Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

With most of our WRs and RBs injured, the Texans are trying to find effective therapies to get them back on the field and keep them there. They are testing rubbing some Tussin on it.

B39Aq1UIUAEpe64.jpg

Should this not work well enough, they will be falling back to rubbing a little dirt on it.

da39f6d5f04281162794235c517cbadc915bba9d6ec046c75e0e9e55ec1057b3.jpg

We are all hopeful that although our players may look a little strange and/or smell a little stranger, they will be ready for the Jags in week 1.:)

Last edited:
Another one of our safeties is injured, Malik Smith (not characterized).

LB Gimel President is also injured (not characterized).

CB Dee Virgin is injured (not characterized)

WR Riley McCarron is injured and although not characterized, it is likely that he is dealing with a thumb injury that he has been playing through for awhile. If I were to guess, it is an ulnar collateral ligament sprain from his thumb being hyperextended back and outward, sustained while catching a pass.

Last edited:
WR Riley McCarron is injured and although not characterized, it is likely that he is dealing with a thumb injury that he has been playing through for awhile. If I were to guess, it is an ulnar collateral ligament sprain from his thumb being hyperextended back and outward, sustained while catching a pass.

Cuts aren't going to be hard. We are going to have 37 people on IR.

Is this the same injury Carlos Correa had? I know his injury required surgery.

The Texans had been talking about Blue playing in the game tonight..................he has been reported to have an ankle sprain.............I'll add to that report now, he has a high ankle sprain...........should definitely not play.

Last edited:
The Texans had been talking about Blue playing in the game tonight..................he has been reported to have an ankle sprain.............I'll add to that report now, he has a high ankle sprain...........should definitely not play.
What happened to Ballantine, good sir? I can't find anything on him being injured.

Has anyone in the Texans org. bothered to check the credentials of our medical staff.

Might also double check on the qualifications of our training staff. It's becoming ridiculous.

Who hires these people anyway?

:coffee:

Was he injured in a non-contact drill? ACL? I really like him if he could just stay healthy.
Ballentine was nursing a knee injury going into the Patriots preseason game in which he didn't play. No mention has been made what the knee injury is or exactly when and under what conditions it occurred.

Was he injured in a non-contact drill? ACL? I really like him if he could just stay healthy.
Just as a quick review, so far, Ballentine has been placed on IR in 2014 for an "undisclosed injury." He was placed on IR in 2015 for a PCL/MCL. And he was placed on IR in 2016 for ankle, groin and knee injuries. He's not been practicing now for at least 2 weeks now with this "undisclosed knee injury."

That Watson high throw that Wendall Williams went up to still try to snare, and which almost got him killed, has resulted in what was referred to originally as a shoulder injury...........more specifically, it will be announced this morning that he has sustained a fractured clavicle (collar bone).

That Watson high throw that Wendall Williams went up to still try to snare, and which almost got him killed, has resulted in what was referred to originally as a shoulder injury...........more specifically, it will be announced this morning that he has sustained a fractured clavicle (collar bone).
Same injury as Will Fuller ?

Watching the Saints game, I was afraid of this. Our rookie Dlineman Matthew Godin suffered a torn ACL.......That's #24 in the NFL since TC began.

Watching the Saints game, I was afraid of this. Our rookie Dlineman Matthew Godin suffered a torn ACL.......That's #24 in the NFL since TC began.
Any idea how this number stacks up to prior seasons?
I get alarmed when I see your raw count. Then I think, wait.... 90 players/team x 32 teams = 2880 players. 24 out of 2880 players is less than one percent of the 'population'. So I had to ask is 0.8333% of the total population historically unusual? What is the year-to-year number on ACL/MCL injuries??
Real question. I have no idea where to go find that sort of data.

Any idea how this number stacks up to prior seasons?
I get alarmed when I see your raw count. Then I think, wait.... 90 players/team x 32 teams = 2880 players. 24 out of 2880 players is less than one percent of the 'population'. So I had to ask is 0.8333% of the total population historically unusual? What is the year-to-year number on ACL/MCL injuries??
Real question. I have no idea where to go find that sort of data.
At 24 already in TC, it is higher than last year. It is the 3rd highest in the past 5 seasons.........26 2015 and 31 in ‘13.................but we still have a week left to "catch up." ACL injuries have really not had significant changes over the years..............but they are so prominent in your mind because they devastate a player's season. Stats show an interesting trend of ~50% of the total year's number occurring in preseason/TC...............and more than 50% during the year usually occur not during games, but during practices.............so far this year, 13 during practices and 11 during games.

This year, you are correct, there have been more players on the field for a longer period of time than in previous years because of a late all-at-one-time cutdown. However, when you look at the 2016 cutdown dates, you realize that cutdowns were late anyway and would not have as much impact on the numbers as you might initially think.
  • August 30: 4 PM ET deadline for teams to reduce their rosters to 75 players.
  • September 3: 4 PM ET deadline for teams to reduce their rosters to 53 players.
Hope that gives you some things to hang your hat on.

ADDENDUM: The NFL ACL counts at this point annually include those incurred during offseason/OTAs/minicamps/preseason. In that case, the present 2017 count is 26 (bypassing the 2015 total, and just 5 short so far of the all-time high of 2013).
********************************************************************************************************************

EDIT: 08/29/17: Add another ACL today to both totals (25/27)..............now only 4 short so far of the all time high of 2013

EDIT: 08/29/17: Add another ACL today to both totals (26/28)..............now only 3 short so far of the all time high of 2013

Last edited:
Players aren’t eligible to be designated for return from IR unless they are on the active roster through 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, September 3.......and active for at least 1 day thereafter. Don't be surprised to see some important injured players kept on active rosters, then placed on IR after September 4.

With Texans DE Mathew Godin having suffered an ACL rupture, that takes the total TC ACL ruptures to #30 and the total since the beginning of the League year to #32.

Last edited:
Our final RB corps is dealing with significant injury issues. Hunt still dealing with his hamstring. Foreman that is dealing at least with a groin. Blue that is dealing with a high ankle sprain. Without reinjury, I would expect that Hunt will need at least 2-3 more weeks. If Foreman is dealing with a grade 2 groin tear for the past 2 weeks, he may not return for another 2-4 weeks (and if this is compensatory to his foot problem, re-injury is even more likely). Blue may not be able to safely return before another 3-6 weeks. All three have the potential for being chronic recurrent chronic problems, especially in the same season.

Last edited:
Our final RB corps is dealing with significant injury issues. Hunt still dealing with his ankle. Foreman that is dealing at least with a groin. Blue that is dealing with a high ankle sprain. Without reinjury, I would expect that Hunt will need at least 2-3 more weeks. If Foreman is dealing with a grade 2 groin tear for the past 2 weeks, he may not return for another 2-4 weeks (and if this is compensatory to his foot problem, re-injury is even more likely). Blue may not be able to safely return before another 3-6 weeks. All three have the potential for being chronic recurrent chronic problems, especially in the same season.

There's that little ray of sunshine we all know and love :ant:

Reactions: Max
That sets the record doesn't it?
That sets the record doesn't it?
I posted this in the NFL section:

Texans DE Mathew Godin suffered an ACL rupture..............#30 (since beginning of TC / #32 since the beginning of the League year). The number of ACLs during 2017 have now surpassed the all-time 2013 total of 31. There have been quite a few players that have been placed on IR this League year as "knee injury" or "knee undisclosed".........I suspect that some of those have been ACLs. Godin's injury was at least correctly identified albeit after a long delay

Reactions: JB
Hopkins returned to practice for the first time since the Carolina preseason game. I found a pic taken today during practice.

DI5nZwdVwAMMtMz.jpg:large

You have to look very closely, but he is wearing a right thumb splint consistent with aGrade II or III ulnar collateral ligament tear.

2014410111912.png

This is a troublesome injury, since if he needs to wear a hard splint in games, it will hinder his ability to catch passes. If he doesn't wear a hard splint splint, but only a bandage splint or nothing (particularly if the healed ligament remains permanently stretched out), the ligament can be easily re-injured with the thumb being bent backwards and outwards with a hard direct hit by the football to the front (inside/palmar side) of the thumb. This would especially be a concern in the 1st month of the season.

6591eb_8952c02e0366b2d878efa96302eaf476.png

Hopkins returned to practice for the first time since the Carolina preseason game. I found a pic taken today during practice.

You have to look very closely, but he is wearing a right thumb splint consistent with aGrade II or III ulnar collateral ligament tear.

2014410111912.png

This is a troublesome injury, since if he needs to wear a hard splint in games, it will hinder his ability to catch passes. If he doesn't wear a hard splint splint, but only a bandage splint or nothing (particularly if the healed ligament remains permanently stretched out), the ligament can be easily re-injured with the thumb being bent backwards and outwards with a hard direct hit by the football to the front (inside/palmar side) of the thumb. This would especially be a concern in the 1st month of the season.

You don't get this kind of information on just any message board!

2014410111912.png

I enlarged the pic 400% and he clearly just has tape around wrist and lower thumb. Is this the same as what you are showing in second pic?

I enlarged the pic 400% and he clearly just has tape around wrist and lower thumb. Is this the same as what you are showing in second pic?
Before I posted the pic I too originally blew up the pic maximally (CNTRL +). There is no way to tell if there is or is not a thin thermoplastic (similar to heat-moldable white fiberglass) hard splint covered by the white tape/bandage (common technique).

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
The Texans have not placed Will Fuller on the injured reserve during his recovery from a collarbone fracture. Early indications were that he was going to miss a good portion of the season but now, it does not seem that his absence will extend beyond week 8 of the season. Fuller broke his collarbone during the second week of training camp but the fact that he is not placed on the injured reserve is a good sign for a potentially early return for Fuller. link

The advantage of keeping him off of IR is that he can practice with the team as soon as he is physically able. The potential disadvantage is that for the time that we are waiting for him to return, a precious roster spot is taken up. The latter choice could especially become a poor choice if he cannot return to practice until the 7th or 8th week.

The potential disadvantage is that for the time that we are waiting for him to return, a precious roster spot is taken up. The latter choice could especially become a poor choice if he cannot return to practice until the 7th or 8th week.

Which probably fed into the decision to cary only two QBs.

Last edited:
The Texans have not placed Will Fuller on the injured reserve during his recovery from a collarbone fracture. Early indications were that he was going to miss a good portion of the season but now, it does not seem that his absence will extend beyond week 8 of the season. Fuller broke his collarbone during the second week of training camp but the fact that he is not placed on the injured reserve is a good sign for a potentially early return for Fuller. link

The advantage of keeping him off of IR is that he can practice with the team as soon as he is physically able. The potential disadvantage is that for the time that we are waiting for him to return, a precious roster spot is taken up. The latter choice could especially become a poor choice if he cannot return to practice until the 7th or 8th week.
I think it is worth gamble he may play some games even if he cannot play that soon. Just speculating that he would be more valuable than adding another player to roster although it is risky. Doc wouldn't that roster spot be an end of bench guy?

I think it is worth gamble he may play some games even if he cannot play that soon. Just speculating that he would be more valuable than adding another player to roster although it is risky. Doc wouldn't that roster spot be an end of bench guy?
Ellington was probably going to be an end of bench guy. It could have given us a chance to steal a good prospect off a PS and give him some good audition time, especially an Olineman or even another WR.

Eric Berry, as most of you know, suffered an Achilles tendon rupture in Thursday's game. As most of you probably also know, he is a cancer survivor. During his fight against his Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2014-15, he underwent multiple agent chemotherapy. I bring his case to this thread simply to emphasize that going through multi-chemotherapies, such as those Berry and Quessenberry were exposed to, amongst other things, affects muscle, ligament and tendon structural integrity and strength. There is a notable difference though in that Berry's regimen lasted only ~6 months..........Quessenberry's 3 years. This has always been a concern I've had regarding Quessenberry's return to football.

Lots of head cases coming out of today's game.

Ellington and Cushing sustained concussions in the game.

Fiedorowicz, Griffin and Stephen Anderson........all concussed. All TEs essentially nuttier than a fruit cake going into the Bengal game Thursday. Only Texans TE not concussed.......Baylis on the PS.........

Allen sustained an ankle injury.

Despite the fact that Watt did not seem to lift a finger to help the D today, he sustained an OPEN fracture of one of his fingers....was shot up and taped up and splinted and was returned to the game.

Despite the fact that Watt did not seem to lift a finger to help the D today, he sustained an OPEN fracture of one of his fingers....was shot up and taped up and splinted and was returned to the game.

Watt needs to be IR'd this year. He needs the year to recuperate from his offseason surgery.

:coffee:

Back