Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

I apologize profusely. Is Jjo gonna be ok for this year? I understand he's not on the injury report for this week, but I got the feeling he's not right.
Thanks. Good catch, inadvertently left him off the Thursday Injury Report...............he was still LP (I added him to the list).

If it is a mild A-C separation, and the time given to rehab (~2 weeks), he should have not necessarily have problems throughout the rest of the season. If it is a shoulder joint subluxation, return to play still usually takes 2 weeks of rehab. Both of these 1st two scenarios are pushing it to return Sunday (10 days from last thursday's game). If it was a shoulder dislocation, a 3 week rehab would be most prudent as he would have stretched ligaments with possible labrum damage to some extent and could have some longer lasting shoulder instability issues (such as redislocation). I'll be interested to see if he plays this Sunday......and, if he does play, how he plays.

Last edited:
So.. how did he play? There seemed to be one play where he tested that shoulder out pretty good. Or was it the opposite one?
It was his same right shoulder, and he did apparently tolerate that hit pretty well. He hit his shoulder straight on from the side with his arm relatively close to his body. This probably would have had lesser effect on a previously subluxed shoulder or A-C shoulder separation, as these injuries usually occur with impacts from the front or back of the shoulder and many times with the arm away from the body. We'll see how he fares over the next few days. BTW, it was the ONLY tackle (no other stats) he made all game so I don't know how much you could say his shoulder was tested.

Last edited:
Texans need to hire the Pat's doctors.

Seems all their questionable players played in the game. Miraculous healing going on. Gronks injury especially.

:coffee:
The Pats tend to over do it on their Injury Report............always many questionables on game status.........injuries that probably many times wouldn't show up at all with the Texans Injury Reports at all. When Gronk's injury was first reported, I said that it had to be on the minor side in that he got right up on the bicycle without any signs of a limp...........but would have to see how things went the rest of the week and the game to make sure. With Gronk, it wasn't so much as miraculous healing as it might have been over concern for public consumption and the typical Pats' "over classification" on the final game status.

Is 8.5 weeks for Fuller V going to be enough? For the extent of his injury I thought it would be more like 12 weeks.

am I correct that this week puts him at 9.5 weeks? He might get in a few plays if only as decoy. Running fast route should not endanger him..if he doesn't get hit or trip and fall...
He underwent surgery Aug 3. So Sunday would be ~8.5 months. It was initially reports as a comminuted fracture. Then I found that there were only 3 pieces (therefore specific information meant there were only 2 breaks in the collar bone, as opposed to shattered in many pieces). If the 3 piece clean break is treated without surgery, safe return to play would not occur before ~3 months. When treated with plating, and the breaks are clean, theoretically, the supported bone could attain union by ~2 months (typical single collar bone fractures can demonstrate union exceptionally as soon as 6-8 weeks). We don't know how "clean" these breaks were, but the unions would be followed and confirmed by serial x-rays (we don't have access to these x-ray findings). Even if there is union in optimal time, the below previous post still remains a concern. Lower body has never been a concern. ROM, strength and pain/tenderness all play a role in return performance.. It takes strength to hold onto balls and certainly to contest balls.........and injuries occur more often when a player plays "guarded."

I have a difficult time believing this, in that following comminuted clavicle plating , typically weight lifting is not allowed prior to at least 6-7 weeks following surgery. If is not allowed the time to regain full strength, risk of injuries increase significantly.

If he's out there Sunday, the hope is that he is not tested to his fullest for another week or two.

Since we seem to have some docs here..... My right ankle has 4 fractures and has gone un-repaired for almost 3 years since I got run over by a minivan driven by an illegal alien without insurance. I have been suing my own car insurance company to get them to pay for my surgery but it has been a long long time in court with continuous resets and delays.

I can feel it crack whenever I walk on uneven ground, my foot has turned inward when I walk, and the pain is incredible without NSAIDs and pain killers. Is it too late now to get it fixed and be able to walk again without pain normally? I am 61 Y.o. My unnatural walking gait has also caused my left knee to develop some crabmeat meniscus so I'll need another arthroscope procedure on that leg too.

Worst part of this is that without a settlement from my insurance company, i will be out of work according to my ortho doc for up to 6 weeks an I cant afford to be out of work for that long... while needing to pay the almost $1000 copay for the surgery.

At my age, I am considering amputation and fake lower leg which might be more financially and painless for the rest of my years?

What do you think?

Since we seem to have some docs here..... My right ankle has 4 fractures and has gone un-repaired for almost 3 years since I got run over by a minivan driven by an illegal alien without insurance. I have been suing my own car insurance company to get them to pay for my surgery but it has been a long long time in court with continuous resets and delays.

I can feel it crack whenever I walk on uneven ground, my foot has turned inward when I walk, and the pain is incredible without NSAIDs and pain killers. Is it too late now to get it fixed and be able to walk again without pain normally? I am 61 Y.o. My unnatural walking gait has also caused my left knee to develop some crabmeat meniscus so I'll need another arthroscope procedure on that leg too.

Worst part of this is that without a settlement from my insurance company, i will be out of work according to my ortho doc for up to 6 weeks an I cant afford to be out of work for that long... while needing to pay the almost $1000 copay for the surgery.

At my age, I am considering amputation and fake lower leg which might be more financially and painless for the rest of my years?

What do you think?
Sounds like you'll be out for the season.

Worst part of this is that without a settlement from my insurance company, i will be out oftHIS I work according to my ortho doc for up to 6 weeks an I cant afford to be out of work for that long... while needing to pay the almost $1000 copay for the surgery.

What do you think?

Sorry to hear about your trials if this is a legitimate post. This thread is not really meant for personal injury problems....especially insurance oriented problems Without knowing exactly what you mean by "4 fractures" and all related details........where are the fractures, what kind, which bones involved, how they've set without treatment, x-ray findings?.......it is impossible to generalize any sense of analysis or suggestions. If the bones of the ankle have not healed in proper alignment, it is likely that the joint, and its cartilage and ligaments have been damaged and probably the damage has been progressive. It would not be unexpected that compensatory damage would be occurring in your knee. Amputation may sound like a quick fix, but it is not as benign a procedure as you may think. It can have its own set of problems short term and long term that can be more significant than if the sustained damage can be repaired, or even the bones/joint fused. If you undergo amputation, your likelihood of missing less that 6 weeks work is not very good. With all this said, your orthopedic surgeon is the best source for directing your care. I wish you well, my friend.

What do you think?
We have history of offering contracts to people with injuries. Can you play tackle?

If you watch carefully, the video looks like he twisted his knee (the thigh in a different direction than the lower leg) as the proximal tibia was sliding forward under the distal end of the femur..........perfectly mimics the classic mechanisms for ACL tear demonstrated in the illustration I've posted below. This would be most consistent with an ACL tear. Additional structural damage would also not surprise me.

No_return_position.PNG

Mariota suffered a hamstring tear in the 3rd Q. He will undergo an MRI tomorrow. The fact that an MRI is being performed tells me that the Titans suspect a Grade II tear. An MRI has not been shown to actually be a very good guide to determine return to play. Clinically a Grade II tear may keep a "mobile" QB out anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks in order to try to minimize re-injury...........and then re-injury is still a concern.

Mariota suffered a hamstring tear in the 3rd Q. He will undergo an MRI tomorrow. The fact that an MRI is being performed tells me that the Titans suspect a Grade II tear. An MRI has not been shown to actually be a very good guide to determine return to play. Clinically a Grade II tear may keep a "mobile" QB out anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks in order to try to minimize re-injury...........and then re-injury is still a concern.

Don't hamstrings (like groin issues) tend to linger without extensive rest?

Don't hamstrings (like groin issues) tend to linger without extensive rest?
Yes. Grade II tears have been known to require as much as 10 weeks rest and rehab..........they are very unpredictable. As I've mentioned before, following these injuries with MRIs are not uncommon, but studies have not shown a great deal of success in accurately identifying the "appropriate" time for play return.

Torn patellar tendon. I assume that world-class speed is gone?
When I saw him bent back at the knee with his foot planted, that's the first injury I told my friend came to mind. I was hoping it was not. Only ~80% ever make it back onto the field again.........and most of those are those chosen in the 4th round or sooner. But return to play does not tell the entire story with this injury, as most all players that do return, never return to pre-injury performance level.

There are only rare exceptions to the rule.

Another concern for the Titans could be the frequency of these hamstring injuries.

Mariota becomes the fifth Titans starter to deal with a hamstring injury through four weeks this season. Safety Johnathan Cyprien (missed three games), receiver Corey Davis (two games), DeMarco Murray (one quarter) and Delanie Walker (one practice) all suffered different degrees of hamstring injuries missing varying amounts of time over the last few weeks.

Mularkey said they haven’t changed anything in their training program from last season so he’s not sure why the results are drastically different.

“If there is anything that is frustrating, that is the one thing that we’re trying to put a finger on I can’t put a finger on it,” Mularkey said. “We’re hydrating. That’s a big part of it. I talk about it every day.”
link

Didn't see this posted.

Tyler Ervin tore his patellar tendon Sunday
Tyler Ervin tore his patellar tendon Sunday
Posted by Josh Alper on October 2, 2017, 10:08 AM EDT
847170888-e1506953320659.jpg

Getty Images
The Texans routed the Titans on Sunday, but they didn’t leave the 57-14 victory unscathed.

Running back Tyler Ervin left the game after injuring his knee on a punt return in the first quarter and Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports that he suffered a torn patellar tendon on the play. Ervin is expected to have surgery on Monday.

Ervin was a fourth-round pick by the Texans in 2016 and has served as the team’s kick and punt returner for the last two years. He was averaging 7.5 yards per punt return and 18.6 yards per kickoff return this season while also getting a handful of touches on offense.

The Texans will have to find someone else to handle the return duties while Ervin starts on a long rehab process after his surgery.

Derek Carr out 2-6 Weeks

Derek Carr will miss 2-6 weeks with a transverse process fracture.

EJ Manuel will likely start at QB for the Raiders in Week 5.

LATEST:
: Ian Rapoport

Derek Carr out 2-6 Weeks

LATEST:

Correct me if I am wrong....Is that the same injury Mr. Romo got? What an awful injury to get. Dirty tackle if you ask me.

Derek Carr out 2-6 Weeks

LATEST:
Carr won't be out for more than 2 weeks. This type of fracture is usually the result of the muscle and / or ligament pulling a small chip of the transverse process off. The transverse process is where the muscles and ligaments of the back attach to the spine. A sudden trauma-induced contraction or direct impact can be strong enough to pull off a chip of bone from the transverse process. This fracture does not cause any injury to the spinal cord or nerves. The is NOT a functional injury. Return is not dictated by if the fracture is healed or not...........it is dictated by pain tolerance from the ensuing back spasms.

lumbar_anatomy_processes.jpg

3cd822a8d00fa880cf00c36a94c38a7bd05a412c
TransverseProcessFractures_02.jpg

Carr won't be out for more than 2 weeks. This type of fracture is usually the result of the muscle and / or ligament pulling a small chip of the transverse process off. The transverse process is where the muscles and ligaments of the back attach to the spine. A sudden trauma-induced contraction or direct impact can be strong enough to pull off a chip of bone from the transverse process. This fracture does not cause any injury to the spinal cord or nerves. The is NOT a functional injury. Return is not dictated by if the fracture is healed or not...........it is dictated by pain tolerance from the ensuing back spasms.

lumbar_anatomy_processes.jpg

3cd822a8d00fa880cf00c36a94c38a7bd05a412c
TransverseProcessFractures_02.jpg

So.. shoot him up & let him go?

I like your style doc.

When I saw him bent back at the knee with his foot planted, that's the first injury I told my friend came to mind. I was hoping it was not. Only ~80% ever make it back onto the field again.........and most of those are those chosen in the 4th round or sooner. But return to play does not tell the entire story with this injury, as most all players that do return, never return to pre-injury performance level.

There are only rare exceptions to the rule.

Truly sad for the kid, doesn't look like its gonna end well. Also we are starting to get very thin and RB, and Hunt is now a Chief.

CND - Any thoughts on JJ Watt? Have you seen anything thus far that shows that he's either improving or declining physically after 4 games? I'm still not seeing that powerhouse wrecking ball that is usually JJ Watt. I plan on keeping an eye on him this week to see how he's doing. Thanks ahead of time.

CND - Any thoughts on JJ Watt? Have you seen anything thus far that shows that he's either improving or declining physically after 4 games? I'm still not seeing that powerhouse wrecking ball that is usually JJ Watt. I plan on keeping an eye on him this week to see how he's doing. Thanks ahead of time.
So far, as I expected, he looks fine as long as he is not presented with significant resistance. He used to be able to keep his pad level low and come up in a torquing maneuver (a maneuver as you come up requires the back muscles to fiercely contract to straighten up, and which put huge stress on the lumbar discs [see VIDEO below]) to blow the D back off their stance. He seems to have lost his ability to create this strong upward leverage, which would go along with loss of back strength. Studies have shown that repeat microdiscectomies in NFL players can produce results almost as good as the original (~80% return to play for ~2 seasons) , but it depends on the severity of the weakness encountered at the time of surgeries..............the greater the preoperative weakness the poorer the recovery. Also, following a repeat microdiscectomy, The evidence-based literature regarding lumbar disc herniation in elite athletes suggests that it is reasonable to expect excellent clinical outcomes and successful return-to-sport after non-operative and microdiscectomy regardless of sport played. However, those athletes who require repetitive torque on their lumbar spines are more likely to have poorer long-term outcomes if surgical treatment is required for this condition. In general, after repeat lumbar microdiscectomy, return to same level of performance was shown in one study to occur in only ~60% of athletes. What we definitely do know is that after a repeat lumbar microdiscectomy, there is very high risk to developing recurrence in the segment in question, in addition to the development of a disc problem at an adjacent segment. After a first microdiscectomy, repeat procedure has been found to be necessary anywhere from ~3-15% of cases........after the second repeat procedure (data sparse due to the small sample that undergo a 3rd procedure; most at this point will require a lumbar fusion), anywhere from 35-50 %.

Torque - Science of NFL Football

As for JJ's performance thus far, I believe he is following some sage advice. He said earlier this year that if he is tying up multiple folks on the line so that the other guys can get through for the sack then he's doing his job. I believe the year off due to injury has him playing smarter rather than all out. He knows if he f's up his back again, his career is likely over. He's won multiple individual awards now it's time for the big one! You can't get to the Superb Owl without the team!

Back