Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

Complete tin hat conspiracy theory here but there was a recent article about a video Romo posted of his toddler son trying to make a deal about not wanting to go to bed and Romo saying the deal he was offering was bad.

The article was saying it could have been a subtle hint to the Cowboys but I think it could also be something to other teams that maybe made an offer. I don't know this but it is a theory. Course it could also have just been him posting a video about his kid but it was an oddly timed subject for a video given the current situation.

Complete tin hat conspiracy theory here but there was a recent article about a video Romo posted of his toddler son trying to make a deal about not wanting to go to bed and Romo saying the deal he was offering was bad.

The article was saying it could have been a subtle hint to the Cowboys but I think it could also be something to other teams that maybe made an offer. I don't know this but it is a theory. Course it could also have just been him posting a video about his kid but it was an oddly timed subject for a video given the current situation.
I'm not sure what it means, but I'm pretty sure that we're about to get half a dozen theories stated as fact.

I'm not sure what it means, but I'm pretty sure that we're about to get half a dozen theories stated as fact.

Within 24 hrs it will be a known fact that Romo was holding out/forcing a trade with a contract extension for 10 yrs and $150 mil to go to the Texans

Hey I just discovered I can do sarcastic hyperbole too! :kingkong:

Again, there have been no talks between Houston & Dallas. The Texans are going to sit & wait for Romo to be released.

Jerrah has no leverage, imo, the Texas should be inquiring about a trade. I would think Jerry will take just about anything as he was going to release Romo last week. I'd start at Clowney, go as high as Cleveland's 4th, try to get a 6th & Romo in return.

But I would definitely want Romo on his current contract.
Again, why do I even try? Lol

That dead money stays in Dallas. If obtained by trade Romo could be cut at any time with no dead money.

That would explain why Dallas would ask for the moon and/or just not be willing trade partners. I'm glad we're not bending over and taking it. Here's our offer, take it or leave it. It seems Denver is in the same boat too but it would also seem Romo wants to come here.

People are shaky on Romo health, but fully confident on JDC? Okay.

No one is fully confident in anyones health in the NFL, they're all a risk.

One is about to turn 37, the other just turned 24.
One is coming off his 3rd IR, the other off a Probowl.
In the last 3 years one has played 20 games, the other 31
In the last 2 years one played 5 games, the other 27 games
One has a 3 year contract worth big bucks, the other still on his rookie contract.

Last edited:
That would explain why Dallas would ask for the moon and/or just not be willing trade partners. I'm glad we're not bending over and taking it. Here's our offer, take it or leave it. It seems Denver is in the same boat too but it would also seem Romo wants to come here.

No one is fully confident in anyones health in the NFL, they're all a risk.

One is about to turn 37, the other just turned 24.
One is coming off his 3rd IR, the other off a Probowl.
In the last 3 years one has played 20 games, the other 31
In the last 2 years one played 5 games, the other 27 games
One has a 3 year contract worth big bucks, the other still on his rookie contract.

Keyword: Microfracture

You think Houston will hang onto Clowney once the 100 MILL deals start hitting his agent next year? I do not, and I wouldn't sign him long term at that money.

Again, there have been no talks between Houston & Dallas. The Texans are going to sit & wait for Romo to be released.

Jerrah has no leverage, imo, the Texas should be inquiring about a trade. I would think Jerry will take just about anything as he was going to release Romo last week. I'd start at Clowney, go as high as Cleveland's 4th, try to get a 6th & Romo in return.

Umm wait what? You've give up a min of Clowney for Romo and maybe as high as the 4th we got from Cleveland. It's not only non-sensical, I want to know what drug you are taking? I want to make sure to stay away from that stuff.

Keyword: Microfracture

You think Houston will hang onto Clowney once the 100 MILL deals start hitting his agent next year? I do not, and I wouldn't sign him long term at that money.

You're comparing a young guy that had microfracture surgery, no longer an immediate death wish, to a guy that's had 3 serious back injuries in 4 years and claiming medical concerns?
Clowney will be on his rookie contract for TWO more years. Having 2 defenders worth $100M would be a great problem for us to have...if he can stay healthy...in TWO years.

Reactions: JB
You're comparing a young guy that had microfracture surgery, no longer an immediate death wish, to a guy that's had 3 serious back injuries in 4 years and claiming medical concerns?
Clowney will be on his rookie contract for TWO more years. Having 2 defenders worth $100M would be a great problem for us to have...if he can stay healthy...in TWO years.

They're only keeping one. Deal with it.

Unless Watt piles up a bunch of more injuries, he'll stay over Clowney. I can guarantee that one. Clowney will be dealt unless they're dumb and allow him to walk in FA without getting any compensation for him.

Unless Watt piles up a bunch of more injuries, he'll stay over Clowney. I can guarantee that one. Clowney will be dealt unless they're dumb and allow him to walk in FA without getting any compensation for him.

That's not even the point of this convo hahaha nothing to deal with at all.

if he is signed by another team there should be compensation of a third, correct?

Umm wait what? You've give up a min of Clowney for Romo and maybe as high as the 4th we got from Cleveland. It's not only non-sensical, I want to know what drug you are taking? I want to make sure to stay away from that stuff.

I, OTOH, want to know so I can obtain said substance

if he is signed by another team there should be compensation of a third, correct?

If you know that you can't sign him, why wouldn't you deal him before a trade deadline or in an off season to get the highest compensation for him? That is what BB does all the time. He isn't always 100% right with how he does it all the time, but for the most part he is. How many teams around the NFL have 2 $100 million dollar DE's? If Watt stays healthy, Clowney will be dealt.

If you know that you can't sign him, why wouldn't you deal him before a trade deadline or in an off season to get the highest compensation for him? That is what BB does all the time. He isn't always 100% right with how he does it all the time, but for the most part he is. How many teams around the NFL have 2 $100 million dollar DE's? If Watt stays healthy, Clowney will be dealt.
my thought would be if Clowney and Watt are both having excellent season (and Clowney would have to be to get much in trade) I would probably want him on team the entire last season of his contract to assist in getting as far as possible. If he is having great season and Texans are not in hunt for S.B. then I would traded him. I do not expect either Clowney or Watt to be on roster past 2018 season due to health.

my thought would be if Clowney and Watt are both having excellent season (and Clowney would have to be to get much in trade) I would probably want him on team the entire last season of his contract to assist in getting as far as possible. If he is having great season and Texans are not in hunt for S.B. then I would traded him. I do not expect either Clowney or Watt to be on roster past 2018 season due to health.

If we had a for sure top contending team with our QB position solved then that would be a lot more realistic to debate where I'd have to strongly consider your logic here. Say if, we were the Raiders right now where we had young Carr there like last season or this season and they're a top 2 or 3 seeds, and you need that extra pass rush for the post season run, then I could maybe decide to keep a guy like Clowney for the big prize. But we'd have to be fully ready for that SB run, and right now we just aren't. We're close, but without that huge piece at QB, we just aren't there. We'd need to get assets for a guy we're about to lose.

If we had a for sure top contending team with our QB position solved then that would be a lot more realistic to debate where I'd have to strongly consider your logic here. Say if, we were the Raiders right now where we had young Carr there like last season or this season and they're a top 2 or 3 seeds, and you need that extra pass rush for the post season run, then I could maybe decide to keep a guy like Clowney for the big prize. But we'd have to be fully ready for that SB run, and right now we just aren't. We're close, but without that huge piece at QB, we just aren't there. We'd need to get assets for a guy we're about to lose.
true but we are talking about season 2018 not now.

Why? Because you don't like the outcome?

Why? Because this is the Tony Romo in Houston thread. If you want to talk JDC I'm sure there's a thread for that. Your hypothetical outcome is irrelevant here. I'm sure there are scenarios where one, both, or neither are on the team in 2019.

Why? Because this is the Tony Romo in Houston thread. If you want to talk JDC I'm sure there's a thread for that. Your hypothetical outcome is irrelevant here. I'm sure there are scenarios where one, both, or neither are on the team in 2019.

Clowney's potential extension on this team will directly correlate to Watt's present health and what they expect in the future. Both Watt and Clowney have had serious injury concerns now, so their future health will matter more than anything. Clowney's evaluation will depend mainly on Watt though. It has all the relevance in the world to this subject and its really very simple. Clowney will have to play out of his mind this season and Watt's play will have to drop off quite a bit with a possible injury for the Texans to invest in Clowney long term while ending the Watt era here.

true but we are talking about season 2018 not now.

Right, which is right around the corner. We either have the QB situation resolved or we don't, and as it stands now I don't see it being solved any time soon unless you get Romo for a year or so and pray that he stays healthy. If Romo was our QB situation solved, I'd still trade Clowney since he'd be gone after 2018 season if he ever comes here. This is assuming Watt still plays well and doesn't have any big injuries of course.

Where did this opinion come from that Clowney will be getting a $100M contract? Here are the defensive players on $100M contracts...

Von Miller (DEN) - 6 yrs, $115M
Ndamukong Suh (MIA) - 6 yrs, $114M
Fletcher Cox (PHI) - 6 yrs, $102M
Justin Houston (KC) - 6 yrs, $101M
J.J. Watt (HOU) - 6 yrs, $100M

So young guys like Muhammad Wilkerson, Olivier Vernon, Jason Pierre-Paul, & Chandler Jones all just got paid recently and none topped $90M much less $100M. And why can't the Texans pay both Watt and Clowney? The Giants pay both Olivier Vernon & Jason Pierre-Paul. The Jags are paying both Calais Campbell & Malik Jackson.

I think it would be nice to get Romo & a 2nd for Clowney. Maybe Clowney & Cleveland's 4th.

I think it would be nice to get Romo & a 2nd for Clowney. Maybe Clowney & Cleveland's 4th.

No way in hell would the Texans give up Clowney for Romo and a 2nd. you also have to consider the salary cap implications which is not my forte. Jerry Jones is in a box. There is no way on planet Earth that he doesn't eventually release Romo. If he doesn't, he's an idiot.

Why would that be nice when he will most likely be cut and we can sign him and not give up a high draft pick and Clowney?!

Cleveland's 4th is not a high draft pick. It's practically a 5th.

If we're going to get Romo I'd prefer it be on his current contract. I do not believe Rick can negotiate a better deal. I don't believe many people could.

& getting a 2nd, would ease the loss of the 2nd we gave to Cleveland.

Jerry Jones is in a box. There is no way on planet Earth that he doesn't eventually release Romo. If he doesn't, he's an idiot.

If Romo is released it would make sense for Jerry to designate Romo a June 1st cut. As such he can't use any cleared money until June 1st. Jerry can, if he wishes, hold on to Romo until June 1st.

Under his current contract Romo would be a $14M cap hit to us in 2017. I don't think Rick can sign Romo for less than $20M against the 2017 cap without committing dead money to future years.

If you're confident Romo will play 10+ games a year for the next three seasons, sure... wait until he's released & negotiate away.

But if you're suspicious of his ability to play 10 games in 2017, you want him on his current contract.

I don't think Rick can sign Romo for less than $20M against the 2017 cap without committing dead money to future years.

That's ... no way. I cant see committing that kinda money to a guy with his injury concerns (and I support the idea of bringing him in). Hell that's more than his current contract which he inked in his prime. I see him getting a deal that guarantees him 12-14m in the first season with outs for the franchise in each subsequent year. Something like 3 years , $40m with $14m guaranteed (all in year one).

That's ... no way. I cant see committing that kinda money.......

I can't see it either, but why else would we keep all the cap space open?

I still don't understand why we don't bring in Cutler just to put some sense of urgency into Romo.

I would expect a GM has a certain amount of money he is willing to spend for a certain player, which means we could start spend some untill we get down to whatever we are willing to pay Romo.

All signs seem to point to the fact that we are holding back because we expect to be spending big time in the near future

if that big expense is not hiring Romo, then what else could it be?

I hate this, but honestly the more time passes without us doing something with the money, the more it seems possible that 20M of our 2017 cap could go to Romo

That's ... no way. I cant see committing that kinda money to a guy with his injury concerns (and I support the idea of bringing him in). Hell that's more than his current contract which he inked in his prime. I see him getting a deal that guarantees him 12-14m in the first season with outs for the franchise in each subsequent year. Something like 3 years , $40m with $14m guaranteed (all in year one).

Tony Romo is on a deal that pays him an avg of $18M/yr. Over the last three years, he got his $25M signing bonus plus about $10M in salary. $35M. He's basically been playing for $12M/yr (or he's been on their roster).

With Fitzpatrick getting $12M, Osweiler getting $18M, McGlennon getting $15M... I don't think Rick can sign him for less than $20M/yr

With Fitzpatrick getting $12M, Osweiler getting $18M, McGlennon getting $15M... I don't think Rick can sign him for less than $20M/yr

What do those guys negotiating the first chunk of real money they've ever made (and will ever make) in their careers have to do with what Tony thinks this last leg of his physically fragile yet already financially secure career should be worth? He's really not in the same frame of reference as them.

He's more in line with Peyton's end of the road, and even he took a reduced base salary (of 15M) his final year. Because he knew the deal.

IMO it comes down to Romo wanting a solid chance at a Super Bowl or biggest guarantee. Well I guess it actually comes down to Texans deciding which Romo wants plus his odds to get team to SB.

What do those guys negotiating the first chunk of real money they've ever made (and will ever make) in their careers have to do with what Tony thinks this last leg of his physically fragile yet already financially secure career should be worth? He's really not in the same frame of reference as them.

He's more in line with Peyton's end of the road, and even he took a reduced base salary (of 15M) his final year. Because he knew the deal.

Six seasons ago, Manning couldn't grip a football & got a $96M six year deal.

I think Romo sees himself on that end of the "Manning" comparison. Peyton was two years younger than Romo at the time.

& with the way the Texans appear to be playing it, they're thinking the same thing too.

Six seasons ago, Manning couldn't grip a football & got a $96M six year deal.

I think Romo sees himself on that end of the "Manning" comparison. Peyton was two years younger than Romo at the time.

& with the way the Texans appear to be playing it, they're thinking the same thing too.

Manning had one injury going into that deal. Romo's had round trip tickets from the field to the trainers table the last two years.

Maybe he does think it's important to cash in huge one more time, but I get the feeling watching him watch from the sidelines, and not having secured a ring like Manning already had, that this last chance is more about being on a competitor than keeping up with the Joneses.

IMO it comes down to Romo wanting a solid chance at a Super Bowl or biggest guarantee. Well I guess it actually comes down to Texans deciding which Romo wants plus his odds to get team to SB.
Also factoring in is the fact that his home is in Dallas and his wife is pregnent with his third child.

My bet is on him taking the TV deal in the end. Even if he does end up coming here, Jerry would most likely hold on to him until June 1st or very close to it. You factor in the additional weeks it will take to negotiate and get a deal done, he loses 3+ months of time he could be learning a new system. Being the "coach on the field" caliber of QB's that he apparently is, who knows how much that will matter... but no doubt it matters some. How valuable is an aging QB with a long injury history with minimal time to prepare in Bill's notoriously complicated system?

Dallas is right to hang on to Romo through the draft. Some team will not end up with the QB they wanted, and may settle for trading for Romo. There are some teams with a lot of cap space that could easily take on his deal, and give up a decent pick for him. Dallas shouldn't be worrying about the pick compensation, but rather trading him for cap space relief.

Dallas is right to hang on to Romo through the draft. Some team will not end up with the QB they wanted, and may settle for trading for Romo. There are some teams with a lot of cap space that could easily take on his deal, and give up a decent pick for him. Dallas shouldn't be worrying about the pick compensation, but rather trading him for cap space relief.

I don't think Dallas can wait that long. They are up against the cap and have lost a ton of their talent in free agency already. I think they need to move him for cap relief within the next 7-10 days, simply to be able to replace some of their lost defensive talents with 2nd tier free agents. We will see...
Also, they can't trade Romo anywhere he doesn't want to go because he can threaten retirement, which would certainly discourage any trading partner.

I don't think Dallas can wait that long. They are up against the cap and have lost a ton of their talent in free agency already. I think they need to move him for cap relief within the next 7-10 days, simply to be able to replace some of their lost defensive talents with 2nd tier free agents. We will see...
Also, they can't trade Romo anywhere he doesn't want to go because he can threaten retirement, which would certainly discourage any trading partner.

Cutting Romo now only frees up about $5M. I don't think that's the help the Cowboys need. After June 1st, if they designate him a June 1st, or wait that long.... it frees up $12M.

Manning had one injury going into that deal. Romo's had round trip tickets from the field to the trainers table the last two years.

Maybe he does think it's important to cash in huge one more time, but I get the feeling watching him watch from the sidelines, and not having secured a ring like Manning already had, that this last chance is more about being on a competitor than keeping up with the Joneses.

Who knows... but that reminds me of Manning's last deal as well. He was talking before signing with Denver that he'd like to come here, that he's willing to take less money, that he's more concerned with winning a championship, blah, blah, blah... then he's negotiating with Denver & ends up with a $96M six year deal.

I'm sure Romo is the same way. He'll say what he needs to say to get his foot in the door, but when it comes down to it, he'll play for Jacksonville at $20M/yr before he'll play for Houston at $13M/yr. He's in "get paid now" mode & most likely wants no part of a deal that's loaded on the back end.

Who knows... but that reminds me of Manning's last deal as well. He was talking before signing with Denver that he'd like to come here, that he's willing to take less money, that he's more concerned with winning a championship, blah, blah, blah... then he's negotiating with Denver & ends up with a $96M six year deal.

I'm sure Romo is the same way. He'll say what he needs to say to get his foot in the door, but when it comes down to it, he'll play for Jacksonville at $20M/yr before he'll play for Houston at $13M/yr. He's in "get paid now" mode & most likely wants no part of a deal that's loaded on the back end.

I don't think Manning would've played for Jacksonville for 20M if Denver was only offering 13M, and he already had a ring.

And where are you getting that he's in 'get paid now' mode any more than he's in 'get ring now' mode?

I think it's too late for that. Many of the impact free agents off the market. The ~14m freed up by making Romo a June 1 cut won't do a lot for them this year, but if they trade him, they can get a cheap player on a rookie deal for him. They are spending 19.6m on Romo over the next 1-3 years regardless, so why not hang on for another month and see if someone is willing to give you a 4th for him? Draft days are crazy for trades, people make deals all the time, no harm in waiting at this point.

Unless there is some high paid player on a current deal they can acquire via trade, I don't see them using the 14m freed up by making him a June 1 cut. And if there is, that same player will be available the entire offseason.

http://sports790.iheart.com/onair/t...despite-reports-denver-is-still-all-15666531/

NFL Insider Ben Allbright says publicly Denver is content with it's QB situation, but internally Elway is all in on Romo. Allbright spoke on The Josh Innes Show and said, “Privately he [Elway] has let a few people know he is all in on Tony Romo if Tony Romo will hit their price point.”

That number according to Allbright would be $12-$14 million plus playoff incentives.

Jerry Jones is still really pushing for Romo to Denver. As Allbright mentioned before Jerry is a business man and wants to get Romo out of Texas to protect his Cowboys brand in the state of Texas.

That doesn't mean reports that Tony Romo wants Houston aren't true. Allbright adds, “Tony prefers Houston. Jerry prefers that Tony goes to Denver.”

When asked if Tony Romo would let Jerry Jones sway his decision based on their relationship Allbright says, “Jerry certainly has some sway. They are family friends they want to maintain that relationship.” However Allbright also added there is no sense of urgency when it comes to releasing Romo and that Jerry is content riding it out towards the Draft. He doesn't expect any release until June 1.

So would Jerry Jones prefer he didn't receive any draft picks or anything in return for Romo if it meant he wouldn't be playing in Houston? Maybe. Allbright says, “The bigger win here [For Jones] is getting Tony out of Texas.”

I want punch Jerruh in the face

1) Romo is no Manning, though Manning was no Manning when they won in Denver.
2) I wouldn't be surprised if we'd already offered a trade of some kind & Jerrah balked.
3) It's no sure thing Romo would sign with us even if released.
4) This: "I'm sure Romo is the same way. He'll say what he needs to say to get his foot in the door, but when it comes down to it, he'll play for Jacksonville at $20M/yr before he'll play for Houston at $13M/yr."
5) It's time to bring in Cutler and maybe Cap. Just for a look-see & a chat.

Back