Support and keep Texans Talk going. Make a donation here.

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Garoppolo suffered a thumb injury during a sack in the 2nd Q of Thursday's loss. From what I have been able to determine, that injury is an ulnar collateral sprain of his right hand. Such an injury, even if mild, will affect his ability to grip and control the football for at least a couple of weeks. I see it as unlikely that he plays against the Texans. And if he does, I expect a compromised performance.

ArlingtonTexan

Coming Soon: AcresHomeTexan
Staff member
Garoppolo suffered a thumb injury during a sack in the 2nd Q of Thursday's loss. From what I have been able to determine, that injury is an ulnar collateral sprain of his right hand. Such an injury, even if mild, will affect his ability to grip and control the football for at least a couple of weeks. I see it as unlikely that he plays against the Texans. And if he does, I expect a compromised performance.

ArlingtonTexan

Coming Soon: AcresHomeTexan
Staff member
further info...I guess this should go on the game week thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
further info...I guess this should go on the game week thread

Garoppolo's injury is illustrated in the 2nd pic below. As I previously posted, playing Sunday should not be an option.

As pertains to Tunsil, what the team reports as a wrist/hand injury seems to actually be an injury involving his left thumb. At the top of my list would be an ulnar collateral ligament tear from having his thumb bent back and out, with or without fracture.

View attachment 9168

Sometimes the ligament itself will not tear but instead pulls a small piece of bone off the base of the thumb where it attaches. This is called an avulsion fracture. This can also lead to an unstable thumb joint if the injury is not repaired correctly.

View attachment 9169

We'll know more after x-rays, and MRI if needed, are performed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1640884795343.png

Per Shanahan, Garoppolo has confirmed my information [https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/injury-thread.110817/page-71#post-3223387]that he is dealing with a Grade 3 sprain in his thumb where the ligament tore away from the bone and took a small chip of bone with it.

Garoppolo still thinks he will play Sunday. My opinion hasn't changed............he shouldn't. If he does, his grip strength and control/accuracy can be expected to be "interesting"...........likely more like a welcomed gift to the Texans.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Delusional 49ers beat writer for the San Francisco Chronicle trying to make a case for a Garoppolo playing............because he fist bumped with his right hand. Big news.........Fist bumping doesn't utilize any physical traits Garoppolo will need to throw a legitimate pass. :smiliepalm:

1640976901465.png