Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

I have a Romo Question??
If for some stupid reason Rick Smith & Company blink and decide to give a trade to the cowgirls, do we have to have assume his contract.
I'm not necessarily opposed to bringing in Romo as a free agent on an incentive based contract, but if we have to give up a draft pick and honor his current contract I'm going to have to say:

giphy.gif

I have a Romo Question??
If for some stupid reason Rick Smith & Company blink and decide to give a trade to the cowgirls, do we have to have assume his contract.
I'm not necessarily opposed to bringing in Romo as a free agent on an incentive based contract, but if we have to give up a draft pick and honor his current contract I'm going to have to say:

Cak had a great breakdown a couple pages back. It starts on the below quoted post (#1083)

That's if he stays in Dallas. A team trading for him would only be responsible for base salary so $14.0, $19.5, $20.5. Dallas eats the rest.

I have a Romo Question??

giphy.gif

I've already said I would rather we trade for Romo's contract than try to sign him as a free agent. I don't think we can negotiate a better deal. It's basically a one year $14M deal for us.

That's not to say I bend over for Jerry, but just like the Browns found a way to make a deal for Osweiler that helped us & them, there's got to be something we can do to make this worthwhile for both teams. A future 6th/7th round draft pick. We give them Clowney & next year's sixth for Romo & next years 2nd. Something.

Report: Romo believes he will either play for Texans or retire in 2017
Mitch Sanderson Mar 24, 2017 4:16 PM
After not receiving any interest from the Denver Broncos so far, Tony Romo believes his option for 2017 are either to play for the Houston Texans or retire, according to ESPN's Jeff Darlington.

Romo has yet to be released or traded from the Dallas Cowboys.

More to come.

http://sports790.iheart.com/onair/t...91/shocker-romo-trade-could-go-down-15678592/

According to Allbright, Denver is considering moving a 5th or 6th round pick for Romo this weekend. Romo would restructure to play on veteran minimum ($1million) plus a converted $13 million signing bonus spread out over 3 years.

Allbright is very confident in his source adding there is a strong possibility this trade happens.

As for if the Texans would try to get into a bidding war with Denver for Romo, Allbright doesn't see it happening. He believes Denver has far more ammo to pull this off.

If the Broncos do in fact get Romo, it looks like the Texans may target Jay Cutler. Allbright confirms the Texans have reached out to Cutler's representation.

http://sports790.iheart.com/onair/t...91/shocker-romo-trade-could-go-down-15678592/

As for if the Texans would try to get into a bidding war with Denver for Romo, Allbright doesn't see it happening. He believes Denver has far more ammo to pull this off.

If the Broncos do in fact get Romo, it looks like the Texans may target Jay Cutler. Allbright confirms the Texans have reached out to Cutler's representation.
Really? The Texans have two 4ths in this draft.
They're actually better situated than the Broncos.

Unless the Broncos are giving up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
A 5th or 6th seems weak to me. Houston can offer better.

I'm not buying that report at all.

According to Allbright, Denver is considering moving a 5th or 6th round pick for Romo this weekend. Romo would restructure to play on veteran minimum ($1million) plus a converted $13 million signing bonus spread out over 3 years.

Allbright is very confident in his source adding there is a strong possibility this trade happens.

Wow... if Romo restructures his contract like that, then I've been way off base about what he might sign if released. Still, If Romo was their target, they're getting it stuck to them by both Elway & Jerry. Even though we have a 4th that used to be a 6th that we're not even going to get into the mix with.

I'd definitely throw it out there & make Elway up his offer... & if Dallas wants Romo out of Texas so bad they'd take less compensation so be it. But if Romo was my target, I'd make the offer so "everyone" knows.

The Broncos aren't even a contender though. They finished 3rd in a tough AFC West last year. The Chiefs and Raiders are still better teams. If they sign Romo they may not even make the playoffs.

Yes, I know the Broncos won the Super Bowl two years ago but they had a lot more depth, especially on the offensive line and defensive line. They also had a good head coach in Gary Kubiak and one of the best D-coordinators in the game in Wade Phillips. Both are long gone.

Vance Joseph is a head coach with a lot to learn...
If you ranked all 32 head coaches in the NFL.
Vance Joseph would be at the bottom of any list (unexperienced).

If Romo goes to Denver, good luck! Broncos are a 7-9 team, IMO.

The Broncos aren't even a contender though. They finished 3rd in a tough AFC West last year. The Chiefs and Raiders are still better teams. If they sign Romo they may not even make the playoffs.

Yes, I know the Broncos won the Super Bowl two years ago but they had a lot more depth, especially on the offensive line and defensive line. They also had a good head coach in Gary Kubiak and one of the best D-coordinators in the game in Wade Phillips. Both are long gone.

Vance Joseph is a head coach with a lot to learn...
If you ranked all 32 head coaches in the NFL.
Vance Joseph would be at the bottom of any list (unexperienced).

If Romo goes to Denver, good luck! Broncos are a 7-9 team, IMO.

Doesnt matter if this trade is agreed upon by Dallas and Denver, Tony can simply say "no". And from most reports he wants to go to Houston. Tony holds ALL the leverage in this on all 3 teams involved.

& people say I say some crazysht...
People that claim the Denver Broncos are a Super Bowl contender are foolishly trying to recapture the memories of that championship team they had two years ago. The problem is they are nothing like that team right now. Nowhere near that, in fact.

They're coming off a 3rd place finish in the AFC West (no playoffs) like I mentioned before. Last off-season they lost several good players via free agency, and their depth took a big hit on both sides of the ball.

The Denver Broncos finished this past 2016 season with one of the worst offensive lines in the league and a struggling running game (ranked 27th in the entire league - only 5 teams were worse). They averaged just under 88 yards rushing per game in their final six games. Now they are bringing in a new coaching staff as well.

If Romo wants to go to that situation then more power to him. Vance Joseph hasn't even shown what type of head coach he's going to be, and that Broncos offense has a lot of work ahead of them.

And the Broncos defense, was pretty good last year (#4 ranked) but they weren't even as good as the Texans defense. Especially if we have J.J. Watt back in the mix. We still had the #1 ranked defense without Watt.

The thing is, having a great defense is fine. But Tony Romo is going to play on offense. Look at what the Broncos have on offense compared to what the Texans have. You tell me which is a better fit for Romo?

The Broncos can't even run the ball right now. But good luck if Romo goes there! I think I could out-muscle any of the starting five offensive lineman the Broncos have right now and I haven't played in a long time.

With the annual meetings beginning this weekend and the Cowboys presumably hoping someone/anyone will make them a trade offer for quarterback Tony Romo, the Broncos are doing what they can to make sure the Cowboys know that there won’t be a spontaneous offer for Romo in Arizona.

Jeff Darlington of ESPN reports that the Broncos are “not pursuing” Romo, but that they haven’t closed the door on him.

The Broncos have consistently made it clear that they won’t trade for Romo, presumably because the momentum for weeks has been pointing toward the Cowboys cutting him. One day after telling Romo he’d be released, the Cowboys changed course, opting to wait for a possible trade.

Link

Doesnt matter if this trade is agreed upon by Dallas and Denver, Tony can simply say "no". And from most reports he wants to go to Houston. Tony holds ALL the leverage in this on all 3 teams involved.

All Tony can do is say to Jerry, if you trade me to Denver I'll retire. Jerry say's OK, enjoy your retirement.

Bottom line is, Romo is still under contract with Dallas. The only thing Romo controls is whether or not he retires. And if he does retire, Dallas owes him nothing. I believe that's how it works.

All Tony can do is say to Jerry, if you trade me to Denver I'll retire. Jerry say's OK, enjoy your retirement.

Bottom line is, Romo is still under contract with Dallas. The only thing Romo controls is whether or not he retires. And if he does retire, Dallas owes him nothing. I believe that's how it works.

One phone call from Romo's agent and Denver makes the trade contingent on him playing.

nah doesn't work that way. The Broncos trade a pick and Romo can say I retire so Romo also collects 14 million from the Broncos. So the Broncos are out a pick and 14 million. Doesn't sound like a good deal for the Broncos..does it ?

nah doesn't work that way. The Broncos trade a pick and Romo can say I retire so Romo also collects 14 million from the Broncos. So the Broncos are out a pick and 14 million. Doesn't sound like a good deal for the Broncos..does it ?

Romo retires the Broncos owe him nothing.

you know Romo can retire with the Bronocs..right ? the Broncos agree to take his contract..then Romo agrees..then he retires

And the Broncos owe him nothing. There is no guaranteed money on Romo's contract AND retiring abrogates the contract. You're wrong.

Ask Jake Plummer how much he got paid by the Bucs. Hint - he paid them $3.5 mil.

That scenario applies here. If Romo retires ANY team holding his rights could seek reimbursement of $5 mil of his signing bonus.

Doesnt matter if this trade is agreed upon by Dallas and Denver, Tony can simply say "no". And from most reports he wants to go to Houston.

Not exactly. He has a contract with Dallas and they cant just re-work it without his approval. Doesnt matter now, Elways mouthpiece has spoken:

Mike Klis‏Verified account@MikeKlis
Re: Romo-Broncos "news": As has been reported by 9news for 3 mo. If Romo w/DAL, Broncos not in. If he's released, different game. #9sports

So many QB needy teams in the NFL, most with an excess of cap space, none of them want Romo ... and we're waiting on Romo to show up and pick us.

So many QB needy teams in the NFL, most with an excess of cap space, none of them want Romo ... and we're waiting on Romo to show up and pick us.
I doubt that this is the scenario. How many QB needy teams give the opportunity for a championship. Exactly two.

I'd argue that those two (us and Denver) are still missing pieces, but we will make it to the dance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I doubt that this is the scenario. How many QB needy teams give the opportunity for a championship. Exactly two.

I'd argue that those two (us and Denver) are still missing pieces, but we will make it to the dance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I doubt Denver makes it there. Entire new coaching staff and lots of holes in a very tough division. Much like last year

I just wish this show would come to a conclusion one way or the other

**** YOU!!! Jerry Jones for dragging this along.. I know you're old, but double up on your Metamucil, because it's **** or get off the pot time. This Romo situation needs resolution yesterday.
Not a Jerry Jones fan but no it doesn't. Texans and Bronco fans may want it resolved but Jones is doing what he thinks is best for his pocketbook. He has nothing to lose by sitting pat at least until May 31st.

Michael, feel free to just shut up.

Michael Irvin Sounds Off On Texans For Not Trading For Tony Romo by Adam London on Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:26PM 10,368 Share this: It’s been reported the Dallas Cowboys are actively searching for a trade partner in order to deal Tony Romo, but as of now, no organizations are biting. It’s not totally surprising most teams aren’t interested in the 36-year-old quarterback, but Cowboys legend Michael Irvin is stunned one NFL team hasn’t attempted to work out a deal for Romo. Speaking on CBS Sports Radio’s “Tiki and Tierney” on Thursday, Irvin ripped the Houston Texans for remaining inactive in the pursuit of Romo. “If I’m a fan of the Houston Texans, I’m protesting so much right now,” Irvin said, as transcribed by CBS Sports. “What are you doing? You mean to tell me you can throw $72 million at Brock Osweiler . . . but come back and say, ‘We’re not going to offer anything for Tony Romo’? Are you joking? Are you joking? Just say, ‘Hey, take a fifth-round draft pick. Take a fourth-round draft pick.’ Throw out something. Let everybody know that you’re trying.” Irvin is under the impression Houston only will be able to acquire Romo via trade, and that a free-agent signing apparently won’t be an option. Considering the Texans’ mediocre quarterback depth chart, Irvin is in utter disbelief no moves have been made. “We’re not talking about basic principles; we’re talking winning championships right now,” Irvin said. “You’re not going to pick him up (in free agency). You’re going to (have to) fight for him. This is mind-boggling. I can’t imagine what the fans in Houston are thinking right now. I would be going crazy. You can’t come up with a fifth-round draft pick? It blows my mind.” At present, Houston’s quarterback depth chart features Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden. On paper, Romo is far more talented than both of them, but his injury history and time away from the game are major red flags. Romo’s future in the league has been a mystery for quite some time, and it doesn’t appear that will change any time soon.
http://nesn.com/2017/03/michael-irvin-sounds-off-on-texans-for-not-trading-for-tony-romo/
Michael, feel free to just shut up.

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that CBS is making a strong push to add theDallas quarterback to its team. A source told Schefter earlier this month that Fox was interested in Romo replacing John Lynch as an analyst.
link

Michael's probably worried Romo's going to take his cushy job.

Back