Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he is beyond the hot seat as GM, but the article is not 100% right on JDC. This was initially mismanaged by Gaine, and Clowney did not help as he over valued his worth so anyone wanting a contract with the trade just walked away. BOB eventually ejected him for peanuts and paid half his salary, so by the time BOB got full control, I think he should have just made JDC play which most people thought he would. Anyway, Gaine was a good talent guy, bad GM, but I think the current setup leaves no checks and balances as the article states which means our future is crap

What would it take to eject Bill Obrien from the Texans? He is not a team guy and he is horrible in the locker room. (Sound familiar?) The Texans are in deep trouble with no relief in sight. The Colts and the Titans are getting better and we will be fighting it out with the Jags for cellar dweller. Would a horrible record and incredibly poor defensive stats be enough for McNair to make a change?

Oh good another thread that can devolve into the same "Fire OB", "Watson vs OB", "OB is an idiot" and of course "Watson sucks as a QB" crap that 98% of the other threads devolve into. Here I was afraid we wouldn't have a new this week. I mean, its not like this topic hasn't ever been discussed around here before.

Oh good another thread that can devolve into the same "Fire OB", "Watson vs OB", "OB is an idiot" and of course "Watson sucks as a QB" crap that 98% of the other threads devolve into. Here I was afraid we wouldn't have a new this week. I mean, its not like this topic hasn't ever been discussed around here before.
I was wondering how many replies it would take for that one. It's actually a different topic from your examples and if it wasn't, so what, what's the problem?

What would it take to eject Bill Obrien from the Texans? He is not a team guy and he is horrible in the locker room. (Sound familiar?) The Texans are in deep trouble with no relief in sight. The Colts and the Titans are getting better and we will be fighting it out with the Jags for cellar dweller. Would a horrible record and incredibly poor defensive stats be enough for McNair to make a change?

They probably would have to go 2-14. Anything above 5 wins will keep him onboard.

Overall... I'm "ok" with the players we've acquired. Losing Nuk hurt, because of sentimental reasons, but I'm ok w/ letting him go.

The biggest problem I've had w/ this offseason is the value spent. We did NOT get good value on any offseason move. The best was probably the Jernigan signing. Continuously overpaying for guys may be fine for the short-term, but it will eventually catch up to us (ie. see Rams).

They probably would have to go 2-14. Anything above 5 wins will keep him onboard.
More than ever I believe O’Brien has total control of team operations. I think he’s immune to being fired. There will always be a fall guy.

Watson better exceed expectations this year or he’ll be next on the trading block. He’s looking around and everyone he sees are people O’Brien hand-picked. The odd man out is him.

More than ever I believe O’Brien has total control of team operations. I think he’s immune to being fired. There will always be a fall guy.

Watson better exceed expectations this year or he’ll be next on the trading block. He’s looking around and everyone he sees are people O’Brien hand-picked. The odd man out is him.
If Watson gets upset, OB will send him packing and start McCarron.

I would like for you to be wrong but I'm not sure you are. It should be clearer now then ever the bulls eye is on ob's back if this team is bad.

Darth O'Brien is seemingly dressed in kevlar though and I doubt Cal has the sac to let him go.

Its gonna be a long year.

Overall... I'm "ok" with the players we've acquired. Losing Nuk hurt, because of sentimental reasons, but I'm ok w/ letting him go.

The biggest problem I've had w/ this offseason is the value spent. We did NOT get good value on any offseason move. The best was probably the Jernigan signing. Continuously overpaying for guys may be fine for the short-term, but it will eventually catch up to us (ie. see Rams).

Right. The players aren't really the issue. I mean, other than dumping a 3 time All-Pro in his prime as fast as you can, and getting a washed up RB in return.

Value, however, IS the issue. I like Duke Johnson on the TEAM, but not for a 3rd round pick. You don't give up 3rd rounders for a freaking backup RB, especially when that RB was going to be cut. Cooks may be OK, but if you're getting rid of that 3 time All-Pro with a team friendly contract, and taking on Cooks remaining $47M, that makes no damn sense. Then you're going to throw $27M at Cobb on top of that?

Last year Nuk, Fuller, Stills, Coutee and Carter costs $26.4M. Approximate, not exact.
Fuller, Cooks, Cobb, Stills and Coutee are sitting at $32.4M for 2020. Cooks and Cobb combine for $8M raises in 2021. You couldn't have given one of the best in the game that money in a year or 2?

The Hopkins trade was the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us including myself. For me, it isn't only about value in all of these trades though. It's because BOB's true colors are undeniable at this point. He's petty and vindictive and his judgment gets clouded in the haste to get rid of those that don't salute with enough enthusiasm -- so we get shafted again and again on these trades. Even if he's able to get better value on future trades, it's not possible to maintain a Coughlin-like culture in today's NFL. You have to be able to get along with star players better than BOB does and the cycle is never going to change because BOB is who he is. Maybe all of these trades work out in the short term and we're able to get to the playoffs again. But he's never going to be able to make moves in the long term interest of a team and he doesn't have the coaching acumen to overcome the fatal flaw of his personality.

NFL
Is There Anything More Bill O'Brien Can Do To Destroy The Houston Texans?

The Houston Texans don’t have a first-round pick in 2020.
They don’t have a first-round pick in 2021.
They don’t have a second-round pick in 2021.
They don’t even have their star wide receiver, DeAndre Hopkins.
What do they have? One man destroying their franchise — head coach and GM Bill O’Brien.

375x250.jpg

Looks like you're rooting for failure.

Obriens lack of creativity and putrid player evaluation has made me want to fire him for many years now, but even with all the bone headed moves as “GM” I don’t have a clue if he’s any closer to being fired than the day he was hired.

So I take it that you dont think Tunsil/Cooks/DJ/Conley are talented guys.

I hope DW4 succeeds, but if the WR corps stays healthy and DW4 doesn't succeed then they should move on.

I hope DW4 succeeds, but if the WR corps stays healthy and DW4 doesn't succeed then they should move on.
The Texans need other things to improve for them to have more success than last year. The pass rush was nonexistent and the secondary struggled. They were 29th against the pass and O’Brien has done next to nothing to help that group.

But I know Watson will be the new scapegoat, if one is needed. And I’m almost certain when the time comes to negotiate with Watson on a new contract, O’Brien will give him a take-it or leave-it low ball offer regardless of how well DW4 play’s this year. Hopkins trade taught me that.

Tunsil is good when not offsides, interesting to see how much he’ll hold O’Brien ransom.

Interesting that you think Cal McNair is the biggest idiot in football and at the same time will contort yourself in knots to defend the idiot he put in complete control.

I'm not defending anybody.

I do like what BOB's done in the trade market. You dont, we'll have to agree to disagree. There are things that I disagree with BOB too, but not everything he does is bad or wrecking the franchise like some on here carry on about.

The Texans need other things to improve for them to have more success than last year. The pass rush was nonexistent and the secondary struggled. They were 29th against the pass and O’Brien has done next to nothing to help that group.

But I know Watson will be the new scapegoat, if one is needed. And I’m almost certain when the time comes to negotiate with Watson on a new contract, O’Brien will give him a take-it or leave-it low ball offer regardless of how well DW4 play’s this year. Hopkins trade taught me that.

Hopefully they can add some talent to the Edge/CB rooms in the draft.

If they were to draft say Okwara at 40

Amik Robertson at 90

Reggie Robinson II at 111 would you consider that answering the edge/secondary issues?

How can anyone like that crap Bill O’Brien is doing. You’re just as confused as Billy O’Brien if that’s the case.

What crap?

I take it you dont like the Cooks/DJ and moving up 17 spots in the 2nd rd trade. As well as not being tied into another 5 yr 100 mil contract.

Jim Rome gives his take on the Houston Texans acquiring wide receiver Brandon Cooks from the Los Angeles Rams.

Love Jimmy - man he's still looking in great shape after all these years.

"The DeAndre Hopkins trade will go down as one of the worst in NFL Football history"
"DeAndre Hopkins is 1000% better at his job than Bill OBrien is at his job, OBrien can not let things get personal - he's not good enough at what he does to be moving future Hall of Fame players out"

Wow.

but yeah Brandin Cooks will be just as good as Nuk Hopkins cuz OBrien will finally be able to run the offense he hasnt been able to in the last 7 years LMAOOOOOOO.

Ouch is right. Rome said, "Hopkins is a million times better at his job than O'Brien is at his". Too funny.
I think Rome read this board and just summed it up nicely for us. The one thing BOB does have is conviction, doing what he must think is right no matter what others think. So if it somehow works, wow, we eat crow, if it fails, Cal knows who to fire as BOB is standing on that limb by himself. I do see what BOB is doing, but the value leakage with each move is where I just cannot understand how he gets taken to the woodshed on each deal

I think Rome read this board and just summed it up nicely for us. The one thing BOB does have is conviction, doing what he must think is right no matter what others think. So if it somehow works, wow, we eat crow, if it fails, Cal knows who to fire as BOB is standing on that limb by himself. I do see what BOB is doing, but the value leakage with each move is where I just cannot understand how he gets taken to the woodshed on each deal

Value leakage?

You're what you're worth in trade.

Come on Steelb, you know some of these he could have bargained better, not sent a 4th, not paid all of DJ's salary etc. I know I was not in the room, but as elated as the Cardinals are, you know a little bit of bargaining, walking away for a bit,and patience could have gotten them to sweeten it a bit. I don't think Rams had a line of people for Cooks and needed money to sign draft picks, they were more desperate then us. This one was not as bad, but I still think there is always a bit of meat at the table and I judge it by the smiling afterwards. My sweet wife insists on paying full price in Mexico, those people are so happy with her, she thinks they like her, but really they are thinking something else

Come on Steelb, you know some of these he could have bargained better, not sent a 4th, not paid all of DJ's salary etc. I know I was not in the room, but as elated as the Cardinals are, you know a little bit of bargaining, walking away for a bit,and patience could have gotten them to sweeten it a bit. I don't think Rams had a line of people for Cooks and needed money to sign draft picks, they were more desperate then us. This one was not as bad, but I still think there is always a bit of meat at the table and I judge it by the smiling afterwards. My sweet wife insists on paying full price in Mexico, those people are so happy with her, she thinks they like her, but really they are thinking something else

King said there were multiple offers for Cooks, just as there were for Nuk.

The deal of Nuk for Cooks/pick 40/DJ and a 2022 4th isn't a bad deal. IMHO

Depends on if they hit on pick 40 before I can judge this trade. If they can draft a differencemaker at 40 then this was a good trade.

What in the world is Bill O'Brien doing?

Bill O'Brien was at it again last week, which is to say that the head coach of the Houston Texans continued to flaunt just how overmatched he is as the general manager of the Houston Texans. In these troubled times, O'Brien's inability to understand roster value might be the one thing on which we can all agree.
To be clear: O'Brien has coached the Texans for six seasons, a stretch in which his regular-season record of 52-44 has been the fifth-best in the AFC. In other words, O'Brien is just fine as a head coach. But now that he's had the chance to louse up personnel decisions for two consecutive offseasons - and in January he was formally given the title of GM, LOL - it's fair to wonder whether someone ought to take away his keys to that side of the building.
Last week, O'Brien traded a second-round pick (No. 57 overall) in next week's draft to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for wideout Brandin Cooks and a 2022 fourth-rounder. Cooks will be 28 in September, and he certainly can still be a terrific receiver. But he's also on his fourth team in five seasons, and he's coming off what was far and away the least productive year of his NFL career - a season in which he suffered a pair of concussions within the span of a month.

I don’t agree about O’Brien being “just fine” as coach, but everyone is entitled.

So either Cal likes the job BO’b is doing & believes BO’b can take this little ole club from Texas to the promised land.

Or he doesn’t like his options at the current time. Let’s imagine Cal wanted Dabo. But Dabo said no last year & Dabo said no this year.

So, you’re Cal & you’re not going to fire BO’b & roll the dice. You’re going to wait until your guy becomes available. Yeah, you’re still waiting on Dabo, but who else?

Arians was my guy. As soon as I heard he wanted back in the game, I’d have flown the private jet to pick him up, wine & dine him, drug & hold him hostage if I had to.
I’d have made a run at McCarty, but not really

who are you waiting for, to become available to be the next HC of the Houston Texans?

So either Cal likes the job BO’b is doing & believes BO’b can take this little ole club from Texas to the promised land.

Or he doesn’t like his options at the current time. Let’s imagine Cal wanted Dabo. But Dabo said no last year & Dabo said no this year.

So, you’re Cal & you’re not going to fire BO’b & roll the dice. You’re going to wait until your guy becomes available. Yeah, you’re still waiting on Dabo, but who else?

Arians was my guy. As soon as I heard he wanted back in the game, I’d have flown the private jet to pick him up, wine & dine him, drug & hold him hostage if I had to.
I’d have made a run at McCarty, but not really

who are you waiting for, to become available to be the next HC of the Houston Texans?

Oh he likes what he’s doing. That’s why he promoted him to GM.

How did Bill O'Brien become one of the most powerful coaches in the NFL? Here is a good listen. Evan Silva chronicled how bad his offenses were in college, how he got to the Patriots and became OC right when Moss and Gronk arrived.
  • It's amazing how fast BO'b became such a powerful HC without doing great things along the way
  • At his core, BO'b is run, run, pass coach
  • As the OC at Duke before joining the Patriots, he couldn't even field a top 100 college offense
  • When O'Brien was with the Patriots, there were 5 Hall of Fame players on offense
  • He is so ambitious, but so incompetent

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bill-obrien-cooking-the-books/id1013135614?i=1000471542649

Last edited:
That was like speed reading through this forum. Brutal. I think they're right about fans rooting for a 4-12 season. Some are hoping that O'Brien gets the axe. Others are hoping Watson takes the fall and is dealt.

I just can't watch and hope the Texans lose. I just can't.

That was like speed reading through this forum. Brutal. I think they're right about fans rooting for a 4-12 season. Some are hoping that O'Brien gets the axe. Others are hoping Watson takes the fall and is dealt.

I just can't watch and hope the Texans lose. I just can't.

I always want the Texans to win and would never project a losing record regardless of the organizations rampant stupidity.

OB wants to win to keep his NFL status but down deep, he has no clue as to how a top franchise is built through the draft, free agency, great coaching and player retention.

Watson wants to win in spite of OB b/c that's his competive nature. Watson also knows that every win he helps put in the column is another win that keeps OB on as GM/HC.

Watson wins...OB wins....Watson gets tired of the Texans Cal & OB Circus and prices himself out of the Texans budget. Watson goes to a new organization and OB is given another 6 years to finally field a team in his vision since Watson wasn't really his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back