Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

Can anyone elaborate on the lingering effects of DT's slight tear in his hip labrum from the past? Supposedly he still suffered from it in preseason this year and has been playing though it.
Oh god.

Paging cloaknnndagger...

DT has been dealing with this hip labrum tear since 2016. He has admitted that it has negatively affected him since then (a major factor, besides the QB play he has had to work with, which led him to contemplate retirement). It is apparently a lesser tear without the joint instability usually associated with disruptive peripheral tears (which usually leads to surgery). Pain has been the main limiting factor. Just recently, he has taken a serious approach to countering this problem. Weight control, weight training modification, physical therapy..............and most importantly, a strict diet targeting the lessening of body inflammation. As well as he has done thus far without the benefit of this concentrated regimen, I would expect that his feeling that he has been given a new lease on life and a re-invigorated body is not just player speak. Following this new regimen religiously, DT stands a decent chance of being able to avoid surgery and enjoy many more years of productive play.

Demaryius Thomas reinvigorated by radical lifestyle change

Last edited:

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 11m11 minutes ago

Bill O'Brien said the Texans will "more than likely" start the 21-day window to add RB D'Onta Forman to the active roster after the bye week.

That means that Foreman will not have been cleared to practice until at least 1 year following the rupture. Keep in mind, that by all accounts he was expected to recover in time to start in week 1. His rehab has definitely not gone as expected.

That means that Foreman will not have been cleared to practice until at least 1 year following the rupture. Keep in mind, that by all accounts he was expected to recover in time to start in week 1. His rehab has definitely not gone as expected.
my question is: Have the people responsible for that initial "ready to start week 1" assessment been replaced?

Of course not.............but they are changing their Ouija board every week in search of the correct answers.:)
...and here I thought they had upgraded to more modern tech....

giphy.gif

I have yet to hear when the Texans are flying to Denver. You're hearing virtually nothing about the effects of Denver's high altitude can be expected to have on our players.

As opposed to how some here Would like to point to exceptions to the rule, Texans players will definitely be affected. Houston's altitude is approximately 80 feet. Denver's altitude"s over 50,000 feet. This change in altitude causes many bodily function changes. The oxygen in the air is less, causing players to be oxygen hungry with compensatory herventilation. This low oxygen level essentially impairs all aerobic performance. In altitudes above 3500 feet, lung tissue fluid accumulation is notorious. The higher up, greater reduction of lung volume capacity consistent with the fluid accumulation in the lung tissues. Cold air that carries little humidity further complicates breathing and can encourage bronchial spasm. Because of the critical role played by the respiratory system in the adaptive and maladaptive response, patients with underlying lung disease may be at increased risk for complications in this environment and warrant careful evaluation before traveling to such background.

A player like Watson who has sustained a recent long bruise can be somewhat worrisome if it is not entirely resolved. The danger of lung policing is that it creates a situation where fluid accumulates in the lung tissue. If this condition is not entirely resolved, the increased altitude especially acutely exacerbates fluid accumulation as I chronicled above. Also, because of the low atmospheric pressure at high altitudes, a recently collapsed lung even when fully re-inflated can be caused to re-collapse. The headlines have read that Watson has been cleared to fly. Although flying does carry some risk to change in pressure in an airplane, this is minimal with a pressurized cabin as compared to being in open extreme altitude. The real concern does not come until Watson plays in the suboptimal conditions of Mile High Stadium.

It takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the body to fully compensate for the change in altitude from Houston to Denver. It takes at least one to two weeks to make any significant compensations for the change. But even a couple of days can at least help. The main physiologic change that you want affected is one of the blood being able to carry more oxygen in order to compensate for the low oxygen in the air. The body tries to compensate by producing more red blood cells which are responsible for carrying the oxygen through their hemoglobin (the actual oxygen carrier) content. The more red blood cells the more hemoglobin available to carry oxygen throughout the body. Therefore the longer the exposure to the higher extreme altitudes, the more red blood cells and their hemoglobin can be produced in order to deliver the needed oxygen especially to muscle tissues.... trying to minimize fatigue, cramping and soft tissue tears from occurring.

Flying in on Saturday is far from a wise decision, especially with our team's known history of injuries. Not only that, but it has been shown that acute extreme changes in altitude will destroy the ability to experience any decent REM sleep........ further setting up our players for fatigue and injury.

Do the Broncos usually allow their opponents to use their practice facilities, or practice at the stadium before games? I mean if you are going to play with an advantage you might as well play with the full advantage of the altitude right? I would understand not traveling up there early if there was no way for them to practice once they got there. Other than that I have no way to rationalize the decision

In years past I moved from Houston to Denver two or three times for work assignments and as a jogger/runner at the time I for sure felt the difference from the changes in altitude but it didn't hit me until being out there for several days.
And on another occassion about 5 years ago went to the Yellowstone (Wyoming, Montana) area and did lots of hiking and fishing, and Yellowstone is more like 7K feet, so quit a bit higher than Denver. So I ended up getting altitude sickness which included diarrhea and significant physical fatigue after being there several days but in other such trips when I did a better job of hydrating myself had no such problems.
So I dunno what to make of that, the effect of the higher altitude ? Now of course I realize playing an NFL football game is much more physically strenuous and challenging than say a 30 minute jog.

Do the Broncos usually allow their opponents to use their practice facilities, or practice at the stadium before games? I mean if you are going to play with an advantage you might as well play with the full advantage of the altitude right? I would understand not traveling up there early if there was no way for them to practice once they got there. Other than that I have no way to rationalize the decision
I remember in the Kubiak years, we traveled to Denver quite early.

In years past I moved from Houston to Denver two or three times for work assignments and as a jogger/runner at the time I for sure felt the difference from the changes in altitude but it didn't hit me until being out there for several days.
And on another occassion about 5 years ago went to the Yellowstone (Wyoming, Montana) area and did lots of hiking and fishing, and Yellowstone is more like 7K feet, so quit a bit higher than Denver. So I ended up getting altitude sickness which included diarrhea and significant physical fatigue after being there several days but in other such trips when I did a better job of hydrating myself had no such problems.
So I dunno what to make of that, the effect of the higher altitude ? Now of course I realize playing an NFL football game is much more physically strenuous and challenging than say a 30 minute jog.
There is no way to beat the altitude issue in short time, but as I mentioned above, there are things that can help (which includes, as you mentioned, good hydration), most of all.......some acclimation time.

Here's an article I just came across that tells it like it is..............it's not a myth.
*************************************************************************************
Denver's Edge: How Altitude Provides Their Teams With The Greatest Home-Field Advantage in Sports

Updated: December 08, 2017
Denver.

The Mile High City.

Sitting exactly 5,280 feet above sea level, Denver has the highest elevation of any major U.S. city. This gives the professional sports teams who call it home an invisible edge that's all too real for opponents.

Since 1975, the Denver Broncos sport the best home record in the NFL. Since 2007, the Colorado Rockies have the 14th-best home record in the MLB—yet rank dead last in away record during that same span. Since 2003 (the longest data set I could find), the Denver Nuggets have the fourth-best home record in the NBA yet rank 13th in away record.

Coincidence? I wouldn't count on it. Denver's sky-high altitude rages war on visitor's bodies. The air is actually thinner, meaning each breath they draw contains less oxygen than they're accustomed to. It's also more difficult for the body to move that oxygen from the lungs into the bloodstream. This isn't a big deal for tourists, but for those who are expected to undergo intense physical activity—such as professional athletes—the effects can be suffocating. Heart rate, breathing rate and blood pressure all increase substantially as the body goes into overdrive in an attempt to deliver more oxygen to cells. Fatigue increases and rate of perceived exertion increases. It's a stressful change, and one that favors the hometown team in venues like Mile High Stadium, Coors Field and the Pepsi Center.

John Fox, who served as the Broncos head coach between 2011 and 2014, believes the edge is undeniable. "It's probably the best home-field advantage in the NFL," Fox told DenverBroncos.com in 2013. "That's why I think our home record is so good." The teams do everything possible to play up this X-factor. The Broncos have erected a large mural outside the visitor's locker room which makes reference to the elevation, and the Nuggets' PA announcer has been known to outline the symptoms of altitude sickness prior to tipoff.

Former New England Patriots linebacker Teddy Bruschi says it was impossible to ignore the altitude anytime he played a road game in Denver. "It's real," Bruschi told ESPN. "It affects you. The oxygen you're breathing into your muscle isn't the same. You feel yourself gasping."

Speaking of the Patriots, perhaps no team knows the damage Denver's Rocky Mountain air can wreak than this modern dynasty. Tom Brady has a career record of 4-7 at Mile High Stadium, a rare blemish on an otherwise impeccable career. It's his worst winning percentage at any venue, which is why some writers have dubbed Mile High Stadium as Brady's personal "House of Horrors."

Retired NBA center Chris Andersen has provided perhaps the most colorful description of Denver's altitude advantage, once telling Grizzlies.com playing at the Pepsi Center "was like (having) two midgets pulling on my lungs and they wouldn't let go." He's far from the only basketball player to feel that way—shortly after Andray Blatche visited Denver as a member of the Brooklyn Nets, he told the New York Daily News, "I thought my lungs were going to explode…I thought I ran about 10 miles." Former NBA player and coach Byron Scott said he was "dying" and felt like he "needed (an) oxygen mask" when he played his first game in Denver.

But why don't Denver players themselves suck wind during these same games? After all, they're breathing the same air. It's all about adaptation.

The human body can adapt to high altitude on a hormonal level, but it takes several days to weeks of 24/7 exposure. As the body adapts, the kidneys produce higher amounts of a hormone called erythropoietin. Higher level of erythropoietin leads to increased red blood cell production. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the muscles, and the more red blood cells you have, the more oxygen can be delivered. Once the increase of red blood cells plateaus and stops, you're fully adapted to the altitude. Staying hydrated during acclimatization can help the body adjust more efficiently. Additionally, acclimatization to high altitude can produce a greater number of microscopic blood vessels and enhance the body's ability to process lactic acid.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Get there late, get in game long enough to win, hope lung doesn't blow before then. Recover as much as possible then repeat cycle next opponent.

Edit sorry found comments on another thread---Doc any thoughts on following Texans at today's *Nov 1st practice:

Colvin limited, Zach Fulton limited, Hal limited
Ryan Griffin full

I guess first three surprises me specifically Colvin. I know it does not mean that any of those will actually play for certain but really offers hope.
https://www.houstontexans.com/team/injury-report/

Last edited:
Edit sorry found comments on another thread---Doc any thoughts on following Texans at today's *Nov 1st practice:

Colvin limited, Zach Fulton limited, Hal limited
Ryan Griffin full

I guess first three surprises me specifically Colvin. I know it does not mean that any of those will actually play for certain but really offers hope.
https://www.houstontexans.com/team/injury-report/
"Limited Participation" for those 3 coming back from injuries for which the player has not practiced before that, does not tell you much about what they did or what they were able to do. Without Full Participation for an entire week, I would not believe they would play.......and if they did, I would not expect that much from them, in addition to carrying a significant risk of re-injury/new injury. But nothing surprises me anymore with the Texans.

Is DT's injury that he's working on the same as Ed Reed's? I can't remember the post about hip labrum(?), but there was an "aww crap" bell that went off in my head when reading it.

Is DT's injury that he's working on the same as Ed Reed's? I can't remember the post about hip labrum(?), but there was an "aww crap" bell that went off in my head when reading it.
Reed indeed also had a hip issue, but it was much more serious and advanced. He had already undergone major hip reconstructive surgery in Aug. 2009 for femoral-acetabular impingement and articular cartilage and large labrum tears in his right hip. The season before he was picked up by the Texans, he was playing through another significant labrum tear.......extending the tear while becoming increasingly less mobile with associated downturn of performance. He required another labrum surgery shortly after being obtained by the Texans. The surgery, because of the extent of the damage was not successful in allowing him to return to even reasonable performance for the Texans.

DT's situation is very much different.

Glad to hear it, and assumed so with his play, but as I said an alarm bell went off with the similar terms - very much appreciate the clarification.

Last edited:

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 43m43 minutes ago

Bill O'Brien said rookie Keke Coutee has a chance to return this week but team will work him out on Saturday to determine if he's ready for Sunday, said several players are game-time decisions

Even considering letting him play this week coming off a 2nd hamstring leaves me shaking my head...........especially with the known effects on/association with Denver's high altitude on fatigue>muscle fatigue>muscle injuries............not to mention the fatigue/muscle fatigue factor increasing the risk of tendon and ligament injuries in general for all of players, especially our players already dealing with injuries.

Even considering letting him play this week coming off a 2nd hamstring leaves me shaking my head...........especially with the known effects on/association with Denver's high altitude on fatigue>muscle fatigue>muscle injuries............not to mention the fatigue/muscle fatigue factor increasing the risk of tendon and ligament injuries in general for all of players, especially our players already dealing with injuries.
Soooo you still have the thought that teams really care about the inmates (oops) I mean players actual well-being...?
:D

Soooo you still have the thought that teams really care about the inmates (oops) I mean players actual well-being...?
:D

I've learned at least in the case of the Texans over the years that the team including its paid-for medical staff doesn't seem to care about its players enough to even care for them on the level of inmates. But this short-sightedness on the part of the FO in turn shows me that they don't have the sense to even protect their own investment to work towards consistent success.:tiphat:

Doc, we need the shock troops for the run into the playoffs. Do you have a feel when the following players will be playing, or should be playing:

JJo
Kevin Johnson
Andre Hal
Z Cunningham
Colvin

D Foreman
Keke

Duke and Kelemente seemed to be the guys most dinged up Sunday, any word yet?

I think we badly need JJo or Colvin, Cunningham, and Keke. Foreman being 2017 Foreman would be awesome, but I have low expectations

Doc, we need the shock troops for the run into the playoffs. Do you have a feel when the following players will be playing, or should be playing:

JJo
Kevin Johnson
Andre Hal
Z Cunningham
Colvin

D Foreman
Keke

Duke and Kelemente seemed to be the guys most dinged up Sunday, any word yet?

I think we badly need JJo or Colvin, Cunningham, and Keke. Foreman being 2017 Foreman would be awesome, but I have low expectations
Could you ask for a more extensive, generalized set of questions?

upload_2018-11-5_14-55-0.jpeg

Even with the Bye rest week, functional return is not a given for anyone on that list, especially JJo, Hal, Cunningham, Foreman and Coutee. Colvin and KJo will probably be most probable..........not sure that KJo would be a positive taking up an active roster spot in light of trying to replace with another more valuable/productive player.

As far as Ejiofor, if he can play with a harness, he may be back after the Bye. Kelemente's injury has not been characterized yet by the team (see my impression in above post).

Despite the rest during the Bye week, don't be surprised if some additional names pop up on the Injury Report that were not obvious from watching the last game.

I did not expect perfection, just a general feel from all your knowledge and contacts. You give me hope we will get some CB help and Duke will be a probable. We expect a lot from you and you generally have a good read. Helps me manage my expectations, thanks Doc

'Trending upwards,' Texans RB D'Onta Foreman still sidelined
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Nov. 5, 2018 Updated: Nov. 5, 2018 2:40 p.m.

A bit of uncertainty still surrounds the pending return of Texans running back D'Onta Foreman.

Although the former University of Texas running back has made strides in his recovery from a torn Achilles suffered as a rookie last year, the Texas City native remains on the physically unable to perform list.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien was noncommittal on if the AFC South franchise will have Foreman begin practicing following a bye, starting the 21-day window to either activate him or have him miss the remainder of the season.

Foreman got hurt last November against the Arizona Cardinals while scoring a touchdown.

"I don't know," O'Brien said when asked if Foreman will be activated next week when the Texans return.. "We're still talking about that. I know he's trending upwards. He's worked very hard. I don't know if it's something we're going to do right now. I'm not sure about that right now."

SMH_definition.jpg

I missed it. What was the diagnosis on Ejiofor?
Ejiofor sustained an injury to his shoulder. He underwent a right shoulder labrum repair early this offseason. Watching the play he was injured in yesterday, he was grabbing his left shoulder BEFORE he hit the ground. Therefore, I feel he likely sustained a subluxation or dislocation/relocation on that play while he was engaged with the offensive lineman.

Reactions: JB
'Trending upwards,' Texans RB D'Onta Foreman still sidelined
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Nov. 5, 2018 Updated: Nov. 5, 2018 2:40 p.m.

A bit of uncertainty still surrounds the pending return of Texans running back D'Onta Foreman.
Texans coach Bill O'Brien was noncommittal on if the AFC South franchise will have Foreman begin practicing following a bye, starting the 21-day window to either activate him or have him miss the remainder of the season.

"I don't know," O'Brien said when asked if Foreman will be activated next week when the Texans return.. "We're still talking about that. I know he's trending upwards. He's worked very hard. I don't know if it's something we're going to do right now. I'm not sure about that right now."

That sounded like a "No" to me.

Ejiofor sustained an injury to his shoulder. He underwent a right shoulder labrum repair early this offseason. Watching the play he was injured in yesterday, he was grabbing his left shoulder BEFORE he hit the ground. Therefore, I feel he likely sustained a subluxation or dislocation/relocation on that play while he was engaged with the offensive lineman.

as someone who experiences this on occasion the pain is no joke.

The Eagles released Deandre Carter because they were feeling very comfortable with Sproles being fully healthy, being activated after his long-rehabbing hamstring injury (since week 1). Carter acted as a replacement returner/wr during this period in Sproles' absence.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Sproles aggravated his hamstring injury in practice and now is unlikely to be available on Sunday night.

....................this emphasizes all of my previous posts regarding the entirely unpredictable nature of a hamstring injury........especially in the same season

The Eagles released Deandre Carter because they were feeling very comfortable with Sproles being fully healthy, being activated after his long-rehabbing hamstring injury (since week 1). Carter acted as a replacement returner/wr during this period in Sproles' absence.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Sproles aggravated his hamstring injury in practice and now is unlikely to be available on Sunday night.

....................this emphasizes all of my previous posts regarding the entirely unpredictable nature of a hamstring injury........especially in the same season

which brings up another reason to bring Carter in. It lets us give Coutee more time to rest his hammy.

Sucks to hear Sproles re-injured himself, always enjoyed watching him play

CnD do you have access to the film from this last game. Someone said Ejoifor injured the opposite shoulder he had surgery on, but I could have sworn he was grasping at his right shoulder when he went down, but I can't find a good replay to show it

CnD do you have access to the film from this last game. Someone said Ejoifor injured the opposite shoulder he had surgery on, but I could have sworn he was grasping at his right shoulder when he went down, but I can't find a good replay to show it

From my Monday post:

From my Monday post:

my bad , guess I misread your post. So what do you think, a compensatory injury to the other shoulder after surgery on his right? I know it wasn't long after I had an issue with my right shoulder, that I started having the same issue with the other shoulder. Maybe half a season before the other one started giving me issues

my bad , guess I misread your post. So what do you think, a compensatory injury to the other shoulder after surgery on his right? I know it wasn't long after I had an issue with my right shoulder, that I started having the same issue with the other shoulder. Maybe half a season before the other one started giving me issues

I don't believe that Ejiofor's (and probably your) recent injury can necessarily be explained by "compensation." A Canadian study demonstrated that ~ 11% of patients undergoing surgery for shoulder instability already showed pathological changes in the contralateral shoulder. Of the patients showing no instability of the other shoulder, ~15% eventually went on to surgery on that shoulder. In all ~25% of all of those showing contralateral shoulder issues, either at the time of the original surgery or later, went on to require surgery. Conclusion drawn from this study were that the high incidence of bilateral shoulder instability suggests an intrisic abnormality such as capsular or ligamentous laxity or muscle imbalance which warrants concern and further thorough evaluation.

Last edited:
I don't believe that Ejiofor's (and probably your) recent injury can necessarily be explained by "compensation." A Canadian study demonstrated that ~ 11% of patients undergoing surgery for shoulder instability already showed pathological changes in the contralateral shoulder. Of the patients showing no instability of the other shoulder, ~15% eventually went on to surgery on that shoulder. In all ~25% of all of those showing contralateral shoulder issues, either at the time of the original surgery or later, went on to require surgery. Conclusion drawn from this study were that the high incidence of bilateral shoulder instability suggests an intrisic abnormality such as capsular or ligamentous laxity or muscle imbalance and warrants concern and further thorough evaluation.

so big doctor words aside, what you are saying is most likely Ejiofor and I were already predisposed to shoulder instability issues due to genetic makeup/ body structure or whatever?

Back