Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pray we get Meco but Kafka is a good 2nd or 3rd child. I think Meco would delegate OC and DC positions. I'm ok with that. Meanwhile, Kafka being an offensive coach is what I feel we need. Meco is smart and knows that he is better coaching D. Maybe like I heard on a podcast- Meco as HC/D and we bring in a guy like Kubiak to run the offense and be an advisor to Meco for a couple years. Allowing Meco to get better at the offensive side of the ball. I think Kubiak would be happy to be in that role as well. The guys on 610 also mentioned this situation if Meco is selected as HC
I just hope if Meco is the HC, he hires Kubiak as a consultant and let's Kubiak pick the QB.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Nick didn't hire Culley. Nick has yet to make his first HC hire anywhere ever.
What exactly has Nick done here? He’s shown up at every presser promoting these guys. When is he liable for supporting this nonsense?

This is why this organization needs a strong leader like Payton. Maybe not Payton. But an alpha.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No to Warhop if Demeco is the HC. Demeco will most likely want to have a WCO/ZBS offense. I would think Benton would be a likely hire.
This is the problem with frequently hiring HCs & not keeping the assistants. A football team shouldn’t be changing its philosophy with every new coach, or with every new coordinator.

That’s why I like the way the Steelers have done it. Change the guy at top & as little as possible below.

Most teams don’t do it that way. Most teams rebuild for a decade or more (from winning to winning).

I wouldn’t necessarily force coaches on the new guy, but I’d want to keep with the philosophy we started with, so I’m not in a situation where I have to cut losses on players we recently drafted, & I’d ask him to seriously consider the coaches we like that are in place.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I wouldn’t necessarily force coaches on the new guy, but I’d want to keep with the philosophy we started with, so I’m not in a situation where I have to cut losses on players we recently drafted, & I’d ask him to seriously consider the coaches we like that are in place.
You'd have to actually have a philosophy, that part has been eluding the Texans since 2002

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This is the problem with frequently hiring HCs & not keeping the assistants. A football team shouldn’t be changing its philosophy with every new coach, or with every new coordinator.

That’s why I like the way the Steelers have done it. Change the guy at top & as little as possible below.

Most teams don’t do it that way. Most teams rebuild for a decade or more (from winning to winning).

You can have a philosophy, but if you can't acquire the players that fit it, you may or should be good enough adjust it to fit the players you have.
For example, I doubt the Texans knew in advance Arian Foster or JJ Watt would be as good as they were so they adjusted their philosophy to suit and enjoyed some moderate success.
It's about adjustment and not trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Absolutely a better org and better team which is why I like him here. I think he can be the HC to turn it around, a real leader, we need it in the worst way.
Yep. This might be the perfect storm of events because the Texans are in desperate need of a true leader and overhaul of their operations. I think the owners are finally understanding this and could be very receptive to it, as well.

I watched Demeco's press conference recently he had me ready to run through a wall. lol I can only imagine how players respond to him.

Texansballer74

The Marine
With a new HC who appeared to be a dink and dunk passing game. I can see why any QB would regess. Again, Mills is not Brady or Manning, but he also could be much better with a better OC. If they for some reason keep Pep, they better only have him working with QBs. I think that's the only reason why Mills went backwards. I could be wrong but what he did in the last game seemed like it was Lovie telling him to play loose and that the game plan was designed by someone NOT named Pep. Seeing it looked totally different from what we had seen to that game this season
Are you really using the dink and donk excuse for the reason why Mills regressed? Wow the lows around here is getting out of hand. Bump holding Mills accountable for his poor play. It was all coaching

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Bravo. I've been saying this for years. Instead of trying to mimic the Patriots or spending time with Jerry and Kraft, the McNairs should have spent more time with the Rooneys. Just think if after finding some success under Kubiak, if the McNairs had a vision or philosophy that the Texans will run the Shanny/Kubiak offense and a 3-4 defense. Hire HCs who have experience running that system and fits that philosophy.

Considering all of the success of that coaching tree. If they had followed that philosophy, would they be worse off than they are now?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Don’t understand how, this organization can have any pre-conditions that could limit a potential top tier head coaching candidate. Isn’t that why they’re in current situation? Enough. Clean state. Give the future, head coach all the resources he needs to elevate Texan organization back into relevance.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Are you really using the dink and donk excuse for the reason why Mills regressed? Wow the lows around here is getting out of hand. Bump holding Mills accountable for his poor play. It was all coaching
Didn't say that or that he didn't regess. Only that I am fairly sure that the staff wasn't helping him

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Yep. This might be the perfect storm of events because the Texans are in desperate need of a true leader and overhaul of their operations. I think the owners are finally understanding this and could be very receptive to it, as well.

I watched Demeco's press conference recently he had me ready to run through a wall. lol I can only imagine how players respond to him.
Can you link it here? I'm sick of Brazzers

mussop

Hall of Fame
Don’t understand how, this organization can have any pre-conditions that could limit a potential top tier head coaching candidate. Isn’t that why they’re in current situation? Enough. Clean state. Give the future, head coach all the resources he needs to elevate Texan organization back into relevance.
This can’t be true. I refuse to believe they are that stupid.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He’s very error prone. I’m a UH grad and I’m glad he’s gone
He has improved every year.
4 to 1 TD to INT ratio last year.

I didn't think much of him as a Freshman or Sophomore, but he changed my mind.

I think he's at least a fifth round pick.

We'll know more about him in the upcoming days.

This draft has many guys in the middle rounds.

If you want one to develop, I think Tune is a good prospect.
I like him better than Yates and Savage.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You do what your bosses want you to do. On this case hire a minority to try and placate Derrick was the mandate from ownership.
No, you don't necessarily have to do what your boss want.
When I had a business, I had hired a manager.
And I valued his opinion greatly.
When he said something that makes good sense, I can change my view.
I don't need a manager to do exactly as I said. That would be my secretary. And even at that level, I would be open in such employee shows some initiative.

I like to empower my employees.
I even encourage them to get more schooling or to go back to school.

When I think an employee may have a better chance with a bigger employer because I think they deserve it, I would encourage them to go for interviews.

I want people to get better.

I don't need a manager to just do what I say or want.
I could have promoted my secretary for that.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Pep isn't interested in other OC positions. His son is a sophomore in high school. and already has offers from Texas A&M and another school, so I don't think Pep wants to go anywhere. I think he'd rather be fired, and paid, than take a job somewhere else, and have to move his family.
Texans could always move Pep back to what he does best…..QB Coach. This clears a path for the HC Atomics bring in his OC. I don’t think many folks would argue about Pep’s ability to coach up QB’s.