Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

I don’t see how. Both Steichen and Gannon should still be in play. Steichen’s offense looked awesome, and Gannon did a hell of a job in that divisional round win. It should be down to them and Demeco. I honestly think that a lot of people in here will bash the Texans no matter who they go with because the home team still has a lot of holes in this roster to fill. Will take at least two seasons to look like a contender.
I listen to 610 sporadically during the day, they keep saying Ryans at the top with Kafka in the top 3. I never hear Gannon's name mentioned much anymore. I like Ryans and Gannon, wish we could have both.

I'm a no on Kafka, as well as Brown and Evero. Those guys aren't ready, and I don't see Kafka as a leader type. I also agree with Lucky on the booth vs. on-field. Lastly, he wasn't "the dude". Whether In KC or in NY he wasn't the guy. The HC has overshadowed him and it's not clear to me how much credit he deserves vs. the HC he worked for.

Worth doing some DD on and I'm ok with the interview process, but Kafka is a hard pass for me and I believe it would be a mistake to hire him.

I'm down to 2 guys, and it's really two guys only. I've eliminated everyone else. I'm a hard pass at this point on Payton too. Out of my elimination pool, the only guy I can live with is Gannon. I'm a hard pass on anyone else. But it's Ryans for me as clear-cut #1, and Steichen I could really get behind as well...but only if Ryans passes on the job. All others need not apply.
That's my 3 as well, Gannon, Ryans and Steichen.
Just worried we'll wake up one morning and they'll all be signed by other teams.

Last edited:
No, you don't necessarily have to do what your boss want.
When I had a business, I had hired a manager.
And I valued his opinion greatly.
When he said something that makes good sense, I can change my view.
I don't need a manager to do exactly as I said. That would be my secretary. And even at that level, I would be open in such employee shows some initiative.

I like to empower my employees.
I even encourage them to get more schooling or to go back to school.

When I think an employee may have a better chance with a bigger employer because I think they deserve it, I would encourage them to go for interviews.

I want people to get better.

I don't need a manager to just do what I say or want.
I could have promoted my secretary for that.
But at the end of the day you have the final say. The manager can give you the best advice in the world, but you have to take it. I may give pushback as a manager, but I am not going to browbeat the owner of my company into taking my advice, not if I want to keep my job.

For those excited about Gannon because of his rumored staff, Zimmer is joining Prime in Colorado and Reich is likely to be the HC in Carolina.

What else you Gannon huggers got?
From what I hear, Gannon is an excellent listener to his players and can adapt quickly, communicates well, and so his guys play hard for him. He gets this is a team game, took some hits on his defense year 1 to help the offense so his ego and confidence are ok. Technically and analytically very good at football. So good leadership, good relationship with players, and he has a strong network he can pull from because of his many stops. I am fine with Ryans, Gannon, Shane and Kafka I still have leadership/"it factor" doubts. I don't think you can straight out hire a guy because of staff because they will change

I just want a leader. This offensive/defensive coach thing is a pendulum. Leadership is what counts. Does anyone even remember what side of the ball Jimmy Johnson came from?
Well if you are drafting a new QB, a HC who has actually played the position, and who as a coach has had success in turning a QB around, that would be my preference regardless of what side of the ball Jimmy Johnson came from. (Johnson was a defensive coach) Johnson hired the best coaches he could find and stayed away from the family and friends of coaches.

That has to be coming from Stanford bigwig Condoleezza Rice.

I'm more excited about Gannon with those two out of the way.

It is coming from Rice..RE Shaw. The article I linked mentions that specifically, and apparently, Ms. Rice is pretty influential in Denver.

I tend to agree with you regarding Gannon, especially Zimmer. But I was referring to a few folks that were sniffing his jock because of the speculation of his OC/DC. Now that Zimmer is out totally, and Reich is likely out...just wondering if that impacts their personal HC preferences in any way.

It is coming from Rice..RE Shaw. The article I linked mentions that specifically, and apparently, Ms. Rice is pretty influential in Denver.

I tend to agree with you regarding Gannon, especially Zimmer. But I was referring to a few folks that were sniffing his jock because of the speculation of his OC/DC. Now that Zimmer is out totally, and Reich is likely out...just wondering if that impacts their personal HC preferences in any way.
I think a lot of the pro-Gannon fervor comes from him being considered the Caserio guy. I don't care one way or the other if Gannon is. He seems to be a legit candidate. And I'm happy that if he does become the HC, he won't bring Reich and Zimmer with him.

Reich and Zimmer were negatives for me. If he does become HC, I hope he brings Brian Johnson as OC

Lil Shan endorses....
....Ryans' candidacy likely means he will be moving on from coach Kyle Shanahan's staff at the end of the 49ers' post-season run. And Shanahan has always been fond of Ryans' leadership since his rookie season as a linebacker with the Texans.

"He’s the ideal leader, whatever he does," Shanahan said. "He was that way when he came into Houston as a rookie linebacker. He took over that defense right away.
"You could tell he was in charge when he was a 21-year-old rookie. He came in here as a quality control [coach], and within like six months, we moved him to linebacker coach."

Shanahan joked that he is hoping Ryans is "not a head coach" come next season in an attempt to keep the former All-Pro linebacker on his coaching staff.
Since taking over as the team's defensive coordinator in 2021, Ryans has elevated the 49ers into one of the best defensive teams in the league. Since his hiring, San Francisco has held its opponents to an average of 18.9 points.

A source told Texans Daily that Houston's interview with Ryans on Friday was "lengthy and very positive."
"He’s just always been that guy," Shanahan said. "He sees how to play an offense. He pays attention to offense and defense. I thought he was ready last year to be a head coach."....

Sports Illustrated

There is a good chance Texans fortunes turn a lot for the better next season if we do score some good coaching. We lost several games by 1 score or less this season and were competitive in more, so with an injection of talent on and off the field we could win 9-10 games. The point is, if that happens, then teams might be targeting our OC and/or DC!

Reich and Zimmer were negatives for me. If he does become HC, I hope he brings Brian Johnson as OC
I think the speculation over whom a guy is bringing in as coaches is often pointless. Sure, it could be a guy he has worked with before. Or, it could be a guy that he has coached against and respects his work. It's more difficult to determine than people make it out to be.

There is a good chance Texans fortunes turn a lot for the better next season if we do score some good coaching. We lost several games by 1 score or less this season and were competitive in more, so with an injection of talent on and off the field we could win 9-10 games. The point is, if that happens, then teams might be targeting our OC and/or DC!
That's still a lot of pie in your sky. I think it will be more how they play that will be the litmus test. More of "You'll know it when you see it" kind of thing.

Going to have to wait til sometime next week. Assuming that the broncos dont say f-it and offer Demeco(or gannon/steichen) the job before then. I dont know what type of communication teams can have with a candidate(thats still in the playoffs) which does not qualify as an “interview”.

alternatively, Texans could decide that Kafka is the guy and they dont need to interview the others.

Cal and Nick better stop F’n around or the coach they want might not be there. Hire a darn coach already
They cant hire Demeco/Gannon/Steichen until after they exit the playoffs/SB.

They could go ahead and hire Kalfka, which I'm totally on board with, or Payton.

Can someone who knows more illuminate why it seems Philly fans hate Gannon?

I haven't paid much attention to either him or Steichen. They seem like create-a-coordinators to me, tbh. I could be off base.

Back