Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

First Round Trade

The Nico Collins deal had Nick moving up 20 spots from the 4th round into the third. Of course, Caserio could have stood pat and taken Amon St. Brown where the Texans were. Trading up is often hit or miss or more often just insignificant. Occasionally it's impactful, like the Anderson trade last year. We've been conditioned to expect a big splash in the draft. The facts (draft capital in hand) suggest that's unlikely this time around.

Being on the keeping it real train is never popular.

The question is: when this group Caserio/Ryans target and acquire a player, how does that work out for the team? Evidence, so far (IMO): TARGET AWAY!

The question is: when this group Caserio/Ryans target and acquire a player, how does that work out for the team? Evidence, so far (IMO): TARGET AWAY!
If my memory is working, every pick the Texans made last year involved moving up or down in a specific manner

I know you like McConk but I am not as sold on him. Size and speed is good but he has been evaluated as having not so good hands. He was compared to Metchie but also to Tennessee Hyatt whom I liked.
Edelman is who he reminds me of. I also like Legette quite a bit.

If they can walk out of this draft with Fiske or Sweat and Mc Conkey or Legette I will be very happy.

There's a chance Caserio could move back into the 2nd using 3-86 and 4-125 and draft a CB. I actually could see a scenario where Ryans ends up getting McKinstry at 2-42, a trade up into the 2nd for Sweat or Fiske and one of the WR's fall to 2-59 like Legette/ McConkey or Pearsall. Draft Guerendo with the other 4th and sign Simmons and lets roll. This is possible.

Just a thought, but they mightve gone ahead and pulled the trigger now is because youve already decided youre ok mising out on the likely players available in that range.

You may have been able to trade down on draft day, but not if there isnt a team that wants to trade up for whatever player is on board.

Vikings could've pushed to get this done early as well so they have the ammo needed to make other moves for a qb.

Exactly, bird in hand.

OTPatrick Paul
WR Leggette
LB Payton Wilson
DL Brandon Dorlus

Available with our current (4:38 pm) round 2s.
My draft crush is Wilson.

Doubt they end up with him though. I've got him as a top 15 player in this draft.

If they can walk out of this draft with Fiske or Sweat and Mc Conkey or Legette I will be very happy.

There's a chance Caserio could move back into the 2nd using 3-86 and 4-125 and draft a CB. I actually could see a scenario where Ryans ends up getting McKinstry at 2-42, a trade up into the 2nd for Sweat or Fiske and one of the WR's fall to 2-59 like Legette/ McConkey or Pearsall. Draft Guerendo with the other 4th and sign Simmons and lets roll. This is possible.
You are definitely right. I mean, Nick has demonstrated by his words and his deeds that he views draft capital like that and is less focused on the assigned draft slot.

The Nico Collins deal had Nick moving up 20 spots from the 4th round into the third. Of course, Caserio could have stood pat and taken Amon St. Brown where the Texans were. Trading up is often hit or miss or more often just insignificant. Occasionally it's impactful, like the Anderson trade last year. We've been conditioned to expect a big splash in the draft. The facts (draft capital in hand) suggest that's unlikely this time around.

Being on the keeping it real train is never popular.
Aren't those "draft capital" measurements heavily weighted towards 1st rounders being worth a lot? We still have several picks in this draft and aren't exactly pick poor either. Nick trading up (or down) again wouldn't really be that surprising.

If my memory is working, every pick the Texans made last year involved moving up or down in a specific manner

You are definitely right. I mean, Nick has demonstrated by his words and his deeds that he views draft capital like that and is less focused on the assigned draft slot.
Last year, the Texans had the MOST draft capital of any team in the league. This year, the Texans have the 5th lowest amount of draft capital. A distinct difference, right?

Aren't those "draft capital" measurements heavily weighted towards 1st rounders being worth a lot? We still have several picks in this draft and aren't exactly pick poor either. Nick trading up (or down) again wouldn't really be that surprising.
If you're talking about moving 10 spots up in the 3rd round, right. If you're talking about moving from the 3rd into the 2nd, it's not there. The capital is not available for anything of consequence.

well the Patriots way: always trade down in the draft and get more picks. After the first couple of picks the draft is a lottery and having more picks is better than having higher picks. Plus for a Super Bowl team you need to fill out the roster with players on rookie scale contracts. I just would have loved to get another second this year - with us taking a dt , wr and cb early…
They have the ability to trade 3-85/4-125 and a 2025 3rd to get back into the top 45-50. 2-42/ 2-47/2-59 would look great on draft night. A trade like this would have to be done on draft night most likely.

You might make it up 10 spots in the 3rd with that, if the trading partner really needs an extra pick.

BTW, the 4th round picks are 4.123 & 4.127.
Throwing in a 2025 3rd would probably move them up another 10-15 spots.

Shocked Caserio would make move out of first this early. Can't help but think it has something to do with filling holes of need he still has from free agency (missing on DT) Sweat or Brandon Fiske. Or if they select WR 42nd instead, Roman Wilson or Rickie Pearsall, then Chris Jenkins DT with own 2nd. Something like that. Still have time to address DT via free agency or trade, then can get both WR & CB in 2nd.

Some dont like trading away multiple picks/future picks to target a single player. I've been a proponent of this strategy for yrs. Quality over Quantity.

The Texans 2025 3rd would be worth another 60-70 points, the value of a 2024 4th.

It's ok to make stuff up. But why not spend a minute of your life looking something up?
If you decide to go strictly by some draft chart. The human element sometimes comes into play. I could also see Caserio moving down from 2-42 to 2-47 or so and that would give him the ammo to move back up into the 2nd when you put this together with what I posted earlier. The point is Caserio has much more flexibility after this trade.

This also includes trading for Diggs, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Diggs is great when he's engaged and he/Stroud have been talking this off season.

Some dont like trading away multiple picks/future picks to target a single player. I've been a proponent of this strategy for yrs. Quality over Quantity.

I know you have. It was one of the few times you defended Rick Smith... and I agree with you, especially with Nick. Nick has skin in the game ever time he moves to get a player. That kind of conviction is exactly what we want (as long as he is working with the head coach). It is a vastly superior mentality that the Charley Casserly bullshit he spewed about what percentage of players work out at each given round.

Last year, the Texans had the MOST draft capital of any team in the league. This year, the Texans have the 5th lowest amount of draft capital. A distinct difference, right?
I am still following his behavior and I don't expect it change...see starting free agency filling the back of the roster instead of filling from the top even when going after top guys.

I am still following his behavior and I don't expect it change...see starting free agency filling the back of the roster instead of filling from the top even when going after top guys.
My advice- keep an open mind... Take a "wait and see" policy. You don't want to dig in now. This team is going for an extended winning ride and you don't want to be stuck justifying your "bearish" position, because you will miss the fun!

My advice- keep an open mind... Take a "wait and see" policy. You don't want to dig in now. This team is going for an extended winning ride and you don't want to be stuck justifying your "bearish" position, because you will miss the fun!

I am not sure that expecting Nick to move around the draft board is bearish, but okay.
and at this point in my life, I enjoy the entire process of free agency, the draft, preseason, and the games. I am in my 620 seats whether the team is good or bad or wins or loses

You actually think he’s done yet? The the way I see it, is it Nick doesn’t see much change in value between 20 and 40. So why be at the top end? You think with the way he conducted the draft last year, would allow him a little breathing room. Let him cook.
I am thinking that the players that were going to be gone at 23 would be similar to the players that will be gone at 42.

well the Patriots way: always trade down in the draft and get more picks. After the first couple of picks the draft is a lottery and having more picks is better than having higher picks. Plus for a Super Bowl team you need to fill out the roster with players on rookie scale contracts. I just would have loved to get another second this year - with us taking a dt , wr and cb early…
Well Nick did not do it the Patriots way then in 2023 nor do I expect in 2024. He was up and down all over the place. Very successful last year in my opinion. Perhaps we could get away from this Patriot Way thing and now call it the Texans Way?

I realize getting more picks is a good thing but wouldn't it have been better to wait to make the draft trades involving picks till the draft itself takes place?
Not if the Vikings were saying now or never. That round two in 2025 could be extremely valuable based on how the Vikings look today. It is a gamble but Nick has rolled them bones quite well so far

Mason just restructured, they gained some money moving from having to pay pick 23 to now 42. Can still cut Woods to make room. There is wiggle room being made.

If Barnett and Nelson are re-signed that would plug a couple holes at a value cost I suspect. DE rotation would be pretty well set and outside CB would be set for this season.
I am not opposed to having Stephen Nelson back Just At a reasonable Cap cost.

After the trade with the Vikings, the Texans are 28th in the league in 2024 draft capital. They lack the "juice" to make any significant moves up the draft board. In the two previous drafts, the Texans were at or among the top in draft capital and Caserio was able to take advantage of that. This is a different year and calls for a very different draft approach.
So our two round twos in 2024 and two round twos in 2025 not mentioning round one that year is not enough to get us high into this year's draft?

Well, show me a historical trade that follows your suggestion of bundling a mid-late 3rd + a late 4th that gets a mid 2nd.

Actually less. But that's OK.
He's got future picks that he can trade now that he didn't have before. as well as an extra 6th that he could package to move up say 4-123 the 6th and 2 7ths to move up 10 spots and pick a CB like Stiggers as an example. Also he has more cap flexibility and the ability to trade for a vet like S. Diggs that he didn't have before this trade. Just throwing this out there not looking at draft charts.

Leggett at his size and build really helped himself at the combine with a 4.39 40 and a 40 in vertical.

I am no longer interested in Kool-Aid due to his Jones fracture. There are very good cornerbacks like Sainristil and Kris Abrams-Draine who IIRC locked his opponents up ladt season.

Hart, Khyree Jackson and DJ James may be in round 4.

Well Nick did not do it the Patriots way then in 2023 nor do I expect in 2024. He was up and down all over the place. Very successful last year in my opinion. Perhaps we could get away from this Patriot Way thing and now call it the Texans Way?

Yep, he's doing thins his way in conjunction with the way Ryans wants thing done. Example: Ryans says I want Simmons in FA and McKinstry in the draft to fix the secondary. Now Caserio has the FA money to sign Simmons and the draft capital even if he has to move up a few spots to get McKinstry. He didn't have the flexibility to do this before the trade.

Leggett at his size and build really helped himself at the combine with a 4.39 40 and a 40 in vertical.

I am no longer interested in Kool-Aid due to his Jones fracture. There are very good cornerbacks like Sainristil and Kris Abrams-Draine who IIRC locked his opponents up ladt season.

I would be very happy if the Caserio could get Hart in rd.4. I would even be interested in trading up into rd.3 for him.

Guessing Nick did this because we’re going to trade for Stephon diggs. Makes absolutely no sense
I could see this, but I would go another way.

If I knew I could walk out of this draft with Fiske or Sweat/Payton Wilson and Pearsall if this meant having to trade 3-85 and the Texans 2nd rd pick next yr, I would do this in a heartbeat.

Mainly because I've got Wilson ranked as a top 15 player and I've got Sweat/Fiske as low 1sts/high nds. As well as having Pearsall as a top 50 guy that could fall to 59.

Trading for Diggs though would be an awesome weapon for Stroud to have, Collins/Diggs/Tank/Mixon/Schultz = not scoring 3 points in a playoff game.

Last edited:

Yeah, James, Hart,and Jackson seem like they will be in the 3rd/4th. Good spot to be in.

Cody Stoots did a four round PFF Texan Mock a few hours ago, and I’d sign up for this right now-
2nd (42nd) Braden Fiske DT
2nd (59th) Xavier Legette WR
3rd (86th) Max Melton CB
4th (123rd) Braelon Allen RB
4th (127th) Ben Sinnott TE
I wonder where Fiske is really rated. When I started mentioning him on this board, he was rated in the 4th or 5th rd. Now post combine, he's high 2nd. I like his motor, but he tends to get swallowed up some. If its between he and Sweat at that point, I think I would just go with the immoveable force of Sweat.

I wonder where Fiske is really rated. When I started mentioning him on this board, he was rated in the 4th or 5th rd. Now post combine, he's high 2nd. I like his motor, but he tends to get swallowed up some. If its between he and Sweat at that point, I think I would just go with the immoveable force of Sweat.
I absolutely love Fiske game. However with Autry I would pick Swift. If they pick Fiske I'll trust Ryans, he knows what he wants his defense to look like. Drafting Fiske means Davis and Settle are the run stoppers and if you draft Fiske you have a 4 man rotation of guys with diverse skillsets.

I absolutely love Fiske game. However with Autry I would pick Swift. If they pick Fiske I'll trust Ryans, he knows what he wants his defense to look like. Drafting Fiske means Davis and Settle are the run stoppers and if you draft Fiske you have a 4 man rotation of guys with diverse skillsets.
Exactly, Caserio picked up new run stoppers already. Fiske is ascending, it’s all in his film, Combine just confirmed and checked off another box. High effort/motor, smart with excellent work ethic. Doesn’t have elite measureables like JJ Watt had but he is similar in many ways.

Back