Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How would you rank the following units of the Houston Texans based on your 2023 expectations?

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
Offensive line
Tight ends
Wide Receivers
Running Backs
Quarterbacks
Defensive line
Linebackers
Secondary

From what I've gleaned my guess is that the OL might be the best overall unit with the WR room the weakest. That's not to suggest that the WR's will be bad, just that they may not be as good as the other units.

Thoughts?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Offensive line - Improvement at C will help a great deal, as would Green actually playing like a 1st rounder. I think they're as solid as anybody at T.

Tight ends - Wouldn't be shocked if Schultz is the teams leading receiver. That in and of itself would be a huge improvement considering there hasn't been a whole lot of TE utilization the past few years. Really since OD left.

Wide Receivers - No clear cut #1 and I don't really know who emerges as such. I also don't think that whoever leads the group in targets, receptions, yards, necessarily makes them a #1. I do think they have good depth here though.

Running Backs - Pierce and Singletary should be a better than average 1-2. we'll see if Pierce's violent nature can keep him on the field.

Quarterbacks - Always an unknown with a rookie QB. But even with growing pains it will be hard to be worse than it has been the last couple of seasons.

Defensive line - Anderson should give them a top notch pass rusher that's been missing since JJ. I don't know where else a rush comes from though. Hughes is 90, Greenard has had 2.5 sacks in his last 13 games. Horton had the 1 breakout year last year where 4 of his 10.5 sacks came in 1 game. Getting the run under control will be a huge priority for them as well. We'll see if the additions they've made (Rankins, Ridgeway) and better coaching/scheme can help there.

Linebackers - This group is almost like QB, it won't take a lot to get better here. Again, coaching/scheme could be the biggest difference here, but better talent than they've had will help. Perryman and Littleton are better talent than they've had. Harris seemed to be coming along nicely at the end of last season.

Secondary - Stingley hasn't had an injury free season since 2019. Keeping him on the field is a big deal for this group. Nelson was pretty solid last season. I think Tavierre Thomas could be pretty solid if he can stay healthy. Ward and Pitre at the backend should be solid but Pitre has got to cut down on the missed tackles.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I'll agree with saying it's a guess, but I think it's more descriptive to say this team has to prove themselves. My belief is that we have the talent on the offensive side of the ball to be a top 10 offense.

But I'll disagree with rating our WRs so poorly. For our offense, which will be built around the short to intermediate passing game, then run/yards after the catch, we are deep and talented at the position. TE has the least depth, but our #1 starter is one of the best. This group just has to prove themselves.

Our offense will rely on a strong run game, and we have a strong two man rotation and we drafted some depth. I'm not so sure about the H-back/FB position. Again, this group just has to prove themselves.

The effectiveness of both the pass game and the run game will be dependant on the OL and it sure looks like we put together an improved starting 5. But I also believe the OL still has more question marks. Green at LG has to be healthy, but if he is, I'm confident we will have solid production at the position. I like the veteran upgrade, Shaq Mason, at RG; and we're solid at RT and pro bowl talented at LT. The Center position is still the most questionable but Michael Deiter should be a veteran improvement. Juice Scruggs is a rookie.

The OL just has to prove themselves.

Quarterback. For the offense we believe Slowik will be installing, I believe we have 3 QBs who can effectively run it. I'm higher on Mills than the naysayers, and I'm expecting him to rebound. Stroud should be the starter game one and Keenum brings a veteran presence to the position.

My ranking for the offense? WR, OL, RB, QB, TE, FB.

Defense? I'll leave this unit to others.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I will rate my guess by position group within the team:
1. Secondary
2. O-line
3. Running backs
4. D-line
5. Linebackers
6. Wide receivers
7. Tight ends
8. QB

At this time, it is all just a guess.
1. Running backs
2. O-Line
3. TE
4. Secondary
5. D-Line
6. WR
7. Linebackers
8. QB

I don't expect the Texans to be dead last in any major category but I also don't see them top 15 either. If any unit makes a significant jump up in the NFL rankings I would think the running backs would be it. The Texans ranked 31st in rushing yards last year. They should be significantly better in that category in 2023.

Hottoddie

Veteran
The roster will be so different this year from last year, that it's just a guess based upon personal gut feelings. Then you add in the new coaching staff & offensive/defensive systems, & it becomes even more difficult to answer the question. John Harris does a nice breakdown of the upcoming roster changes in this article.

But, to play along with the question, my gut says:

Coaching
Secondary
D'Line
Running Backs
O'Line
Linebacker
QB - QB play will only be better if the O'Line play is better.
TE - Will only be better if QB play is better.
WR - See TE play.

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
Offensive line - Improvement at C will help a great deal, as would Green actually playing like a 1st rounder. I think they're as solid as anybody at T.

Tight ends - Wouldn't be shocked if Schultz is the teams leading receiver. That in and of itself would be a huge improvement considering there hasn't been a whole lot of TE utilization the past few years. Really since OD left.

Wide Receivers - No clear cut #1 and I don't really know who emerges as such. I also don't think that whoever leads the group in targets, receptions, yards, necessarily makes them a #1. I do think they have good depth here though.

Running Backs - Pierce and Singletary should be a better than average 1-2. we'll see if Pierce's violent nature can keep him on the field.

Quarterbacks - Always an unknown with a rookie QB. But even with growing pains it will be hard to be worse than it has been the last couple of seasons.

Defensive line - Anderson should give them a top notch pass rusher that's been missing since JJ. I don't know where else a rush comes from though. Hughes is 90, Greenard has had 2.5 sacks in his last 13 games. Horton had the 1 breakout year last year where 4 of his 10.5 sacks came in 1 game. Getting the run under control will be a huge priority for them as well. We'll see if the additions they've made (Rankins, Ridgeway) and better coaching/scheme can help there.

Linebackers - This group is almost like QB, it won't take a lot to get better here. Again, coaching/scheme could be the biggest difference here, but better talent than they've had will help. Perryman and Littleton are better talent than they've had. Harris seemed to be coming along nicely at the end of last season.

Secondary - Stingley hasn't had an injury free season since 2019. Keeping him on the field is a big deal for this group. Nelson was pretty solid last season. I think Tavierre Thomas could be pretty solid if he can stay healthy. Ward and Pitre at the backend should be solid but Pitre has got to cut down on the missed tackles.
Great post. Thanks!

Number19

Hall of Fame
1. Running backs
2. O-Line
3. TE
4. Secondary
5. D-Line
6. WR
7. Linebackers
8. QB

I don't expect the Texans to be dead last in any major category but I also don't see them top 15 either. If any unit makes a significant jump up in the NFL rankings I would think the running backs would be it. The Texans ranked 31st in rushing yards last year. They should be significantly better in that category in 2023.
Hadn't realized we were quite that low. And Pierce was most of the rush we did have. While Pierce did rank 13th in carries and 17th in yards, his 4.3 ypc ranked only 31st. Bottom line, our OL needs to block a lot better.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From what I've gleaned my guess is that the OL might be the best overall unit with the WR room the weakest. That's not to suggest that the WR's will be bad, just that they may not be as good as the other units.
Pretty much where I am at. LBs I think is next to the WRs, but only because I don't like these scrawny guys they seem to think are LBs.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I have a thread on almost every group at this point. But if I had to rank them:

Offensive line
Secondary
Running Backs
Defensive line
Tight ends
Linebackers
Quarterbacks
Wide Receivers

OL is top because they have the team’s best player (Tunsil) and two above average starters (Mason/Howard) and two high picks (Green/Scruggs) along with solid depth pieces.

Secondary is next because they have bonafide NFL starters and quality depth at every position in the secondary. If Stingley can stay healthy this could be a no fly zone. Would be top group if I was confident Stingley would stay healthy but we have all had discussions on that in other threads.

I am very excited about the pieces on the DL. But for sheer talent the OL and secondary has the edge. Not a knock on the DL, I love that this team has invested in the trenches on both sides of the ball and appear to have quality lines this season.

The LB group gets a bump imo because I think they are the group that is in best position to maximize their talent with DeMeco as HC.

Tight Ends have the least depth of all groups but they have a top 10 starter. Tough to rank the whole group. They have a key player for this team’s success, but the depth is the worst on the team.

Quarterbacks have to prove themselves. Keenum is a journeyman at this stage which is fine, Mills may be a solid backup, and Stroud needs to prove he can be a franchise QB. Can’t rate them higher until I see Stroud in the NFL.

Wide Receivers have a bunch of similarly rated guys but no clear standout. There are players who can be productive pieces, a lot riding on Dell’s NFL transition, Nico making the jump and being available consistently and Metchie making a recovery/living up to 2nd round trade up price. If any of those scenarios work out in Texans’ favor, this group will be bumped up.

I am least encouraged by the Tight End group, a lot riding on Schultz staying healthy all season. I feel like the offense will lose a lot if he misses time.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Remember back in the day when we had DeMeco & Cush & we considered DeMeco “small”?
Wasn’t Joe Greene considered a “stout” DT on the Steelers back in the 70s at 6’4” 275? The game changes and so do the physical profiles teams look for at positions.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have a thread on almost every group at this point. But if I had to rank them:

Offensive line
Secondary
Running Backs
Defensive line
Tight ends
Linebackers
Quarterbacks
Wide Receivers

OL is top because they have the team’s best player (Tunsil) and two above average starters (Mason/Howard) and two high picks (Green/Scruggs) along with solid depth pieces.

Secondary is next because they have bonafide NFL starters and quality depth at every position in the secondary. If Stingley can stay healthy this could be a no fly zone. Would be top group if I was confident Stingley would stay healthy but we have all had discussions on that in other threads.

I am very excited about the pieces on the DL. But for sheer talent the OL and secondary has the edge. Not a knock on the DL, I love that this team has invested in the trenches on both sides of the ball and appear to have quality lines this season.

The LB group gets a bump imo because I think they are the group that is in best position to maximize their talent with DeMeco as HC.

Tight Ends have the least depth of all groups but they have a top 10 starter. Tough to rank the whole group. They have a key player for this team’s success, but the depth is the worst on the team.

Quarterbacks have to prove themselves. Keenum is a journeyman at this stage which is fine, Mills may be a solid backup, and Stroud needs to prove he can be a franchise QB. Can’t rate them higher until I see Stroud in the NFL.

Wide Receivers have a bunch of similarly rated guys but no clear standout. There are players who can be productive pieces, a lot riding on Dell’s NFL transition, Nico making the jump and being available consistently and Metchie making a recovery/living up to 2nd round trade up price. If any of those scenarios work out in Texans’ favor, this group will be bumped up.

I am least encouraged by the Tight End group, a lot riding on Schultz staying healthy all season. I feel like the offense will lose a lot if he misses time.
I would put WR just above TE on your list. The lack of TE depth in a WCO is likely to comeback and bite them.

Should have drafted a TE in last years deep TE draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Absofrikkenlutely!

People need to check out Perryman, if this dudes healthy he’s a huge difference maker!
In the run game, yes

In coverage, not so much.

After watching them get trampled in the run game last year I'm ok with Perryman. If healthy, which is very hit and miss.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
In the run game, yes

In coverage, not so much.

After watching them get trampled in the run game last year I'm ok with Perryman. If healthy, which is very hot and miss.
Perryman is a difference maker when healthy. Ideal rotation would be inserting the youngsters To’o To’o and Harris when it’s a passing situation. And having the reliable vet tacklers Littleton and Perryman on the field with Harris in base defense and short yardage situations.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Perryman is a difference maker when healthy. Ideal rotation would be inserting the youngsters To’o To’o and Harris when it’s a passing situation. And having the reliable vet tacklers Littleton and Perryman on the field with Harris in base defense and short yardage situations.
I like it. Very smart. Very tricky. OCs would never figure out such an elaborate scheme.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dominating opponents run game would be huge and could turn a game or three in our favor.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rarely will there be 3 LB's on the field at the same time.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Having watched all of the games several times from the last two seasons, having an offense that can sustain some drives will help the run defense out a lot. The run D was usually pretty dang good in the first quarter/first half.
Hopefully the offseason additions and new scheme/coaching will tighten things up.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Until we see and hear more coming out of camp it's just guessing. But, we did strengthen the OL, DL, RB and have a group of WRs that if healthy could be very good. Also, TE could be a strong group. LB has Harris, To, Kirksey for starters which should be improved with Harris healthy. QB is going to be better IMO, but may take some time to fully show what they have. We know CJ will be the starter asap, but even if we open with CK...we should be better than last year. Can Mills find his true ability with this staff? Unknown, will he be traded? Again Unknown. If Mills stays and plays much better in this system and CJ and CK play well. It should be a group that is much better than the previous few years. DB is the only area I don't know what to think. We signed some good players, we had some good players. Stingley is the key IMO. If 100% and able to play man as he is better at than zone. They may take a few games to get used to playing together but should be better than previous few years.

Until TC, I can't really grade them. But I think we improved in pretty much every area. Only feild time will show if that is true

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Having watched all of the games several times from the last two seasons, having an offense that can sustain some drives will help the run defense out a lot. The run D was usually pretty dang good in the first quarter/first half.
Hopefully the offseason additions and new scheme/coaching will tighten things up.
Being able to run the ball better, which should happen with the improved ol, will also help not only keep the defense off of the field, but also shorten games. If Stroud can make 4-5 big plays per game to keep sustained drives going, I really believe this team should win 8-10 games because the defense is going to be much improved.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I'm expecting us to go for WR1.

Metchie and Dell are expected to be more slot type of receivers. Woods is old. Collins has potential and if he steps up, this could all change.

I've got high expectations for both Dell and Metchie, but I expect us to still need that primary target that draws the doubles.

If not WR and if Dalton Schultz leaves, then we may need TE. We also might be looking for more pieces along the DL.