Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
No word yet on V Taylor. Getting an MRI today for the ankle. Some are reporting he could be out for week two. That actually sounds positive

During the game, I commented to my friend that it looked like Taylor suffered a high ankle sprain. The only ankle surgery besides a simple cleanout which I doubt being the case since he has no history of previous ankle injury/surgery, that would be out for only 6 weeks(still likely to not see the game field for 8 weeks) would be a "tightrope" surgery for a high ankle sprain.

The newer "tightrope" procedure allows the high ankle separation to be stabilized in a flexible manner, keeping the natural motion between the tibia and fibula. Since the fixation is flexible, there is no need for a second surgery to remove the metal hardware. Keep in mind that return to play for the classic screw fixation can be expected to be 3-6 months.

Classic repair:

1631574230954.png

Tightrope repair:

Animated:

Not really bloody in-surgery VIDEO

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
COMMENTARY FOR WEDNESDAY TEXANS INJURY REPORT

BROWN [SHOULDER, ANKLE]............SHOULDER SUBLUXATION/GRADE I LATERAL ANKLE SPRAIN..........MAY BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY, BUT I EXPECT THAT HE HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF BEING OUT THERE SUNDAY WITH A SHOULDER HARNESS.

GREENARD [ILLLNESS]............NON COVID............MAY BE QUESTIONABLE, BUT LIKELY TO PLAY IF MOST SYMPTOMS RESOLVE BY SATURDAY.

JOHNSON [THIGH]...........REHABBING GRADE II QUAD STRAIN SUSTAINED DURING BUCS PRESEASON GAME.............HE WILL TRY TO PLAY SUNDAY WITH A SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY IF HE GOES FULL SPEED.

KING [KNEE]............APPEARS TO HAVE RE-INJURED THE KNEE CAP HE FRACTURED IN 2019.............WILL BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY.

PIERRE-LOUIS [THIGH]............GRADE II HAMSTRING TEAR.............NOT IMPROVING..............WILL NOT PLAY ANYTIME SOON.............GOOD CHANCE HE GOES ON IR

ROBERTS [KNEE]...........SUSTAINED PRIOR TO 1ST PRESEASON GAME.........UNDISCLOSED, BUT HAVE FOUND THAT HE IS DEALING WITH A BONE BRUISE..............PAIN WILL BE THE DICTATING FACTOR IN HIS RETURN................WILL BE QUESTIONABLE, BUT IF HE DOES NOT PRACTICE THURSDAY, DOUBT THAT HE WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY SUNDAY.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

During the game, I commented to my friend that it looked like Taylor suffered a high ankle sprain. The only ankle surgery besides a simple cleanout which I doubt being the case since he has no history of previous ankle injury/surgery, that would be out for only 6 weeks(still likely to not see the game field for 8 weeks) would be a "tightrope" surgery for a high ankle sprain.

The newer "tightrope" procedure allows the high ankle separation to be stabilized in a flexible manner, keeping the natural motion between the tibia and fibula. Since the fixation is flexible, there is no need for a second surgery to remove the metal hardware. Keep in mind that return to play for the classic screw fixation can be expected to be 3-6 months.

Classic repair:

View attachment 9005

Tightrope repair:

Animated:

Not really bloody in-surgery VIDEO
Basically sticking a wire in a drilled out hole with an anchor bolt used to tighten and hold in place. Really cool stuff.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1631854039238.png

OF MAJOR INTEREST IN THE BROWNS INJURY REPORT IS THE INJURIES TO:

WILLIS [ANKLE]............HE WAS ROLLED UP IN WEEK 1...........FROM WHAT I CAN ASCERTAIN, HE SUFFERED A GRADE II HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN............BACK IN JAN, IN THE DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF GAME, HE SUFFERED BOTH A LATERAL ANKLE SPRAIN AND A HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN............ALTHOUGH, HE IS THE STARTING LT, I CAN'T SEE HIM PLAYING SUNDAY.

HUBBARD [TRICEPS].........SUFFERED A TENDINOUS TRICEPS TEAR WHEN AS THE SWING TACKLE, HE CAME IN FOR WILLIS.............ALTHOUGH, HE WOULD BE THE BACKUP LT BEHIND WILLIS.............I CAN'T SEE HIM PLAYING SUNDAY.

THE ABOVE INJURIES TO THE LT CANDIDATES FOR SUNDAY, COULD LEAVE THE POSITION TO BE FILLED BY THE BROWNS ROOKIE LT PICKED THIS PAST DRAFT IN THE 4TH ROUND............THIS INJURY SITUATION COULD END UP BEING A CRITICAL FACTOR IN SUNDAY'S GAME.

BTW, FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT EXPECT THE BROWNS TO MOVE CONKLIN FROM RT TO LT...........EVEN THOUGH CONKLIN PLAYED SOME LT IN COLLEGE, HE DOES NOT HAVE THE FEET TO PLAY LT IN THE NFL (WHILE NOW HE IS DEALING WITH A KNEE ISSUE OF HIS OWN RELATED TO HIS 2 ACL REPAIRS........ONE IN COLLEGE IN 2015 AND ONE IN THE 2017 NFL POSTSEASON)............EVEN IF THE BROWNS WOULD HAVE HIM MAKE THAT MOVE, THEN RT BECOMES A BIG ????

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thanks @CloakNNNdagger !

Another OL injury that has popped up for the Browns is center JC Tretter (knee). He was LP leading up to week 1 but is DNP this week so far with a knee injury. I read he had knee surgery in the 2020 offseason but he has not missed a start since signing with the Browns in 2017. Could this week be the first missed game for him?
Tretter has had ongoing problems with his knee since the end of 2019. In Aug 2020, he underwent a knee scope to remove some loose floating particles of articular cartilage. This past Aug 16, he had a similar procedure to remove loose articular cartilage fragments. He returned too soon last game. He will be shot up if he is to continue to play. But his issue will be progressive. As a center, this type of problem will affect his base.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1632171671534.png

***The Texans only had a walk-through. Therefore, this is only an estimate based on if there were a regular practice.

Amendola [thigh].........grade I hamstring........will not / should not play.

Collins [shoulder]............dislocation (see above post).

Grugier-Hill [knee].............from what I can surmise, grade I MCL..........may try to play with a brace.

Mitchell [concussion]..............will not clear protocol by Thursday.

Reid [knee]..........grade I MCL.......will probably try to play, but risk for re-injury this soon.

Watson (non-injury reasons)

Attachments

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I posted this in the Dawg Pound thread shortly after the Taylor injury (left Taylor inadvertently out of yesterday's Injury Report commentary).:

Having reviewed the film, Taylor sustained a grade II hamstring tear. He can be expected to require 3-6 weeks rehab. He should be on the conservative side on return, as recurrence is common, especially when coming back too soon.
The official word came out yesterday evening:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

**BTW, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE DAYS OF THE INJURY REPORT(S).

1632262828650.png

NO ONE PLAYED TODAY..............SO IT'S DIFFICULT TO MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF REID'S STATUS EXCEPT THAT HE IS RESTING HIS KNEE.............NOT SURE, BUT VERY POSSIBLY THE SAME FOR GRUGIER-HILL.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NOTABLE PANTHERS INJURIES:

DE YETUR GROSS-MATOS HAS NOT PRACTICED IN 2 DAYS NOW..........HE HAD HIS ANKLE ROLLED ON AND IT APPEARS THAT HE HAS SUFFERED A HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN.............THURSDAY DOES NOT LOOK TO BE IN HIS FUTURE.

AN EVEN GREATER POTENTIAL LOSS FOR THE PANTHERS IS ROSS-MATOS' BOOK END DE MORGAN FOX...........LOOKS LIKE HE SUSTAINED A GRADE II LOW ANKLE SPRAIN..............HE PRACTICED LIMITED YESTERDAY AND TODAY, BUT WAS SEEN WEARING A RED JERSEY TODAY, MEANING THAT HIS HE WAS NOT CLEARED FOR CONTACT..............THURSDAY ALSO DOES NOT LOOK TO BE IN HIS FUTURE.............BE AWARE THAT FOX CRANKED UP AN UNREAL 7 PRESSURES LAST GAME.........HIS ABSENCE WILL NOT BE MOURNED BY MILLS AND THE TEXANS OFFENSE.

THE PATHERS STARTING LG PAT ELFLEIN HAS JUST NOW BEEN PLACED ON IR............IN WEEK 1, HE SUSTAINED A HIP INJURY AND WAS LIMITED THROUGHOUT THE NEXT WEEK...........HE THEN CAME BACK TOO QUICKLY AND SUFFERED A GRADE II HAMSTRING TEAR LAST SUNDAY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I WOULDN'T PUT TO MUCH PROGNOSTIC VALIDITY INTO THE DNPS TODAY AS REGARDS THE QUESTIONABLES.........NO ONE WOULD PRACTICE (EXCEPT FOR WALK-THHROUGHS) THE DAY PRIOR TO A THURSDAY GAME............AND AN INJURED PLAYER THAT HAD A CHANCE OF PLAYING WOULD MOST PROBABLY NOT PLAY BOTH PRACTICES LEADING UP TO A THURSDAY SHORT WEEK IN ORDER TO GAIN ADDITIONAL REST/REHAB TIME. HOWEVER, THEY MAY ULTIMATELY WISELY CHOSE CONSERVATIVELY TO MINIMIZE THEIR CHANCES OF EXTENDING THEIR INJURIES TO MORE LONG-TERM ISSUES.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans’ Fairbairn making progress: ‘If he’s ready to go, we’ll go with him’
By Aaron WilsonSep 24, 2021

Texans kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn is making progress in his recovery from a groin injury and the team will evaluate him again next week on whether he can be activated from injured reserve and kick against the Buffalo Bills.
*****************************************************************************************

A grade II groin tear in a kicker should be given at least 2 months for rehab. And risk for re-injury the remainder of the season still remains significantly increased. The Buffalo game is 5 weeks post injury. I believe that trying to bring him back that soon is short-sighted.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If he’s kicking all week in practice, why would kicking in a game matter?
First of all, kicking for a week is not how you transition a kicker back to game shape. Usually, the first week or two, kicking should be less forceful and short, just to get the muscles/tendons back to reasonable strength. Kicking in a game, especially with the defense players rushing in, many times requires angle adjustment (also dependent on side to side ball field placement) and therefore adjustment of the muscle groups, which places additional stress on muscles/tendons involved. I can't predict how the Texans will handle Fairbairn, but I have previously given my opinion regarding a prudent approach.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Are you able to move a player to PUP if they start the season on short term IR? Sounds like Kaimi should be a candidate for that move.
Fairbairn was placed on IR after the season actually began. PUP was never an option. When a player from IR begins practicing, a 3-week window starts in which they are eligible to be moved to the active roster. If he is not able to be activated after coming off IR after a 3 week period, he would be placed on IR the rest of the season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1632947220534.png

AMENDOLA [HAMSTRING]...............STILL SHOULD NOT PLAY THIS WEEK.

BRITT [THIGH]..................NOT SURE OF WHAT THE INJURY IS, HOWEVER, IF IT WERE A HAMSTRING OR A QUAD TEAR, WOULD NOT BE EXPECTING HIM TO BE PRACTICING............THIGH BRUISE WOULD BE HIGH ON MY LIST IF HE CONTINUES TO BE ABLE TO PRACTICE............IF SO, WILL PLAY SUNDAY.

GRUGIER-HILL [KNEE].............SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY THIS SUNDAY.

MITCHELL [CONCUSSION/ILLNESS]............"ILLNESS" SYMPTOMS CONSISTENT WITH PROLONGED CONCUSSION SYMPTOMS..........WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR HIM TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE PROTOCOL THIS WEEK, SHORT OF A VERY QUICK TURN AROUND IN THE NEXT 2 DAYS.

PHILLIPS [ILLNESS]............AVAILABILITY THIS SUNDAY STRICTLY DEPENDENT ON PROGRESS THROUGH THE WEEK.............BUT MOST COMMING OFF OF ILLNESS JUST BEFORE A GAME WILL HAVE THE PERFORMANCE AFFECTED DUE TO LOSS OF CONDITIONING TIME.

REID [KNEE]...........WITHOUT SETBACK WHICH HE EXPERIENCED JUST BEFORE LAST GAME TIME, EXPECT HIM OUT THERE SUNDAY, PROBABLY WITH A BRACE.

WATSON [NOT INJURY RELATED].................................

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1632948940964.png
THE "VET RESTS" ARE SELF-EXPLANATORY.

BEASLEY'S AVAILABLITY WILL OBVIOUSLY BE DEPENDENT ON THE COURSE OF HIS ILLNESS...........BUT, OF COURSE, THE LONGER HE IS OUT, THE GREATER LOSS OF CONDITIONING.

HYDE.............GRADE I QUAD TEAR IN WEEK 2.............WILL LIKELY PLAY SUNDAY............INCREASED RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

JOHNSON............GRADE I GROIN TEAR SUFFERED LAST GAME .............AS A CB, HE NEEDS TO GIVE IT A REST SUNDAY, AND PROBABLY THE NEXT WEEK ALSO, OTHERWISE A VERY HIGH RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

POYER............AS A SAFETY, THIS LATERAL ANKLE SPRAIN FOR WHICH HE EXITED LAST GAME IS PROBABLY AN INJURY THAT IMPACTS THE BILLS THE MOST IF HE DOESN'T PLAY............AND HE SHOULDN'T..........EVEN AS A GRADE I, NOT ONLY ARE YOU RISKING EXTENSION OF THE INJURY, BUT ALSO GREATLY INCREASING THE RISK OF INCURRING A COMPENSATORY INJURY.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1633041059741.png
PRETTY MUCH THE DIRECTION PLAYERS TAKING THE DIRECTION PER YESTERDAY'S COMMENTARIES.

OBADA [ANKLE].............SUSTAINED ANKLE SPRAIN IN PRACTICE..............SEEMS TO BE A COMPENSATORY INJURY............THIS IS AFTER SUSTAINING A CALF TEAR THE FRIDAY BEFORE WEEK 2 GAME.............AND HAS DEALT WITH IT THROUGH WEEK 3.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1633127204228.png

NO SURPRISES.

MITCHELL AND WALLOW WOULD NOT PLAY AT FULL STRENGTH............SHOULD GIVE IT A REST UNTIL NEXT WEEK...........FATIGUE IS A MAJOR RISK FACTOR IN EXPERIENCING AN INJURY.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1633558738896.png

AMENDOLA................COMING OFF GRADE II HAMSTRING FOR WHICH HE WAS IR'ED FOR 3 WEEKS..............SHOULD NOT PLAY SUNDAY, BUT BECAUSE IT'S THE PATRIOTS, HE MAY UNWISELY CHOOSE TO PLAY AND BECOME RE-INJURED.

BRITT................NOW OVER THE THIGH, HE IS HAVING SOME SWELLING IN HIS PREVIOUSLY RECONSTRUCTED KNEE (ACL).............IF HIS PRACTICE STATUS PROGRESSIVELY IMPROVES, EXPECT HIM TO PLAY SUNDAY.

CONLEY AND COOKS.........REST.

MORELAND AND PHILLIPS WILL BE FULLY RECOVERED OF THEIR ILLNESS FOR SUNDAY.

WATSON.............

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1633562523991.png

THE MOST NOTABLE PLAYERS ON THE INJURY REPORT:

ANDERSON..............ACTUALLY HAS A PECTORAL TENDON TEAR...........WON'T BE ABLE TO AVOID IR WITH THIS TYPE OF INJURY.............SURGERY WOULD NOT BE SURPRISING.

BROWN...........HAS BEEN PLAYING THROUGH A CALF STRAIN SINCE WEEK 1............THIS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN GOOD FOR HIS REHAB, AND HAS AFFECTED HIS PLAY...........HIS AVAILABILITY IS DEPENDENT ON HIS PROGRESS THROUGH THE WEEK...........IF HE DOES NOT PRACTICE AGAIN TOMORROW, SHOULD NOT PLAY SUNDAY..............BUT WITH THE OLINE SITUATION AS IT STANDS NOW, MAY BE FORCED INTO PLAY BY "NECESSITY."

MASON..........SUFFERED AN ABDOMINAL MUSCLE STRAIN LAST GAME...........THIS CAN BE A VERY DEBILITATING INJURY FOR AN OLINEMAN.............IF HE DOES NOT FULL PRACTICE THE REST OF THE WEEK, HE IS HIGH RISK FOR EXTENDING HIS INJURY IF HE TRIES TO PLAY.

VAN NOY...............WEEK 3, SUFFERED A GRADE I GROIN TEAR..............PLAYING THROUGH IT IN PAST 2 WEEKS, BUT HIS PERFORMANCE REFLECTED WORSENING, AS HE TALLIED NO STATS LAST GAME.............PRETTY TELLING FOR A MIDDLE LINEBACKER.

****KEEP IN MIND THAT ALTHOUGH NOT ON THE INJURY REPORT, THE STATUS FOR ISAIAH WYNN AND MICHAEL ONWENU ARE UP IN THE AIR, AT THE MERCY OF THE COVID PROTOCOL...............THE PATRIOTS OLINE POTENTIALLY HAS A REAL PROBLEM GOING INTO THE TEXANS GAME.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Regarding Miller's "mysterious" release............

Hmmm....could this have had anything to do with Miller completely giving up on the play when Mills threw the deep Int?
Aaron Wilson reported: Anthony Miller........slight shoulder dislocation, slated to return by first or second game of regular season. Five weeks would not be considered a "slight shoulder dislocation" whatever that even means.
Additional information I've encountered re. Anthony Miller. Miller had two shoulder injuries during his days at Memphis – one to his right shoulder and one to his left shoulder. He reportedly had surgery to repair a torn labrum of his right shoulder, which forced him to miss the entire 2014 season. In addition, he had a “small labral tear” in his left shoulder that he played through during his final season in 2017.

His shoulder joints have certainly taken a beating.........something especially concerning in a young NFL receiver.

In addition to the shoulder issues/surgeries I mentioned above, during his 2018 season with the Bears, he conitnued to dislocate and relocate his left shoulder (the one he originally injured at Memphis) 4 times trying to grind it through the season. In 2019, his shredded labrum was finally reconstructed.

When he tried to play through his previous shoulder subluxation/dislocation injuries, he wore a shoulder harness. He was very vocal about the restriction of his arm range of motion up and away from his body. Wearing a shoulder harness for a WR can significantly affects his ability to go high up after a ball. Miller probably knew that he had no chance to retrieve Mills long high pass. With his recent shoulder history, the Texans had to know that surgery was in his future, and even with surgery, with the position he plays, his availability would always be a question.

Last edited: