Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Derek Rivers info below. Per article, 3 months is the expected recovery.

A Dec 2020 NFL study published in The Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery found that distal biceps ruptures treated surgically in 35 NFL players allow for return to play at a high rate (33 players........~94%). The level of performance after surgery is similar to that of the player before injury. On average, the number of games played in a season (except offensive linemen) and the career length does not appear to be affected after distal biceps surgery. Average return to play is relatively lengthy........just short of 12 months.

EDIT: an occasional player in the study returned as early as 8 months.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I hesitated to cite the following study with a more cynical prognosis. The cases spanned a 20 year period between the 1998 and 2017 seasons
(and included many older players late in their careers), as opposed to the 1st study I posted above spanning a little more recent period of 2000-2016.:

This study of Feb 2021 published in the same journal by other authors on the exact same subject as the first study found the following. Of 25 cases, 21 (84%) were able to return to sport in the NFL. The overall 1-year survival rate of return to play in players undergoing surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures was 76% and overall 2-year survival was 56%. Players who underwent surgical repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures had significantly shorter postinjury career lengths and played fewer games per season postinjury than matched controls. There was no significant difference by position in postinjury performance scores when compared to matched controls. Return to play still averaged ~321 days.

I find the 3 month return to play somewhat optimistic for an NFL player, especially a defensive end.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
COLTS INJURY REPORT WEDNESDAY 9/7/22

Limited Participation

OT DENNIS KELLY (KNEE).............SUSTAINED A KNEE INJURY THE BEGINNING OF TC AND HAD A "CLEANUP PROCEDURE THAT HAS ESSENTIALLY HAD HIM MISS MOST ALL OF TC....................WILL PROBABLY PLAY, BUT AGILITY MAY BE COMPROMISED.

Full Participation

LB SHAQUILLE LEONARD (BACK).....................FROM MY POST ON MONDAY:

The Colts are saying that LB Shaquille Leonard may play against the Texans. He had offseason June 2-level back discectomies for compression of spinal nerves that affected his calf and ankle did not play in the preseason. Due to ankle surgery before last season and with back pains (since actually 2019), he has not played since last year........and just began to practice for the first time 5 days ago. They are talking about a pitch count. To be playing at all in 1 more week after only 2 weeks of total practice is not a wise choice.

Microdiscectomy requires 6-8 weeks of rest for noncontact sports, and at least 3 months of rest (typically 4-6 months) for contact sports. Athletes are less likely to return to play and stay in play when multiple disc levels are affected. After such surgery, recurrence of the problem/pain is not unusual since you have not cured the problem......only removed some bulging pressing against nerve(s) and lessening the thickness of the disc cushion. Players that are expected to engage in fierce sometimes high speed impact, and twisting and bending are doing exactly what is counterproductive to keeping the disc from recollapsing.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1663210183547.png

COLLLINS [KNEE]............APPEARS TO BE AN MCL..............SUFFERED AN MCL IN 2018, CAUSED HIM TO MISS 3 GAMES...................UNLIKELY TO PLAY SUNDAY

GREEN [THIGH]...........DO NOT EXPECT HIM BACK FOR SUNDAY

JORDAN [ANKLE].....,...JORDAN HAS A HISTORY OF ANKLE INJURIES............2018, LEFT HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN THAT TOOK 6 OF THE LAST WEEKS OF THE SEASON TO HEAL.............2019, RIGHT LOW ANKLE SPRAIN WITH FRACTURE, RESULTING IN HIM MISSING THE LAST 4 GAMES OF THE SEASON INCLUDING THE BOWL GAME (8 WEEK ABSENCE............APRIL 2021, LOW ANKLE SPRAIN, REINJURED IN NOVEMBER....................EXPECT HIM TO BE QUESTIONABLE FOR sUNDAY

YLADOM [ABDOMEN]............OBLIQUE INJURY MAKES AN APPEARANCE SUNDAY HIGHLY UNLIKELY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1663282284152.png

TURNER AND K'WAUN WILLIAMS ARE THE ONLY ONES I EXPECT TO PLAY SUNDAY

DESHAWN WILLIAMS...............RETURNEDD TO PRACTICE N A LIMITED BASIS TODAY AFTER BEING OUT WEDNESDAY..............HACKETT SAID "IT JUST POPPED UP YESTERDAY OUT OF NOWHERE".....................BACK ISSUES DON'T DISAPPEAR OUT OF NOWHERE

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Britt was not at practice for the 3rd day in a row. I'm taking a wild guess, when the Injury Status Report come out later today, Britt will be OUT. :tiphat:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Any updates on Christian Harris recovery?
Harris has been out since the beginning of August. He began the season on IR, so he will not be able to return to practice until after week 4. No matter how he is doing now, with a Grade II hamstring which he suffered, there will be no way to truly assess his status until he is placed in a game situation. And even with that, his injury is the type of injury that is increased risk for re-injury (~30% within 1 year after return).

JRingo

Rookie
Harris has been out since the beginning of August. He began the season on IR, so he will not be able to return to practice until after week 4. No matter how he is doing now, with a Grade II hamstring which he suffered, there will be no way to truly assess his status until he is placed in a game situation. And even with that, his injury is the type of injury that is increased risk for re-injury (~30% within 1 year after return).
Thank you

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1663855302410.png

CRULKSHANK [HAMSTRING]............NEW.........GRADE II TEAR...........WILL NOT PLAY SUNDAY.

GRIFFING[ACHILLES].............NEW...........ACHILLES STRAINS, EVEN GRADE I ARE ENOUGH TO KEEP A PLAYER OUT FOR WEEKS............... ACHILLES TENDINOPATHY (DEGENERATION) THAT USUALLY CAUSES SUMPTOMS CAN REQUIRE WEEKS TO MONTHS OF REST FOR THE TENDON TO SLOWLY REPAIR ITSELF.................COMMONLY, WITHOUT RESPECTING THE NEED FOR PROLONGED REST WILL GO ON TO RUPTURE.............DON'T EXPECT HIM OUT THERE SUNDAY.

JONES [HAMSTRING]............HAS BEEN NURSING A GRADE II HAMSTRING SINCE PRESEASON.........WILL NOT PLAY SUNDAY.

SMITH [HIP]..........NEW...........DID NOT COME OUT OF GAME...........APPEARS TO BE A MILD HIP POINTER...........HIS ABILITY TO PLAY SUNDAY WILL BE REFLECTED IN HIS PRACTICE STATUS.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From what I can gather, Mills jammed his thumb earlier in the game. People are pointing to the fact that he is participating full in practice and that it is "not regarded as serious." However, a thumb injury in a QB can be "not serious," and allow full participation.....and yet still significantly affect grip and accuracy. This type of injury occurs when some sort of impact occurs that forces the bones of the thumb to be pushed together in a way that irritates the structures in the finger joint, resulting in pain, swelling, and stiffness. Luckily, most jams do not cause significant damage to the bone and can be treated with rest and taping. Usually the symptoms for a jammed finger will clear within 2-3 weeks if treated properly. No doubt, Mills will play through this injury, unless the joint is further injured in playing.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1663951363080.png

JORDAN AND YLADOM SHOULD NOT HAVE PLAYED LAST GAME............BOTH AGGRAVATED THEIR INJURIES.

CASHMAN SUFFERED A VERY MILD HIP POINTER AND SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO UNLESS HE AGGRAVATES IT IN PRACTICES.

MY IMPRESSION OF MILLS IS UNCHANGED FROM MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS.

BROWN FELL ON HIS SHOULDER IN PRACTICE, EVIDENTLY TEARING SCAR TISSUE FROM AN OLD SHOULDER INJURY..............HE SHOULD NOT MISS SUNDAY.

DECULUS SUSTAINED A SIGNIFICANT HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN WITH POSSIBILITY OF STRESS FRACTURE IN PRACTICE.............DOUBT WE SEE HIM ANY TIME SOON.

HINISH...............NO INFORMATION AS TO NATURE OF FOOT INJURY SUSTAINED IN PRACTICE.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
DURING THIS MORNING'S OPEN PRACTICE:

JERRY HUGHES NOT PRACTICING.............PROBABLY REST

MALIEK COLLINNS NOT PRACTICING............PROBABLE REST

BREVIN JORDAN NOT PRACTICING............DON'T EXPECT HIM SUNDAY

JALEN REEVES-MAYBIN NOT PRACTICING.....................HAS ONLY PLAYED AS LB IN 1 GAME THIS SEASON.............DON'T EXPECT HIM SUNDAY, UNLESS STS

KURT HINISH NOT PRACTICING......................DON'T EXPECT HIM SUNDAY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1664405362016.png

CASHMAN, PIERCE, AND STEWART ALL HAVE HIP POINTERS.................UNLESS THEY EXPERIENCE A SETBACK, THEY WILL ALL BE THERE.

COLLINS AND HUGHES RESTING THEI TIRED BONES..............THEIR SIDELINE GERITOL REFRESHMENT WILL REJUVENATE THEM ON SUNDAY.

ALL OTHERS LISTED AS DNP WILL NOT BE SEEN SUNDAY.

YLADOM IS STILL STRUGGLING WITH HIS THIGH INJURY...........UNTIL HE HAS A FULL WEEK OF PF, HE WILL NOT BE THERE SUNDAYS.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
ALLEN ...........SUFFERED A GRADE II HAMSTRING WEEK 1 HAS HAD LIMITED PRACTICE THE LAST 2 WEEKS BUT DID NOT PLAY WEEK 2 OR 3................WITHOUT FULL WEEK OF FP, DON'T EXPECT HIM IN GAME.

HEBERT............FRACTURED RIB CARTILAGE.............HE'S LUCK TO BE ABLE TO BREATHE............FLAK JACKET DOESN'T WORK FOR THIS INJURY.............NO WAY HE PLAYS SUNDAY.

JACKSON .........UNDERWENT UNEXPECTED CLEANUP ANKLE SURGERY AUGUST 23 AFTER COMPLAINING OF PAIN DURING PRACTICES.........COULD NOT PLAY WEEK 1.................RETURNED TO PLAY 100% OF SNAPS WEEK 2............EVIDENTLY, CAME BACK TOO SOON, AND DESPITE A 9-DAY REST, HE WAS UNABLE TO PLAY WEEK 3................... FROM WHAT i HAVE GATHERED BECAUSE OF SWELLING AND GENERALIZED INFLAMMMATION...........IT IS MOST LIKELY THAT HE NEEDS MORE REST/REHAB TO RESOLVE HIS PROBLEM.............TRYING TO PLAY A GAME THIS SOON AFTER THE EXACERBATION WILL ONLY PROLONG HIS RECOVERY.

JOHNSON...............BRUISED SHOULDER IN WEEK 2.........SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY SUNDAY.

LINSLEY.............LEFT GAME IN WEEK 2 FOR A NONSPECIFIED KNEE INJURY.................COULD NOT PLAY LAST WEEK.................QUESTIONABLE AS TO PLAYING SUNDAY.

PARHAM............SUFFERED A GRADE II HAMSTRING IN TC.............HAS NOT PLAY THIS SEASON............WITHOUT A FULL WEEK OF FP, DON'T EXPECT HIM TO PLAY SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1664491433498.png

NO CHANGE TO PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES...................ALTHOUGH I'M NOT RULING OUT THE SAME ILL-ADVISED DECISION THAT WAS MADE FOR HEBERT TO PLAY INJURED, ALBEIT NO DOUBT SHOT UP FOR PAIN CONTROL, THE ENTIRE BLOWOUT GAME WITH THE JAGS.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Stingley did not practice today. And he was seen wearing an arm brace on his left arm...........the same arm reportedly injured. But I'm posting a screen shot of Stingley in the last game [below]..........note that he wearing an arm brace after the first time he exited the game and at the time of the injury that had him ruled out. The information I am receiving is that he should still be able to play Sunday.

1664999050151.png

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1665001995864.png

STINGLEY............NOW LISTED AS BOTH ELBOW AND SHOULDER [STILL INSISTING BRUISING]

*IF I FIND MORE TIME, WILL POST FURTHER COMMENTARY.

*AS MUCH AS THE TEAM NEEDS FULL CONTACT PRACTICE, IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE BANGED UP ENOUGH TO FOREGO IT....................THIS PRACTICE WAS ONLY A WALKTHROUGH! THE PRACTICE LEVEL IS A "GUESSTIMATE" OF WHAT THE MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1665004848245.png

FOLEY SUSTAINED A GRADE II QUAD TEAR IN WEEK 4............WITH A NO GO TODAY, HE IS UNLIKELY TO BE REHABBED BY SUNDAY.

VAN LANSEN SUSTAINED A GRADE II HAMSTRING IN WEEK 3...........HE MISSED LAST WEEK AFTER ONLY PRACTICING LIMITED ON A FRIDAY WALKTHROUGH..................WITHOUT A FULL WEEEK OF FULL PRACTICE, HE SHOULD NOT BE OUT THERE SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
LOOKS LIKE A SCARY NUMBER ON THE WEDNESDAY TEXANS INJURY REPORT. BUT MOST ARE LIKELY TO BE AVAILABLE SUNDAY.

GREANARD PLAYED A SEASON-LOW 54% POF D SNAPS IN WEEK 4 WHEN HE PICKED UP A GRADE II LOW ANKLE SPRAIN...........HE WILL BE QUESTIONABLE WITH HIGH RISK FOR REINJURY IF HE PLAYS SUNDAY.

CASHMAN WILL NOT PASS THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOL.

DECULUS........STILL DEALING WITH A HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN...............DON'T EXPECT TO SEE HIM SUNDAY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Here are a couple of pics from this morning's practice. Reports are that Stingley looks OK. But, it is obvious to me that his arm injury is more that just bruising. He has gone from wearing a compressive protective brace in the first pic I previously posted [below in attachment]................to an articulated brace [seen in the pics I am posting this morning]. This new brace tells me that the injury that Stingley has sustained is in fact an elbow hyperextension.

Stingley did not practice today. And he was seen wearing an arm brace on his left arm...........the same arm reportedly injured. But I'm posting a screen shot of Stingley in the last game [below]..........note that he wearing an arm brace after the first time he exited the game and at the time of the injury that had him ruled out. The information I am receiving is that he should still be able to play Sunday.

View attachment 10788
1665067081211.png
1665067204729.png