Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How about Tony Romo in Houston

no, I meant, "the reasoning behind such a rule"

Some team probably signed a free agent like 5 minutes after midnight on the first day of FA back in the day and an owner got mad and wanted to make an ineffective rule outlawing that.

Maybe you can talk to their agent but not the player themselves? That's just what I assumed was the deal.
For example, this year NFL free agency did not officially begin until March 9 at 4:00 PM, but a "negotiating period" or "legal tampering period" as it's come to be known began March 7 at noon. During that 2 day negotiating period, agents could negotiate numbers, but not sign a deal. Teams could talk to agents, but not the player directly. Players could not visit with other teams, only their own. The given reason for the establishment of the "legal tampering period" that the player was still under contract with their present team until March 9 (and the home team should be given every chance to re-sign their own player).

It's interesting to note that the "legal tampering period" used to be 3 days. Guess the League felt that a potential suitor team was given too much time to make an "intelligent" decision and the present team was given too little time to negotiate retaining their own. This is why the 1st wave of expensive FA signings by "new" teams virtually always involves "proven" players with well-establish track records to allow for the intelligent basis of a team's decision...............the antithesis of the Osweiler signing.:toropalm:

Some team probably signed a free agent like 5 minutes after midnight on the first day of FA back in the day and an owner got mad and wanted to make an ineffective rule outlawing that.

yeah, but this brings back to my previous question.

Did we sign Os before he was a free agent?

if yes, how come we were able to do that?

if not, how come we didn't talk to him before making the offer?

EDIT:
ok, CnD kinda answered this one for me.

no, I meant, "the reasoning behind such a rule"

They would consider it tampering. Let's say one team wants a particular player off another team. They could contact the player & say, "We'll offer you a deal with 60% guaranteed money. We'll make you the highest paid at your position." So then the player goes back to his team, looks at their offer. It's nowhere close to what the other team said they would do, so he turns them down. He's actually stopped negotiating with them because they don't value him as much as another team does.

Eventually that player gets to free agency & the other team withdraws their offer, actually no offer was made, just a bunch of talk. They had no intention of signing him to such a deal. They just wanted to make negotiating with his former team impossible.

In the past, no contact was allowed with the player or his agent. But they knew preliminary talks were happening in some form or fashion anyway. So they allowed teams to discuss high level contract talks with the agents. IMO, this allows agents to get into enough detail about contracts that he can weed out the "pie in the sky" offers.

I think it's a good rule. & 99.9% of the time, things work out like they should. Everyone you see being signed day 1 of FA never met with the team they are signing to. In this situation, with a QB, & with out HC's proclivity of blowing up & lashing out at people, it might not have been a good idea.

Still, I think it's unlikely they would have uncovered an incompatibility issue between O'b & Osweiler with a couple of sit down, be on your best behavior meetings.

yeah, but this brings back to my previous question.

Did we sign Os before he was a free agent?

if yes, how come we were able to do that?

if not, how come we didn't talk to him before making the offer?

EDIT:
ok, CnD kinda answered this one for me.

No it was definitely after free agency had started when we signed Osweiler. The only players that can be signed before the new league year and FA beginning are guys who are cut. Players whose contracts are just ending have to wait until the official start of FA.

I believe players can talk to any team who shows interest after the FA period begins and they are declared UFA's. Teams and players talked to one another this off-season to determine compatibility. I think the Texans knee-jerked on the Osweiler signing.

No it was definitely after free agency had started when we signed Osweiler. The only players that can be signed before the new league year and FA beginning are guys who are cut. Players whose contracts are just ending have to wait until the official start of FA.

Brock was signed on the 1st day of the league year, March 9th. Link

March 7-9: Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4 p.m., ET, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m., ET, on March 9.

March 9: 2016 NFL League Year begins. Free agency opens at 4 p.m. ET.

Browns said yesterday they definitely won't use their 1st pick on a QB.

You all will hate Brock even more when he plays much better for another team.

I won't.

I think if it were just the bad play, he'd still be here, working on getting better every day.

But I think he & O'b just didn't get along. When your the GOAT, you're allowed to crow a little here & there. When you're "Aintdonesht" ... not so much.

Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

One tidbit on #Cowboys QB Tony Romo: CBS is eyeing him as a potential replacement for Phil Simms in the booth. A big-time opportunity looms.

2:49 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Jason McIntyre

✔@jasonrmcintyre

High Stakes poker continues. Romo & Jerry both forcing the Texans to ante up a draft pick. Jerry usually doesn't lose these. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/847173852652126208 …

2:55 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Toro Times

✔@Texans_TT

Report: #Cowboys haven't had trade talks with #Texans or #Broncos about Tony Romo http://torotimes.com/2017/03/29/dallas-cowboys-havent-had-trade-talks-with-houston-texans-or-denver-broncos-about-tony-romo/ …

1:32 PM - 29 Mar 2017

I think O'Brien is going with Savage, his "selected project" for the 2017 season. I want to see this happen because it would appear to be far too foolish to sign a Romo or Cutler to come in and take this guys snaps away. This is the team's final opportunity (season) to find out what O'Brien's grooming created in regards to being a finished product. As far as him being "season-ending" injury prone...that's a bit subjective.

Year 1: Injured but kept on the 53 Man Roster. There was no way the Texans were going to risk exposing him by placing him on the PS. Must've been a reason for this move.

Year 2: Injured but put on IR. Everyone knew that he hadn't suffered a season-ending injury. He could've easily been back on the field by week 5-6. The IR option kept him off the 53 Man Roster which freed up a roster spot and allowed O'Brien to continue his development. O'Brien was obviously vested in Savage time wise and based on the comment he made when explaining how he/they tested Savage daily on his playbook knowledge. Again, the team must have found this to be the best route versus having him recover and try to stash him on the PS to continue his development. Even being injured, if the Texans tried to put Savage on the PS during the season, he would've been gone fairly quickly.

Year3: This is where the development train went off the tracks. I firmly believe O'Brien was ready roll Savage out as the starter for 2016. Like any young QB, he had to get under center and start taking snaps to finalize his development. Instead, McNair and RS go out and sign Osweiler without ever consulting O'Brien, hence the "never really had a chance to discuss it" statement b/c it was imperative to make the move immediately. Really!!! O'Brien was vested in his development QB and was blind-sided by having to turn his focus over to Osweiler to prepare him versus Savage to be the opening day starting QB. When O'Brien yanked Osweiler and inserted Savage...the necessary move was met with a "brave move" statement from McNair. Did this statement strike anyone else as showing a little resentment towards having their (McNair / RS) hand-picked QB benched? The injury (concussion) that derailed Savage's insertion as the starting QB was an absolute sham!!! If anyone was watching the game, the hit that created the "so-called" concussion was over the top of his left should...never even saw the helmet to helmet contact. Savage was brought to the sideline and when the Doc came over to start the concussion protocol, Savage went nuts and tossed his helmet to the ground. To make it look good, he was sent to the locker room for further evaluation. But, somehow he was cleared and sent back to the sideline. He didn't appear to be zig-zagging as he made his way back to the sideline, seems like he ran a pretty straight and authorative line right back to the sideline and was ready to go back in the game. He was so cleared, O'Brien inserted him back into the game...mostly to take the final snap but to also let Osweiler know, he'd be back on the bench at the start of the second half. There must've been some calls made by McNair and RS to get their man back on the field b/c poor TS had a complete relapse in the locker room. O'Brien just followed orders and Savage never talked about his "so-called" concussion. I don't view O'Brien as a HC who would almost be forced to come to blows with one of his players...unless said player, Osweiler, is talking smack to O'Brien b/c he's got an overly-comfortable relationship with McNair and Smith. This whole side-show pushed Savage's development back a year.

Any young QB drafted and expected to be a starting QB is either taking their learning snaps from Day 1, by mid-year one, start of year two, by mid-year two or competing for the starting job in year three. Savage has had one and half games as the starting QB...hardly enough time to qualify as a failure or success. Bortles has had 3 down seasons and he'll still be the starter come 2017. Carr got there last year but his OL got a lot better in year 3. By the way, I was not a fan of Savage's when the Texans drafted him b/c I was freaking out over the fact they skipped over Carr in the draft when they had him right there for the picking. Over the past 3 seasons, I have slowly become a fan of Savage and want to see what O'Brien has seen in him for 3 seasons before I throw him to another NFL Fanchise.
The bolded is pure speculation on your part. There isn't a shred of evidence supporting this narrative. OB, himself, has said the exact opposite. Now, maybe, McNair and Smith pushed the topic onto OB, but to state such a thing as fact is wrong. One thing I see from all of this is that, IF things went down like you and a few others suggest, OB now has the ammo to stand up for Savage and name him starting QB. That hasn't happened. OB has "praised" Savage and Weeden but hasn't named a starter. In fact, he somewhat stressed the point that it's a "fluid situation". Conspiracy theorist's will automatically point the finger at McNair and Smith as pushing a different QB on OB and will still lack the aforementioned smoking gun evidence. I don't see OB letting that happen to him again IF Os was pushed on him. It's my opinion that Smith/OB, in concert, backed signing OS so both have plenty of crow to eat in regards to Os' signing. I will admit the likelihood of Smith pushing Os on OB ala keeping Rolle over Charles III on Hard Knocks. That is a plausible scenario to me.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...heart-dallas-cowboys-houston-texans/99792282/

Texans owner Bob McNair, who got burned in last year's Brock Osweiler gamble, clearly has a sense of the Romo dynamics in play with Jones.

“He saw the trade we made,” McNair told USA TODAY Sports, alluding to the startling deal that sent Osweiler, his $16 million salary for 2017 and a second-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a pay dump. “(Jones) wants to make a trade. I understand that.

“But he’s between a rock and a hard place with that.”

Damn. McNair going in

He has entered a golf tournament for the 1st time since 2013. Seems to be feeling fine.

There goes that theory then. How long does he need to figure out if he wants to play football? Is that they type of guy we want? Someone whose heart may not be fully into it?

This whole waiting game and GloryHole Jones saying he has Romo's best interest at heart is really odd. More so when Romo has been away from the team and only talks to Jerry.
Maybe he really is looking into the commentator option and is done with football. Meanwhile fans and media are pulling a Jake Plummer on him, wanting to believe he still wants to play.

It's just weird. Really weird.

There goes that theory then. How long does he need to figure out if he wants to play football? Is that they type of guy we want? Someone whose heart may not be fully into it?

This whole waiting game and GloryHole Jones saying he has Romo's best interest at heart is really odd. More so when Romo has been away from the team and only talks to Jerry.
Maybe he really is looking into the commentator option and is done with football. Meanwhile fans and media are pulling a Jake Plummer on him, wanting to believe he still wants to play.

How long would anyone need to figure out if they want to retire from the career they've been wholly devoted to?

Is there a static meter for gauging that kind of thing?

And if he said he absolutely passionately and desperately wanted to continue playing would that move things along any faster for Jerry?

I won't.

I think if it were just the bad play, he'd still be here, working on getting better every day.

But I think he & O'b just didn't get along. When your the GOAT, you're allowed to crow a little here & there. When you're "Aintdonesht" ... not so much.
Maybe Brock felt he was not fitting in and was marginalized by O'b. Why is it automatically a matter of Brock being the villain?

I won't.

Maybe Brock felt he was not fitting in and was marginalized by O'b. Why is it automatically a matter of Brock being the villain?
If you gave me $37M with another $35M on tap, I'm going to do what I gotta do to fit in.
We don't know the particulars. Only the fact that BOB and Os got in a heated confrontation.

If it is deemed BOB got his man at QB this season and then we get more of the same in regards to overall record that will say all I need to know.

Last edited:
...If it is deemed BOB got his man at QB this season and the we get more of the same in regards to overall record that will say all I need to know.
But we can never know if this is the case.

It could be that OB is confident going into the season with Savage and Weeden as one and two, with a lower round draft pick as number three; but is being told we WILL take a QB in the first or second round. Or is being told we WILL sign Romo if possible.

With the perception that we have of the Texans front office and ownership, we can never be confident in the decisions made.

But we can never know if this is the case.

It could be that OB is confident going into the season with Savage and Weeden as one and two, with a lower round draft pick as number three; but is being told we WILL take a QB in the first or second round. Or is being told we WILL sign Romo if possible.

With the perception that we have of the Texans front office and ownership, we can never be confident in the decisions made.
I am perfectly fine with the front office. O'b has plenty to work with outside of Qb. We are far from the only team lacking a quality Qb.

Getting Brock was a move that failed but nothing ventured nothing gained. I am glad ownership and the front office took the chance.

Brock turned out bad but I am not going to let O'b completely off the hook.

Going off of personal feelings and a few articles with no proof of how things have been run is not going to make me place all the blame on ownership and the front office.

That does not let them off the hook but I am certain the dynamics are not so cut and dry and one sided.

It must be nice that no matter how poorly the team does a lot of people will find no fault with the head coach.

O'b may not have complete control but he is not ignored completely. Even if he had complete control I doubt he is a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Belichick. Some seem to think he is along those lines. He may be but I don't see it.

I am perfectly fine with the front office. O'b has plenty to work with outside of Qb. We are far from the only team lacking a quality Qb.

Getting Brock was a move that failed but nothing ventured nothing gained. I am glad ownership and the front office took the chance.

Brock turned out bad but I am not going to let O'b completely off the hook.

Going off of personal feelings and a few articles with no proof of how things have been run is not going to make me place all the blame on ownership and the front office.

That does not let them off the hook but I am certain the dynamics are not so cut and dry and one sided.

It must be nice that no matter how poorly the team does a lot of people will find no fault with the head coach.

O'b may not have complete control but he is not ignored completely. Even if he had complete control I doubt he is a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Belichick. Some seem to think he is along those lines. He may be but I don't see it.

OB should certainly get his share of the blame, but our front office has drafted 3 QBs during the entire Rick Smith tenure. They were drafted in the 7th Round, 5th Round, and 4th Round, and only one of those in the past five drafts. That is incomprehensible to me.

OB should certainly get his share of the blame, but our front office has drafted 3 QBs during the entire Rick Smith tenure. They were drafted in the 7th Round, 5th Round, and 4th Round, and only one of those in the past five drafts. That is incomprehensible to me.

AND spent 2 2nds on a QB who held the starting job for 7 seasons of that time period.

Then there's the 3 seasons OB has been here during which time his 'system' has been increasingly installed ... and the offense has gotten worse each year.

How long would anyone need to figure out if they want to retire from the career they've been wholly devoted to?

Is there a static meter for gauging that kind of thing?

And if he said he absolutely passionately and desperately wanted to continue playing would that move things along any faster for Jerry?

He's had two years. How much time does a guy need?

if Romo didn't want to play football he could ride the pine in Dallas for $14 million.

Reactions: Max
I bet Jones could find way to keep him if he wanted. Dak could get knocked from game

I'm sure he could. But they were already to release him before the Osweiler trade.

The decision was already made. They won't be spending $14M for Romo to ride the pine

AND spent 2 2nds on a QB who held the starting job for 7 seasons of that time period.

Then there's the 3 seasons OB has been here during which time his 'system' has been increasingly installed ... and the offense has gotten worse each year.
Very true...I should have included Schaubbie. Thank you Cak. We gave a 7th for Mallett as well.

It was pretty clear that Schaub was not the same during the last half of 2012, and I'm not sure many of us were convinced that TJ was *the guy*, though we were hopeful. I still feel that drafting one QB since 2012 is inexcusable, no matter how many cast offs from other teams they bring in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Very true...I should have included Schaubbie. Thank you Cak. We gave a 7th for Mallett as well.

It was pretty clear that Schaub was not the same during the last half of 2012, and I'm not sure many of us were convinced that TJ was *the guy*, though we were hopeful. I still feel that drafting one QB since 2012 is inexcusable, no matter how many cast offs from other teams they bring in.

A careful team would have upgraded the backup after the 2011 injury.

After the 2012 slump it was stupid not to do something.

After the debacle of 2013 it was criminal for more not to have been done.

You see any $14 mil backups around the league?
We just traded one. I do get it. But Romo starting at $14 m + Prescott's is same as the reverse. Dallas top 51 + draft pool = $1.341 million salary cap today.
Is Jerry Jones going to risk 2017 on Prescott and some JAG and/or a day 2 or 3 QB? Maybe

We just traded one. I do get it. But Romo starting at $14 m + Prescott's is same as the reverse. Dallas top 51 + draft pool = $1.341 million salary cap today.
Is Jerry Jones going to risk 2017 on Prescott and some JAG and/or a day 2 or 3 QB? Maybe

Not even close to the same. We traded Oz's guaranteed money. There's no guarantee on Romo's $14 mil.

Matt Flynn pocketed $14.5M throwing 9 passes on 2012.

That was a rare case though.

We're not talking demoted players waiting to be cut/traded. Flynn was brought in to be starter. Once demoted he was 86d asap.

And counting all of the signing bonus in the year paid is throwing a kiwi into an apple discussion.

Bill O'Brien realizes Texans' revolving door at QB not best method
By John McClain

March 29, 2017 Updated: March 29, 2017 10:52pm

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Whether the Texans acquire Tony Romo or promote Tom Savage, one thing is certain in 2017: They will have a new starting quarterback for the fourth consecutive season under coach Bill O'Brien.

In O'Brien's first three seasons, the Texans employed 10 quarterbacks, including eight starters. O'Brien's opening-day starters have been Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Savage and Brandon Weeden are the only quarterbacks on the roster, and both are in the last year of their contracts.

Obviously, the position must be addressed. It's up to general manager Rick Smith and O'Brien to find a quarterback they believe can make them a legitimate Super Bowl contender. It's the highest priority.

"Everybody is striving for stability at that position," O'Brien said this week at the NFL owners meetings. "Obviously, we haven't had stability there, and that hasn't been any one person's fault. We're always trying to do what's best for the team.

"Whether it's the draft, or someone available in free agency that we thought was a great fit for our team, then we would do that."

That lack of stability at the most important position on the team hasn't kept the Texans from finishing 9-7 in each of O'Brien's three seasons, including winning AFC South titles the last two.

"You're trying to figure out what it is that you need to do at every position to stabilize it," he said. "It hasn't totally worked out yet."

Next season's starter could be Romo if Dallas owner Jerry Jones ever releases him. It could be Savage, who's in his fourth season and knows the system well, as does Weeden.

A rushed marriage

Owner Bob McNair said this week that one problem with signing Osweiler last year was not having time to get to know him and to see how he might fit with O'Brien.

O'Brien and Osweiler clashed repeatedly.

"The quarterback position in this league, regardless of what team they're on, has demands put on them," O'Brien said. "You're playing probably the hardest position in professional sports.

"You have to make decisions at a moment's notice. You have to be ultra-prepared. You have to be an ultimate competitor. You have to be a great communicator. You have to have leadership skills.

"Look, our offense, we have a number of different ways we try to move the football. One thing we've (coaches) tried to do this offseason is simplify things. We're not talking about rocket science with our offense. We just need to do a good job of coaching."

No matter what happens with Romo, it won't impact what the Texans will do in the draft. They're expected to use a high pick on a quarterback if they find one they like, possibly in the first round.

Don't expect the first-round pick to start unless the Texans have an outbreak of injuries at quarterback.

"I think it's tough to play quarterback as a rookie in our league," O'Brien said. "I think there's no substitute for experience.

"It's hard to ask a guy to come in straight from college, and Day One he's a starter. But I know there are some really good quarterbacks in this draft that we're looking at, and we've met with a lot of them. We're excited about continuing to get to know them."

Even though they need a quarterback, the Texans won't reach for one. The same goes at other need positions like offensive tackle.

"You can't rush and grab a guy just because you think you need that position," O'Brien said. "You have to take that thought process out of it and say, 'This is the best thing for our team in 2017. This is what we have with our team. Let's make sure we have the right guy at that position and not reach for somebody we're not sure about.'

"If there's a doubt in your mind, don't do it. Stick with what you have, and coach them up. Whoever Rick gives us, we (coaches) try to do the best job we can. I think we've proven we can do that."

O'Brien likes Savage and Weeden, but he knows they need at least one and possibly two more players at their position.

"We're excited about the two guys that are coming back," he said. "Both have played for us, and both won games for us."

Last season, the Texans had the NFL's top-ranked defense and an above-average running game. Osweiler was 8-6 as a starter but was benched for Savage. Osweiler returned to the lineup when Savage suffered a concussion.

The Texans overcame erratic play by Osweiler to reach the divisional round of the playoffs before being eliminated at New England.

Proud of staff

"I'm a big believer in the team aspect of things," O'Brien said. "We try to coach our players based on who we have, where we think they fit, what are our strengths and how are we trying to play this game against this opponent.

"We're pretty proud as a coaching staff. We've done a good job, I think, developing players. We haven't been perfect. Don't get me wrong, we have made our share of mistakes. To me, the key for us is to get better at eliminating mistakes."

Especially at quarterback.

We're not talking demoted players waiting to be cut/traded. Flynn was brought in to be starter. Once demoted he was 86d asap.

And counting all of the signing bonus in the year paid is throwing a kiwi into an apple discussion.
You're right, NOW that you put all those qualifiers in.
:swatter:

Tony Romo returns to golfing
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/romo-returns-to-golfing/
As the Cowboys play chess, checkers, and/or chicken with the Texans and/or the Broncos regarding Tony Romo, Romo is back to playing a different game.

Via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Romo will compete in the Azalea Invitational, Thursday through Sunday at the Country Club of Charleston, South Carolina.

Romo ditched competitive golf in 2013, due in part to his back surgeries and other injuries. The fact that he’s playing again suggests that he feels pretty good about his overall health.

It also suggests he’s not sitting around fretting about his football future, which has yet to be resolved and apparently may not be until July. More on where that all stands in a separate post.

Tony Romo is playing golf, jogging, lifting weights, running around the backyard playing with his kids. Not bad for a guy people label as injury prone with a bad back.

He also looked "amazing" in that one Touchdown drive in the final game against the Eagles. His only regular-season action 2016. If he retires he's doing so in pretty good health I must say. And if he wants to play I hope he's able to play for a good team like the Houston Texans.

It would be so fitting for Tony Romo to win a Super Bowl with the Texans. I'd love to see Jerry Jones' reaction next February when that happens!

Back