Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

INFO on college 2018 football

badboy

Hall of Fame
Alabama right tackle Matt Womack recently sustained a broken a bone in his foot, BamaOnLine has learned, and is expected to miss all of the team’s spring practices, which begin today.

The injury occurred during a workout, and he will have surgery on his injured foot this week.

Womack, a redshirt junior, earned the starting job at right tackle last season following strong spring and preseason camps and was part of an offensive line that was a finalist for the Joe Moore Award. He started all 14 of Alabama’s games, including the team’s two playoff contests.

The Hernando, Miss., native was named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week and Tide coaches recognized him as an offensive player of the week for his efforts against Fresno State.
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...61-22-E7-CF-20180320_101014AlabamaCrimsonTide

Sorry no posting until now..it has been a hectic week; hope this info is helpful.
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- It’s been one week since Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa injured his throwing hand during the Crimson Tide’s first of 15 spring practice sessions.

After initially diagnosing Tagovailoa with a thumb injury, coach Nick Saban provided the latest on the sophomore southpaw when he spoke to reporters after Tuesday’s practice.

“Tua has made a very nice recovery from his hand,” Saban said in a press conference. “He did have a break. Dr. (Lyle) Cain and our medical staff do a fantastic job here,

Alabama linebacker VanDarius Cowan was absent from the last two Crimson Tide spring practices, and Nick Saban explained exactly why Tuesday.

“Look, I’m not going to be specific here, but we have rules about academics here,” Saban said in a press conference. “We check guys in terms of what they’re supposed to do and we define the standard of expectation that we have for class attendance, tutors, study table. And when guys do not do this to the standard that we’ve created for all the players here, they can’t practice or play until they get it right.

thanks to 247sports.com

From March 6th courtesy of USAtoday.com: WR Chad Terrell torn ACL out indefinitely. I have not been able to find more recent update.

From Rotowire:

3/28/2018
Questionable Neck Wilton Speight QB
Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh revealed Tuesday on his podcast that Speight (neck), who announced in late November that he would transfer from the program, could return to the Wolverines in 2018.

AJ Brown WR Mississippi
Brown suffered a minor knee injury during a scrimmage over the weekend, Connor Riley of SEC Country reports. "A.J. tweaked his knee in the scrimmage. I don't foresee it being a long-term injury, " coach Matt Luke said.

3/27/2018

Jared Scott WR Wyoming
Scott suffered a broken finger and will miss the remainder of spring practices, Robert Gagliardi of WyoSports.net reports.

3/27/2018
Chris Clark TE Pittsburgh
Clark has left the team due to personal and family-related matters, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Reviewreports.

3/27/2018 [cool first name]

Evidence Njoku WR Miami
Njoku continues to be limited as he recovers from a late-2017 knee surgery, the Palm Beach Postreports.

Baylor.png

3/24/2018
Tony Nicholson WR Baylor
Nicholson is currently sidelined with a hand injury, John Werner of the Waco Tribune-Heraldreports.

3/24/2018

Rex Culpepper QB Syracuse
Culpepper is away from the team while getting treatment for a treatable form of testicular cancer, Stephen Bailey of Syracuse.com reports.

Players I will focus on 2018 season:

OLB Mekhi Brown transfer to Tennessee State from Alabama after his infamous play in Alabama's national Championship game. I remember watching the game and the play but thought Brown may have been baited. No excuse but his instant rage carried over to sidelines. Wonder what coach said that led to Brown surging at him? More interesting was he wasl allowed back in game soon and made an outstanding tackle. He had nothing to say as Saban chewed him out on sideline but he then went ballistic on a guy reported as a"coach" (see second link) but in link one it's reported that guy had a sidelines pass and would not therefore be a coach. Anyway, kid interests me and has some skills. He had already informed team he was transferring and has been a leader in spring training at Tenn State with compliments from those coaches. Part of the article says Saban tried to convince him to stay at Alabama. He is 6'5" 240 and has some speed.

Link #1 https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/01/08/mekhi-brown-alabama-nick-saban-penalty-sideline-video

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ekhi-browns-transfer-tsu-official/1051689001/

Corner Ryan Pulley a senior Arkansas 6' 0" 197 lbs tore pectoral muscle game one 2017 and red shirted that season. 2016 he had 13 starts with 13 passes broken up, 47 tackles and 2 INTs. In coverage allowed only one TD. If he returns to that form he could be in mix for Houston.

Corner Andraez Greedy Williams [love that name for a DB and he lived up to it] 6'2" 185 as a red shirt rookie 2017 he defended 17 passes and had 6 INTs. Projected by some to enter 2019 NFL draft from LSU as a possible first round selection as red shirt sophomore.
https://lsu.rivals.com/news/greedy-williams-named-to-freshmen-all-america-team

He was nicknamed greedy deedy by his grandmother after he sucked down three bottles of baby formula. He sucked in those INTs also. I want to research info on his brother Rodarius Lee [LeeLee] Williams 6' 0" 190 starting CB at OK State.

Lengthy but interesting feel good article: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_c4be430a-a465-11e7-9a21-7f665b68eb3f.html

Last edited:
OG: Dallas Warmack 6' 2" 308 transferred from Alabama where he graduated early May 2018. He is Chance Warmack's (1st round selection NFL) brother. Dallas has two years of remaining eligibility at Oregon and to further his education. Saw limited action at 'Bama. Probably a right guard.

CB Rodarius Lee (LeeLee) Williams 6'0 190 redshirted 2016 and 2018 will be RS Sophomore and eligible for 2019 draft. 2017 stats: 44 tackles 36 solo one for loss, 10 passes broken up (PBU), one QB hurry. No stats noted in first game. Not much info on him yet but due to possible 2019 Texans needs I'm posting what I have.

Oklahoma State commit Rodarius Williams has had a stellar career at Calvary Baptist Academy in Shreveport, Louisiana. The Class of 2016 shutdown corner had 31 tackles, six passes deflected and five interceptions in his junior year. Rodarius is one of the leaders of Calvary’s lock down defense and helped lead his team to a second straight Louisiana Division III state championship.

--
Rodarius, what is your fastest 40-yard dash time?

“4.50 at a camp last year.”
https://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/fun-qa-interview-with-calvary-baptist-cb-rodarius-williams/

I put together a list of players to follow and put them into a possible draft round. If Davenport works out this year, then the high priority put on a LT in RD1 could be moot, but adequate would force me to make LT a priority.

OFFENSE

RD1:
LT- Greg Little- Ole Miss
LT- Trey Adams- Washington
LT- Jonah Williams- Alabama

RD2:
LT- David Edwards- Wisconsin
LT- Andre Dillard- Washington St

RT- Jawaan Taylor- Florida

RD3 or RD4:
QB- Kelly Bryant- Clemson **Cut and paste Watson, eerily similar skill set, not to mention, 6-2 @ 224 lbs**

DEFENSE

RD1:
DE- Nick Bosa- Ohio St
DE- DeAndre Walker- Georgia

RD2:
OLB/DE- Montez Sweat- Mississippi St
CB- Michael Jackson- Miami

Being that O'Brien is obviously re-working his playbook to take advantage of Watson's skill set, nothing could be better in my book than seeing Bryant still on the board in RD3 of the 2019 Draft. These guys are very similar physically, have already been in the same QB Room and if O'Brien's modified offense works well with Watson, Bryant's curve could be much quicker, which could finally give the Texans a bonafide QB2 for the 4 season after he's drafted.

Way early hope card for the first three rounds:

RD1: LT- Little
RD2: OLB/DE- Sweat
RD2: RT- Taylor
RD3: QB- Bryant

Players I'm watching and would draft today if it was 2019 draft; selecting at #22:

1.22 CB Andraez "Greedy" Williams 6'2" 182 red shirt soph LSU possible 4.37 [see article below]2017: 38 Ts, 26 solo, 6 INTS, 1 QB hurry with 11 PBUs. *https://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/02/lsu_greedy_williams_signing.html
http://www.tigerrag.com/brash-and-a...-ready-to-play-ball-as-lsus-third-cornerback/

It will be interesting to watch LSU's backfield as only sophs and freshmen on depth chart. Dane Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com has him at pick #7 in 2019.
http://www.citizentribune.com/sport...cle_5c262628-c0f2-5f90-b726-0322273e0317.html
It's reported that Mel Kiper has him ranked top 10 over all.

2.42 (Seattle-D.Brown) OLB/ILB Josh Allen 6'5" 230 Kentucky can play either position but I like him at ILB. He's been compared as a "hybrid" of Leonard Floyd and Houston's Sam Cunningham. Viewed as a late first round. 2017: 66Ts 10.5 for loss, 1 INT, 3 PBUs, 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 2 forced fumbles. Similar in 2016 as a junior.

2.54 OLB Montez Sweat 6'6" 241 Mississippi St. Senior 2017: 48 Ts, 15.5 TFLs, 10.5 sacks (as a defensive end). Frame can add 20 lbs.

3.87 LT Prince Teno Wanagho 6'6+ 307 lbs Auburn SEC honor role 2016 & 2017. I may be way early on this guy as some thought I was on Davenport. He played football only one year in H.S. as a DE and TE. In 2017 he started only 7 games but like Davenport gets better every game.In 2016 he was a reserve OT and played in 10 games. 2015 red shirt year. Oline coach BJ Grimes allegedly is a technique first coach and has worked with Prince on hand placement. Most will want an OT sooner but IMO Davenport will be LT and either Henderson will be re-signed in 2019 or Rankins will be the guy at RT and in that scenario, Prince will have time to develop that Davenport didn't get. Protecting Stidham this year will show his value.

4.122 QB Brett Rypien 6'2" 203 Boise St senior stats very consistent:
2017: 218/348 62.6 % 2877 @8.3 16 TDs-6 INTs
2016: 244/394 61.9% 3646 @ 9.2 24 TDs-8 INTs
2015 as a true freshman 11 games 272/428 63.6% 3350 @ 7.8 20 TDs-8 INTs

Players I'm watching and would draft today if it was 2019 draft; selecting at #22:

1.22 CB Andraez "Greedy" Williams 6'2" 182 red shirt soph LSU possible 4.37 [see article below]2017: 38 Ts, 26 solo, 6 INTS, 1 QB hurry with 11 PBUs. *https://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/02/lsu_greedy_williams_signing.html
http://www.tigerrag.com/brash-and-a...-ready-to-play-ball-as-lsus-third-cornerback/

It will be interesting to watch LSU's backfield as only sophs and freshmen on depth chart. Dane Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com has him at pick #7 in 2019.
http://www.citizentribune.com/sport...cle_5c262628-c0f2-5f90-b726-0322273e0317.html
It's reported that Mel Kiper has him ranked top 10 over all.

2.42 (Seattle-D.Brown) OLB/ILB Josh Allen 6'5" 230 Kentucky can play either position but I like him at ILB. He's been compared as a "hybrid" of Leonard Floyd and Houston's Sam Cunningham. Viewed as a late first round. 2017: 66Ts 10.5 for loss, 1 INT, 3 PBUs, 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 2 forced fumbles. Similar in 2016 as a junior.

2.54 OLB Montez Sweat 6'6" 241 Mississippi St. Senior 2017: 48 Ts, 15.5 TFLs, 10.5 sacks (as a defensive end). Frame can add 20 lbs.

3.87 LT Prince Teno Wanagho 6'6+ 307 lbs Auburn SEC honor role 2016 & 2017. I may be way early on this guy as some thought I was on Davenport. He played football only one year in H.S. as a DE and TE. In 2017 he started only 7 games but like Davenport gets better every game.In 2016 he was a reserve OT and played in 10 games. 2015 red shirt year. Oline coach BJ Grimes allegedly is a technique first coach and has worked with Prince on hand placement. Most will want an OT sooner but IMO Davenport will be LT and either Henderson will be re-signed in 2019 or Rankins will be the guy at RT and in that scenario, Prince will have time to develop that Davenport didn't get. Protecting Stidham this year will show his value.

4.122 QB Brett Rypien 6'2" 203 Boise St senior stats very consistent:
2017: 218/348 62.6 % 2877 @8.3 16 TDs-6 INTs
2016: 244/394 61.9% 3646 @ 9.2 24 TDs-8 INTs
2015 as a true freshman 11 games 272/428 63.6% 3350 @ 7.8 20 TDs-8 INTs

Funny you mentioned Rypien.....I've mentioned him before as a possible target but I thought he went into the draft this year...that would be a good thing if he decided to go back to school for another season. He could raise his stock.

I want to watch him more this season as a possible selection. He seems to over throw on medium routes as he doesn't set up before throwing; of course that could be placed on Oline As many NFL rookies should, Rypien was smart to return for senior season. I would be ok with him sitting behind Watson learning and as a 4th round pick not too much of a waste if he doesn't make it. His red shirt freshman status ended when QB starter was injured & Rypien never looked back as first true freshman to start for Boise St. First soph Captain for school, he dealt with death of both grandmothers which may have impacted 2016 play. He was sacked hard in second series of game of 2017 and later in second quarter his head banged on ground forcing him to sidelines. He missed the next game.

Tennessee has added a third graduate transfer to its program.

Alabama offensive lineman Brandon Kennedy, a former four-star prospect who was the backup center for the Crimson Tide in 2017, has joined the Vols, sources close to the situation told GoVols247 on Thursday morning.

According to sources, Kennedy is in Knoxville and will enroll for the second session of summer classes beginning in early July.
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...61-22-E7-CF-20180615_085941AlabamaCrimsonTide

ILB Sutton Smith 6'1" 225 Northern Illinois Jr. an edge defender with great feet 2017: 63 Ts, PFF 95.4 TFLs 29.5, 3 FF, 14 sacks, 8 QBs, 3 PBUs. I think this guy would make outstanding ILB.

CB Mark Gilbert 6'1" 175 DUKE Jr 2017: 35 Ts, 3 TFLs, 14 PBUs, 6 INTs

ILB Sutton Smith 6'1" 225 Northern Illinois Jr. an edge defender with great feet 2017: 63 Ts, PFF 95.4 TFLs 29.5, 3 FF, 14 sacks, 8 QBs, 3 PBUs. I think this guy would make outstanding ILB.

CB Mark Gilbert 6'1" 175 DUKE Jr 2017: 35 Ts, 3 TFLs, 14 PBUs, 6 INTs
I'd like to see A&M LB Otaro Alaka have a great 2018 season. He really stepped up last year. My son "played" LB two years behind him at Cy Falls. He was a hell of a player and a real good vuy.

I'd like to see A&M LB Otaro Alaka have a great 2018 season. He really stepped up last year. My son "played" LB two years behind him at Cy Falls. He was a hell of a player and a real good vuy.
thanks for heads up. I will watch him. Lots of guys out there I may not be aware of.

2018 July 11th NFL supplemental draft players of interest due to Texans needs:

CB Sam Beal Western Michigan Pro Day info= 6'0 178 lb. 37" vertical, 4.40 with wind and 4.51 against. 2017 11 games down from 2016 as team didn't target him as much. 26 Ts, 3 TFL, 10 PBUs, 2 INTs, 1 FF

S Brandon Bryant Miss St 5'11" 200 lb. deadlifts 600 lbs squats 450; left school due academics.
2017: 32 Ts, solo 13, 2 PBUs, 1 INT 2016: 62 Ts, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 2 PBUs unverified 4.24 40 yard

CB Adonis Alexander Virginia Tech 6'3 197 good versus run #2 ACC with missed tackle rank was reportedly 3rd best. Also academic ineligible. Seems to react hesitantly on recognizing routes. Per Draftwire:good at jamming WRs with long arms and fluid hips. He played both press man and off man. Good tackler and was a safety in high school and some in college. Smoked pot and claims of inconsistent motor; poor recovery speed.
2017: 27 Ts (23 solo) 2 FL, 4 PBUs, 1 sack, 1 FF 2016: 44 Ts (31 solo) 7 PBUs, 1 QB hurry as a sophomore. If he can prove he has speed at his size he will be worth watching despite academics.

Both of these guys prob gone by our pick:
LT Greg Little (true Junior) 6'6" 325 Old Miss from Allen, TX. Started LT as freshman and soph. Allegedly has some balance issues. PFF 85 over all with only 14 QB pressures on 500 pass attempts.

LT Jonah Williams 6'6" 290 Alabama as a freshman he started at RT in 2016 converted to LT 2017 and expected to start blind side 2018.

Some I have only minimal info so far:

LT Alaric Jackson 6'7" 320 Iowa red shirt soph quick feet working in a ZBS scheme suspended 2017 for undisclosed violations of team rules but only for the bowl game vs Boston as surprisingly Coach Ferentz had him back at starter in March 2018. I'll watch him for certain. He turns 20 July 14th. Interestingly, since 2016 HS weight of 285 he has gained to about 320 and now NFL OT Ike Boettiger said Jackson has worked hard with strength coach and the increase includes muscle. Unless he has a great season might be best for him to remain in school 2019.

Safety Andrew Wingard 6'0 209 senior Wyoming this dude has some unbelievable stats: http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1016275&draftyear=2019&genpos=SS

In 2014 at 175 lbs he ran a 4.9 but I imagine has lost some of that speed. Only 3 PBUs 2017 but 5 INTs with tackles over 100 each year 114 last season. NFl eval had him not going in 1st or 2nd round 2018 but he told Star Tribune he was returning anyway. https://trib.com/sports/college/wyo...cle_56d2f459-b885-590f-ab21-b3243bad1bcb.html

CB Jordan Wyatt 6' 195 SMU senior despite his build he is decent tackler. 2017: 49 [40 solo) 4.5 TFL, 4 INTs with avg of 41 yards per! [2 for TDs] 1 sack, 8 PBUs, 3 FF ranked 147 by Chad Reuter NFL for 2018. Appears to be a ball hawk with much ability to score. Consistent stats last two years. I was surprised he didn't come out his junior year.

OLB Sutton Smith 6'0 230 played weakside DE for Northern Illinois. PFF 95.4. From ROTO:
Northern Illinois redshirt junior edge rusher Sutton Smith led the FBS with 92 total QB pressures last season.
That's an impressive enough stat for the 6-foot, 225-pound Smith, but we've got an even more eye-opening one for you, here. Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio State's Nick Bosa posted 66 total QB pressures last season, a mark which was barely higher than just the number of hurries (62) that Smith racked up a year ago. Smith logged a mouthwatering 14 sacks last season, with a hearty 30 tackles going for loss. He's going to be a prospect to watch for draft purposes during the coming campaign. Jun 19 - 12:59 PM
and 247 had him running 4.40 in high school at 193 lbs. He's at apprx 230 and still has quick first step. Allegedly instincts get him to ball every play. May be best at ILB due to height (Dylan Cole) if he has strength.
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/2...known-running-back-to-superstar-defensive-end

Last edited:
Early on Saturday morning, Wyoming junior LB Cassh Maluia was arrested and charged with suspicion of driving under the influence, underage consumption of alcohol and driving without a license.

No further information is currently available as to the exact circumstance of Maluia's arrest. Wyoming is aware of the alleged indiscretion, but has not as of yet issued public discipline in regards to the matter. Cowboys HC Craig Bohl is out on the recruiting trail for the week, so it could be a few days before we hear from the team more extensively on this one. A potential starter at weakside linebacker for the coming campaign, Maluia registered 74 tackles (3.5 for loss), a sack, an interception and a forced fumble last season.

Source: wyosports.net

ESPN's Alex Scarborough pegged Georgia redshirt junior S J.R. Reed as the most underrated prospect on the team.

Reed (6'2/175) could have jumped for the NFL Draft over the winter, but instead opted to run it back in Athens. He logged 79 tackles (5.0 for loss), 1.5 sacks, two interceptions and five passes defensed last season. The Bulldogs are well-stocked in the secondary with the likes of Reed in the fold. When it comes to the UGA defense, we're most intrigued to see what their linebacking corp looks like after losing multiple pieces -- Roquan Smith notable among them -- from that unit.

Source: ESPN.com

Texas Tech redshirt senior WR JoJo Robinson is no longer on the team.

Red Raiders HC Kliff Kingsbury said in the spring that Robinson's place on the team was uncertain. While the wideout has since departed from the roster in Lubbock, it's unclear what his next move might be. The former four-star recruit initially began his collegiate career down in Fayetteville with the Razorbacks, but was dismissed from the team during the 2015 season due to reported academic issues. After spending the 2016 season plying his trade in the JUCO ranks, he transferred to Texas Tech last summer. Robinson had just two catches for 26 yards in 2017, though, and was unlikely to see any sort of significant playing time with the program barring injury concerns.

Source: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

ESPN's Dan Murphy pointed to Ohio State junior S Jordan Fuller as the team's most underrated player.

"The New Jersey native will be a key piece to Ohio State's defense even if most of the attention remains focused on the star-studded defensive line," Murphy writes. Fuller (6'2/205) started 13 games for the Buckeyes last season, earning third-team All-Big Ten recognition for the campaign after compiling 62 tackles (2.5 for loss), two interceptions and a pair of passes defensed. The former four-star recruit is expected to take on an expanded leadership role during the upcoming season.

Source: ESPN.com

OG Dominique Briggs 6'3" 300 lb transfer to Tulane from Jr. college; in 2017 at RG allowed only 4 QB hurries in 290 passing snaps. He is a junior to play right guard. PFF ranking 99.0

RG Luke Juriga 6'4" 290 Western Michigan red shirt junior started 11 games right guard and one at center. 323 passing snaps allowing only one sack and 4 QB hurries. PFF 99.0

LG David Beedle 6'5" 314 Michigan State allowed 4 QB hurries and zero sacks 280 passing snaps 2017. PFF 98.9

2018 July 11th NFL supplemental draft players of interest due to Texans needs:

CB Sam Beal Western Michigan Pro Day info= 6'0 178 lb. 37" vertical, 4.40 with wind and 4.51 against. 2017 11 games down from 2016 as team didn't target him as much. 26 Ts, 3 TFL, 10 PBUs, 2 INTs, 1 FF.
Beal is a guy I think the Texans should consider taking in the supplemental draft. Beal is a sticky man CB who is not afraid to make a play on the ball. His build and play style remind me of AJ Bouye. Also, the Texans CB depth is thin with Kareem Jackson moving to safety. The extra 2nd from the Duane Brown deal might be needed to pick up Beal, but I think he's worth the pick.

ILB T.J. Edwards 6'1" 246 RSr Wisconsin started 39/40 games at ILB:

2017: logged 81 tackles, including 53 solo stops, 11.0 TFLs and 2.0 sacks ... recorded 4 interceptions [one TD] and 7 pass breakups, 2 QBs ... contributed to unit that ranked No. 2 nationally in total defense (262.1 yards per game), No. 3 in scoring defense (13.9 points per game), No. 3 in rushing defense (98.4 ypg) and No. 1 in pass efficiency defense (96.4) … in coverage 41 targets, allowed 28 receptions.
leads all returning linebackers who are eligible for the 2019 NFL Draft with the lowest passer rating when targeted. Pro Football Focus gives Edwards a grade of 38.9. Considered a 3 down LB. He injured shoulder in 2015 and an ankle/foot summer of 2016 but out of boot mid August 2016.

ILB/safety Jordan Griffin U. Cincinnati 5'10" was a safety moved to ILB for 2017 with following stats. I would move back to safety. 2017 as ILB 101 Ts 9 FL, 3 PBUs and 1 FF.

2016 stats at DB: 42 Ts and 1 PBU as true freshman.

Lucky, I understand POV but I hate to give up a two on Beal. I'm looking more and more at lesser renown football college programs for players. For example North Alabama safety Chris Johnson who transferred from U. of Albany. First season 2017: 50 Ts 31 solo, 2 TFL, 3 PBUs, 6 INTs & was All American. A fourth or 5th should get him. Like any player, I have to recognize competition and who is on the players team.. but I do that anyway. CB Jordan Wyatt of SMU probably a late 5th or CB Mark Gilbert 6'1" 175 Duke Jr. 35 Ts, 3 TFL, 14 PBUs, 6 INTs. Also projected to round 6. I am not as concerned with our corners (if Johnson is healthy) as some. Joseph with 73% of snaps and 45 tackles, 9 passes defended, 2 INTs [one TD] for 85 yards was slightly better than 2016. He is a guy I don't mind squeezing a bit more juice out of. He, Colvin and Johnson should be good and I'm high on Bademosi as a backup which he did well with NE last year.

Barring overwhelming player injuries, this could be a year for backups on both side of ball to train. Of course if someone like Greedy Williams high 1st round projection as a redshirt soph falls to us; he'd be mine.

For me, it is about cost vs quality in any purchase; just because I have the money doesn't make a purchase a good thing. I won't squeal if they pick Beal with a pick above round 4, I will be concerned.

Beal is a guy I think the Texans should consider taking in the supplemental draft. Beal is a sticky man CB who is not afraid to make a play on the ball. His build and play style remind me of AJ Bouye. Also, the Texans CB depth is thin with Kareem Jackson moving to safety. The extra 2nd from the Duane Brown deal might be needed to pick up Beal, but I think he's worth the pick.

the draft begins at noon. We will know in next hours. For some reason the NFL channel on my Comcast package cancelled.

Alabama junior Terrell Lewis had successful ACL surgery. Injury occurred during training last week per 247sports.com

7/10/2018

Collin Hill QB Colorado State
Hill (knee) could return in time for the season opener against Hawaii, Kyle Fredrickson of The Denver Post reports.

Jake Fromm QB Georgia
Fromm (hand) is not expected to miss any time and should be ready for preseason practice, Seth Emerson of The Athletic reports.

7/3/2018

Clayton Thorson QB Northwestern
Thorson (knee) has been running and cutting and says his goal is to play in Northwestern's first game against Purdue, the Chicago Tribune reports. "I'm doing everything in my power to play Aug. 30," he said.

Alabama's Keith Holcome not on roster 2018 as Red shirt senior and depth LB is going to focus on baseball where he has been every day left fielder. I think it is a great move for him.

Senior Damien Harris has again been named to preseason Doak Walker watch list after turning in his second 1,000 yards rushing. 5'11" 215 he has average 7.2 yards rushing over last two seasons and has had some success catching the ball. Great Blue North has him ranked #34 all players, WalterFootball.com has him to Houston #24.

FYI for those who are not familiar with my mocks, my selections are based on info I have at the moment of posting such as injury to player--I often do not have the most recent info. All should have a reasonable chance of actually being at the pick I have them at. As for now I have Texans with the 22nd selection. As comp picks are not known I account for them by that supercomputer/analytic/mathematical process called "wild ass guess" that may change the number of picks rounds four and after. For now and foreseeable future (tomorrow) I will post all changes in this thread. I do welcome all info on players but please don't just throw out a name; give college, stats, age, speeds etc. The mock to follow is different than any others over the years. I have not decided on first round as I hope to use pure BPA. Also, I'm beginning with round five moving up to our first second round selection from Seattle. I may later add rounds six and seven.

5.57 OG Dominique Briggs 6'3" 295 Tulane senior was ranked as third best center by 247. He attended juco in Coffeyville, Kansas prior to transfer. 2017 he started 12 games at right guard @Tulane allowing zero sacks or QB hits. He did allow 4 QB hurries (290 pass blocking snaps) and was rated by PFF 99.0 over all. I'm hopeful that Fulton and Will Fuller lock this position up but I want to have good depth for entire O'line. Briggs experience at center in juco could be a strength if Martin or Mancz don't work out.

4.122 safety Mark McClaurin 6'2" 215 Miss St. senior stats 2017 79 Ts, 1 FF, 6 PBUs and 6 INTs

3.87 ILB Sutton Smith 6'0 230 N. Illinois true junior played defensive end 2017 and was very fast 63Ts, 29.5 for loss with 3 FFs two of which he returned for TDs. 14 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 43 of tackles were solo.

2.54 OT/OG Max Scharping 6'6" 320 also of Northern Illinois in mid-American Conference was two year 1st team all MAC. In 2016 the O'Line was ranked second in USA for fewest sacks allowed [8]. The Huskies avg 239.8 rushing and 224 yards passing per game pere ROTOWORLD. Scharping was #1 in pass blocking at 98.9 and in 2017 was highest ranked draft eligible OT ranked at 99.2. Career: allowed only 21 QB hurries in 1,377 pass blocking snaps with no sacks either year. All stats per PFF.

2.42 OLB Jalen Jelks 6'6" 245 Oregon senior 2017: 58 Ts {35 solo and 15 FL} 6.5 sacks, 4 QB, 7 PBU. PFF ranked 88.6 over all and 87.3 pass rush. In 2018 he was told he would probably be a second or third round selection and wisely returned to school. I am concerned with OLB of course not knowing future of CLowney.

As stated above I am continuing to research for our first round selection.

Alabama offensive tackle Matt Womack cracked a bone in his previously-broken foot at Thursday’s practice and will undergo surgery to repair it, BamaOnLine has learned.

He is expected to miss roughly six weeks with the injury.

This is the same foot that Womack, a redshirt junior, broke prior to the spring season and had to miss all of the Crimson Tide’s 15 practices. The injury occurred during a workout, and he injured it further walking up and down steps over spring break, Nick Saban said in March.
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...61-22-E7-CF-20180818_094319AlabamaCrimsonTide

Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced Saturday that sophomore outside linebacker Christopher Allen will likely miss the 2018-19 season with a knee injury.

“Surgical knee injury,” Saban said. “He’s probably out for the season.”

Last season, Allen saw time in seven games during his freshman campaign. He totaled six tackles with one tackle for loss and added a pair of quarterback hurries and one forced fumble.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxvxBjRrzSjgRDwBGVDJTWKwSlzq

Here's why Oregon is the Pac-12 college football team you need to watch in 2018:

Justin Herbert

After reliving Helfrich's cringe-worthy final season, it's only fair to recognize his lasting contribution to the program as well: Justin Herbert. Under Helfrich's watch, Oregon recognized the local product and handed him off to Taggart and Cristobal to enjoy. Now all three will likely put an NFL first round draft pick on their resume. If Herbert stays healthy, Cristobal may be able to add Heisman Trophy winner as well.
rest of article: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...lege-football-team-you-need-to-watch-in-2018/

Info on QB Justin Herbert at #26 by Great Blue North, Chad Reuter (ESPN) #4 and Walterfootball.com at #3

SEC South Carolina notes:
When you're making your picks in the SEC, you'll probably look at the East and write "Georgia" down in pencil. You might even write it in ink based on how the Bulldogs steamrolled through the division last season. That pick probably won't come back to bite you. But if there's one team that can sink its teeth into the Bulldogs, it's South Carolina.

Entering Year 3 of the Will Muschamp era, the Gamecocks have gone to consecutive bowl games and reached the nine-win mark a year ago with a comeback win over Michigan in the Outback Bowl. Why are the Gamecocks the team to look out for in the SEC? Let's break it down.

Return of a superstar
Deebo Samuel only played in three games last year before a leg injury ended his season. Despite that, he still managed 250 receiving yards and three touchdown catches to pair with one rushing touchdown and two touchdowns on his only two kickoff returns of the season. That's borderline insane. Samuel is back, and the world has taken notice. He was voted a second-team All-American all-purpose player and kick returner by CBSSports.com, and a second-team All-American by the Associated Press.
rest of article https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-is-the-sec-team-you-need-to-watch-in-2018/

Harbaugh, Michigan counting on ex-Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson
Harbaugh hasn't been able to do it yet and, perhaps coincidentally, quarterback has not a position of strength for the Wolverines his first three years.

It is now.

Mississippi transfer Shea Patterson will be under center when the 14th-ranked Wolverines open the season on the night of Sept. 1 at No. 12 Notre Dame. Patterson said Harbaugh has prepared his players well for the challenge.

"He's making the most of his opportunity," Patterson said Thursday night, surrounded by about 30 reporters. "And, so will I."

By all accounts, Harbaugh has found what he has been looking for -- a dynamic playmaker at quarterback. Patterson will play behind an offensive line that has improved, according to coaches and players, and he will be able to rely on a pair of experienced and talented running backs, a handful of potentially potent receivers along with perhaps one of the nation's best defenses.

"I think Shea Patterson will be the whip cream on the cake that Harbaugh has been missing," said former Dallas Cowboys executive Gil Brandt, an NFL draft consultant and SiriusXM Satellite Radio analyst.
rest here http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=24465345

Western Kentucky's LB Masai Whyte just did a move around a Wisconsin Olineman and drove QB back several yards to sack him; beautiful pay for so early in season. The 6' 225 senior LB looked like a heat seeking missile & in 2017 had 63 tackles, 3 PBUs, 1 FF and one hurry has not been on my radar but that play got my attention.

Michael Dieter replaced Ryan Ramczyk at left tackle 2017; at 322 6'4" arms just under 33" with 11" hands. He has to improve on a lot before I'm interested even at OG. Edit #63 is playing LG this first game.

Last edited:
Back