Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans V Miami Aquatic Mammals Game Day thread

By the way, we have said that exact same thing in years before. It cracks me up the way we throw out that line of "This is a game that in the past could have slipped away from us." For two seasons, we've had games that "could have slipped away from us" that we won.

Exhibit A: Washington Redskins in 2010
Exhibit B: Kansas City Chiefs in 2010
Exhibit C: @ Tennessee Titans in 2009

All those games were early in the season, I was here on the message board for all of them, and the same bull **** you are spewing was being said back then too. "This team is changed!!" "Even though we played like crap for much of the game, this is a different team!" "This was a game that would have slipped away from us last year!"

You know what else those games have in common? They were all played by a team that didn't make it to the playoffs.

But what do I know? I'm just a Negative Nellie!

Yes, you are.

PS - Get a grip....

Well they too have struggled with pass protection, Ryan has thrown a pick, and have had some 3 and out's.. They've been scoring TD's but there D has helped them out alot too...

Sounds like a lot of the same things that you are knocking Houston off your elite offense list, but whatever.. it's your list man

Well to be honest, I probably wouldn't consider Atlanta an elite offense. They were a better offense than the Texans last year (points matter more than yards), IMO. The only offenses that I believe are truly elite are New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, and Peyton's Colts. The next tier contains San Diego, Atlanta, Philadelphia (possibly elite), Pittsburgh, and now Detroit. We are also in that next tier.

I am of the opinion that to be a contender, the elite teams can succeed with a mid-level defense. Indy, New England, and New Orleans fall into this category. Green Bay is the Super Bowl winner because they have both an elite offense and an elite defense. Philly has potentially an elite offense (if Vick continues the success he had last year) and a top 10 defense (taking into account turnovers). Pittsburgh has a great offense and an elite defense. San Diego arguably has an elite offense with an average defense. Atlanta's future is up in the air just as we are. Do they (and we) have an elite or almost elite offense (it truly is debatable) and how good is their (and our) defense? If the answer is just good for the offense and average for the defense, then I don't believe that team will be a contender. Can anyone name a team that fits the bill? A good offense (not elite or great) and an average defense?

On another note, Dunta Robinson is a punk ass thug. I am so glad he is no longer a Texan. He intentionally goes for headshots on players and just plays dirty. The dude is a grade A punk.

I am not happy. This is not the way a playoff team plays. Look at what the Pats did to the Dolphins.

I am concerned.

Are you freaking serious? Playoff teams don't win road games?
I guess Baltimore ain't making the playoffs this year then. Some people. You just can't please them.

Well to be honest, I probably wouldn't consider Atlanta an elite offense. They were a better offense than the Texans last year (points matter more than yards), IMO. The only offenses that I believe are truly elite are New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, and Peyton's Colts. The next tier contains San Diego, Atlanta, Philadelphia (possibly elite), Pittsburgh, and now Detroit. We are also in that next tier.

I am of the opinion that to be a contender, the elite teams can succeed with a mid-level defense. Indy, New England, and New Orleans fall into this category. Green Bay is the Super Bowl winner because they have both an elite offense and an elite defense. Philly has potentially an elite offense (if Vick continues the success he had last year) and a top 10 defense (taking into account turnovers). Pittsburgh has a great offense and an elite defense. San Diego arguably has an elite offense with an average defense. Atlanta's future is up in the air just as we are. Do they (and we) have an elite or almost elite offense (it truly is debatable) and how good is their (and our) defense? If the answer is just good for the offense and average for the defense, then I don't believe that team will be a contender. Can anyone name a team that fits the bill? A good offense (not elite or great) and an average defense?

Ok, as long as your backed off your stance that Atl's offense was elite, or definitively more elite than ours..

I guess Baltimore ain't making the playoffs this year then. Some people. You just can't please them.

Read the rest of the thread. Some people. I guess I can see why they call you Speedy.

Detroit is in that list after two games and we're relegated to "also in that next tier." after what, three years of amazing offense?

Wow.

That's why we say that... Those games we had a terrible defense and had to rely on our offense to bring us back and steal the win... they also came down to the wire... Those games do not compare to this one... We won it with our defense and the offense made enough plays, but the defense sealed it. How often do you see the Texans kneel out the clock on the road at the opponents goaline... up 10 :kitten: So essentially this is a "different" team in that regard.

I would argue that we should have drove it in for a Tate rushing TD instead of kneeling down.

Yeah, we were going to win the game...but that doesn't mean you "mercy rule" the ending and not try to score. Trying to score, if it fails, still runs out the clock too. And the Dolphins were not going to score 11 points by getting a fluke fumble in that spot (if we had tried to score there) and taking it back somehow.

I am only saying this because I want to see the same sort of "BLEED THEM TO DEATH" mentality that Tom Brady & Bill Belichick employ with the Patriots. When the game was winding down vs. the Dolphins, the Patriots didn't let off the gas...they went for a BOMB with Welker and scored a TD from 99 yards out.

I actually wanted to see Gary turn cut-throat for a second. You think Bill Belichick would have downed the ball from the opponent's one or two-yard line? Fisher wouldn't have. Del Rio wouldn't have.

Being a classy guy is for press conferences. Being bigger and stronger and mercilessly beating down your opponent is what builds swagger, and makes other teams squeamish when they are defending an offense such as the Patriots who will hang 72 on you if you let them.

Disagree all you want. That's your opinion, too. I just wanted to see Kubiak end the game with a statement as we head away from Miami and toward New Orleans. I doubt Drew Brees would have willingly downed the ball in that situation. This is not for show. This is for being better than 31 other teams out there, and saying "You can't stop me. You can't. So get out of the way."

It doesn't make me angry at Kubiak. I'm beyond that now. I just wanted to see a different reaction and a polar-opposite "call" by Kubiak there. I wanted him to make his whole team do a double-take and think "This guy just did that? Damn. Alright then. I can dig that."

Instead, I worry we're all Landry and not enough Johnson (if you know what I mean. Double-meaning intended). Alas, I savor this win and am glad to be 2-0 and not 1-1. 2-0 is goooood. 2-0 > 1-1 every time.

I would argue that we should have drove it in for a Tate rushing TD instead of kneeling down.

Yeah, we were going to win the game...but that doesn't mean you "mercy rule" the ending and not try to score. Trying to score, if it fails, still runs out the clock too. And the Dolphins were not going to score 11 points by getting a fluke fumble in that spot (if we had tried to score there) and taking it back somehow.

I am only saying this because I want to see the same sort of "BLEED THEM TO DEATH" mentality that Tom Brady & Bill Belichick employ with the Patriots. When the game was winding down vs. the Dolphins, the Patriots didn't let off the gas...they went for a BOMB with Welker and scored a TD from 99 yards out.

I actually wanted to see Gary turn cut-throat for a second. You think Bill Belichick would have downed the ball from the opponent's one or two-yard line? Fisher wouldn't have. Del Rio wouldn't have.

Being a classy guy is for press conferences. Being bigger and stronger and mercilessly beating down your opponent is what builds swagger, and makes other teams squeamish when they are defending an offense such as the Patriots who will hang 72 on you if you let them.

Disagree all you want. That's your opinion, too. I just wanted to see Kubiak end the game with a statement as we head away from Miami and toward New Orleans. I doubt Drew Brees would have willingly downed the ball in that situation. This is not for show. This is for being better than 31 other teams out there, and saying "You can't stop me. You can't. So get out of the way."

It doesn't make me angry at Kubiak. I'm beyond that now. I just wanted to see a different reaction and a polar-opposite "call" by Kubiak there. I wanted him to make his whole team do a double-take and think "This guy just did that? Damn. Alright then. I can dig that."

Instead, I worry we're all Landry and not enough Johnson (if you know what I mean. Double-meaning intended). Alas, I savor this win and am glad to be 2-0 and not 1-1. 2-0 is goooood. 2-0 > 1-1 every time.

The Lions didn't even do that against the Cheifs, and they were up 41-3. I wish Kubiak would have ran it in with Tate. But Brees may have downed it. I remember the Saints were in a similar situation against the Cowboys during Payton's first season, and they kneeled it instead of running up the score.

Detroit is in that list after two games and we're relegated to "also in that next tier." after what, three years of amazing offense?

Wow.

Look at Detroit's offense and tell me that they don't look like they have an elite offense.

I also don't think the Texans have been as amazing over three years as you have. I mean if your standard is yards, sure they have been impressive. I prefer to look at points scored per game. In that category, the Texans have been average at best to terrible at worst.

Putting up 500 yards a game is all well and good but if you are only putting up 15-20 ppg and don't have an elite defense, you are probably losing.

Look at Detroit's offense and tell me that they don't look like they have an elite offense.

I also don't think the Texans have been as amazing over three years as you have. I mean if your standard is yards, sure they have been impressive. I prefer to look at points scored per game. In that category, the Texans have been average at best to terrible at worst.

Putting up 500 yards a game is all well and good but if you are only putting up 15-20 ppg and don't have an elite defense, you are probably losing.

Texans have been in or around the top ten scoring for a few years now.

It's the fact that we often fail to score td's early that gets to me. The offense could make life so much easier on the defense if they score td's early in games.

If our offense was elite, that would never have been a game yesterday.

Texans have been in or around the top ten scoring for a few years now.

It's the fact that we often fail to score td's early that gets to me. The offense could make life so much easier on the defense if they score td's early in games.

If our offense was elite, that would never have been a game yesterday.

Are you sure we have ever been in the top 10 in scoring

9th last year, 10th in 2009.

I don't care what anyone says. This offense is in the upper echelon. So they don't average 30 a game like New England does, but who else but New England does? For us to score 24 points a game, where the burden was SOLELY on the offense to win the game, is utterly remarkable. Not to mention our average starting field position, which had to have been the worst in the league.

Our total yardage last year was third in the entire league. Fourth in passing yards. Seventh in rushing.

We have a Top 10 QB, the best WR in football, and arguably the best RB in football. We have a above average offensive line. We also have a top-level tight end. Not to mention the RB DEPTH. Arguably the deepest RB corps in the league.

But whatever. You guys will do anything to cut the team down. This team is considered by just about everyone to be one of the most dangerous offenses in the league. Detroit is dangerous as hell, but it's been TWO games. Propping up to the same level as us when we've been doing it for years now is catastrophically absurd.

Texans won the battles of...

1st downs 19-18
Total Yards 346-306
Turnovers 2-0
Time of possession 34:06-25:54

and....

won by 10 points on the road

I'm not saying there aren't areas of concern...but dang, I'm having a hard time telling wins from losses by reading the message board.

That's just scoring rankings though.

But that is what an offense is supposed to do- score points. I dont give a damn if the offense puts up 600 yards or 200- as long as they score. Look at Cam Newton and the Panthers- over 800 passing yards,and 2nd in the NFL for yards per game, but no W's, because for all those yards they only put up 22 points/game (T-18th in the league).

I think this is a good point. We know Baltimore is a play-off team. They came out really strong in week 1, dismantling the 2010 AFC Super Bowl representative.

Week 2 they laid an egg.

We aren't established like Baltimore, we've got work to do, just like they do.

Ckw has a point.... just like everyone of us knows we've got work to do, that's all he's saying.

Read the rest of the thread. Some people. I guess I can see why they call you Speedy.

I don't need to read the rest when your credibility was lost after that sentence.

No, the Texans didn't look good yesterday, but they did WIN. At the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

Will they beat New Orleans next week playing like that? Probably not. Will the Ravens win another game playing like they did yesterday? Probably not.

Even the New England Patriots have problems. 31st in defense for starters. (BTW, the Texans are ranked #1 at the moment).

So, no, the Texans have problems like every team in this league does, including those that will make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.......well, maybe not Green Bay, but even they will lose a game or 4 down the road that no one expects them to.

Saying playoff teams don't play like the Texans did yesterday is a dumb statement. Period. See Pittsburgh and Atlanta in week 1 and Baltimore yesterday. This is the NFL. Any team can rise up any given Sunday. The Texans didn't play as well as we want, but they played well enough to win. Baltimore and the Eagles dream team didn't.

I am only saying this because I want to see the same sort of "BLEED THEM TO DEATH" mentality that Tom Brady & Bill Belichick employ with the Patriots. When the game was winding down vs. the Dolphins, the Patriots didn't let off the gas...they went for a BOMB with Welker and scored a TD from 99 yards out. I actually wanted to see Gary turn cut-throat for a second. You think Bill Belichick would have downed the ball from the opponent's one or two-yard line? Fisher wouldn't have. Del Rio wouldn't have.

They did not "go for a BOMB"

Brady threw a 15 yard pass from the shadow of his own goalpost into 1 on 1 coverage

Welker stiff-armed and YAC'd his way to runing up the score, but the play call wasn't necessarily intended to do so.. they were just trying to move the ball out of their own endzone.. power run game just isn't their strength

They did not "go for a BOMB"

Brady threw a 15 yard pass from the shadow of his own goalpost into 1 on 1 coverage

Welker stiff-armed and YAC'd his way to runing up the score, but the play call wasn't necessarily intended to do so.. they were just trying to move the ball out of their own endzone.. power run game just isn't their strength

Was it a 5-yard curl? No.

Was it a 5-yard slant? No.

It was as vertical of a play as they come, bro.

Don't do this. It makes you look petty. You're picking a fight and it's obvious.

It was an intentionally VERTICAL pass play. A bomb. They were not looking to get the ball right at the first down marker or something, it was designed to go the distance.

It was an intentionally VERTICAL pass play. A bomb. They were not looking to get the ball right at the first down marker or something, it was designed to go the distance.

To Wes Welker?

They draw up bomb's to Wes Welker all the time....

because he is their speed guy.

I think he's right on this one GP, if the play was to get Welker isolated on that corner, it wasn't for any reason other than move the chains. It's not like Belichick said, "Give me something to put 6 on the board..... Bomb to Welker? I like it..... Do it... Do it.."

We lead the entire game against the Dolphins, the sky is falling. The Packers struggle with a comeback victory against the worst team in football last year, Packers are still #1 team in the league.

We lead the entire game against the Dolphins, the sky is falling. The Packers struggle with a comeback victory against the worst team in football last year, Packers are still #1 team in the league.

Pretty much. The NFL is all about parity and any given sunday.

You go out and win the game. F the offensive and defensive stats and how dominant you look doing it. This is not college football. All that matters is you win these games.

To Wes Welker?

They draw up bomb's to Wes Welker all the time....

because he is their speed guy.

I think he's right on this one GP, if the play was to get Welker isolated on that corner, it wasn't for any reason other than move the chains. It's not like Belichick said, "Give me something to put 6 on the board..... Bomb to Welker? I like it..... Do it... Do it.."

No, that is EXACTLY what Bill and Tom were doing, TK. "Go deep. Eff 'em. Suck their soul from their bodies." BAM! It's pure Belichick. He remembered what being soft and not going big will do to a person, and once he got on top he ain't ever going back to mercy-ruling people.

You don't go shotgun with no RBs for protection and something like 4 or 5 WRs if you're just moving the chains.

The ball was thrown with Welker never breaking his stride. It was not meant to go at the marker (move the chains). It was meant to break the will of the Dolphins and it worked. Hell, Sparano cut the guy because of it.

Look, this is almost a mirror image discussion as I had with you guys about whether to bat down the ball or go for the interception at the end of a game. I have seen more Cornerbacks this year COME DOWN with the football in their hands rather than batting it down--The most recent example was the Bills-Raiders game. There have been other games I have seen where the CB goes up and secures the ball rather than bat it down.....but yet you guys bash me for daring to say that it was the wrong thing for us to do vs. Jags.

I know a little bit about football. I know what's right and what's not. Batting down a ball when you have a perfect shot at intercepting it is WRONG. And that pass play by Brady was a deep shot, not merely a patterned route designed to get x-amount of yards.

Why is this so hard? Welker is never slowing down, it's an over-the-shoulder grab while he is sprinting as hard as he can...but yet it was solely designed to get a first down? LOL. What the hell ever. You guys are a riot.

No, that is EXACTLY what Bill and Tom were doing, TK. "Go deep. Eff 'em. Suck their soul from their bodies." BAM! It's pure Belichick. He remembered what being soft and not going big will do to a person, and once he got on top he ain't ever going back to mercy-ruling people.

GP teams don't draw up plays for 99 yard TD's....

Also, I still disagree with you on the basic principal of batting balls down. Batting a ball down vs. trying to catch lowers the percentage of anyone catching it.

I think there was a ball batted in the air against the Dolphins or the Colts. I think it was OD that ran in there and batted the ball down instead of going for the catch. I've seen receivers bat balls that down to the ground many times. Yes it backfired against us when Quinn did it. But it has worked countless other times. You use one fluke play to say that something tried and proven doesn't work and I just don't agree with you on this at all.

Oh, I guess deep passes to AJ are just "moving the chains," then???

No RB protection for the QB. Shotgun formation. Over the shoulder catch. Never broke his stride.

And this was not "intentional?" Rey, rey, rey......

Oh, I guess deep passes to AJ are just "moving the chains," then???

No RB protection for the QB. Shotgun formation. Over the shoulder catch. Never broke his stride.

And this was not "intentional?" Rey, rey, rey......

Empty backfield, 5 receivers, spread the defense out, is to New England what handing the rock off to AD is for Minnesota.

The best and safest way to get first downs.

Empty backfield, 5 receivers, spread the defense out, is to New England what handing the rock off to AD is for Minnesota.

The best and safest way to get first downs.

This is true. That's N.E.'s strength. They're betting that your D can't cover everyone and that TBrady can spot the guy that ought to be open BEFORE the snap and deliver it to him before your D-line (or blitz pkg) can get the sack.

Worse case: N.E. guy makes the catch but they don't move the chains.
Better case: N.E. guy makes catch & they do move the chains.
Best case: N.E. guy makes catch and the CB blows the tackle & trips up his safety help and N.E. guy goes for six.

With a Randy Moss on your team, a Megatron, or an AJ..... I can see having that 99 yard scoring play in the play book.

But Welker... I'm not seeing it. Bill's a genius..... Tom's a HOFer.... but Welker isn't exactly the guy you think who could go 99

Somebody please start the next game thread with something like, "New Orleans Faints" because, when we put that whoopin on them, the whole city is going to faint!

I don't need to read the rest when your credibility was lost after that sentence.

No, the Texans didn't look good yesterday, but they did WIN. At the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

Will they beat New Orleans next week playing like that? Probably not. Will the Ravens win another game playing like they did yesterday? Probably not.

Even the New England Patriots have problems. 31st in defense for starters. (BTW, the Texans are ranked #1 at the moment).

So, no, the Texans have problems like every team in this league does, including those that will make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.......well, maybe not Green Bay, but even they will lose a game or 4 down the road that no one expects them to.

Saying playoff teams don't play like the Texans did yesterday is a dumb statement. Period. See Pittsburgh and Atlanta in week 1 and Baltimore yesterday. This is the NFL. Any team can rise up any given Sunday. The Texans didn't play as well as we want, but they played well enough to win. Baltimore and the Eagles dream team didn't.

The Texans have a long and storied history of finding ways to screw the pooch. Baltimore, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and other teams that have been mentioned throughout this thread have histories (and for our current discussion recent histories) of success and finding ways to win.

Our history has been one of finding ways to lose. I just don't get how many of you can't see that. Have you not done this same song and dance enough times in the past? You wet your pants with excitement over how awesome the team looks, you ignore all signs of disappointment and constantly chime in with the old tired line of "all good teams have bad games," and then you come around and are the first ones sporting the "Fire Kubiak" soap when the team chokes again.

Sorry guys, but I am going to wait until I see this team do something against an actual opponent before I start my jerk off session.

Sorry guys, but I am going to wait until I see this team do something against an actual opponent before I start my jerk off session.

So why rain on my parade?

I'm sitting here, enjoying my "jerk off session" & you come in here & try to ruin my party.

That's got to be a man card violation.

So why rain on my parade?

I'm sitting here, enjoying my "jerk off session" & you come in here & try to ruin my party.

That's got to be a man card violation.

Haha!! As soon as I am at my computer, I have to rep you. That was hilarious.

Anyway, I hate playing this role as in years past, I have been the one that has been the homer. Getting burned the last three years straight has made me a little jaded and probably made me overreact a bit.

My only hope is that the Texans completely shut me up by blowing out the Saints in New Orleans this weekend. When/if that happens, you are all more than welcome to berate me for being such a Debbie downer.

Somebody please start the next game thread with something like, "New Orleans Faints" because, when we put that whoopin on them, the whole city is going to faint!

See this is what I'm talking about right here, we haven't even reached gameday and people are worrying what clever gameday title we're going to use next!! Oh the humanity :polevault:

The Texans have a long and storied history of finding ways to screw the pooch. Baltimore, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and other teams that have been mentioned throughout this thread have histories (and for our current discussion recent histories) of success and finding ways to win.

Our history has been one of finding ways to lose. I just don't get how many of you can't see that. Have you not done this same song and dance enough times in the past? You wet your pants with excitement over how awesome the team looks, you ignore all signs of disappointment and constantly chime in with the old tired line of "all good teams have bad games," and then you come around and are the first ones sporting the "Fire Kubiak" soap when the team chokes again.

I don't know where you're getting your jerk off and wetting pants bullshit from my posts. I'm not sitting here demanding the Texans send me my playoff invoice now. I'm simply pointing out that the statement you made about playoff teams not playing like the Texans did last Sunday (winning on the road in the NFL) is an ignorant statement. And I don't need to point out all of the examples again.

And last season and the 8 others before it, don't have a damn thing to do with this season. Nobody is wetting their pants. At least I'm not. I have been around long enough. It's 2 games. I don't care if they won both of them 59-0, there's still a lot of football left, a lot of things can happen.

But that's not saying you can't get excited about what you've seen so far. A defense that is light years ahead of last year's and an offense that is still pretty potent.

The New Orleans Saints have had a much longer history of screwing the pooch. Things change.

Back