Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
No Texans QB has had a line as talented as the one Watson has had the last two years.
I disagree. That line in 2018 with Davenport as LT was awful. The 2019 line was an improvement, but not the best in franchise history. Because that’s what you just said.

The 2015 line was pretty good. 2014. 2013. 2012. 2011. 2010. 2009. I would put these up against 2019 where OB had to make a trade never before seen before. (In full disclosure - I was reluctantly OK with it because Watson is the future and didn’t want him to get Carr’d)

I am not a football expert, but please tell me how those lines were worse than 2018.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If was to do what you are doing then I would have to say Trubisky is more talented than Russell Wilson. Or Arian Foster is less talented than any of the running backs taken before him.
I would agree with both of those examples. However, Wilson & Foster were able to do more with what talent they did have than many more talented guys.

That's life.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
For me this is no longer about BOB. He's history now, this is about finding out if the 160 million dollar man can actually play up to the level he's getting paid.
I guess this is a similar stance you had about Ricky? Once Ricky left, it was no longer about Ricky and it was all about finding out if BOB could coach, calls plays and make personnel decisions without you mentioning Ricky or how much time BOB needed to overcome Ricky's incompetence and you never blamed Ricky for anything after he left. Right? :kitten:

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I would agree with both of those examples. However, Wilson & Foster were able to do more with what talent they did have than many more talented guys.

That's life.
I feel like I am getting into a circular argument that has no end and is more based on opinion and someone else’s speculation.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I feel like I am getting into a circular argument that has no end and is more based on opinion and someone else’s speculation.
Or they were underrated in the first place.
That's life, too.
And there were people who recognized it from the start.
:ahhaha:

There were guys that were overrated, too; on the other hand, just the same.
There's your opinion, then there's the 32 teams that actually draft.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Oftentimes, it's not 32 at a certain position.
A team with a franchise QB wouldn't be looking for one in the first round or two, maybe not even three or four, or at all.

Even teams with a bust at QB often don't do that for a few years or so.

:ahhaha:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That is not what I said. I said most talented. 1st & 2nd round picks. All of them. Except Fulton
And also, we all know that different teams will set their board differently, so in fact, a player deemed to have first round talent by one team is often not regarded as such by another.

Then, there are teams that want their players to be "worthy" so they add some grades to the choir boys.

:corrosion:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
DW4 has the propensity to make some fantastic unbelievable outstanding plays. And occasionally he has a game where he plays lights out. This is what undoubtedly excites the fan base. Unfortunately DW4 overall makes as many bad throws as he does good ones. Until he can reverse this pattern things will not change.
Maybe posters will listen to you

76Texan

Hall of Fame
A good read is here.

The college game can be quite different from the pro game, making the evaluation of Olinemen (offensive tackle in the article) tougher.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Lol. So you think Tannehill and Fitzpatrick are better than Brady. Because you go by the first five games of the season. Ok.

You can have the last word because I am not going to let you suck me in to replying.
I think you're trying to frame a false argument.

I think up until last week DW4 played 9 bad games in a row and any number of QBs were better than him. He had a good, not great game last week against a poor opponent and the jury remains out. Hopefully last week was the begining of a great stretch of football for DW4. I continue to have my doubts though.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Carr didn’t make plays to offset his limitations. He gave us no chance to win.

We’re not winning a game if Watson has a bad day. He has no, & has never had a run game to move the ball & definitely not score the ball. He doesn’t have a top 5 defense to bail him out, score, or win a game with only 47 yards of offense.

Watson ain’t Mahomes, you’re right about that. But he’s not in the same category as Carr.

Stanford, Dalton, maybe. But not Carr.
This isn't about comparing Carr/DW4, this is about having the same discussions as we had with Carr.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I see the draft as requiring 2 boards.

Board 1 / Needs
BPA for teams needs and it should go 4 rounds deep. RD5-RD7 should be BPA from Board 2.

Board 2 / Athletes
BPA are sheer athletes that scouts feel are a can't miss player regardless of position.

Teams are in their war room on draft day and as the draft develops so does their board(s).

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I did not realize how coveted and awe-inspiring so-called division "championships" were for some fans. Only the greatest teams and greatest head coaches win those legendary AFC South banners.

Someone could get the impression that O'Brien won four Super Bowls with the way those division "championships" are bragged about as a sign of O'Brien's greatness. It appears Cal just fired Belichick 2.0.

What was he thinking??? :eek:

:sarcasm:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This isn't about comparing Carr/DW4, this is about having the same discussions as we had with Carr.
My point is as long as DW4 keeps winning he'll get the time to work it out.

David Carr wasn't winning, his time ran out.

I don't understand comparing the two When Watson has been a huge part of why we win. A huge part of why we lose too. But as long as he wins more than he loses, he'll get the time to "figure out" how to overcome his short comings.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I did not realize how coveted and awe-inspiring so-called division "championships" were for some fans. Only the greatest teams and greatest head coaches win those legendary AFC South banners.

Someone could get the impression that O'Brien won four Super Bowls with the way those division "championships" are bragged about as a sign of O'Brien's greatness. It appears Cal just fired Belichick 2.0.

Aw come on now, those division championships are good for nice hats.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

BOB wasn't a bad coach, he was an avg HC who was saddled with a QB that wasn't what he wanted.

BOB was just like Kubiak, too conservative. The fact that some Aggies on here want Kubiak back says yes, they would like a 2nd helping of mediocrity. Even though Kubiak had already had a stroke as HC of the Texans. I guess Aggie fans are kinda cruel that way.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My point is as long as DW4 keeps winning he'll get the time to work it out.

David Carr wasn't winning, his time ran out.

I don't understand comparing the two When Watson has been a huge part of why we win. A huge part of why we lose too. But as long as he wins more than he loses, he'll get the time to "figure out" how to overcome his short comings.
I get this and win or lose DW4 will be here for 4 more years. W/L doesn't matter. It's going to be a long 4 yrs.

BTW, what would you consider the probable outcome of DW4's career? I'm thinking after seeing the first 4 yrs we will see more of the same uneven play that we've seen the 1st 4 yrs.

DW4 killed BOB'S career but I will bet you he won't be the last HC whose career will be killed by DW4.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I get this and win or lose DW4 will be here for 4 more years. W/L doesn't matter. It's going to be a long 4 yrs.

BTW, what would you consider the probable outcome of DW4's career? I'm thinking after seeing the first 4 yrs we will see more of the same uneven play that we've seen the 1st 4 yrs.

DW4 killed BOB'S career but I will bet you he won't be the last HC whose career will be killed by DW4.
How did Watson kill OBs career?

JJ Watt and GM OB did more harm to OB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I see the draft as requiring 2 boards.

Board 1 / Needs
BPA for teams needs and it should go 4 rounds deep. RD5-RD7 should be BPA from Board 2.

Board 2 / Athletes
BPA are sheer athletes that scouts feel are a can't miss player regardless of position.

Teams are in their war room on draft day and as the draft develops so does their board(s).
Rounds 3-7 there is no such thing as a can't miss prospect, much less 5-7

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Aw come on now, those division championships are good for nice hats.
That's true! I'm a sucker for a fresh lid, so of course, I've got a few of 'em in my gear.

Are you replying to something?
Nah, just in general. Some Texans fans keep bragging about those so-called four team "championships", like they matter. All they represent is a ticket to the playoffs. That's all.

BOB wasn't a bad coach, he was an avg HC who was saddled with a QB that wasn't what he wanted.

BOB was just like Kubiak, too conservative. The fact that some Aggies on here want Kubiak back says yes, they would like a 2nd helping of mediocrity. Even though Kubiak had already had a stroke as HC of the Texans. I guess Aggie fans are kinda cruel that way.
Yeah, I'd say he was above average. I doubt that he's done in the NFL. Some owner will look at his record and give him a second chance. And who knows? Maybe he's learned something about coaching style and human nature and pulls a Tom Coughlin and adapts his methods to the next team.

That may be a fact, but how long do you wait to see if the magical QB is acquired. Everything is a "what if" with OB and his time should have been up before the KC meltdown...personally I think OB is one lucky dude to have survived as long as he did, he even became increasingly more powerful in the organization in spite of his abilities.

Reading up on Seahawks offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and I saw that for a large part of his coaching career he was seen as too much of a game manager. However it seems him and Russell Wilson are on the same page this season and Russell is the early favorite to become the league MVP.

Brian Schottenheimer is not my favorite choice for the job but if him, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks offense continue to have a lot of success, I think he for sure is worthy of an interview.

Brian's dad Marty was one heck of a head coach. He had post season issues but his teams almost always made the playoffs. I could see where some of Brian's dads coaching skills had to be observed by him. Anyway I am just putting his name out there to see what you all think.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Reading up on Seahawks offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and I saw that for a large part of his coaching career he was seen as too much of a game manager. However it seems him and Russell Wilson are on the same page this season and Russell is the early favorite to become the league MVP.

Brian Schottenheimer is not my favorite choice for the job but if him, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks offense continue to have a lot of success, I think he for sure is worthy of an interview.

Brian's dad Marty was one heck of a head coach. He had post season issues but his teams almost always made the playoffs. I could see where some of Brian's dads coaching skills had to be observed by him. Anyway I am just putting his name out there to see what you all think.
So BOB and Marty had something In common and you want Marty's son?

SMH

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
That's true! I'm a sucker for a fresh lid, so of course, I've got a few of 'em in my gear.
The only hats I wear are my Texan baseball caps, and now that my hair is about fifty ******* feet long, I wear them a lot. I've had a few people say "Go Texans" to me in the grocery store, and at first I'm like "why are you talking to me?" 'cause I'm not used to wearing these Texan hats as much as I do now. LOL

So BOB and Marty had something In common and you want Marty's son?

SMH
Marty's son seems to have figured things out up to this point. There is also the possibility of like father like son as far as winning a lot of games.

Marty was a damn good coach. Three of those losses were to Denver and John Elway and some bad luck. His losses were not due to poor management and being overly conservative. I realize playoff success is the best measure of a good head coach but Marty Schottenheimer was way better as a head coach than BOB. He won with three different teams. He won enough that had he been to at least one Super Bowl,"win or lose", he would now be in the NFL Hall Of Fame.

From Wiki... Schottenheimer's tenure as an NFL head coach concluded with 205 wins, which are the most of any head coach to not reach or win an NFL championship. His 200 regular season wins are also the most of NFL head coaches to not reach and win a championship. In his NFL coaching career, 17 coaches have been hired by teams that previously employed him, with all but the Chargers and Chiefs having a losing record and only the Chiefs advancing to a Super Bowl title in their post-Schottenheimer era.

As I stated, Brian Schottenheimer is not my first choice but should him and Russell Wilson finish the season strong and should Russell Wilson end the season being awarded the MVP than I think Brian Schottenheimer deserves some credit. Enough credit that he should be among the first candidates aside minority candidates to interview for the head coaching job. That is if he wants a head coaching job.

Last edited:
The only hats I wear are my Texan baseball caps, and now that my hair is about fifty ******* feet long, I wear them a lot. I've had a few people say "Go Texans" to me in the grocery store, and at first I'm like "why are you talking to me?" 'cause I'm not used to wearing these Texan hats as much as I do now. LOL
In fairness the O-line finished last season strong but reverted back to sucksville against the Chiefs in the playoffs.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I guess this is a similar stance you had about Ricky? Once Ricky left, it was no longer about Ricky and it was all about finding out if BOB could coach, calls plays and make personnel decisions without you mentioning Ricky or how much time BOB needed to overcome Ricky's incompetence and you never blamed Ricky for anything after he left. Right? :kitten:

Bro didn’t I read this correctly,” Watson killed O’Briens career.

Unbelievable the length some fans will go.