Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

INFO on college 2018 football

here's a new left tackle to be aware of Daniel Cooney - OT at University of San Diego a red shirt senior: (article is from Oct 2017
He goes 6-83/8, 313 pounds, drawing gawks from rivals. Cooney is a redshirt junior from a Chicago suburb who earned All-America recognition last year, has given up one sack the past two seasons and is playing even better this year. Since arriving at USD, Cooney has improved his squat from 176 pounds (not a maximum effort) to 371 pounds. His bench press has climbed from 175 pounds to 265 Cooney’s arms measure 37 inches in length, which, according to Jackson, would have been the second longest at the 2017 NFL Combine. Combined with his quick feet, those are the keys to his pass blocking. Said Cooney, “Nothing’s better in football than going against the guy across from you, knowing you’re going to beat his (butt) almost every play, throwing him on the ground, pancaking him.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-usdfoot-1028-htmlstory.html

DraftTek has him at # 173 and Chad Reuter at #130.

Alabama LT Jonah Williams looking really good tonight vs Louisville. He started at RT as true freshman 2016 and LT 2017. Per PFF he’s surrendered five sacks, four QB hits and 21 hurries on 899 pass-blocking attempts two seasons. If he is available, it may be we should draft him at our first. RB Harris looked good this game also.

Last edited:
Wow LB and projected first rounder Devin White 6' 240 junior of LSU just made a heck of a behind the line tackle of an RB as Miami goes three and out. 2017 as true soph 133 tackles 14 for loss, 4.5 sacks and 5 QB hurries with PBUs

UPDATE LSU RB Brossette #4 50 yard run through middle untouched. 6' 218 junior.
2017: 19 for 96 and 5 avg. Played behind Derrius Guice who went to Washington second round.

Last edited:
Nick Saban apologizes to ESPN sideline reporter Maria Taylor for his testy postgame interview
After receiving almost universal criticism for his pointed answer to a postgame question about his quarterback situation, Alabama coach Nick Saban has called and apologized to ESPN reporter Maria Taylor.

Origins podcast host James Andrew Miller first reported the phone call Sunday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the testy exchange that began with a simple question about the performances of sophomore Tua Tagovaiola and junior Jalen Hurts. ESPN confirmed the apology in a report published online.

"What answers did you have about your quarterbacks after watching them play tonight?" Taylor asked.

"I still like both guys,” Saban responded. “I think both guys are good players. I think both guys can help our team. Alright, so why do you continually get me to say something that doesn’t respect one of them?”
Taylor didn't seem rattled by the answer and moved on to another question about the offense.
I sort of support Saban on this coaches [we see it here in Houston] get asked some really dumb questions almost trying to start controversy. I get 'space' needs to be filled in writing or air but come on.

This targeting rule is just stupid. 99% of the time it's called, the "guilty" player had no intention of leading with his helmet. It's momentum and physics that cause these hits, it's part of the game that can't be helped.

This targeting rule is just stupid. 99% of the time it's called, the "guilty" player had no intention of leading with his helmet. It's momentum and physics that cause these hits, it's part of the game that can't be helped.

If they're going to flag the play, flag it..but the automatic ejections are ridiculous as I've seen 3 ejections now while watching the first week of CFB.. Every single one of the "targeting" calls/ejections was unavoidable by the defensive player. Save the damn ejections for plays where there was obvious intent to hit the other player in the head.. not incidental contact.

If they're going to flag the play, flag it..but the automatic ejections are ridiculous as I've seen 3 ejections now while watching the first week of CFB.. Every single one of the "targeting" calls/ejections was unavoidable by the defensive player. Save the damn ejections for plays where there was obvious intent to hit the other player in the head.. not incidental contact.
The hit on the Maryland QB by Gary Johnson was idiotic, avoidable, and deserved an ejection. It’s plays like this that created the rule in the first place. In college, where there is no paycheck, safety should come first. Yes, mistakes will be made. But err on the side of caution. Ejecting a player on a 90 man roster isn’t the same as ejecting a player on a 45 man active roster.

The hit on the Maryland QB by Gary Johnson was idiotic, avoidable, and deserved an ejection. It’s plays like this that created the rule in the first place. In college, where there is no paycheck, safety should come first. Yes, mistakes will be made. But err on the side of caution. Ejecting a player on a 90 man roster isn’t the same as ejecting a player on a 45 man active roster.

Okay, well eject the player that had the egregious hit on the QB.. still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do any good to eject players involved in hits that are unavoidable. It's not doing anything for player safety, because again..the hits are unavoidable and are still going to happen. This would be the equivalent of the NBA tossing every single player that's happens to be involved on a flagrant foul call. Which rarely ever happens, because the intent simply isn't there. These are full contact sports...contact is going to happen.

And just because there's 90 players on a roster, that doesn't mean it won't have a effect on a team. Losing one star defensive player in college can still sway the competitive balance of a entire football game. How big of a loss would it be to Houston if Ed Oliver got tossed early in a game on a inadvertent hit? Do they have another one of him on their 90 man roster? Every single game matters greatly in the college rankings, more so than any other sports league. The punishment does not fit the crime here at all.

Okay, well eject the player that had the egregious hit on the QB.. still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do any good to eject players involved in hits that are unavoidable. It's not doing anything for player safety, because again..the hits are unavoidable and are still going to happen.
First, all targeting calls are reviewed. If the refs feel the call is unwarranted, it can be reversed.

Do you have an example of an "unavoidable target call"? If the defender is leading with his helmet, it is avoidable. I realize that a ball carrier sometimes will duck his head to avoid contact and actually create helmet to helmet. But that's not the majority of the calls I've seen. Targeting infractions are not going away. Coaches need to realize this, and ensure their players are not making these infractions. It's football, not rocket science.

Yep one team looked as they belonged in top 20, other needs an offense. Even announcers were voicing pity for FSU's defense being overworked..too much time on field. Couldn't evaluate much from this game.

Yep one team looked as they belonged in top 20, other needs an offense. Even announcers were voicing pity for FSU's defense being overworked..too much time on field. Couldn't evaluate much from this game.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a poorer offensive performance. Their defense played fantastic given how often the offense hung them out to dry. FSU had something like 10 net rushing yards at one point in the 4th quarter. Their offensive line was getting thrown around like rag dolls all game long.

Hey Guys, someone help me out if you can. In one of the televised games this past weekend, one of the more impressive long runs for TD occurred by a player that caught my eye. He was, I think, #22, a RB, 5'11, 212 and a Sr. He must have looked over his shoulder 10 times, fearing the speedy DB was going to catch him. The DB never gained on him. I looked him up - he participated in and won some of sprints, 60 meter, 100 meter, and 200 meter - at state finals. If anyone happened to see this. I would appreciate the name of the team. Thanks so much !

Hey Guys, someone help me out if you can. In one of the televised games this past weekend, one of the more impressive long runs for TD occurred by a player that caught my eye. He was, I think, #22, a RB, 5'11, 212 and a Sr. He must have looked over his shoulder 10 times, fearing the speedy DB was going to catch him. The DB never gained on him. I looked him up - he participated in and won some of sprints, 60 meter, 100 meter, and 200 meter - at state finals. If anyone happened to see this. I would appreciate the name of the team. Thanks so much !
How?

I saw a statistical breakdown of the VT-FSU game where they mentioned that FSU only gained positive yards on 28 of their 63 offensive plays. Less than half.

Their RB also hit an 85 yard run and then gained -3 combined on his other 13 carries.

Just awful.

Since this thread is about preparing for 2019 draft, here are some thoughts to ponder: Johnathan Joseph 35 YOA April 2019, Kevin Johnson in his "prime" and in his 4th of 5 contract years (fifth option claimed by team) needs solid season on the field and Kareem Jackson $ 9 million cap this season at 31 YOA same month 2019 as Joseph could be gone between now and TC 2019. Bademosi and Webster both already injured as was K Johnson may never play more than a game or three at corner. Jermaine Kelly whom I'm interested in is on IR.

Colvin well even if he is good as I hope can only play one spot. Good news is draft seems loaded for corners and we have over $120 million as of now in cap space--if there are any good corners in free agency.

Since this thread is about preparing for 2019 draft, here are some thoughts to ponder: Johnathan Joseph 35 YOA April 2019, Kevin Johnson in his "prime" and in his 4th of 5 contract years (fifth option claimed by team) needs solid season on the field and Kareem Jackson $ 9 million cap this season at 31 YOA same month 2019 as Joseph could be gone between now and TC 2019. Bademosi and Webster both already injured as was K Johnson may never play more than a game or three at corner. Jermaine Kelly whom I'm interested in is on IR.

Colvin well even if he is good as I hope can only play one spot. Good news is draft seems loaded for corners and we have over $120 million as of now in cap space--if there are any good corners in free agency.

They wont spend the $$$$ or they already would have.

Lets hope they draft a CB or two.

They wont spend the $$$$ or they already would have.

Lets hope they draft a CB or two.
Steel even you should agree to allow Gaine in his second year a chance to be even better. My concern on cap is again having several quality of veteran free agents to choose from not back seaters and older players whose health is in doubt. We have plenty of those already.

OT for Purdue #78 looks really good.

Good feet in pass pro and really physical in the run game.

Y'all should check him out, I dont know if he's draft eligible.

OT for Purdue #78 looks really good.

Good feet in pass pro and really physical in the run game.

Y'all should check him out, I dont know if he's draft eligible.

Grant Hermanns is a redshirt sophomore so is eligible for 2019 NFL draft but doubt he comes out. 2016 he did not play. 2017 started first six games at blind side but knee injury ended his season. He was on honor role in high school. Tore MCL but played second half and tore ACL. 6'6" about 300 lbs.

I'd be okay hitting Alabama for first four rounds:

1. Olineman Jonah Williams
2a. RB Damian Harris
2b. LG Ross Pierschracher over 40 starts
3. ILB Mack Wilson
4. Safety Deionte Thompson

1. Olineman Jonah Williams
2a. RB Damian Harris
2b. LG Ross Pierschracher over 40 starts
3. ILB Mack Wilson
4. Safety Deionte Thompson

Gonna have to trade up for Williams. If Davenport isn't the answer at LT and say the Texans are picking 18th, would you trade your 1st/2nd/4th to move into the top 10 and pick Williams? I would.

Then pick a RB or CB with the Seahawks pick and BPA in the 3rd.

2a. RB Damian Harris
Harris would be a good fit for this offense. He does a little bit of everything. Run inside, run outside, can help in the passing game. Harris is not flashy, but efficient. Has a low center of gravity that makes him hard to arm tackle. Makes subtle moves and doesn't take big hits. In a lot of ways, Harris reminds me of Emmitt Smith. Not the burst of the HOFer, but in the way Smith could do a number of things to help his team win.

Herm Edwards is a heck of a coach. You play to win the game! Excellent clock management at the end of the game to set up a game winning field goal as time expires.

Arizona State just upset the #15 ranked Michigan State Spartans, 16-13. The Sun Devils are now 2-0. The Pac-12 South is going to be very interesting this year.

Herm Edwards would often talk about how important clock management was as an ESPN analyst. Now he's putting it to good use as a football coach again. He would often critique Bill O'Brien's poor clock management when dissecting the Houston Texans games. That guy has so much football knowledge. I respect him so much.

I'm a Houston Cougars fan, but I'm cheering for Arizona State also!

54 - 74 would say otherwise at the NFL level.
Herm is a great teacher of the game and a motivator for life in general. He's a tremendous role model. I think his coaching style better relates to the kids on the collegiate level. He'd also make a great high school coach as well. I'm glad he left ESPN to coach again. He can do some great things at Arizona State. Coaching success in the NFL is all about timing and opportunity. Having a great quarterback would certainly help win in the pros.

Herm is a great teacher of the game and a motivator for life in general. He's a tremendous role model. I think his coaching style better relates to the kids on the collegiate level. He'd also make a great high school coach as well. I'm glad he left ESPN to coach again. He can do some great things at Arizona State. Coaching success in the NFL is all about timing and opportunity. Having a great quarterback would certainly help win in the pros.

I can totally see him being an adored and successful HS coach.

Gonna have to trade up for Williams. If Davenport isn't the answer at LT and say the Texans are picking 18th, would you trade your 1st/2nd/4th to move into the top 10 and pick Williams? I would.

Then pick a RB or CB with the Seahawks pick and BPA in the 3rd.
No absolutely not especially after seeing Rankin at LT and Davenport on the right as both did much better than I thought. D is not a right tackle but darn he played well. Yeah he whiffed on the guy on outside that got #4 but all tackles have plays like that. I love me some Williams but we need those picks. I agree Jonah will probably be selected higher but we'll see. Henderson's broken ankle weakens depth chart but nothing for it. I'm drafting a tackle regardless but prob third round.

Harris would be a good fit for this offense. He does a little bit of everything. Run inside, run outside, can help in the passing game. Harris is not flashy, but efficient. Has a low center of gravity that makes him hard to arm tackle. Makes subtle moves and doesn't take big hits. In a lot of ways, Harris reminds me of Emmitt Smith. Not the burst of the HOFer, but in the way Smith could do a number of things to help his team win.
Yeah and very consistent as 2016 &'17 rush avg and receiving over 7 yards & over 1000 each year. On top of that, he was/is not the 'Bama feature back. He's no prima donna and works hard. Maybe by 2019 we will have Foreman back but I'm not expecting any thing.

Hakeem Butler for Iowa St is a BEAST and I think he just punched his NFL ticket against Oklahoma.

How in the hell did Iowa St get a recruit like that!

No absolutely not especially after seeing Rankin at LT and Davenport on the right as both did much better than I thought. D is not a right tackle but darn he played well. Yeah he whiffed on the guy on outside that got #4 but all tackles have plays like that. I love me some Williams but we need those picks. I agree Jonah will probably be selected higher but we'll see. Henderson's broken ankle weakens depth chart but nothing for it. I'm drafting a tackle regardless but prob third round.

Davenport was what I thought he would be at LT/RT

Avg at best. Really below avg.

Hakeem Butler for Iowa St is a BEAST and I think he just punched his NFL ticket against Oklahoma.

I'll say it again, Hakeem Butler is a ******* BEAST! He looks like Calvin Johnson out there. I'd love to see this kid in a Texans uniform.

Several games on today (check schedule upstream this thread) Here is a link with info on possible 2019 draft eligible guys https://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/09/top_2019_nfl_draft_prospects_to_watch_in_week_3_of.html

LSU vs #7 Auburn and LSU intercepts Auburn first series.

Wisconsin versus BYU Checking out the Oline Dave Edwards and Michael Deiter.
Badgers has some defense also. LB TJ Edwards surprised me by not coming out 2018; only 6'1" he had 7 PBUs to go with his 80Ts. In two 2018 games he has 11 Ts and 2 QBs.

Notre Dame versus Vanderbilt with the former having three Oline players also interesting" Robert Hainsey did not help himself in opener, Alex Bar whom I was excited about for a while but he really needs step up and Liam Eichenberg who also didn't look good in opener versus Michigan's Winovich.

BYU leads 14-7 over Wisconsin as the latter's defense allowed a receiver to be wide open and trotted in for TD.

Several games on today (check schedule upstream this thread) Here is a link with info on possible 2019 draft eligible guys https://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/09/top_2019_nfl_draft_prospects_to_watch_in_week_3_of.html

LSU vs #7 Auburn and LSU intercepts Auburn first series.

Wisconsin versus BYU Checking out the Oline Dave Edwards and Michael Deiter.
Badgers has some defense also. LB TJ Edwards surprised me by not coming out 2018; only 6'1" he had 7 PBUs to go with his 80Ts. In two 2018 games he has 11 Ts and 2 QBs.

Notre Dame versus Vanderbilt with the former having three Oline players also interesting" Robert Hainsey did not help himself in opener, Alex Bar whom I was excited about for a while but he really needs step up and Liam Eichenberg who also didn't look good in opener versus Michigan's Winovich.

Hey Badboy since you're our resident draft aficionado, what do you think about Hakeem Butler and what round do you think he'll go in?

The guy looks extremely fast and is a 6'6 225 pound redshirt sophomore

1. I am not focusing much on WRs or TEs as I think we are pretty much set. I love Butler's size 6' 5" +. He avg 17 per catch as a soph last season on 41 receptions and had 7 TDs. He went to HS in Texas. Against OK today I liked his 57 yard catch but the 51 yarder was mucho loco! He should become even better and move up draft boards if he continues his play. Basically an unknown last year who is adding zeros to a future NFL contract. My projection now is he will not get a second round eval and will return to school for his final year.

Say what?!

The 3-0 North Texas Mean Green went into Arkansas' house and spanked the Arkansas Razorbacks, 44-17. It included this stunning 90 yard punt return for a Touchdown. LOL

Always cool when a C-USA team spanks an SEC team.

Butler is from Fort Bend. Late bloomer that wasn't on anybody's radar coming out of high school. He only had three offers, with UH being one of the others.

Back