Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Forum Bugs ... Please Report

Not sure if it will help anyone, and I only spent a few minutes poking around but it doesn't seem to be the ads (that could be a problem for usability reasons) as the javascript (adsbygoogle.js) is running in only 111 ms (milliseconds).

1708747840187.png

But the overall site document for the forum is taking 10-14 seconds to load based on the few test I did, and most of that time is spent 'waiting for server response'. This is the only piece I see waiting for seconds, all other actions are taking milliseconds, so seems to be a server and/or connectivity issue.

1708747874772.png

Seems this issue started during the playoff game when there was an issue with the site certificate, could still be having a holdover effect from that(?) or the server is just being bogged down by something internally.

Working this weekend unfortunately so only spent five minutes or so on this, if I get some downtime I'll try without an ad blocker to see if anything varies.

Attachments

• 1708747719827.png
    1708747719827.png
    539 KB · Views: 0
  • 1708747767523.png
    1708747767523.png
    539 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if it will help anyone, and I only spent a few minutes poking around but it doesn't seem to be the ads (that could be a problem for usability reasons) as the javascript (adsbygoogle.js) is running in only 111 ms (milliseconds).

View attachment 13709

But the overall site document for the forum is taking 10-14 seconds to load based on the few test I did, and most of that time is spent 'waiting for server response'. This is the only piece I see waiting for seconds, all other actions are taking milliseconds, so seems to be a server and/or connectivity issue.

View attachment 13710

Seems this issue started during the playoff game when there was an issue with the site certificate, could still be having a holdover effect from that(?) or the server is just being bogged down by something internally.

Working this weekend unfortunately so only spent five minutes or so on this, if I get some downtime I'll try without an ad blocker to see if anything varies.
Could the changes in twitter and all the links to it be causing the problem? Didn't it change to X.com about the same time? Or the increase in video's posted?

Quick update the ads aren't helping - turned my ad blocker off and good god what an eye-sore. Would absolutely be a bad user experience without an ad blocker of some sort.

And it seems each of the ad images and request are taking 500 - 800 ms to complete (half second + per request). Each of the 'img?' or 'ads?' is a component of the ad being loaded on the page.

Not sure if anyone that can do anything is looking at the problem?

1708748874840.png

Could the changes in twitter and all the links to it be causing the problem? Didn't it change to X.com about the same time? Or the increase in video's posted?

Could be I'm not a network engineer, and to be quite honest I haven't been in a technical role in two decades, so I'm just trying to help out as I wouldn't want the site or the site's community to suffer if I can be of any help.

After trying without an ad blocker I do think something has gone wrong with the way the site is displaying ads, and even with an ad blocker (which is client-side) the server is still processing the ad request so you still see the long page load times even though you aren't seeing the ads.

Well, hopefully, I'm coherent this morning (very long night of production deployments and stakeholder management - I'm getting too old for this shite)...

The site is running decently this morning, even with my ad blocker off (but still a terrible user experience if you're seeing ads) so I took the same measurements as I did last night.

First, the 'waiting for server response' time is way down

1708785590483.png
1708785779189.png

Also the ad elements are loading faster - still a few in the 400-500 ms range but most drop off to ~100 ms which shouldn't be a problem (but there should realistically be less of them, it's a lot of ads)

1708785870927.png

Hopefully this information helps someone, if I'm available and there is any other testing I can help with - happy to try.

Attachments

• 1708785611814.png
    1708785611814.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
I’m still dealing with these crazy ads on my iPads, but the last couple of days the site is increasingly slower. It’s almost entirely unusable at this point, especially on an iPad. Desktop is dog slow. The ad blocker is helping on the ads side on a desktop, but it’s dog freaking slow. And yes the ads and the slowness are different fruit from the same tree. If this is not fixed, the site will crash during the draft. We already saw that on a heavy use game day. It’s heading that way if something isn’t done. Can someone explain why absolutely nothing has been done? Its been weeks of multiple people all saying the same thing and nothing changes.

I’m still dealing with these crazy ads on my iPads, but the last couple of days the site is increasingly slower. It’s almost entirely unusable at this point, especially on an iPad. Desktop is dog slow. The ad blocker is helping on the ads side on a desktop, but it’s dog freaking slow. And yes the ads and the slowness are different fruit from the same tree. If this is not fixed, the site will crash during the draft. We already saw that on a heavy use game day. It’s heading that way if something isn’t done. Can someone explain why absolutely nothing has been done? Its been weeks of multiple people all saying the same thing and nothing changes.
What is an ad blocker?

not-sure-hmm.gif

I will take you at your word and answer it straight, but it would be very helpful if I knew the type of device and browser you're using.
It's obviously self explanatory what an ad blocker does. It's not out of line for someone, myself, to be unfamiliar with such apps. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note9 and Firefox is my browser.

A quick seach of Playstore, nothing really stood out. I'd have to study up on their effectiveness; and what security risks these apps, themselves, pose.

Sounds good; but ???.

I would rather deal with the ads and never give this site another dime until one particular mod is no longer a mod.

It's obviously self explanatory what an ad blocker does. It's not out of line for someone, myself, to be unfamiliar with such apps. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note9 and Firefox is my browser.

A quick seach of Playstore, nothing really stood out. I'd have to study up on their effectiveness; and what security risks these apps, themselves, pose.

Sounds good; but ???.
I would recommend the free version of Adguard for both

I'm a contributor
Of course I'm aware that there are "contributors", but I find no link to any explanation, or benefits, from doing so. The only link I find brings up some dude, Kevin Bilberry, and another link "send". I'm not that crazy.

If you want "contributors", the site needs a thread, or post, giving more information.

I would rather deal with the ads and never give this site another dime until one particular mod is no longer a mod.

It's not an occasional ad that bothers me...it's ads that have completely and totally taken over the site. They have totally taken over. Huge ads all over every thread, making it extremely unreadable, very hard to navigate...etc. All these people saying no problems - go grab an iPad and tell me again about how it looks fine.

On a scale of 1 to 100 right now, the user experience is a flat-out ZERO. These ads are CRAZY. The site goes from decent speed to times when it's nearly crashing due to these ads. If that's Kevin's idea of a good user experience, then I don't know what to say, but I'm getting closer and closer to my wits end with this nonsense. Someone - anyone - get someone's attention to this that can actually do someting before the draft or this site is going to crash hard during the draft.

Of course I'm aware that there are "contributors", but I find no link to any explanation, or benefits, from doing so. The only link I find brings up some dude, Kevin Bilberry, and another link "send". I'm not that crazy.

If you want "contributors", the site needs a thread, or post, giving more information.
Kevin Bilberry is @Hookem Horns and is the owner of the site. Becoming a contributor removes all ads for you. Perhaps you could send him a pm if you want details of becoming a contributor. I have had no issues with my info being shared or abused.

Last edited:
It's not an occasional ad that bothers me...it's ads that have completely and totally taken over the site. They have totally taken over. Huge ads all over every thread, making it extremely unreadable, very hard to navigate...etc. All these people saying no problems - go grab an iPad and tell me again about how it looks fine.

On a scale of 1 to 100 right now, the user experience is a flat-out ZERO. These ads are CRAZY. The site goes from decent speed to times when it's nearly crashing due to these ads. If that's Kevin's idea of a good user experience, then I don't know what to say, but I'm getting closer and closer to my wits end with this nonsense. Someone - anyone - get someone's attention to this that can actually do someting before the draft or this site is going to crash hard during the draft.
The powers that be have proven they dont care.

I need help somebody. I just forked over the 5 dollars, yet I’m still seeing the ads.
What gives?

Predictably the site is dog slow and nearly unusable again. It looks like these pleas are being totally ignored, so I officially give up.

Predictably the site is dog slow and nearly unusable again. It looks like these pleas are being totally ignored, so I officially give up.
Ditto...I pop in now and then but it's just too much . Maybe someone should set up Venmo or Zelle..I don't use Pay pal

Reactions: JB
So, Adguard isn’t a scam? Hard to tell which one is which. I know Ad Block is a scam.
The Adguard I installed is an "add on" to Firefox and installed from within the Firefox app settings. I assume it has been tweaked or modified to be functional and compatible within Firefox.

Do you have to pay for that?

No but they take donations. There are some sites that watch for the ad blocker and won’t allow you to view the content. Most of the time, I just move on. If I am really interested in the content, you can allow ads on a per page, or per site basis. Just click the icon sitting in the tool bar and make your choice.

If advertising keep this site active and we choose add blockers, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?
I hope it gets fixed by draft.

Somebody did something. I don't see the ads for every thread, or ads between posts, or ads within a post anymore, so something changed. I do still get the one that when you click a link it goes to an ad that you have to close to move on, which is annoying as f***, but all of that other crap seems to be gone ..... for now.

No but they take donations. There are some sites that watch for the ad blocker and won’t allow you to view the content. Most of the time, I just move on. If I am really interested in the content, you can allow ads on a per page, or per site basis. Just click the icon sitting in the tool bar and make your choice.
I tried Ad block years past but found that Ad Guard works much better and smoother with the same functions. I also use Chrome

Back