Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

No, you don't necessarily have to do what your boss want.
When I had a business, I had hired a manager.
And I valued his opinion greatly.
When he said something that makes good sense, I can change my view.
I don't need a manager to do exactly as I said. That would be my secretary. And even at that level, I would be open in such employee shows some initiative.

I like to empower my employees.
I even encourage them to get more schooling or to go back to school.

When I think an employee may have a better chance with a bigger employer because I think they deserve it, I would encourage them to go for interviews.

I want people to get better.

I don't need a manager to just do what I say or want.
I could have promoted my secretary for that.
Very admirable. But I suspect that your business was not your "toy."

Texans could always move Pep back to what he does best…..QB Coach. This clears a path for the HC Atomics bring in his OC. I don’t think many folks would argue about Pep’s ability to coach up QB’s.

Once again for the gallery, the QBs Pep Hamilton has worked with since 2010:

2021-2022 - Davis Mills
2020 - Herbert, 6th overall
2020 - Tyree Jackson and Cardale Jones (XFL). Tyree has never played an NFL snap as a QB and Jones has played 19 career snaps.
2018 - Shea Patterson - Michigan, undrafted and never made an NFL roster.
2017 - John O'Korn and Brandon Peters - Michigan, both undrafted and never made a roster.
2016 - Cody Kessler - Browns (his rookie season), 3rd rounder who's career lasted 3 seasons with 12 starts.
2013-2015 - Andrew Luck - Indy, overall #1.
2012 - Josh Nunes (retired from a weight lifting accident) and Kevin Hogan - Stanford, 1 career start.
And of course, 2010-2011 - Andrew Luck again at Stanford.

I don’t know why people think this guy is some QB whisperer.

I am with the folks saying Pep is just waiting for his pink slip and will then stay put in Houston and rake in the dough for now while mentoring a QB he truly cares about - his son. Apparently his son is a well regarded HS aged kid. Pep is a good guy and while I don’t want him on staff, he could work with the coaching staff at his sons HS on a voluntary basis, to coach up his son and possibly helping coach up the other kids too.

McNair’s, coaching, and +-75% talent. I went ahead and gave you 3 common denominators b/c I see all 3 on equal footing.

What’s your common denominator?
Caserio has been here for all two years of the dumpster fire and clown show. Why is he not part of the conversation? As HCs Culley and Lovie were not.

Caserio has been here for all two years of the dumpster fire and clown show. Why is he not part of the conversation? As HCs Culley and Lovie were not.
So you don't take into consideration he inherited the worst dumpster fire in the NFL and that it is going to take a few seasons to rebuild from there?
And also consider he had scrawny resources to work with but has now rebuilt that?
You're a hard man to please.

So you don't take into consideration he inherited the worst dumpster fire in the NFL and that it is going to take a few seasons to rebuild from there?
And also consider he had scrawny resources to work with but has now rebuilt that?
Here is a list of everything I have taken into consideration over the last 2 years.

Caserio FUBARS Extraordinaire:

1/7 - Texans hire Nick Caserio.
Jan thru Apr Caserio refuses to take calls from any teams about Deshaun Watson
1/27 - Caserio hires David Culley, Texans had first job opening, last to hire. Caserio's first hire is the worst HC hire in 2021.
3/2 - Resigns David Johnson to a $6MM contract

3/11 - Caserio restructures Cooks contract. borrows $2.5MM from 2022, 2023, 2024 ($7.5MM). Restructure also cancels last year of contract. Cooks contract now expires after 2022 season.

3/14 - Caserio trades draft picks for Marcus Cannon who was going to be cut. Pays him $6MM when he could have signed as FA for a little more than vet minimum.

3/20 -Caserio restructures Tunsil contract. By borrowing $10MM from future caps ($5MM 2022; $5MM 2023)

3/22 - Caserio trades for Shaq Lawson restructures contract, then trades Lawson to Jets, creates $1.8MM in Dead Cap.

3/23 - Caserio trades draft pick for Ryan Izzo. 8/31 Caserio cuts Izzo.
Caserio trades draft pick for Ryan Finley. 5/24 - Caserio cuts Finley

3/20/22 - Caserio trades Watson to Browns. Insisted he would have to have (3) 1st RD picks, (1) 2nd RD pick and (1) 3rd RD pick, plus players. Got (3) 1s, no 2s, (1) 3 and (2) 4s.

3/24 - Caserio restructures Mercilus contract. 10/19 - Caserio cuts Mercilus creating $7MM dead cap in 2022

3/30 - Caserio restructures Cunningham 4 year contract.Borrows $5.6MM from 2022, 2023, 2024. 12/8 Caserio cuts Cunningham

4/29 - NFL Draft. Caserio uses (8) 2021 draft picks and (2) 2022 draft picks to draft (5) players.

7/26 - Caserio trades for Anthony Miller. 10/6 - Caserio cuts Miller

9/9 - Caserio trades Roby to Saints, restructuring contract to eat $8.9MM in salary ($4.8MM in 2022). Value of 2nd rd pick, only gets a 3rd rd pick.

Nick Caserio has created over $37MM in 2021 dead cap money. Then Caserio had to restructure (5) contracts to create over $35MM in order to sign a bunch of over 30 year olds to 1 year contracts in order to fill the roster.

In 2021 Caserio created over $15MM in dead cap in 2022. Additionally reduced the 2022 salary cap by another $10MM+ from restructuring. Caserio responsible for creating $77MM in dead cap in 2022.

Texans only had 27 players under contract in 2022, that's 10 players less than the avg team.

3/14/2022 - Caserio restructures Laremy Tunsil contract again creating over $13MM in 2023 dead cap and a 2023 cap hit of 15% of the salary cap.

9/20/2022 - Caserio restructures Cooks contract, adding back 1 year to the contract they cut the previous year. Creates a 2023 cap hit of over $26MM, over 11% of the total cap and dead money cap hit of $34MM in 2023.

Texans started 2021 season with 54 contracts and $6MM OVER the cap.

If the Texans had made the following moves they would've been $48MM UNDER the cap. They would not of had to resort to mortgaging the future to the tune of OVER $35MM in contract restructuring, $37MM in Dead Cap in 2021 and would've added a 2nd rd draft pick.
B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m
THIS IS WHY THE HOUSTON TEXANS ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL AND WHY MANY PERSPECTIVE HC CANDIDATES HAVE NO INTENTION OF COMING TO HOUSTON AND WHY SEAN PAYTON OPENLY MOCKED THE TEXANS FRONT OFFICE DYSFUNCTION.

THE BOTTOMLINE HERE IS NICK CASERIO INHERITED A BAD SITUATION AND MADE IT MUCH WORSE.

STAY TUNED.......DEVELOPING.......

Last edited:
He has improved every year.
4 to 1 TD to INT ratio last year.

I didn't think much of him as a Freshman or Sophomore, but he changed my mind.

I think he's at least a fifth round pick.

We'll know more about him in the upcoming days.

This draft has many guys in the middle rounds.

If you want one to develop, I think Tune is a good prospect.
I like him better than Yates and Savage.
Pass, he’s not that good. I’m a big U of H fan. Kevin has that basketball team balling. That loss to Temple dropped them to 3.

.....b/c folks who aren't pushing your narrative have chosen to look at the entire picture. You're taking this shite far too personal. Caserio is the GM....you're an armchair GM who just fell in love with your personal ideas as to how he should've handled the business of getting this organization out of the shite-hole OB left it in.

Worth mentioning, the fact that he's done this in 2 seasons with the albatross known as Cal making some big decisions along the way…..has been quite impressive.

Caserio has plenty of draft capital, cap money, and a small but decent core of players. He'll soon add a top young HC and his staff...provided Call keeps his McNugget greased lips out of the business.

Last edited:
Here is a list of everything I have taken into consideration over the last 2 years.

1/27 - Caserio hires David Culley, Texans had first job opening, last to hire. Caserio's first hire is the worst HC hire in 2021.

3/11 - Caserio restructures Cooks contract. borrows $2.5MM from 2022, 2023, 2024 ($7.5MM). Restructure also cancels last year of contract. Cooks contract now expires after 2022 season.

3/14 - Caserio trades draft picks for Marcus Cannon who was going to be cut. Pays him $6MM when he could have signed as FA for a little more than vet minimum.

3/20 -Caserio restructures Tunsil contract. By borrowing $10MM from future caps ($5MM 2022; $5MM 2023)

3/22 - Caserio trades for Shaq Lawson restructures contract, then trades Lawson to Jets, creates $1.8MM in Dead Cap.

3/20/22 - Caserio trades Watson to Browns. Insisted he would have to have (3) 1st RD picks, (1) 2nd RD pick and (1) 3rd RD pick, plus players. Got (3) 1s, no 2s, (1) 3 and (2) 4s.

3/24 - Caserio restructures Mercilus contract. 10/19 - Caserio cuts Mercilus creating $7MM dead cap in 2022

3/30 - Caserio restructures Cunningham 4 year contract.Borrows $5.6MM from 2022, 2023, 2024. 12/8 Caserio cuts Cunningham

4/29 - NFL Draft. Caserio uses (8) 2021 draft picks and (2) 2022 draft picks to draft (5) players.

9/9 - Caserio trades Roby to Saints, restructuring contract to eat $8.9MM in salary ($4.8MM in 2022). Value of 2nd rd pick, only gets a 3rd rd pick.

Nick Caserio has created over $37MM in 2021 dead cap money. Then Caserio had to restructure (5) contracts to create over $35MM in order to sign a bunch of over 30 year olds to 1 year contracts in order to fill the roster.

In 2021 Caserio created over $15MM in dead cap in 2022. Additionally reduced the 2022 salary cap by another $10MM+ from restructuring. Caserio responsible for creating $77MM in dead cap in 2022.

Texans only had 27 players under contract in 2022, that's 10 players less than the avg team.

3/14/2022 - Caserio restructures Laremy Tunsil contract again creating over $13MM in 2023 dead cap and a 2023 cap hit of 15% of the salary cap.

9/20/2022 - Caserio restructures Cooks contract, adding back 1 year to the contract they cut the previous year. Creates a 2023 cap hit of over $26MM, over 11% of the total cap and dead money cap hit of $34MM in 2023.

If the Texans had made the following moves they would've been $48MM UNDER the cap. They would not of had to resort to mortgaging the future to the tune of OVER $35MM in contract restructuring, $37MM in Dead Cap in 2021 and would've added a 2nd rd draft pick.
B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m
THIS IS WHY THE HOUSTON TEXANS ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL AND WHY MANY PERSPECTIVE HC CANDIDATES HAVE NO INTENTION OF COMING TO HOUSTON AND WHY SEAN PAYTON OPENLY MOCKED THE TEXANS FRONT OFFICE DYSFUNCTION.

THE BOTTOMLINE HERE IS NICK CASERIO INHERITED A BAD SITUATION AND MADE IT MUCH WORSE.

Much worse? :facepalm:
No-one is saying he is perfect, but worse?
For all the negatives, there are plenty of positives.
Why don't you post a list of those?

B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m

One day you will be enshrined into the Monday morning QB Hall of Fame..... First Ballot for sure!

Last edited:
And he has no idea what was in those contracts and why they were restructured and why the player was then released. It's easy to throw darts when you're not in the "know".
Teams trade for fringe players that are soon released all the time when a better option presents itself. What about the borderline players that were signed and are still here?
And he knows that Culley and Lovie were not his choices....he knows ownership under the spell of Easterby made those hires, but it fits his agenda so he throws it out there.
It's a hit and miss occupation. I can't imagine what a baseball game must be like, probably ripping players that have a 400 batting average because they only get on base 4 out of 10 times!

Last edited:
No, you don't necessarily have to do what your boss want.
When I had a business, I had hired a manager.
And I valued his opinion greatly.
When he said something that makes good sense, I can change my view.
I don't need a manager to do exactly as I said. That would be my secretary. And even at that level, I would be open in such employee shows some initiative.

I like to empower my employees.
I even encourage them to get more schooling or to go back to school.

When I think an employee may have a better chance with a bigger employer because I think they deserve it, I would encourage them to go for interviews.

I want people to get better.

I don't need a manager to just do what I say or want.
I could have promoted my secretary for that.
How altruistic of you.

Bottom line is you made the final call after taking your employees input. Then the employees carried out your vision? If they didn't carry out your vision I suspect you found new employees?

The 7th most cap space in the NFL and the ability to create 30-35 more if needed. Plus 11 draft picks and an even more in 2024. Caserio sucks and is fiscally irresponsible as a GM. LMAO

Texian, I get Kafka's offensive chops and QB development and would love him as OC, but what do you see in the way he talks and acts that make him look like a leader of men?
I don't have a big problem with any of the coordinators being considered for HC. But I would like to see them coach their units on the field on gameday, rather than from the booth. Ryans, Gannon, and Steichen coach on the field. Kafka is in the booth. I think that makes a difference to me.
What do I see? He's smart, probably the only candidate who was recruited by Stanford. An honor student. He got his degree in Communication Studies so he knows how to communicate with people;
Ryans was a Academic All-American, an Arther Ashe Sports Scholar, and graduated with a 3.5 GPA.
I wonder how many people here would want Demeco had he played for the Cowboys and not the Texans.
Would he still be a successful coach and leader? Wouldn't change my opinion.
The fact that you put any credence into what she tweets is so you
Wasn't Anderson's reporting spot on about the judge's decision on the length of Watson's suspension and the league's decision to not suspend Watson for the entire year. Like it or not, she got it right. Regardless, I don't see where she is referencing the Texans in this tweet.
Texans could always move Pep back to what he does best…..QB Coach.
Clean house. It's not difficult to find a QB coach, or a special teams coach for that matter.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Gannon has fallen out of favor?

For me personally, he was never "the guy". I want an OC with one clear exception which I've never wavered on from jump, and that's Meco. I've got Ryans as clear #1, and Shane in a solid #2 spot.

It also doesn't help that part of the allure of Gannon around these parts was bringing Frank Reich in as OC. Reich is likely to be HC in Carolina per reports, so yes...in my mind he's a distant 3rd at this point. I'd be "meh" with him. I don't think he's a rock star HC, therefore I'd stick with the OC in Shane...but only after pulling out all the stops to get Meco.

Clean house. It's not difficult to find a QB coach, or a special teams coach for that matter.
I don't have that philosophy for a successful ST coach. ST play is 1/3 of the game. Many tend to overlook the importance of ST and the ST coach. Unlike offense or defense, special teams have the responsibility of creating points, as well as protecting points and field position. And unlike offensive or defensive coaches, special teams’ coordinators are busy interacting with players from both sides of the ball. Their ability to recognize and utilize talent is unparalleled, only rivaled by head coaches. A special teams coordinator is crucial to a team’s overall success.

FootballOutsiders 2022 season ST Rankings

ST play is 1/3 of the game.
There are about 25-30 special teams plays per game. Half of kickoffs and punts are touchbacks and fair catches. As opposed to 65-70 plays each on offense and defense. I would put the total ST plays at less than 20% of any game, and impact ST plays (FGs, PATs, actual returns) at less than 10%. Not anywhere close to 1/3 of the game's importance. If it were, I think the Texans would have won more than 7 games the past 2 seasons.

I'm guessing Gannon has fallen out of favor?
I don’t see how. Both Steichen and Gannon should still be in play. Steichen’s offense looked awesome, and Gannon did a hell of a job in that divisional round win. It should be down to them and Demeco. I honestly think that a lot of people in here will bash the Texans no matter who they go with because the home team still has a lot of holes in this roster to fill. Will take at least two seasons to look like a contender.

DeMeco will be the next coach if Cal bases his decision on fans in the seats (McNair DNA) and if another team does not offer DeMeco a HC job.

I'm starting to hope against Demeco, mainly because I think this franchise will ultimately tarnish his potential and it's only a matter of time before this fan base turns on him and a "Fire Demeco Ryans" thread pops up in his first season.

We don't deserve Demeco and he deserves better than the Houston Texans. JMO.

Don’t understand how, this organization can have any pre-conditions that could limit a potential top tier head coaching candidate. Isn’t that why they’re in current situation? Enough. Clean state. Give the future, head coach all the resources he needs to elevate Texan organization back into relevance.

It's what terrible organizations do throughout NFL history. Dumb owners rarely build championship teams. Blind squirrel theory is all we've got as Texans fans these days.

I'm a no on Kafka, as well as Brown and Evero. Those guys aren't ready, and I don't see Kafka as a leader type. I also agree with Lucky on the booth vs. on-field. Lastly, he wasn't "the dude". Whether In KC or in NY he wasn't the guy. The HC has overshadowed him and it's not clear to me how much credit he deserves vs. the HC he worked for.

Worth doing some DD on and I'm ok with the interview process, but Kafka is a hard pass for me and I believe it would be a mistake to hire him.

I'm down to 2 guys, and it's really two guys only. I've eliminated everyone else. I'm a hard pass at this point on Payton too. Out of my elimination pool, the only guy I can live with is Gannon. I'm a hard pass on anyone else. But it's Ryans for me as clear-cut #1, and Steichen I could really get behind as well...but only if Ryans passes on the job. All others need not apply.

We don't deserve Demeco and he deserves better than the Houston Texans. JMO.
R.a6b9c73e15399858ca2f4360d9908b98

And has yet to hire HIS hand picked HC. Culley and Lovie, according to people like CloakNNNdagger. And he knows more than most.

Not sure why Steichen isn't getting more attention. His results in Philly have been fantastic.
Me either. He is numero uno in my book. How he developed that offense around Hurts and his strengths is more Impressive than any other coordinator available other than Brian Callahan who only got one interview I believe.

give me Steichen and trade back with #2 get extra picks and draft Will Levis or Anthony Richardson And tell him to go to work.

.....b/c folks who aren't pushing your narrative have chosen to look at the entire picture. You're taking this shite far too personal. Caserio is the GM....you're an armchair GM who just fell in love with your personal ideas as to how he should've handled the business of getting this organization out of the shite-hole OB left the organization in. Not to mention, doing this in 2 seasons with the albatross known as Cal making some big decisions along the way.

Caserio has plenty of draft capital, cap money, and a small but decent core of players. He'll soon add a top young HC and his staff...provided Call keeps his McNugget greased lips out of the business.
But I'm not the one who is drinking the Kool Aid.

I don't have a big problem with any of the coordinators being considered for HC. But I would like to see them coach their units on the field on gameday, rather than from the booth. Ryans, Gannon, and Steichen coach on the field. Kafka is in the booth. I think that makes a difference to me.

Ryans was a Academic All-American, an Arther Ashe Sports Scholar, and graduated with a 3.5 GPA.

Would he still be a successful coach and leader? Wouldn't change my opinion.

Wasn't Anderson's reporting spot on about the judge's decision on the length of Watson's suspension and the league's decision to not suspend Watson for the entire year. Like it or not, she got it right. Regardless, I don't see where she is referencing the Texans in this tweet.

If you want a defensive coach he would be a good choice.

Back