mariopalm:

&&&&
Most agree that Howard was gonna be off of the Board by the time our second round pick rolled around, but it's fair to question why Gaine didn't have a plan B to aggressively go after Dillard if he fell the way he did but inexplicably his feet seemed to be mired in mud only unless he thought Howard was the better prospect ?

Not aimed at you ID, but why is everyone so sure that Dillard was the Texans preference? I've asked this in several posts and no one has stepped up with proof that he was. Only personal opinions.

Gaine just may have preferred Howard. If fans wanted someone to just follow the guru's suggestions we could have hired someone off this site instead of Gaine.

How many of the 'air raid' linemen have transitioned well to the NFL? Specifically @ LT?

Some wanted to draft a running back in the first. He damn well better know how to block or Watsons sack numbers will continue to rise. We spent a late round pick on a FB who can do the same thing a lot cheaper.

Protecting Watson was Gaines #1 priority. Was he successful, time will tell.

All the so called grading experts pffft. I give the team an A grade. Which means as much as their grades do. Nada.

:coffee:

Not aimed at you ID, but why is everyone so sure that Dillard was the Texans preference? I've asked this in several posts and no one has stepped up with proof that he was. Only personal opinions.

Gaine just may have preferred Howard. If fans wanted someone to just follow the guru's suggestions we could have hired someone off this site instead of Gaine.

How many of the 'air raid' linemen have transitioned well to the NFL? Specifically @ LT?

Some wanted to draft a running back in the first. He damn well better know how to block or Watsons sack numbers will continue to rise. We spent a late round pick on a FB who can do the same thing a lot cheaper.

Protecting Watson was Gaines #1 priority. Was he successful, time will tell.

All the so called grading experts pffft. I give the team an A grade. Which means as much as their grades do. Nada.

Excellent! Well said! Time will tell. Sitting right here right now, I think this draft really improved the Texans. Yes, they need more help at RB, DB, DL, and LB. Plus another OL or two. They can't fix everything in one draft and no team ever has zero weak links, but they've definitely improved in areas of distinct weakness.

Last edited:
During the draft, I was pissed with the choices we were making, especially with the first 3 picks. But after having a couple of days to cool down and do some research, I'm now just confused.
However, one thing I keep reading about from all the so-called experts I'm sure did not happen, is that Gaine did not panic when Dillard was taken in front of us. The organization spent a great deal of time with Howard and did their due diligence and I believe they had him rated as their 2nd best OT, behind Dillard. All of the prospects have warts, even Cody Ford and Juwaan Taylor.

1. Tytus Howard = C+. I think he will evolve into a solid long time starter and team leader.
2. Lonnie Johnson = C-. Good athlete and size. Hard worker but his intelligence is a concern.
2a. Max Scharping = B. I really like this guy and think he will be an excellent player. Big, smart and nasty streak.
3. Kahale Waring = C+. I believe that basketball players make good TE's. Evidently, it's very hard to find a TE who both catches and blocks.
5. Charles Omenihu = B. Good value that could be solid rotational player.
6. Xavier Crawford = C+. Don't know much about him but he has experience and is smart.
7. Cullen Gillaspia = C-. Clearly a special teams player we probably could have signed as a FA. Multi position type Swiss Army knife.

Overall Grade = C

I don't know anymore than anyone and I could be totally wrong on everything. But that is how I see it now.

The Texans had one of the best FO's in the league?

Lost all credibility after that sentence.

If you feel really good about this draft then you must feel OK with Watson getting sacked another 60+ times in 2019. Running backs averaging less than 3 yards a carry. Hopkins being the only dependable weapon for Watson.

This draft was all about desperation. In the long term it may work out. But if you feel really good about this draft you must be OK with the Texans not competing for anything but the AFC South cellar in 2019.

Just depends on how the OT's develop. If they develop quickly then we will be able to look back on all of these posts and LOL.

The pick I least liked was Johnson.

Hey Texans fans !!! Hope everyone enjoyed the draft, although it does not appear that way from the comments.

I can't say as I loved what the Texans did that much. It appears they addressed needs above best player available.

I would have preferred at least 2-3 OT's over Howard in the first round. Hell, I would have preferred a CB option like Murphy over Howard.
While it's hard to say how much, it certainly appears that Howard was a fairly significant reach.

With the run on CB's taking place, I'm surprised they didn't make a move to get JoeJuan or Greedy Williams, which wouldn't have cost much in trade.
It's not that I don't like Lonnie Johnson, but I think there was a drop off after that run took place.

Again, in looking at the OT's on the board toward the start of the 2nd round, I would have preferred to see them make a move to grab one instead of waiting.
It appears they simply took leftovers, no disrespect to Scharping who I think was one of their better picks.

I feel I could go on and on with the whole draft for the Texans. Sat tight, took what was given at a position of need and went home to bed.
Hate to say it, but it came across as lazy and unimaginative from my perspective.

Please don't get me wrong, this isn't to bash the Texans. They are my #2 behind the Bengals and I see multiple games per year.
I was just really looking forward to them being a little more aggressive, if even a single time, to help bolster that roster.
Hoping that in looking back in 3 years, more than a single player has remained with the team, but I'm not betting on much.

You guys all take care. Looking forward to making the trip back down to Houston for the Bengals/Texans game in 2020 !!!

During the draft, I was pissed with the choices we were making, especially with the first 3 picks. But after having a couple of days to cool down and do some research, I'm now just confused.
However, one thing I keep reading about from all the so-called experts I'm sure did not happen, is that Gaine did not panic when Dillard was taken in front of us. The organization spent a great deal of time with Howard and did their due diligence and I believe they had him rated as their 2nd best OT, behind Dillard. All of the prospects have warts, even Cody Ford and Juwaan Taylor.

1. Tytus Howard = C+. I think he will evolve into a solid long time starter and team leader.
2. Lonnie Johnson = C-. Good athlete and size. Hard worker but his intelligence is a concern.
2a. Max Scharping = B. I really like this guy and think he will be an excellent player. Big, smart and nasty streak.
3. Kahale Waring = C+. I believe that basketball players make good TE's. Evidently, it's very hard to find a TE who both catches and blocks.
6. Xavier Crawford = C+. Don't know much about him but he has experience and is smart.
7. Cullen Gillaspia = C-. Clearly a special teams player we probably could have signed as a FA. Multi position type Swiss Army knife.

Overall Grade = C

I don't know anymore than anyone and I could be totally wrong on everything. But that is how I see it now.

We are seeing the same things.

I do believe Warring will be better than a C+ and Omenihu will be an upgrade he's going to be a steal. His best football is ahead of him. IMHO

Crawford is also a great pick for where he was picked. He's got the speed/quickness needed to be a very good slot CB. If he had longer arms he could play outside. IMHO

Hey Texans fans !!! Hope everyone enjoyed the draft, although it does not appear that way from the comments.

I can't say as I loved what the Texans did that much. It appears they addressed needs above best player available.

I would have preferred at least 2-3 OT's over Howard in the first round. Hell, I would have preferred a CB option like Murphy over Howard.
While it's hard to say how much, it certainly appears that Howard was a fairly significant reach.

With the run on CB's taking place, I'm surprised they didn't make a move to get JoeJuan or Greedy Williams, which wouldn't have cost much in trade.
It's not that I don't like Lonnie Johnson, but I think there was a drop off after that run took place.

Again, in looking at the OT's on the board toward the start of the 2nd round, I would have preferred to see them make a move to grab one instead of waiting.
It appears they simply took leftovers, no disrespect to Scharping who I think was one of their better picks.

I feel I could go on and on with the whole draft for the Texans. Sat tight, took what was given at a position of need and went home to bed.
Hate to say it, but it came across as lazy and unimaginative from my perspective.

Please don't get me wrong, this isn't to bash the Texans. They are my #2 behind the Bengals and I see multiple games per year.
I was just really looking forward to them being a little more aggressive, if even a single time, to help bolster that roster.
Hoping that in looking back in 3 years, more than a single player has remained with the team, but I'm not betting on much.

You guys all take care. Looking forward to making the trip back down to Houston for the Bengals/Texans game in 2020 !!!

Lazy unimaginative describes this draft perfectly. I can pretty much guarantee you Omenihu and Scharping will be on the team within 3 yrs if healthy.

Overall Grade = C

Well said. And the opinions you express are just as believable as any other.

My thinking is that all these players will need NFL experience before we know what we have. The same thing can be said about all the other teams draftees. Our problem with our draftees is that Texan fans have run out of patience and are not enthused about waiting for them to get their experience while we wait.

Not really fair to them but like the saying goes "it is what it is".

C- for me. The person that said lazy and unimaginative hit the nail on the head. And I would extend that to the entire off-season. I'd give the offseason as a whole a D to this point. You had plenty of Cal's money and sat on your hands and the moves that they did make were crappy and reeked of unprepared desperation.

This time last year, I would have given Gaine a B+. After this off-season, taking both off seasons into account, he's sitting at a C and declining quickly.

It's almost as if the team management is taking on the personality of it's ownership. Who whould have thunk it?

The apple didn't fall far from the tree. It's not that I literally think Cal wants to lose. Not at all. It's that I don't think he knows what it takes to win and doesn't have that "fire in his belly" to take the steps to get there. There is a complete and utter lack of urgency from the top down, and winning is secondary to things like fan experience. This is why BOB is safe, even though I bet if we polled the fan base, 75% would say fire him. There's no urgency and Cal just listens to all the BS that Bill and now Gaine blows in his ear and smiles and nods. Whatever you say guys.

I still recall Vinny's words from years ago - The Texans are a marketing team with a football division.

Walter Football goes out of there way to make negative comments about OB. There is definitely some bad blood there and they lose all objectivity.

Walter's opinion isn't worth the paper it's printed on. His site only gets clicks because of the amount of content they put out. His 'opinions' are just him going off the rails on people he doesn't like.

Him giving the Texans an F makes me feel better about the Draft overall. This is the same guy who said Ryan Nassib was the next Peyton Manning and Greg Robinson was the next Joe Thomas.

Even if the Texans had the best draft in the NFL (which they didn't), they still have the same HC.

And I don't think the draft was as bad as some make it out to be.

I honestly don't know what to think about this draft. I do understand the criticism & I think it's well deserved.

As little as I think about our offensive coaches, & you know I do, I've got to believe we are all missing something. Like maybe Brian Ferentz was sitting next to Gaine in the War Room & he'll be announced as our OC next week.

This draft wasn't what we expected from Gaine after showing such promise last year. You get the feeling BO'b makes everyone around him worse as time passes by.

I honestly don't know what to think about this draft. I do understand the criticism & I think it's well deserved.

As little as I think about our offensive coaches, & you know I do, I've got to believe we are all missing something. Like maybe Brian Ferentz was sitting next to Gaine in the War Room & he'll be announced as our OC next week.

This draft wasn't what we expected from Gaine after showing such promise last year. You get the feeling BO'b makes everyone around him worse as time passes by.

If the Ice King from GOT was OB, he'd be resurrected after his untimely accident, given a new contract and then get surprised again by Arya with the same knife.

Gaine did not panic when Dillard was taken in front of us.

Yeah, that panic thing didn't make any sense at all. Most people didn't expect Dillard to be anywhere near 23 so the Texans had to have made up their minds who they would take if Dillard wasn't there.

Once he fell to 18-19 they should have been thinking he's within their reach if they wanted him. & every trade between 18 & 23 they should have known it was probably a trade for Dillard.

They didn't blink. I haven't heard one rumor of the Texans trying to trade up after Dillard dropped past 15.

Like Bridgewater... the Texans didn't want him.

I don't understand that. But I believe it. Doesn't mean I think they're right.

Yeah, that panic thing didn't make any sense at all. Most people didn't expect Dillard to be anywhere near 23 so the Texans had to have made up their minds who they would take if Dillard wasn't there.

Once he fell to 18-19 they should have been thinking he's within their reach if they wanted him. & every trade between 18 & 23 they should have known it was probably a trade for Dillard.

They didn't blink. I haven't heard one rumor of the Texans trying to trade up after Dillard dropped past 15.

Like Bridgewater... the Texans didn't want him.

I don't understand that. But I believe it. Doesn't mean I think they're right.

It's just OBrien. His hoyer mallet combo never made sense and he keeps making moves like that every year. He should have been fired then.

Back