Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

Back from their Bye, D’Onta Foreman was still not practicing in the open portion of practice today. Foreman says that although he thinks his practice will begin this week, the coaching staff has not informed him of a clearance to do so yet.

NFL Rulebook Will Force the Texans to Make a Decision on D'Onta Foreman

byPatrick D. Starr3 hrs-edited

.............With Foreman currently on the Reserve/PUP list, the Texans can activate him for a 21-day window to practice with the team. It appears the Texans are using a bylaw to its fullest extent on when Foreman can return.

Under Article XII Section 12.3 regarding a player listed in the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform category, the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Football League reads accordingly:

"Commencing the day after the club’s sixth regular season game (including any bye week), and continuing through the day after the club’s ninth regular season game (including any bye week), clubs are permitted to bring practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 days. At any time during the 21-day practice period or not later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, clubs are permitted to restore such players to their Active/Inactive list"

This means that the Texans have until Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. Eastern of this week to activate the 21-day practice window on Foreman, giving him the potential to get back with the team this season. The Texans have not been in a rush to get Foreman back on the field and the team's primary goal appears to be the running back's long-term health.

Starting tomorrow, the clock is ticking on the Texans from a rules standpoint regarding the Foreman. situation starting tomorrow.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am not so sure that Patrick is interpreting the time line correctly (or maybe, I'm not). But as I see it, the deadline is not tommorrow.

The fact that Foreman, although he is eligible to begin practice this week and is apparently not going to, tells me that the Texans are afraid that he may not make the 3 week window before he is prepared to be activated to play.............or be placed on IR. This said, it is unlikely that if we see Foreman in a game, it will be less than a month from now.

To review, if Foreman isn’t activated after the sixth week, the team has a six week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1) place him on injured reserve; 2) release him; or 3) get him back to practice. As soon as Foreman does return to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the him back to the 53-man roster, or place him on IR. This means that the Texans can effectively hold him on PUP until Week 15. At that point, they either have to place him on IR, activate him to the 53-man roster, or release him.

I thought he had until week 12 then three weeks to be either active or placed on injured reserve. If able he could play during any of the three weeks, but I don't expect him to. If he cannot get on field by week 15...

apparently according to Pat with the new NFL by laws there is no time frame to activate the 21 day window, the team can activate it whenever. Even passed the previous deadline of 3p.m. CST today

Now due to new bylaws, that rule is no longer in place and the Texans can activate the the window on Foreman whenever they chose too. There is no longer a set time period when the Texans have to activate the window on Foreman according to the NFLs updated Bylaws.

https://footballmaven.io/texans/gm-...an-but-no-rush-needed-lOOw3q__V02VORAkEiEwgA/

apparently according to Pat with the new NFL by laws there is no time frame to activate the 21 day window, the team can activate it whenever. Even passed the previous deadline of 3p.m. CST today

Now due to new bylaws, that rule is no longer in place and the Texans can activate the the window on Foreman whenever they chose too. There is no longer a set time period when the Texans have to activate the window on Foreman according to the NFLs updated Bylaws.

https://footballmaven.io/texans/gm-...an-but-no-rush-needed-lOOw3q__V02VORAkEiEwgA/

Players coming off PUP are under the same rules for return as players designated for return from IR. The catch, of course is that they must immediately be activated to the roster........thus taking up a roster spot. Players and teams no longer have the luxury of testing the waters for 3 weeks. Roster spots have gotten very precious for the Texans. The last thing they want to do is activate a lame or potentially nonproductive player.

D'Onta Foreman is off the pup list and returned to practice today. He now has 21 days to prove he's ready to return or be placed on the IR list for the remainder of the season.
He likely won't play this week against the Redskins but very well could be ready for the Monday night game against the Titans in a week and a half. His return will add another dangerous weapon to Watson's already dangerous arsenal.
Welcome back D'Onta.

Last edited:
Won't be surprised to find Watson on the Injury Report with right finger/hand. The last couple of games, he has not been running as much, specifically juging back and forth the way he did last year. Besides play calling and learning to stay in the pocket, this could very well be due to him experiencing some instability of his latest ACL repair and/or questioning his repair.

Any early word on the guards? Both looked questionable so seemed like if something happened they would have sent Fulton back in. I guess they get an extra day to heal, but seems these guards are patched up and cannot last a game

Both guards, hopefully good news regarding Cunningham (Peters/Scarlett struggle) and Alex Smith as well. That was pretty gruesome. I obviously couldn't do what doc does, just watching it once on tv was more than I cared to see lol.

Any early word on the guards? Both looked questionable so seemed like if something happened they would have sent Fulton back in. I guess they get an extra day to heal, but seems these guards are patched up and cannot last a game

No word final word on Kelemete, but to me it looked like a high ankle sprain.
Looks like Fulton's shoulder popped out and back in.

Both guards, hopefully good news regarding Cunningham (Peters/Scarlett struggle) and Alex Smith as well. That was pretty gruesome. I obviously couldn't do what doc does, just watching it once on tv was more than I cared to see lol.
A grade II MCL on Cunningham may allow him to return in the next 2 weeks while wearing a brace.

Ouch on the shoulder, glad we let him take the rest of the game off. Kelemente will need a break (should at least) based on what I have learned from Doc on high ankle sprains

Ouch on the shoulder, glad we let him take the rest of the game off. Kelemente will need a break (should at least) based on what I have learned from Doc on high ankle sprains
IR wouldn't surprise me but with so many injuries along the OL, the Texans might be forced to try to get him back on the field.

Won't be surprised to find Watson on the Injury Report with right finger/hand. The last couple of games, he has not been running as much, specifically juging back and forth the way he did last year. Besides play calling and learning to stay in the pocket, this could very well be due to him experiencing some instability of his latest ACL repair and/or questioning his repair.
Doc, what would DW4 be feeling to making him question his ACL repair? That's one injury I haven't suffered. Soreness, swelling?

Watson has looked fine to me. If there is video of this purported gimp that is affecting his game please post otherwise it's conjecture, while based in vast experience; conjecture nonetheless.

I'd say Watson is trying to satisfy the '''stop running or you will die a slow death" crowd mostly led by Obrien himself. Watson is the 4th best rushing QB currently, has run for 13 first downs and seems to always be looking diwnfield for the bigger play. He's under constant pressure and has seen some good defenses. All more probable reasons to a slow down in rushing numbers than a reinjured knee.

The last couple of games, he has not been running as much, specifically juging back and forth the way he did last year. Besides play calling and learning to stay in the pocket, this could very well be due to him experiencing some instability of his latest ACL repair and/or questioning his repair.

Or it could be that he’s just wising up. I kinda like that he’s not running as much. He just might make it to the end of the season. The odds are against that, but maybe not as much.

Watson has looked fine to me. If there is video of this purported gimp that is affecting his game please post otherwise it's conjecture, while based in vast experience; conjecture nonetheless.

I'd say Watson is trying to satisfy the '''stop running or you will die a slow death" crowd mostly led by Obrien himself. Watson is the 4th best rushing QB currently, has run for 13 first downs and seems to always be looking diwnfield for the bigger play. He's under constant pressure and has seen some good defenses. All more probable reasons to a slow down in rushing numbers than a reinjured knee.

I suspect that somehow, there are those that would want to directly ask a player if he is having any problems with their knee.......and expect an honest answer. I've worked with enough players to confidently say that players, teams and their Injury Reports are equally dishonest. As far as Watson, it is not what he is doing, but what he isn't doing that will catch the eye of physician used to looking for covert signs of specific injuries. Watson is indeed probably getting smarter and running less (as I've posted, much like you, in the past). And no doubt he has run less. But when he does run, you don't see him spin to change direction (rotational stresses) like he did most of last year when he was trying to avoid sacks. This is what you will see in an athlete that is still questioning his full stability. This does not mean that his knee will wobble apart, but it means it will create hesitancy.

There are "magic numbers" that tend to be assigned to return to play.............in the case of an ACL, 9-12 months. But the time that optimal rehab has been achieved both physically and emotionally is variable and can be much longer.

One thing I can definitely tell you without qualification.............a smart player (which we all are thinking/hoping Watson is) will tend to learn from injury, especially major injury..............to train and play smarter. Ask yourself how long it took for JJ to learn this lesson.

Or it could be that he’s just wising up. I kinda like that he’s not running as much. He just might make it to the end of the season. The odds are against that, but maybe not as much.
It seems his "hesitancy" for lack of better word is when running around behind LOS where lateral movements and twisting of knee/ankles comes into play than just running forward. I doubt "wising up" comes into play..he knows whom he is.

I suspect that somehow, there are those that would want to directly ask a player if he is having any problems with their knee.......and expect an honest answer. I've worked with enough players to confidently say that players, teams and their Injury Reports are equally dishonest. As far as Watson, it is not what he is doing, but what he isn't doing that will catch the eye of physician used to looking for covert signs of specific injuries. Watson is indeed probably getting smarter and running less (as I've posted, much like you, in the past). And no doubt he has run less. But when he does run, you don't see him spin to change direction (rotational stresses) like he did most of last year when he was trying to avoid sacks. This is what you will see in an athlete that is still questioning his full stability. This does not mean that his knee will wobble apart, but it means it will create hesitancy.

There are "magic numbers" that tend to be assigned to return to play.............in the case of an ACL, 9-12 months. But the time that optimal rehab has been achieved both physically and emotionally is variable and can be much longer.

One thing I can definitely tell you without qualification.............a smart player (which we all are thinking/hoping Watson is) will tend to learn from injury, especially major injury..............to train and play smarter. Ask yourself how long it took for JJ to learn this lesson.

You're sevice to this board is unquestioned Doc. Few fan sites have the type of insight that we are given by your long tenure as an MD. I dont want to diminish that in any way, only open for discussion the possibility that sometimes the doctors are wrong. Sometimes its not a sinister underlying cause, but something as simple as a human brain fart. While Watson isnt pirouetting about making multiple guys miss, and then running for 50 yard gains, he is buying enough time with his legs, and using them as a last ditch option this year. Most of that I would imagine comes from Obrien who has seen enough of his franchise guy getting the snot beat out of him by trying to do too much. You're right JJ Watt was pushing his body way too hard after surgery and didnt heal right and then tried to play the most physical sport on earth in that condition, that was dumb by JJ and moreso by the medical professionals who allowed that to happen. Money, ratings, need to win sometimes override the common sense to be patient.

Educate me about scar tissue ... could there be something in the knee that isnt as sinister as a probable reinjury, but like Jadeveon went through before the season a "clean up" everyone was up in arms about that procedure and it sure seems like JDC is doing quite alright. Maybe its just an issue of comfort? Still though im just allowing myself to compromise, I would have to see noticeable signs of an issue before I posit this further. He walks fine, he runs fine, and by God he's throwing fine.

You're sevice to this board is unquestioned Doc. Few fan sites have the type of insight that we are given by your long tenure as an MD. I dont want to diminish that in any way, only open for discussion the possibility that sometimes the doctors are wrong. Sometimes its not a sinister underlying cause, but something as simple as a human brain fart. While Watson isnt pirouetting about making multiple guys miss, and then running for 50 yard gains, he is buying enough time with his legs, and using them as a last ditch option this year. Most of that I would imagine comes from Obrien who has seen enough of his franchise guy getting the snot beat out of him by trying to do too much. You're right JJ Watt was pushing his body way too hard after surgery and didnt heal right and then tried to play the most physical sport on earth in that condition, that was dumb by JJ and moreso by the medical professionals who allowed that to happen. Money, ratings, need to win sometimes override the common sense to be patient.

Educate me about scar tissue ... could there be something in the knee that isnt as sinister as a probable reinjury, but like Jadeveon went through before the season a "clean up" everyone was up in arms about that procedure and it sure seems like JDC is doing quite alright. Maybe its just an issue of comfort? Still though im just allowing myself to compromise, I would have to see noticeable signs of an issue before I posit this further. He walks fine, he runs fine, and by God he's throwing fine.
Good post!. If you read my post, I am not saying he has sustained a re-injury. Variability of ACL rehab is dependent on several factors, but the most critical is the scar tissue and re-education of the muscles. Scar tissue normally forms as a part of healing......sometimes it can be softened and released..........other times, it will continue to build over months and years, and overcome the efforts of rehab to regain comfort and function, to the point of requiring surgery. Re-education of muscles that coordinate knee movements are affected by the presence of such scar tissue and/ any accompanying discomfort. With a knee, it is amazing how little areas of compromise can create small but significant differences in performance for which a player will look for ways to compensate.

Has there been an announcement on the injuries to Kelemete and Fulton?

No official definitive word except for Fulton saying that "I fell on his shoulder awkwardly, but didn't dislocate it" and the Texans saying that "Kelemete injured his ankle." This from the Game Day thread:

Reviewing the play on Kelemete, his foot was planted and twisted when rolled up on and hit just below the knee region...............this is not a lateral ankle sprain.............it has to be a high ankle injury .

Fulton looks like he injured his right shoulder.

From the Injury Thread after the game:

No word final word on Kelemete, but to me it looked like a high ankle sprain.
Looks like Fulton's shoulder popped out and back in.

Still not so sure that Fulton didn't suffer a shoulder subluxation (incomplete dislocation) that spontaneously reduced.

Dylan Cole has been activated off of IR!!
Actually, he returned to practice today. He is now in the 21 day window to be returned to the active roster. Teams are allowed to return 2 players of off ir after 6 weeks and eligible to play after 8. The Texans now have their 2 players in that category of being eligible to return. Cole and Foreman. Let's hope they both return soon and contribute. That could add an extra layer of protection to the defense and another weapon for Watson on offense.
Things could look really good for the Texans going into the last part of the season.

Actually, he returned to practice today. He is now in the 21 day window to be returned to the active roster. Teams are allowed to return 2 players of off ir after 6 weeks and eligible to play after 8. The Texans now have their 2 players in that category of being eligible to return. Cole and Foreman. Let's hope they both return soon and contribute. That could add an extra layer of protection to the defense and another weapon for Watson on offense.
Things could look really good for the Texans going into the last part of the season.

I might be wrong here but I dont believe Foreman counts as 1 of our 2 designated to returns since he was on the PUP list and not IR.

I might be wrong here but I dont believe Foreman counts as 1 of our 2 designated to returns since he was on the PUP list and not IR.
You might be right. That means the Texans have 1 more spot for someone like Kevin Johnson to return. That could be even better.

In your professional opinion should Kevin Johnson play again this season? In my non-medical professional opinion that kid should worry about his future more than the present. It was frightening seeing him go down.

LINK

I don't know what's with the Texans and the media outlets, but no one talks about the 3RD concussion

within a year...........the first being Nov 19, 2017 (<10 months from this recent one).

The media nor the team have yet to be talking about the 3rd concussion. He has at least 500% increased risk of sustaining another concussion within the next 6-12 months...........and each concussion creates cumulative brain damage. Johnson is likely to end up like Fiedo. His performances in the past several years somewhat due to numerous injuries............including 3 major lower extremity injuries............and much due to the fact that he has never been able to regain NFL speed makes me question why he would take the risk of further concussions.............especially this year.........but also going forward at all. If this isn't enough, a 2017 study in the Journal of Sports Medicine findings revealed that the odds of sustaining a lower extremity musculoskeletal injury were 3.39 times higher in the concussed athletes returning to play within the same season compared to athletes with no documented history of concussions.

The media nor the team have yet to be talking about the 3rd concussion. He has at least 500% increased risk of sustaining another concussion within the next 6-12 months...........and each concussion creates cumulative brain damage. Johnson is likely to end up like Fiedo. His performances in the past several years somewhat due to numerous injuries............including 3 major lower extremity injuries............and much due to the fact that he has never been able to regain NFL speed makes me question why he would take the risk of further concussions.............especially this year.........but also going forward at all. If this isn't enough, a 2017 study in the Journal of Sports Medicine findings revealed that the odds of sustaining a lower extremity musculoskeletal injury were 3.39 times higher in the concussed athletes returning to play within the same season compared to athletes with no documented history of concussions.
If it were me, I would bow out.
Your health is your most precious gift - he needs to face the truth - he will likely be a casualty if he continues to play.
I for one would not hold it against him.

If it were me, I would bow out.
Your health is your most precious gift - he needs to face the truth - he will likely be a casualty if he continues to play.
I for one would not hold it against him.

Man, neither would I. And just because the media or the team hasn’t commented on his 3rd concussion, it’s downright preposterous to think, given what’s recently been learned, that he hasn’t been advised to retire.

When I saw him go down with that third one, I just assumed that was it. If he comes back to play, he’s an idiot IMO, and furthermore, if the team allows him to continue playing, they should be condemned.

Last edited:
If the Texans medical staff allowed Tom Savage to lobster up in one of the most disgusting concussions I've ever seen, and then ALLOWED HIM TO GO BACK ON THE FIELD for a series I have no faith whatsoever they know what the hell they are doing. So I guess we can expect KJ to be back in the starting lineup next year.

Doc, when you have time and info share updates on Kareem Jackson & Clowney. I saw note in another thread you thought MCL on former and I'm concerned Clowney went down then walked off on own. I missed that play though friends thought he was hurt badly. He did return game. Also did you think Davenport handled the "harness" you mention prior to game to protect shoulder? Any new thoughts on Colvin? Thanks!

Doc, when you have time and info share updates on Kareem Jackson & Clowney. I saw note in another thread you thought MCL on former and I'm concerned Clowney went down then walked off on own. I missed that play though friends thought he was hurt badly. He did return game. Also did you think Davenport handled the "harness" you mention prior to game to protect shoulder? Any new thoughts on Colvin? Thanks!

It wasn't KAREEM Jackson I posted the MCL on, it was ADOREE Jackson. Davenport apparently chose not to wear a brace. He kept his hands close to his body and avoided extending at the shoulder, thus limiting his ability to knock his opponent back during pass protection. Colvin was somewhat hesitant, especially when changing direction. But that would be expected early in his return. I did not watch the entire game. When did the Clowney incident occur?

Back