Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston Texans V Miami Aquatic Mammals Game Day thread

The Texans' defense won us this game. Lots of great playing, but still concerned about our run D. Good game, go home and regroup for the Saints. That's going to be a tough game.

That's the thing with the Texans though.. We respond differently to different matchups... like I think our offense puts up more points against the Saints and struggles less offensively for whatever reason, but our D will have their hands full.

ANYWAYS I'M A LITTLE THIRSTY... MMMMMMM :good:..... :koolaid:

Pass it around and don't hog it all.

True. That makes me feel a bit better to think about that.

But our offense looks terrible. We are not a top 5 elite NFL offense like we are led to believe.

Schaub looks like he did back his first year or two with us, Andre is dropping balls again, something he did early in his career but then got to where he caught everything in sight but now looks to have regressed, and we just don't look smooth offensively out there. I mean the Lions look like a better offense than we are!

You gotta give credit to the Dolphins defense as well. They were one of the top units in the NFL last year. I think their game against the Patriots was an anomaly. Tom Brady is tearing up the Chargers defense as well who also have a good defense.

True. That makes me feel a bit better to think about that.

But our offense looks terrible. We are not a top 5 elite NFL offense like we are led to believe.

Schaub looks like he did back his first year or two with us, Andre is dropping balls again, something he did early in his career but then got to where he caught everything in sight but now looks to have regressed, and we just don't look smooth offensively out there. I mean the Lions look like a better offense than we are!

Talk about a 1 game overreaction... AJ has regressed? CHILL OUT... :pop:

We won the game by 10 points. The defense really is better this year. I think things are looking up.

This is true... The Steelers often have wins just like the one we had 2day... Sometimes even uglier :chickendance:

If u watch some teams battle it out each week with ugly wins for 11 weeks straight

and this was not a ugly ugly win i think we were up bye 2 scores IMO in the end

I guess I should have clarified. The reason we are thought of to be a potential contender is that we are supposed to have an elite offense with now a middle of the pack defense.

So far against weak competition (average at best for the Dolphins), our D looks to be very very good. Like top 10 good. But our offense does not look like the elite offense it was billed to be.

My fear is that the defense begins to get exposed as the middle of the pack defense it probably is and we end up getting torched by guys like Brees and Roesthlisberger. Our hope in this situation is that our D is just good enough to allow our "elite" offense to stay in the game and win.

But after watching two full games and not missing a single offensive possession, our offense looks far from elite. Right now, our offense doesn't seem to be as potent as the Chargers, Lions, Patriots, Packers, Saints, Eagles, and probably Atlanta (if Matt Ryan gets it turned around).

So once again, my fear is that our offense is not as good as advertised. If our defense is better than advertised, then we will still be fine. But if it isn't and our offense continues to play like this, we will be lucky to be a playoff team and if we are, we can look forward to a first round exit.

I think Miami's D is better than the Saints' D tbh. The saints' D was built off of turnovers, which they are struggling to do without Sharper. They are also vulnerable to the run up the middle, which I assume will mean a good day for Tate.

With picks and F/a signings all going to the D for at least the past 3 years

and Nothing going to Our O i kinda knew our O wouldnt be in the top 5 anymore

not to say they cant but to stay in the top 5 for the past 5 years with nothing going in new is Impresive IMO

I guess I should have clarified. The reason we are thought of to be a potential contender is that we are supposed to have an elite offense with now a middle of the pack defense.

So far against weak competition (average at best for the Dolphins), our D looks to be very very good. Like top 10 good. But our offense does not look like the elite offense it was billed to be.

My fear is that the defense begins to get exposed as the middle of the pack defense it probably is and we end up getting torched by guys like Brees and Roesthlisberger. Our hope in this situation is that our D is just good enough to allow our "elite" offense to stay in the game and win.

But after watching two full games and not missing a single offensive possession, our offense looks far from elite. Right now, our offense doesn't seem to be as potent as the Chargers, Lions, Patriots, Packers, Saints, Eagles, and probably Atlanta (if Matt Ryan gets it turned around).

So once again, my fear is that our offense is not as good as advertised. If our defense is better than advertised, then we will still be fine. But if it isn't and our offense continues to play like this, we will be lucky to be a playoff team and if we are, we can look forward to a first round exit.

I disagree.

Last week Texans put up 34 pts in a single half. Look at the scores for both weeks, you're lucky to get that for a complete game.

They missed their chances this game though otherwise they easily go for 30 again. It was a 'alright' game against a good defense. One game doesn't take away all they did especially missing possibly their best player on offense in Arian Foster.

Talk about a 1 game overreaction... AJ has regressed? CHILL OUT... :pop:

Andre Johnson had 5 dropped passes all of last year. From what I can piece together, he already has 3 this year.

It was a problem early in his career that seemed to vanish and he turned into the AJ we all know and love. It isn't crazy to suggest an old problems, butter fingers, could be coming back for Andre.

I'm plenty chill and quit with the all caps buddy. :koolaid:

This is true... The Steelers often have wins just like the one we had 2day... Sometimes even uglier :chickendance:

This is just hilarious. We are NOT the Steelers. Our defense is nowhere near as good as the Steelers D thus our offense cannot live with making the same kind of ugly mistakes the Steelers can.

Unless our D has dramatically changed, and I mean is now a top 7 defense in the NFL, our offense has got to play better than this to be a real contender.

Every successful team has a persona. Some have great D's with average offenses. Others have great offenses with average defenses.

What are we? If our offense is what it has been against crap competition, then we are a good offense. We aren't elite. If our defense is as good as they have been in the first two games AND they can be this good against real competition like the Steelers, Saints, Falcons, and Ravens, then we will be just fine. But something tells me our defense won't look as good against those teams as they have against the Colts and Dolphins.

If all of the above is the case, then we WILL NOT win those tough games. Our defense either has got to be really good to compensate for our good but not great offense (like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, etc.) or our offense needs to be great and enter into elite category and compensate for our average to good defense (Saints, Chargers, Manning Colts, etc.).

I have watched plenty of Texans games to know I saw way too much today that was just like what I have watched since Kubiak took over. Poor play calling, an apparent lack of preparation, playing guys that shouldn't be playing, etc.

Is the sky falling? No. But am I concerned? Yes.

So you're gonna give ATL a free pass on last wk's horrendous showing, but immediately throw our offense under the bus due to today's performance??

That's absolutely ridiculous. Our offense today, probaly considered underperforming compared to its normal standards, was still miles ahead of ATL's offense from last wk. Furthermore, they haven't played this wk's game yet and you just assume that they will turn it around and have them ranked over our offense??

Some of yall just cannot be pleased.

We won the game by 10 points. The defense really is better this year. I think things are looking up.

Wow is that ever an understatement. 20 points in 2 games and under 300 yards a game so far. Heck that was given up per half last year by this defense. Even when they're giving up yards they are tough in the red zone and another couple of turnovers today. Next week should be fun to watch.

This is just hilarious. We are NOT the Steelers. Our defense is nowhere near as good as the Steelers D thus our offense cannot live with making the same kind of ugly mistakes the Steelers can.

Unless our D has dramatically changed, and I mean is now a top 7 defense in the NFL, our offense has got to play better than this to be a real contender.

The point was good teams find ways to win games like this.... many playoff teams have halves or games where they struggle offensively or defensively and find ways to take back control and win games... We used to never do that... Today WE DID... Enjoy the caps :user:

According to many, last week against a decimated terrible team, we looked pretty dang good (at least for a full half).

This week we looked "decent" against an at best average team.

Next week, we will be going against a dang good team. If we extrapolate, we should look............you can fill in the blank as you see it.........and next week, we will be able to fill in the blank as it really is.

No, the sky is not falling and I am glad we won today.........but there are concerns that have gone unanswered.

So you're gonna give ATL a free pass on last wk's horrendous showing, but immediately throw our offense under the bus due to today's performance??

That's absolutely ridiculous. Our offense today, probaly considered underperforming compared to its normal standards, was still miles ahead of ATL's offense from last wk. Furthermore, they haven't played this wk's game yet and you just assume that they will turn it around and have them ranked over our offense??

Some of yall just cannot be pleased.

Damn dude, can you not read? I specifically mentioned Atlanta with a clear disclaimer that they are only considered elite if the offense (namely Matt Ryan) somehow turns it around. Let's see how they look tonight. If they suck, they too will be removed from the "elite" conversation just like our Texans.

The Texans' defense won us this game. Lots of great playing, but still concerned about our run D. Good game, go home and regroup for the Saints. That's going to be a tough game.

I really don't think that can be fixed all that easily. The way a 3-4 fixes a run problem is having a big strong NT who occupies space. Wade likes more agile guys. We may need to draft a space eating NT who can penetrate, a la BJ Raji/Vince Wilfork.

Only other way is to run out to a big lead and force the opposition to pass.

According to many, last week against a decimated terrible team, we looked pretty dang good (at least for a full half).

This week we looked "decent" against an at best average team.

Next week, we will be going against a dang good team. If we extrapolate, we should look............you can fill in the blank as you see it.........and next week, we will be able to fill in the blank as it really is.

No, the sky is not falling and I am glad we won today.........but there are concerns that have gone unanswered.

Well said. I don't know how people can't see this.

You'd think with the numerous failures we have endured throughout Kubiak's regime, people would be a little less likely to chug the kool-aid, but it appears people are every bit as ready to bring out their excuses for Gary and his boys.

I'm ready to see this team take the next step. It looked like we had last week, even though we still let off the gas in the second half which I despise, but this week was "meh". I'm ready for us to look like a superstar team. People compared us earlier in the season to the Saints in their Super Bowl season. Just stop it. This Texans offense can't even sniff the jock straps of that Super Bowl Saints offense.

If we are to do anything this year, our defense is going to have to be better than average; in fact, they will need to be unstoppable.

I missed the bootlegs, how many did we run because I hardly remember any?

I didn't see the first 7 minutes of the game because the Bills-Raiders game went long on my local CBS station. In the rest of the game, I don't recall seeing a single bootleg. If there was ONE, I guess I zombie'd out and missed seeing it.

I wonder why that play was never called? Maybe Kubiak wanting to make the Dolphins' defense sit there and wait for it all game long...all the while just drilling Ben Tate into the LOS on running plays? Maybe so.

The 3rd quarter was a complete train wreck for our offense. But the offense in quarters 1, 2, and 4 was looking pretty good to me. AJ was BEASTING.

That's why the offense didn't look that good. We barely used the play action rollouts. Our entire offense is predicated on that.

Damn dude, can you not read? I specifically mentioned Atlanta with a clear disclaimer that they are only considered elite if the offense (namely Matt Ryan) somehow turns it around. Let's see how they look tonight. If they suck, they too will be removed from the "elite" conversation just like our Texans.

I just find it laughable that you already removed the Texans, based off of today's performance. Even if ATL plays decent tonight, I would think their wk 1 disaster would be enough for someone like you to remove them already, regardless of how they play tonight.

But hold the the press, the Texans got a W without scoring 50 points.. let's go ahead and remove them from this imaginary list of elite offenses!!!

You'd think with the numerous failures we have endured throughout Kubiak's regime, people would be a little less likely to chug the kool-aid, but it appears people are every bit as ready to bring out their excuses for Gary and his boys.

I'm ready to see this team take the next step. It looked like we had last week, even though we still let off the gas in the second half which I despise, but this week was "meh". I'm ready for us to look like a superstar team. People compared us earlier in the season to the Saints in their Super Bowl season. Just stop it. This Texans offense can't even sniff the jock straps of that Super Bowl Saints offense.

If we are to do anything this year, our defense is going to have to be better than average; in fact, they will need to be unstoppable.

You are being way too harsh on them.

That superbowl Saints team had some ugly wins too. You don't win all of them by dominating even when you are clearly the better team, it could be the other team's day.

I'm sure the Ravens and Chargers both "Elite" teams are jealous of our record. Ravens should have smashed the Titans today and that didn't happen. It doesn't mean the Ravens defense isn't good or that they are not a good team. It happens, teams have a bad day and it happens. But when your team can play bad and they still win? That's a sign of a good team.

Odd, most people were saying that if Wade could just get D in top half, we would be playoff bound. You think they have to be perfect?

Ah, these Negative Nellies like Ckw.

This is pretty much a game I was expecting.

The Dolphins despite their issues ARE A PHYSICAL team. They punched the Texans in the mouth pretty good in the 3rd quarter on both sides of the line.

What matters is how the Texans RESPONDED. They regained control with a 5 play drive to salt the game away.

As I've said, the other team is paid to fight back. I'm glad the Texans pretty much throttled Henne and kept the Dolphins offense in check despite their 100 yards on the ground.

Isn't this better than some shoot out like the one New England had to win last week vs the same team? Those pretty, high flying pass happy offenses will slow down some as the season goes on.

Do you think Detroit's flashy but still unproven offense will always look good in every environment? (They've got some games up in Green Bay, Denver and Chicago later in the season.)

The Texans have balance. That ability to run the ball is HUGE. It controlled the game when the momentum seemed to swing back to the Fins. Yet, Schaub and AJ will get theirs when needed. The defense makes BIG plays when they are needed, a habit going back to preseason.

All the whining, yet Matt Schaub had a 118 rating and two TD passes, no picks. Ben Tate had 100 plus running yards. Andre Johnson with 93 yards receiving and a TD. The defense got two turnovers.

A good quality, if not perfect, 23-13 victory.

But panic city with some "fans" who can't believe that the Texans didn't dominate every single snap and minute! The Texans aren't worthy, I suppose, because Schaub didn't have 400 yards passing and the offense didn't put up 40 points versus Miami today. Boo hoo.

The Miami Dolphins may not be elite but they're not quite chumps.

The Dolphins despite their issues ARE A PHYSICAL team. They punched the Texans in the mouth pretty good in the 3rd quarter on both sides of the line.

What matters is how the Texans RESPONDED. They regained control with a 5 play drive to salt the game away.

As I've said, the other team is paid to fight back. I'm glad the Texans pretty much throttled Henne and kept the Dolphins offense in check despite their 100 yards on the ground.

Isn't this better than some shoot out like the one New England had to win last week vs the same team? Those pretty, high flying pass happy offenses will slow down some as the season goes on.

Do you think Detroit's flashy but still unproven offense will always look good in every environment? (They've got some games up in Green Bay, Denver and Chicago later in the season.)

The Texans have balance. The defense makes BIG plays when they are needed, a habit going back to preseason.

All the whining, yet Matt Schaub had a 118 rating and two TD passes, no picks. Ben Tate had 100 plus running yards. Andre Johnson with 93 yards receiving and a TD. The defense got two turnovers.

But panic city with some "fans" who can't believe that the Texans didn't dominate every single snap and minute! The Texans aren't worthy, I suppose, because Schaub didn't have 400 yards passing and the offense didn't put up 40 points versus Miami today. Boo hoo.

great post

The Texans have balance. That ability to run the ball is HUGE. It controlled the game when the momentum seemed to swing back to the Fins. Yet, Schaub and AJ will get theirs when needed. The defense makes BIG plays when they are needed, a habit going back to preseason.

REPPP :smiliedance:

Agreed

I predicted on another forum that the Texans would win by 10.

Dolphins are not a bad team. Seems like some put too much stock in one game last week. Also that this game is all about match-ups. Could be the Pats just matched up much better against the Dolphins than we did considering they can run the no huddle and have great slot guys.

I'm actually happy we won in a way that's not "traditionally Texans".

Won without the offense looking very good. We have to win in different ways in order to be successful.

All good stuff. This is a game that in the past could have slipped away from us.

It wasn't pretty in several areas but a win on the road when the team is misfiring a bit is a great thing.

Odd, most people were saying that if Wade could just get D in top half, we would be playoff bound. You think they have to be perfect?

Only if our offense continues to look like it has, but more specifically our passing offense. Schaub has not looked very good, our pass protection has been horrendous, so I am a bit concerned.

I am not saying our team is screwed. I am simply making the case that if our defense is only going to be a top half, average defense, then our offense is going to have to play better than it did today especially against the top tier opponents.

If our offense plays like it did today against a top tier team, we would get destroyed. That's all I'm saying. Either the defense needs to be better than it has even been and the offense can get by being average some games and great others, or our offense needs to be consistently great and our defense average. If all we have is an above average (sometimes great) offense and an average defense, we won't be a contender.

What I saw today was a defense that looks like it has the POTENTIAL to be a great defense. But we won't know for sure until we play a team better than the Colts or Dolphins. Our offense, especially our passing offense, has looked pretty pedestrian.

I've been a "fan" (I love the way you put that into quotations) for long enough to know that this team can rip your heart out faster than you premature *I won't go there*.

I've been enough of a homer in the past to last me a lifetime. I'm happy with the win, but I want to see more. I'm not going to fall for this crap anymore. My eyes don't lie and when I see some of the same crap happening this year that has happened to us the last few years (a team that still can't put together 4 full quarters of quality football) then I am going to complain about it.

Yes, there are going to be bad games. Even elite teams have some bad games. The Patriots went 18-0 but had a bad game in the game that mattered the most. It happens.

I'm not upset about us having a bad game. What bothers me is this is a team that is notorious for being incapable of playing 4 straight quarters of good quality football. So far this season, I still have not seen us do that.

Carry on with your celebration.

All good stuff. This is a game that in the past could have slipped away from us.

It wasn't pretty in several areas but a win on the road when the team is misfiring a bit is a great thing.

By the way, we have said that exact same thing in years before. It cracks me up the way we throw out that line of "This is a game that in the past could have slipped away from us." For two seasons, we've had games that "could have slipped away from us" that we won.

Exhibit A: Washington Redskins in 2010
Exhibit B: Kansas City Chiefs in 2010
Exhibit C: @ Tennessee Titans in 2009

All those games were early in the season, I was here on the message board for all of them, and the same bull **** you are spewing was being said back then too. "This team is changed!!" "Even though we played like crap for much of the game, this is a different team!" "This was a game that would have slipped away from us last year!"

You know what else those games have in common? They were all played by a team that didn't make it to the playoffs.

But what do I know? I'm just a Negative Nellie!

By the way, we have said that exact same thing in years before. It cracks me up the way we throw out that line of "This is a game that in the past could have slipped away from us." For two seasons, we've had games that "could have slipped away from us" that we won.

All those games were early in the season, I was here on the message board for all of them, and the same bull **** you are spewing was being said back then too. "This team is changed!!" "Even though we played like crap for much of the game, this is a different team!" "This was a game that would have slipped away from us last year!"

You know what else those games have in common? They were all played by a team that didn't make it to the playoffs.

The Redskins and Chiefs game are bad examples. Both were shootout type of games where the pass defense was terrible. The defense didn't do much to help win us those games like it did this game.

That's why we say that... Those games we had a terrible defense and had to rely on our offense to bring us back and steal the win... they also came down to the wire... Those games do not compare to this one... We won it with our defense and the offense made enough plays, but the defense sealed it. How often do you see the Texans kneel out the clock on the road at the opponents goaline... up 10 :kitten: So essentially this is a "different" team in that regard.

The Redskins and Chiefs game are bad examples. Both were shootout type of games where the pass defense was terrible. The defense didn't do much to help win us those games like it did this game.

I'm aware. I am very encouraged by the defense. That doesn't change the FACT that this is a team that can't play 4 consistent quarters of football. We won't be a contender until we can do that at least occasionally. I don't expect it every week but when the team is incapable of it, I just can't see how you can consider that a good football team.

Just my opinion.

That's why we say that... Those games we had a terrible defense and had to rely on our offense to bring us back and steal the win... they also came down to the wire... Those games do not compare to this one... We won it with our defense and the offense made enough plays, but the defense sealed it. How often do you see the Texans kneel out the clock on the road at the opponents goaline... up 10 :kitten: So essentially this is a "different" team in that regard.

Hopefully a whole lot more.

I'm aware. I am very encouraged by the defense. That doesn't change the FACT that this is a team that can't play 4 consistent quarters of football. We won't be a contender until we can do that at least occasionally. I don't expect it every week but when the team is incapable of it, I just can't see how you can consider that a good football team.

Just my opinion.

I just thought the team played well. Got a tough road win. Won a game we should. Last year this wasn't happening. How many games did we lose that we thought we should have won?

I think we played 4 qtrs of football, the 3rd we struggled some but it happens. To me playing 4 qtrs is more about effort, not going out and playing 4 'Great' qtrs because obviously things are going to go wrong.

I never felt like they were dogging it out there or that they stepped off the gas. Just that the momentum changed. To me a good football team wins and it not like the Texans were lucky to win this one. They slipped up some but when push came to shove showed up to win the game.

I've been a "fan" (I love the way you put that into quotations) for long enough to know that this team can rip your heart out faster than you premature *I won't go there*.

I've been enough of a homer in the past to last me a lifetime. I'm happy with the win, but I want to see more. I'm not going to fall for this crap anymore. My eyes don't lie and when I see some of the same crap happening this year that has happened to us the last few years (a team that still can't put together 4 full quarters of quality football) then I am going to complain about it.

Yes, there are going to be bad games. Even elite teams have some bad games. The Patriots went 18-0 but had a bad game in the game that mattered the most. It happens.

I'm not upset about us having a bad game. What bothers me is this is a team that is notorious for being incapable of playing 4 straight quarters of good quality football. So far this season, I still have not seen us do that.

Carry on with your celebration.

I agree with your sentiments 100% CKW. Some fans (maybe most of them) have moved on from the season we had last year and that's good for them. But I won't forget the season we had last year. It's going to take a while for me to forget the failures of astronomical proportions we experienced. That's why me, you, and I'm sure other fans have trepidation about this team. The defense HAS improved and I'm satisfied with the way they've played. We're 2-0 and I'm excited about that too. But like Ckw said there are aspects of both this game and the Colts game that worries me. The defensive lull in the 3rd quarter where the Phins were doing whatever they wanted is a concern. The offense I feel is still not running on full cylinders and I think the uncertainty with Foster's situation hasn't helped. I see other offenses like the Packers, Patriots, and the Saints and they are clicking on all cylinders offensively. I think Schaub needs to step up his game (specially the next 2 games) and the o-line has to to play a LOT better protecting Schaub.

Only if our offense continues to look like it has, but more specifically our passing offense. Schaub has not looked very good, our pass protection has been horrendous, so I am a bit concerned.

I am not saying our team is screwed. I am simply making the case that if our defense is only going to be a top half, average defense, then our offense is going to have to play better than it did today especially against the top tier opponents.

If our offense plays like it did today against a top tier team, we would get destroyed. That's all I'm saying. Either the defense needs to be better than it has even been and the offense can get by being average some games and great others, or our offense needs to be consistently great and our defense average. If all we have is an above average (sometimes great) offense and an average defense, we won't be a contender.

What I saw today was a defense that looks like it has the POTENTIAL to be a great defense. But we won't know for sure until we play a team better than the Colts or Dolphins. Our offense, especially our passing offense, has looked pretty pedestrian.
Thanks for clarifying & I can accept this view much easier.

I agree with your sentiments 100% CKW. Some fans (maybe most of them) have moved on from the season we had last year and that's good for them. But I won't forget the season we had last year. It's going to take a while for me to forget the failures of astronomical proportions we experienced. That's why me, you, and I'm sure other fans have trepidation about this team. The defense HAS improved and I'm satisfied with the way they've played. We're 2-0 and I'm excited about that too. But like Ckw said there are aspects of both this game and the Colts game that worries me. The defensive lull in the 3rd quarter where the Phins were doing whatever they wanted is a concern. The offense I feel is still not running on full cylinders and I think the uncertainty with Foster's situation hasn't helped. I see other offenses like the Packers, Patriots, and the Saints and they are clicking on all cylinders offensively. I think Schaub needs to step up his game (specially the next 2 games) and the o-line has to to play a LOT better protecting Schaub.

Great post man and I agree 100%. Rep your way.

I just find it laughable that you already removed the Texans, based off of today's performance. Even if ATL plays decent tonight, I would think their wk 1 disaster would be enough for someone like you to remove them already, regardless of how they play tonight.

But hold the the press, the Texans got a W without scoring 50 points.. let's go ahead and remove them from this imaginary list of elite offenses!!!

Atlanta's not looking too bad right now against that Eagles D.

Atlanta's not looking too bad right now against that Eagles D.

Well they too have struggled with pass protection, Ryan has thrown a pick, and have had some 3 and out's.. They've been scoring TD's but there D has helped them out alot too...

Sounds like a lot of the same things that you are knocking Houston off your elite offense list, but whatever.. it's your list man

Back