Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This practice session began with a drill requiring forceful acute push off from a standstill to beat a medicine ball that was thrown into the air before it hit the ground. No warm ups were performed. I've written repeatedly that the old approach of stretching exercises prior to other workouts should never be done............and has been abandoned by most every legitimate trainer. The blood needs to be pumped throughout the body to all the muscles before any attempt to perform any exercises that stretch them. In this case the athletes were mostly dormant for the past year, and just now trying to get back into shape. Of all muscles that are affected by dormancy, it is the calf muscles (which are attached to the Achilles tendon )..............they go through greatest shortening with extended dormancy. Therefore, athletes must have a great awareness when it comes to trying to stretch the calf muscles to normal length too quickly........it must be done over days to weeks. The strength and conditioning trainer who oversaw this activity should be shown the door.............to the nearest training school.

On the same day, 2 other CFL players suffered the same fate...........details of those Achilles ruptures are not released yet. But I assure you that dormancy plus quick stretch were the main factors.

CFL players union alarmed after 4 Roughriders suffer torn Achilles tendons in 6 minutes

The Canadian Football League did not play at all last season because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which means the CFL needs to be particularly cautious about players easing themselves back into football shape. The players union says that did not happen at team workouts this week.

Incredibly, four different players on the Saskatchewan Roughriders suffered torn Achilles tendons during a six-minute stretch during one workout on Thursday, and two different players on other teams suffered torn Achilles tendons on the same day. The CFL players union is putting the blame squarely on league and team officials.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España
This practice session began with a drill requiring forceful acute push off from a standstill to beat a medicine ball that was thrown into the air before it hit the ground. No warm ups were performed. I've written repeatedly that the old approach of stretching exercises prior to other workouts should never be done............and has been abandoned by most every legitimate trainer. The blood needs to be pumped throughout the body to all the muscles before any attempt to perform any exercises that stretch them. In this case the athletes were mostly dormant for the past year, and just now trying to get back into shape. Of all muscles that are affected by dormancy, it is the calf muscles (which are attached to the Achilles tendon )..............they go through greatest shortening with extended dormancy. Therefore, athletes must have a great awareness when it comes to trying to stretch the calf muscles to normal length too quickly........it must be done over days to weeks. The strength and conditioning trainer who oversaw this activity should be shown the door.............to the nearest training school.

On the same day, 2 other CFL players suffered the same fate...........details of those Achilles ruptures are not released yet. But I assure you that dormancy plus quick stretch were the main factors.

CFL players union alarmed after 4 Roughriders suffer torn Achilles tendons in 6 minutes

The Canadian Football League did not play at all last season because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which means the CFL needs to be particularly cautious about players easing themselves back into football shape. The players union says that did not happen at team workouts this week.

Incredibly, four different players on the Saskatchewan Roughriders suffered torn Achilles tendons during a six-minute stretch during one workout on Thursday, and two different players on other teams suffered torn Achilles tendons on the same day. The CFL players union is putting the blame squarely on league and team officials.

THE REST OF THE STORY
That is just horrible! You’d think professional trainers would know better, but I guess not.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Remember, the NFL Injury Report system was supposedly established for the the purpose of

The policy requires that teams provide credible, accurate and specific information about injured players to the league office, their opponents, local and national media, and the league’s broadcast partners each week during the regular season and postseason.

The reporting process is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.
It has always been a facade...........little more than a joke. It's main purpose has always been the "unwritten major source" for the establishment of Vegas gambling odds.

Now that legalized gambling on games has been opened, the system already with sadly compromised integrity will undoubtedly deteriorate giving way to gross corruption.

The return of Elliot Ness becomes a strong eventual probability.

*************************************************************************************

NFL knows it must reconsider accountability for hiding and faking injuries
July 19, 2021, 5:11 PM EDT

The NFL publicly has had nothing to say about the news that quarterback Tom Brady played the entire 2020 season with a torn MCL in his knee without the Buccaneers ever disclosing the injury. Privately, the NFL recognizes the potential problems that can arise from teams violating the injury report.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league realizes that it must reconsider the degree of accountability when it comes to the hiding and/or faking of injuries. Last year, the league had a handful of situations involving failure to report injuries, and at least two situations where the league identified the faking of an injury during games.

The league has approached these matters with less and less transparency, refraining from making it known to the world that its teams lie and cheat when it comes to injuries. Put simply, the league doesn’t want those who may regulate (or prosecute) responsible persons to realize how widespread the problem is. The league nevertheless knows that it must insist on greater compliance in order to prevent future problems with politicians or prosecutors, and that could result (sooner or later) in the league-imposed penalties increasing for violations — along with a more aggressive effort by the league to enforce infractions.

Flipping widespread violations to uniform compliance will require a dramatic shift in the culture of secrecy that prompts teams to keep opponents in the dark when it comes to the true health or lack thereof of its players. The Buccaneers understandably hid Brady’s knee injury to keep defensive players from “testing” the knee. One hit, intentional or accidental (or “accidental”), could have ended the season for Brady and, in turn, for the team.
Thus, it won’t be easy to get teams to embrace the importance of transparency and accuracy regarding injury information. It’s nevertheless critical to do so. Without compliance, inside information exists. Gamblers will try to find it. Persons who have it could be contacted and potentially corrupted for it. Those relationships could grow, and what began as an effort to obtain inside information regarding the health of a given player could expand. Eventually, depending on the role of the person involved, efforts could be undertaken to shave points or rig a prop bet.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Remember, the NFL Injury Report system was supposedly established for the the purpose of

It has always been a facade...........little more than a joke. It's main purpose has always been the "unwritten major source" for the establishment of Vegas gambling odds.

Now that legalized gambling on games has been opened, the system already with sadly compromised integrity will undoubtedly deteriorate giving way to gross corruption.

The return of Elliot Ness becomes a strong eventual probability.

*************************************************************************************

NFL knows it must reconsider accountability for hiding and faking injuries
July 19, 2021, 5:11 PM EDT

The NFL publicly has had nothing to say about the news that quarterback Tom Brady played the entire 2020 season with a torn MCL in his knee without the Buccaneers ever disclosing the injury. Privately, the NFL recognizes the potential problems that can arise from teams violating the injury report.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league realizes that it must reconsider the degree of accountability when it comes to the hiding and/or faking of injuries. Last year, the league had a handful of situations involving failure to report injuries, and at least two situations where the league identified the faking of an injury during games.

The league has approached these matters with less and less transparency, refraining from making it known to the world that its teams lie and cheat when it comes to injuries. Put simply, the league doesn’t want those who may regulate (or prosecute) responsible persons to realize how widespread the problem is. The league nevertheless knows that it must insist on greater compliance in order to prevent future problems with politicians or prosecutors, and that could result (sooner or later) in the league-imposed penalties increasing for violations — along with a more aggressive effort by the league to enforce infractions.

Flipping widespread violations to uniform compliance will require a dramatic shift in the culture of secrecy that prompts teams to keep opponents in the dark when it comes to the true health or lack thereof of its players. The Buccaneers understandably hid Brady’s knee injury to keep defensive players from “testing” the knee. One hit, intentional or accidental (or “accidental”), could have ended the season for Brady and, in turn, for the team.
Thus, it won’t be easy to get teams to embrace the importance of transparency and accuracy regarding injury information. It’s nevertheless critical to do so. Without compliance, inside information exists. Gamblers will try to find it. Persons who have it could be contacted and potentially corrupted for it. Those relationships could grow, and what began as an effort to obtain inside information regarding the health of a given player could expand. Eventually, depending on the role of the person involved, efforts could be undertaken to shave points or rig a prop bet.
THE REST OF THE STORY
this is why I don’t feel any kind of way about these new players crying about concussions & pain and how their bodies have fallen apart once they stop playing…everyone knows these dudes hide injuries. At some point you just have to consider your long term Health & in no other sport except maybe MMA do guys just willing disregard sound medical advice like players do in the NFL.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Marcus Canon underwent a "minor" knee cleanout surgery. He has been placed on the PUP active list. He is supposedly to be ready to return in a couple of weeks. But I expect that he may miss most if not all of the preseason.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Can't help but seeing this as seeming to follow a pattern of underestimation of extent of injuries by medical/training staff..............just like his groin problem resulting in worse than expected complicated bilateral sports hernia related surgeries.
Foster was a clear case of this. By the time the official reports were in, it was bone on bone. And he was getting groin injuries by sitting on the couch as his body was naturally trying to shift load off his knee.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Watson won't be taking the trip to play the Packers.........of course, because his foot and ankle are still bothering him and the coaching staff doesn't feel he is "ready" since he has missed so much practice time............cough, cough.......

Watson is not going to see any future game play for the Texans. If he remains on the active roster, he will remain "injured" throughout the year............as the media are barred from ever interviewing injured players............something that works to the advantage of both the Texans and Watson.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Omenihu was absent from practice today. It was reported as a "lower body" injury. During TC, there is no obligation for detail regarding injuries. However, I've found that he sustained a calf injury. Need to be conservative with this type of injury in a DL.........esp., during TC. Don't expect him to be available for Packers game.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Anthony Miller suffered a shoulder injury that was reported by some a possible clavicular fracture vs a "slight" shoulder dislocation (whatever that means). He carried his arm limp to his side........usually a sign of shoulder dislocation. With a clavicular fracture the player would be expected to stabilize the clavicle by having the opposite hand supporting the bent elbow of the involved side. Miller has had multiple dislocations of his left shoulder dating back to at least 2017. He played through it with a shoulder harness with some success, but it was inevitable that surgery was needed in 2019 for a shredded labrum tear. In 2020, a repeat of the same set of events led to another shoulder surgery. With this last dislocation, we will likely see him return in a harness which will likely compromise his potential performance. A third shoulder surgery may not be surprising sometime in his future. Meanwhile, I'm sure an MRI will tell us more soon.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Greenard has suffered what is reported to be a "little" (there' that word again) ankle sprain. I suspect that it is not a lateral ankle sprain, but actually a high ankle sprain. With the Gators he suffered a high ankle sprain in 2019, and tried to partly play through it, still remarkably gaining some impressive sack numbers. This injury lingered into the beginning of last season. Then mid season, he re-injured it. I would not expect him back under the best of circumstances in less than 3 weeks.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Additional information I've encountered re. Anthony Miller. Miller had two shoulder injuries during his days at Memphis – one to his right shoulder and one to his left shoulder. He reportedly had surgery to repair a torn labrum of his right shoulder, which forced him to miss the entire 2014 season. In addition, he had a “small labral tear” in his left shoulder that he played through during his final season in 2017.

His shoulder joints have certainly taken a beating.........something especially concerning in a young NFL receiver.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

As it turns out this may be something that could affect Prescott longer than anticipated. An MRI revealed that this was not a classic shoulder injury....not a labrum or rotator cuff injury, but a tear of the latissimus dorsi muscle. This tear may seem like a relatively benign injury. However, on the throwing side, this muscle has much to do with power delivery of the football by a QB. I would not consider this injury a "a day to day" injury. These tend to be nagging injuries that can easily be re-injured, especially if not given adequate time to fully rehab. There is a good chance that Prescott's major ankle injury is still not allowing him to gain maximum throw velocity.......leading him to compensate power from his latissimus dorsi..........leading to its tear.

Although this article is about pitchers, most of the basic principles are quite similar.:

Latissimus Tears: The Newest Injury for Throwing Athletes (Part I)
02/22/2019
Just when you thought rehabbing pitchers was hard enough, a new injury has emerged in the throwing population

With Spring Training underway, baseball is officially back! As a fan, I am more than excited. As a medical professional and a PT who spends a lot of time treating the baseball population, I know my schedule is about to ramp up. As Posner, et al (2011) found, April is the month with the highest injury rates for MLB players, with pitchers having a 34% higher injury than position players. One of the injuries we are seeing more often than in years past in our professional pitchers are latissimus injuries. For a lot of reasons, we will discuss below, it seems that latissimus injuries are being diagnosed more frequently than they were in decades past. It was not until 2010 that the first lat repair surgery was performed on a professional baseball player, when Jake Peavy went under the knife. Since then, many of the game’s biggest stars, including Stephen Strasburg, Fernando Rodriguez, Clayton Kershaw, Noah Syndergaard, and Cardinals top prospect Alex Reyes have sustained lat injuries. In a systematic review of 30 professional baseball pitchers, Mehdi, Frangiamore, & Schickendantz (2016) found that the average time required to return to pitching was 99.8 days for the non-operative group and 140 days for the surgically treated group. As you can see, once you sustain a lat injury, the recovery is slow.

THE REST OF THE STORY
This is a point I emphasized in my post above re. his latissiumus dorsi muscle tear.

Will Dak Prescott be less than 100 percent all year?
August 21, 2021, 9:56 AM EDT

During halftime of Friday night’s Chiefs-Cardinals game on ESPN, Adam Schefter made a comment that felt initially like a throwaway line but that, based on the words used, seems significant after playing it back a couple of times.

Regarding Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and his lingering absence due to a shoulder strain, Schefter said, “He’s not fully back, he may not be back all season long.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm so confused... why after so many years all NFL injuries are moved here. C'mon mods
Right!! This should be TEXANS injuries only!! Don't give a rat's ass about other team's injuries, and if I did I'll go to the NFL SECTION to see them.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Don't expect Conley back from IR anytime soon. His "minor ankle screw removal'' surgery is not responding well to rehab. When I looked into it closer, I found it curious that Conley had no history of ankle surgery. But looking further into it, I found that he had a tibial fracture in 2017. Then digging deeper into it, I found that he had been repaired, not with plates and screws, but with an intramedulary (through the central marrow of the bone) rod. This procedure requires stabilization of the rod with screws at the proximal and distal ends of the rod. Depending on the exact configuration and positioning of the rod, the distal screw(s) can be placed in the ankle region. This no doubt explains the ankle screw with no ankle surgery.

View attachment 6766
For Conley to be out this long, I can't help but think that he has had a non-union of the old fracture with instability, or complicating smoldering infection of the bone (osteomyelitis) where the screw was (which would explain why the screw was removed in the first place). In either case, I believe that conservative rehab is futile.......and I would be surprised if he can return at all this season. There are no options I can see at this point that would not require surgery in order to address his problem properly.
Osteomyelitis from an unstable fracture with loosened screw finally required cleanout/bone debridement, bone grafting and new stabilizing hardware.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1631149614690.png
COLLINS [KNEE].............APPARENTLY AN MCL RE-INJURY CARRY OVER FROM LAST YEAR............HE WILL BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY.

L. JOHNSON [THIGH]..............ACTUALLY A GRADE II QUAD SUSTAINED IN BUCS PRESEASON GAME...........IF TRIES TO PLAY, WILL BE HIGH RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

MERCILUS [THIGH]............ACTUALLY REHABBING A GRADE I HAMSTRING SUSTAINED AGAINST
THE BUCS IN PRESEASON............IF PLAYS, SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

PIERRE-LOUIS [THIGH]............UNSPECIFIED, BUT LIKELY HAMSTRING, AS HE HAS DEALT WITH THIS INJURY IN THE PAST..............IF PLAYS, SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

*WORTH MENTIONING NOT ON INJURY REPORT:

HECK [COVID]............WILL NOT PLAY WEEK 1

PHAROAH BROWN [COVID VACCINE]..........SEVERE REACTION...............WILL BE OUT INDEFINITELY

FAIRBAIRN [UNDISCLOSED MUSCLE TEAR]...............ON IR, WILL NOT RETURN BEFORE WEEK 4.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1631215518644.png

CB HERNDON [KNEE]................SUSTAINED IN THE JAGS 1ST PRESEASON GAME.............SPECIFICALLY, HE IS DEALING WITH A GRADE II MCL TEAR............I DO NOT EXPECT HIM TO BE ABLE TO PLAY SUNDAY.

CB TYSON CAMPBELL [CALF]............SUSTAINED A GRADE I CALF TEAR LATE LAST MONTH.............RETURN FROM THIS INJURY CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM 1-3 WEEKS.............HE WILL PROBABLY TRY TO PLAY SUNDAY...........CALF INJURIES, EVEN THOSE OF LESSER DEGREE SUCH AS THIS ONE IS STILL NOTORIOUS FOR LATER RE-INJURY.

Dejaview

All Pro
View attachment 8973
COLLINS [KNEE].............APPARENTLY AN MCL RE-INJURY CARRY OVER FROM LAST YEAR............HE WILL BE QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY.

L. JOHNSON [THIGH]..............ACTUALLY A GRADE II QUAD SUSTAINED IN BUCS PRESEASON GAME...........IF TRIES TO PLAY, WILL BE HIGH RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

MERCILUS [THIGH]............ACTUALLY REHABBING A GRADE I HAMSTRING SUSTAINED AGAINST
THE BUCS IN PRESEASON............IF PLAYS, SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

PIERRE-LOUIS [THIGH]............UNSPECIFIED, BUT LIKELY HAMSTRING, AS HE HAS DEALT WITH THIS INJURY IN THE PAST..............IF PLAYS, SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY.

*WORTH MENTIONING NOT ON INJURY REPORT:

HECK [COVID]............WILL NOT PLAY WEEK 1

PHAROAH BROWN [COVID VACCINE]..........SEVERE REACTION...............WILL BE OUT INDEFINITELY

FAIRBAIRN [UNDISCLOSED MUSCLE TEAR]...............ON IR, WILL NOT RETURN BEFORE WEEK 4.
I’ve got ”knees and thighs” everyday but I still get out there and kick ass everyday…*******.