Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my biggest beef w/ this offseason so far. Besides the horrible Nuk trade, we did NOT seriously address the weakest part of our team last season... the DEFENSE!

Key Subtractions:
- Tashaun Gipson
- Jonathan Joseph
- DJ Reader

Key Additions:
- Eric Murray
- John Reid
- Ross Blacklock
- Jonathan Greenard
- Tim Jernigan

We revamped the offense this off-season, but it was the defense that needed it even more.

Not necessarily about the number of Free Agents, it is also about quality. We will see...

It is exactly, about the number of free agents first. It is the only thing that's clear about the compensatory formula.

The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32). However, compensatory picks are not divvied up equally among the teams, and no team can receive more than four compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more compensatory free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Here's my biggest beef w/ this offseason so far. Besides the horrible Nuk trade, we did NOT seriously address the weakest part of our team last season... the DEFENSE!

Key Subtractions:
- Tashaun Gipson
- Jonathan Joseph
- DJ Reader

Key Additions:
- Eric Murray
- John Reid
- Ross Blacklock
- Jonathan Greenard
- Tim Jernigan

We revamped the offense this off-season, but it was the defense that needed it even more.
They’ve lost a lot of key players on the defense in two consecutive offseason periods. Simply put, they’re less talented on that side of the ball than they were in 2018.

And Gipson, we were made to believe by the more vocal Texans FO supporters, was going to be at least as good as the honey badger. Well, that didn’t work out so well.

Sometimes when discussing the Texans with some on this board I feel like they’re trying to convince me rain isn’t wet. It’s really not hard to forecast this teams projection. They’re going in the wrong direction, or as someone tried to convince me they’re going to be different now and that’s going to be good because, we’ll, it’ll be different. Yeah, it will be. The offense will still be middle of the road in most of the more important stats but now, look at this: the defense is going to suck again. It’ll be like it was before the Manning and Joseph signing.

Get ready for Texans football 2009 version. The defense will give up 30 points a game while the offense racks up meaningless stats that will make them look decent at the end of the year.

How’s about we send OB over to North Korea, seems he’s outlasted Kim Jong Un, may be able to teach them a thing or two about how to vanquish your enemies and consolidate power for the long term :kitten:

How’s about we send OB over to North Korea, seems he’s outlasted Kim Jong Un, may be able to teach them a thing or two about how to vanquish your enemies and consolidate power for the long term :kitten:

I am not sure N.Korea would want him. He might try to trade their nuclear program to Iraq for a desert warship that used to be the best in their fleet back in the 90's.

Some excerpts from SEAN PENDERGAST below;

Indeed, you misery addicts won’t like to hear this, but here goes — Bill O’Brien NAILED his first draft as Texans' general manager.

Considering the way the tackle board fell in this draft, PLUS the fact that they got a contract extension done with Tunsil on Friday.... Laremy Tunsil is our left tackle, and that’s good.

O'Brien did a great job of filling needs with his two Day 2 selections.

And regarding OB's blow up on TV, there is this;

Seriously attempting to read lips, starting from after he puts his hands up cause I can't make out anything before then.

"Well I wanna know what happened Jack. What happened? I F-----g told him. F--k you man! That's your pick!"

The hometown media have started to go full blown GOP on OBrien. At first they hated him and held him to task, found out how awfully mean he could be and would just ignore them during media relations or shut them out entirely and then decided to kiss the ring. Just not truthful to say the man "nailed his first draft" especially when most of the same pundits say "history/time will tell the tale .. yada yada"

what we know is that Blacklock is 2 years removed from a full achilles rebuild. regardless of the advent in new technique and viability the numbers still show a worrisome possibility. OBrien knew he was going to cut Gipson prior to the draft, so I just scratch my head at not going with Delpit or at least a defender who didnt have such a glaring question mark.

It still intrigues me to see guys amp up the Heck pick and at the same time admit that he's just going to be a backup??? For a team thats in "win now" mode that pick was a total waste.

Greenard pick was a decent pick, but apparently it was for the Lions! LOL

Back end of the draft is a crap shoot for any team.

I gave the draft a B+ for going mainly defense - still to say he nailed it and go around posturing as its the best he could have done is just grandstanding for access.

The hometown media have started to go full blown GOP on OBrien. At first they hated him and held him to task, found out how awfully mean he could be and would just ignore them during media relations or shut them out entirely and then decided to kiss the ring. Just not truthful to say the man "nailed his first draft" especially when most of the same pundits say "history/time will tell the tale .. yada yada"

what we know is that Blacklock is 2 years removed from a full achilles rebuild. regardless of the advent in new technique and viability the numbers still show a worrisome possibility. OBrien knew he was going to cut Gipson prior to the draft, so I just scratch my head at not going with Delpit or at least a defender who didnt have such a glaring question mark.

It still intrigues me to see guys amp up the Heck pick and at the same time admit that he's just going to be a backup??? For a team thats in "win now" mode that pick was a total waste.

Greenard pick was a decent pick, but apparently it was for the Lions! LOL

Back end of the draft is a crap shoot for any team.

I gave the draft a B+ for going mainly defense - still to say he nailed it and go around posturing as its the best he could have done is just grandstanding for access.

For me 3 guys made this draft, Blacklock (Who I will trust CnD's thoughts on him than yours)

Greenard

Reid.

Heck/Coulter are wildcards, but good bets, because both are gifted athletically.

They’ve lost a lot of key players on the defense in two consecutive offseason periods. Simply put, they’re less talented on that side of the ball than they were in 2018.

And Gipson, we were made to believe by the more vocal Texans FO supporters, was going to be at least as good as the honey badger. Well, that didn’t work out so well.

Sometimes when discussing the Texans with some on this board I feel like they’re trying to convince me rain isn’t wet. It’s really not hard to forecast this teams projection. They’re going in the wrong direction, or as someone tried to convince me they’re going to be different now and that’s going to be good because, we’ll, it’ll be different. Yeah, it will be. The offense will still be middle of the road in most of the more important stats but now, look at this: the defense is going to suck again. It’ll be like it was before the Manning and Joseph signing.

Get ready for Texans football 2009 version. The defense will give up 30 points a game while the offense racks up meaningless stats that will make them look decent at the end of the year.

You dont like the picks and Jernigan signing to make the front 7 better?

I liked Gipson and wouldn't have cut him, but I'm looking forward to seeing who they add at the safety position. For instance would you say Eric Reid would be an upgrade?

Well......

According to BetMGM, the odds O’Brien, Marrone, and Patricia have for winning coach of the year are 50 to 1, tied for the worst odds among all 32 NFL coaches.

Of course, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick gets the best odds at 10 to 1. Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel gets 14 to 1, the same as new Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy.

The draft was a pleasant and welcomed distraction from all the corona junk taking over the world.

There’s no way to know how the players pan out of course, but I didn’t think OB screwed things up anymore than he already has. But hold my beer, 2 days later, Gipson is cut, so that train is back on track.
I love this. BOB new rating scale of success is as long as he didn’t make things worse than before. No need for improvement. Just don’t make it worse. Sad but true.

Well......

According to BetMGM, the odds O’Brien, Marrone, and Patricia have for winning coach of the year are 50 to 1, tied for the worst odds among all 32 NFL coaches.

Of course, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick gets the best odds at 10 to 1. Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel gets 14 to 1, the same as new Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy.

It's interesting that the two Belichick disciples have the worst odds.

Schrager implied that one of the reasons the Texans would repeat is because of the leadership of Bill O’Brien.

“I will give the nod to the Houston Texans right now, and Bill O’Brien has been parodied as some clown this offseason because he traded DeAndre Hopkins,” Schrager said. “Look, Bill O’Brien has been around football long time. He’s been around Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and those guys. He knows what works in a locker room. He knows what he’s looking for. Does it seem like he’s got too much power because he’s the coach, he’s the GM, and he dictates all the personnel moves as well? Well, as long as they are going to the playoffs every season and as long as they are winning, I feel like Bill O’Brien is going to have that position there.”

Since the disastrous 4-12 season, technically, the Texans have done nothing but improve under O’Brien, though the progress has been one step at a time and not journeying through some football success wormhole as the Titans have done.

Schrager implied that one of the reasons the Texans would repeat is because of the leadership of Bill O’Brien.

“I will give the nod to the Houston Texans right now, and Bill O’Brien has been parodied as some clown this offseason because he traded DeAndre Hopkins,” Schrager said. “Look, Bill O’Brien has been around football long time. He’s been around Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and those guys. He knows what works in a locker room. He knows what he’s looking for. Does it seem like he’s got too much power because he’s the coach, he’s the GM, and he dictates all the personnel moves as well? Well, as long as they are going to the playoffs every season and as long as they are winning, I feel like Bill O’Brien is going to have that position there.”

Since the disastrous 4-12 season, technically, the Texans have done nothing but improve under O’Brien, though the progress has been one step at a time and not journeying through some football success wormhole as the Titans have done.

Not to take anything away from your link, but I could probably find countless articles which speak poorly of BOB. One mans opinion is one man’s opinion. Even though some would argue that progress and improvement has been made, the biggest issue is how long it is taking and what the next few years holds. We literally have no young offensive prospects on the horizon. All of our current offensive weapons are getting old or are injury riddled. No planning for the future and we are screwed in 2-3 years.

I appreciate your posting dissenting opinion. Not that I necessarily agree, but it's nice to hear from the other side every now & then.

Not to take anything away from your link, but I could probably find countless articles which speak poorly of BOB. One mans opinion is one man’s opinion. Even though some would argue that progress and improvement has been made, the biggest issue is how long it is taking and what the next few years holds. We literally have no young offensive prospects on the horizon. All of our current offensive weapons are getting old or are injury riddled. No planning for the future and we are screwed in 2-3 years.

I appreciate your posting dissenting opinion. Not that I necessarily agree, but it's nice to hear from the other side every now & then.

I won't say that I agree with the article, but I think it is important to try to see both sides to any story. As I have said before, the truth is often somewhere in the middle.

I won't say that I agree with the article, but I think it is important to try to see both sides to any story. As I have said before, the truth is often somewhere in the middle.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Everything in the world has 2 sides. It is all based on perspective and biases.

...We literally have no young offensive prospects on the horizon. All of our current offensive weapons are getting old or are injury riddled. No planning for the future and we are screwed in 2-3 years.
Keke Coutee, 4th round 2018; Jordan Akin, 3rd round 2018; Jordan Thomas, 6th round 2018; Kahale Warring, 3rd round 2019; Tytus Howard, 1st round 2019; Max Scharping, 2nd round 2019; Leremy Tunsil, 1st round 2016 (trade); Deshaun Watson, 1st round 2017; Isaiah Coulter, 5th round 2020; Charlie Heck; 4th round 2020.

The only position not addressed to add young talent in recent years is RB.

Last edited:
Keke Coutee, 4th round 2018; Jordan Akin, 3rd round 2018; Jordan Thomas, 6th round 2018; Kahale Warring, 3rd round 2019; Tytus Howard, 1st round 2019; Max Scharping, 2nd round 2019; Leremy Tunsil, 1st round 2016 (trade); Deshaun Watson, 1st round 2017; Isaiah Coulter, 5th round 2020.

The only position not addressed to add young talent in recent years is RB.
Offensively none of those guys give me hope on building for the future as solid starters we can build our team around.

No. It’s on not trading away all of our draft picks and drafting top tier players to build a team around in the future.

But they are in their minds regardless if you agree or not

Offensively none of those guys give me hope on building for the future as solid starters we can build our team around.
So your complaint is not that there is "no young offensive talent". Your complaint is that you disagree with the talent OB has brought on board. There's a difference.

So your complaint is not that there is "no young offensive talent". Your complaint is that you disagree with the talent OB has brought on board. There's a difference.
I do not agree with the level of talent he has brought on board. Not saying it’s bad talent, but not talent that you can build a future around.

He'd rather follow the majority in hate than hope for the best

oxymoron?
JB, I love debating and talking with everyone except you. You’ve stated countless times that you put me on ignore, yet you keep talking to me. It’s really not that hard to hit ignore. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t like you in here. Especially that you just refuse to put me on ignore even after claiming several times that you have. Just do it already.

No. It’s on not trading away all of our draft picks and drafting top tier players to build a team around in the future.
We've used two firsts & two 2nds on Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, & Brandin Cooks.

These guys are still young with many years ahead of them.

Same with Gareon Conley, Vernon Hargreaves, Justin Ried, & LonnieJ. We don't know how good these guys can be, but that's just like any draft pick.

We don't have a 1st or 2nd next year. Cap space getting pretty low. So going forward will be rough for a little while. But not insurmountable.

We've used two firsts & two 2nds on Laremy Tunsil, Kenny Stills, & Brandin Cooks.

Same with Gareon Conley, Vernon Hargreaves, Justin Ried, & LonnieJ. We don't know how good these guys can be, but that's just like any draft pick.

We don't have a 1st or 2nd next year. Cap space getting pretty low. So going forward will be rough for a little while. But not insurmountable.
Good points. Still not sold on Cooks. One more concussion and he’s done. Huge wild card.

Without a one and a two, next year certainly is not promising. But next year is next year. We have football to play this year and I like the makeup of this team.

We're going to have a tough competitive division and we have the talent to play some exciting offense.

Defense is certainly my worry spot, but I'm excited to see how our front seven developes and improves over last season.

We need OTA's but so does all the teams. Training camp will need to have an emphasis placed on getting the starters ready for the season. Rookies will not have as much hands on coaching that OTA's provide and will have to "improve while on the job".

My expectation is for the Texans to retain the South title.

Last edited:
I wrote my previous comment while sitting in the parking lot at Whataburger after having me some breakfast.

Driving home I thought of another reason to be excited about this coming season.

We have a new young defensive coordinator and I'm excited to see how he is going to scheme our defense to get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Without a one and a two, next year certainly is not promising. But next year is next year. We have football to play this year and I like the makeup of this team.

We're going to have a tough competitive division and we have the talent to play some exciting offense.

Defense is certainly my worry spot, but I'm excited to see how our front seven developes and improves over last season.

We need OTA's but so does all the teams. Training camp will need to have an emphasis placed on getting the starters ready for the season. Rookies will not have as much hands on coaching that OTA's provide and will have to "improve while on the job".

My expectation is for the Texans to retain the South title.
I am hoping for this as well. The 2 big questions are if the Titans can continue their momentum from last season, or if they just got lucky at the right time, and how much Philip Rivers will boost the Colts offense.

I am hoping for this as well. The 2 big questions are if the Titans can continue their momentum from last season, or if they just got lucky at the right time, and how much Philip Rivers will boost the Colts offense.
The Titans got lucky at the right time with the Texans not playing their starters the last game of the year. Had the Texans played to win that game and done so, the Titans would not have made the wild card spot.

I wrote my previous comment while sitting in the parking lot at Whataburger after having me some breakfast.

Driving home I thought of another reason to be excited about this coming season.

We have a new young defensive coordinator and I'm excited to see how he is going to scheme our defense to get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

I have always liked the Rex Ryan style of defense and I hope Weaver brings some of those concepts to Houston.

Be that as it may, you can not discount their impressive playoff wins over the Pats AND Ravens.
True dat.

However, every year is a new year. Not just for us, but for every team. We know Tennessee has a team. But can they put it together again when teams aren’t expecting Mariota to help them out?

it’s a serious question. Can Tannehill play at a high level knowing it is expected? Can he force teams to play him & Henry?

I think they’ll be fun to watch & a threat to win the division

Who is old?

DW4?

RB? They can draft one.

TE? Fells is old but the other 3 TE's are young.

Stills/WFV/Cooks, even Cobb is only 29?

OL? Tunsil/Scharping/Martin/Howard certainly aren't old.

Who is old?

DW4?

RB? They can draft one.

TE? Fells is old but the other 3 TE's are young.

Stills/WFV/Cooks, even Cobb is only 29?

OL? Tunsil/Scharping/Martin/Howard certainly aren't old.
WR is my main concern. Fuller is no one I’m relying on given his consistent injuries every season, Cooks is one concussion away from retirement and Cobb is a good slot guy but no one I’m centering my offense around. We are lacking big time play makers we can rely on. Maybe I’m just still mourning Hopkins.

WR is my main concern. Fuller is no one I’m relying on given his consistent injuries every season, Cooks is one concussion away from retirement and Cobb is a good slot guy but no one I’m centering my offense around. We are lacking big time play makers we can rely on. Maybe I’m just still mourning Hopkins.

You're just mourning Hopkins.

Everything is going to be alright.

He'd rather follow the majority in hate than hope for the best

Hate has it's time and place b/c I've been an Oilers / Texans fan since arriving in Houston in August 1969. Been hoping for 50 years.....other Houston fans 59 years, at what point does hope finally parlay into the reality of the ultimate success? For Houston fans, that would be a AFCCG victory.

JB, I love debating and talking with everyone except you. You’ve stated countless times that you put me on ignore, yet you keep talking to me. It’s really not that hard to hit ignore. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t like you in here. Especially that you just refuse to put me on ignore even after claiming several times that you have. Just do it already.

I have never claimed to put you on ignore. You must have me mixed up with UR. I was just asking you a question, why does that offend you so much?

I have never claimed to put you on ignore. You must have me mixed up with UR. I was just asking you a question, why does that offend you so much?

Jb. We dont see eye to eye on everything. Everything is actually a lot. I wont ignore you.

Hate has it's time and place b/c I've been an Oilers / Texans fan since arriving in Houston in August 1969. Been hoping for 50 years.....other Houston fans 59 years, at what point does hope finally parlay into the reality of the ultimate success? For Houston fans, that would be a AFCCG victory.

I agree, but if you don't have hope what do you have? I've been in Houston since before the Oilers,Rockets,Astros so I share the frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back